Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This a Good Solution to Part Time Drama?
Sugar Magnolia 10:17 AM 01-23-2013
I have 6 children that attend part time, filling 3 spots. Seems like every week, one of them is asking to switch days. I try to help by calling other parents to see if they can switch, but then if they can't, the switch requester is acting put out if the requestee can't accommodate. I have made up a chart showing who comes on what days, and attached a note:
"Parents, this is the part-time roster. As you can see, it is full. If you need to switch a day, I can assist you only by providing the other parents phone number to you,. Outside of that, I cannot serve as the "middle man" and arrange for schedule changes. Please remember, this is a REQUEST, and the other parents are in no way obligated to switch days with you. Thank you for your cooperation."
That sounds fair, doesn't it? I need to end the switch-a-roo hassle and drama . Other suggestions?
daycare 10:20 AM 01-23-2013
I have the same thing going on here too. except I do have open space for the PT its just that if I switch them, they could be putting me over my capactiy which would mean the only way to let them switch is to have my assistant come in on that day. Which then means money out of my pocket to pay them.

YOur situation sounds a little harder in which I would have to say I am sorry, but I can not accommodate schedule changes at this time.
Play Care 10:23 AM 01-23-2013
I know you are trying to accomodate your clients, but as a parent I would be annoyed if I was getting phone calls to switch days all the time (or even once in a while) and I would feel put on the spot when asked.
I don't allow switching, ever. They sign up for certain days and those are what they pay for/use.
Blackcat31 10:26 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I have 6 children that attend part time, filling 3 spots. Seems like every week, one of them is asking to switch days. I try to help by calling other parents to see if they can switch, but then if they can't, the switch requester is acting put out if the requestee can't accommodate. I have made up a chart showing who comes on what days, and attached a note:
"Parents, this is the part-time roster. As you can see, it is full. If you need to switch a day, I can assist you only by providing the other parents phone number to you,. Outside of that, I cannot serve as the "middle man" and arrange for schedule changes. Please remember, this is a REQUEST, and the other parents are in no way obligated to switch days with you. Thank you for your cooperation."
That sounds fair, doesn't it? I need to end the switch-a-roo hassle and drama . Other suggestions?
I wouldn't feel comfortable providing other parents contact info to parents.

I would suggest offering part time care in blocks

I offer M,W,F or T/Th options only.

If they need to have a varying schedule or one that is changeable from week to week, they need to pay for a full time space.

Easy peasy fix---give it to the parents to figure it out. Just like a convenience store...you pay more for convenience/availability.

I don't mess with the merry-go-round of needing this one day and something different the next.

I am too old to deal with that much flexibility.
Sugar Magnolia 10:28 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I know you are trying to accomodate your clients, but as a parent I would be annoyed if I was getting phone calls to switch days all the time (or even once in a while) and I would feel put on the spot when asked.
I don't allow switching, ever. They sign up for certain days and those are what they pay for/use.
Excellent point! I didn't think of the annoyance factor. Thank you.
daycare 10:31 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

If they need to have a varying schedule or one that is changeable from week to week, they need to pay for a full time space.

Easy peasy fix---give it to the parents to figure it out. Just like a convenience store...you pay more for convenience/availability.

I don't mess with the merry-go-round of needing this one day and something different the next.

I thought this too. I NEVER give out any information of DCP to one another. In fact, I am not allowed to.
Sugar Magnolia 10:33 AM 01-23-2013

Another good point, about the phone numbers. They do all know that their days are set days, and that I absolutely don't do drop-in care. It's really only 2 families out of the six that ask for switches a lot. Ugh. Sticky.
Blackcat31 10:38 AM 01-23-2013
Another good point, about the phone numbers. They do all know that their days are set days, and that I absolutely don't do drop-in care. It's really only 2 families out of the six that ask for switches a lot. Ugh. Sticky.
Maybe with those two families you could tell them that any schedule changes will cost them $20 per request? Bet they would think twice then about really needing that change....

What do these parents do that requires them to need such last minute switcheroo's?

THAT would weigh heavily into my willingness to accommodate.
Sugar Magnolia 10:39 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have the same thing going on here too. except I do have open space for the PT its just that if I switch them, they could be putting me over my capactiy which would mean the only way to let them switch is to have my assistant come in on that day. Which then means money out of my pocket to pay them.

YOur situation sounds a little harder in which I would have to say I am sorry, but I can not accommodate schedule changes at this time.
Kind of a similar situation! My capacity is 15, and I have 10 full timers. I prefer to enroll 13, but if I filled the two remaining spots, I could make my other.assistant a full time employee, but I don't want to do that just to accommodate part time switchers. Would rather enroll solid full timers if I'm going to do that. Kwim?
Sugar Magnolia 10:42 AM 01-23-2013
Maybe with those two families you could tell them that any schedule changes will cost them $20 per request? Bet they would think twice then about really needing that change....

What do these parents do that requires them to need such last minute switcheroo's?

THAT would weigh heavily into my willingness to accommodate.
Work. Waitress jobs.
Good idea about the convenience charge!
countrymom 10:43 AM 01-23-2013
I also do first come first serve. So if I don't get your schedual by sunday then you get whats left. Also, why is it that you have to juggle the schedual, parents can juggle their schedual too. I worked part time for years, if I couldn't work on a certain day then I would go and see if I can switch, so they can do it too.
Sugar Magnolia 10:52 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I also do first come first serve. So if I don't get your schedual by sunday then you get whats left. Also, why is it that you have to juggle the schedual, parents can juggle their schedual too. I worked part time for years, if I couldn't work on a certain day then I would go and see if I can switch, so they can do it too.
I don't HAVE to, I just want to help. Just tired of it.
daycare 11:00 AM 01-23-2013
like you I also like to help...LOve it when I can for those that are good with my rules and policies.

I have set days for my PTers. If they need to switch a day they have to pay for it. I actually don't call it switching. I call it additional days.

So if johnny comes tue and thurs and mom asks if johnny can come on friday, instead of thursday my response would be sure no problem. I will add friday to your invoice. He is still welcome to come on thursday, please let me know if he will be here on thursday or not as soon as possible.

and I leave it at that.... It is way too hard to juggle so many schedule and the type of program I have and then my asst.

Like you said, you would have to have your asst there FT, which I am sure would mean more money out of your pocket...
itlw8 11:00 AM 01-23-2013
I would not give out any numbers without the parents agreeing to do so.
If they want to do so they need to talk to each other about exchanging numbers.

My parents sign up for the p/t days they need. If they need other days they need a f/t opening and pay even when they do not come.
Sugar Magnolia 11:01 AM 01-23-2013
After all your replies, maybe change it to this.
"Parents, this is our part-time roster. As you can see, it is full. If you would like to switch any days, I can assist you only by asking another parent if they can accommodate a switch. Please limit requests for changes, emergencies only please. "
But then I am back to being the middle man!? Usually, another parent CAN switch, most are flexible, I'm just sick of arranging it.
Giving out phone numbers is not a good idea, I can see that now. Thanks ladies!
Sugar Magnolia 11:04 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I would not give out any numbers without the parents agreeing to do so.
If they want to do so they need to talk to each other about exchanging numbers.

My parents sign up for the p/t days they need. If they need other days they need a f/t opening and pay even when they do not come.
That's my policy too, I am just too nice I guess. I want to help, but some have been abusing my niceness.
daycare 11:04 AM 01-23-2013
"Parents, this is our part-time roster. As you can see, it is full. If you would like to switch any days, I can assist you only by asking another parent if they can accommodate a switch. Please limit requests for changes, emergencies only please. "
But then I am back to being the middle man!? Usually, another parent CAN switch, most are flexible, I'm just sick of arranging it.
I am thinking about doing this...... if you have a change in your schedule that is temp. You need to report any request for changes the Friday before the following week. you will be notified on monday if your changes are able to be met or not . I don't allow for any changes on monday day at all because this day is just NUTS....................
Zoe 11:17 AM 01-23-2013
I have a current family where the mom is a nursing student and her schedule changes CONSTANTLY! Originally it wasn't a problem because she always needed afternoons so I filled the morning slot with another child. Well then when her schedule changed to needing mornings too I was lucky enough to get a variance until one of the kids aged into another category so I wasn't above my ratios. After this happened I just asked her to pay for a full-time slot so that I don't have to fill it with another part-timer. This way she has access to all five days for whatever hours she needs within my operating hours. Granted, I feel badly when she only needs a couple hours a week, but boy it takes the hassle away from all the schedule changes! She gets it, so there's really no drama on her end of it.

I agree with what some of the PP's said about charging for changes if you're going to keep all the part-timers. Otherwise I'd just make some of them pay for a full-time spot regardless of attendance and end the drama period.
kathiemarie 11:43 AM 01-23-2013
Couldn't you ask the parents if they are ok with giving out thier number to the other part time parents? Tell them what the list would be for and then the prents that are ok with being asked about switching can have thier name go on the list the ones that don't want be asked can stay off it. You should not have to call around to find out if someone can switch for someone else.
Blackcat31 11:47 AM 01-23-2013
How about something like this:

Dear DCP

Here is our part time roster. As you can see it is full. If you would like to switch days, please make the request as much advance as possible and if I am able to accommodate the request I will let you know.

Please note, that my "to-do list" is already pretty busy and there will be more times than not that your request for a switch will not be accommodated.

If your job makes it a regular occurance to switch up your days, you might want to consider inquiring about a full time space. This will ensure availability at ALL times for whatever changes you need to make.

Thank you

"Tired-of-trying-to-please-everyone-all -the-time" Provider

Sugar Magnolia 11:49 AM 01-23-2013
Excellent letter BC!!! LOVE IT! Sold.
Sugar Magnolia 11:53 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by kathiemarie:
Couldn't you ask the parents if they are ok with giving out thier number to the other part time parents? Tell them what the list would be for and then the prents that are ok with being asked about switching can have thier name go on the list the ones that don't want be asked can stay off it. You should not have to call around to find out if someone can switch for someone else.
Hmmm..... I could see that working too. Ask them if they would like to provide their number...get permission. Might work! But then there is the annoyance factor that Play Care mentioned..
daycare 11:55 AM 01-23-2013
How about something like this:

Dear DCP

Here is our part time roster. As you can see it is full. If you would like to switch days, please make the request as much advance as possible and if I am able to accommodate the request I will let you know.

Please note, that my "to-do list" is already pretty busy and there will be more times than not that your request for a switch will not be accommodated.

If your job makes it a regular occurance to switch up your days, you might want to consider inquiring about a full time space. This will ensure availability at ALL times for whatever changes you need to make.

Thank you

"Tired-of-trying-to-please-everyone-all -the-time" Provider
I think that I am going to steal this as well.......love it!! BC you really need to have your own site of DCK letters....sell them a $1.00 each.... you will be retired by the end of the week......lol
Blackcat31 12:33 PM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I think that I am going to steal this as well.......love it!! BC you really need to have your own site of DCK letters....sell them a $1.00 each.... you will be retired by the end of the week......lol
I wish! Most the time, I just type them with whatever comes out of my head.....

I am glad God gave me a talent but I sure wish it was "being lucky at picking lottery numbers" or something useful
daycare 12:44 PM 01-23-2013
hey you are useful......... I don't know what I would do without you and I knowmany others could say the same
Abigail 11:10 PM 01-23-2013
LOL I like the letter as well, but I don't see the point in posting a roster just simply saying "it's full" should be enough. I also wouldn't want to continue asking even though you want to help. You are offering to help by offering a full time position. Honestly, I like the idea that you are contracted for these days and when you need to switch you pay for the additional day or have a convenience fee. If you're at max capacity it wouldn't work, but charging a fee for each switch until you did get full time spots filled would be a good extra perk.
My3cents 04:12 AM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by Abigail:
LOL I like the letter as well, but I don't see the point in posting a roster just simply saying "it's full" should be enough. I also wouldn't want to continue asking even though you want to help. You are offering to help by offering a full time position. Honestly, I like the idea that you are contracted for these days and when you need to switch you pay for the additional day or have a convenience fee. If you're at max capacity it wouldn't work, but charging a fee for each switch until you did get full time spots filled would be a good extra perk.
only if the fee covered the help you would have to bring in to accommodate. I would help by offering them a full time spot and not this week to week stuff. It is one thing to help (I too love to help) but it is another to always be wondering what your week is going to look like as far as kids coming when and keeping everyone's schedule together and having your help come in to work. I prefer the idea of moving the part timers up to a full time slot to accommodate rotation and asking for parents schedule the friday before the week starts.
Meeko 05:04 AM 01-24-2013
I'm exhausted just reading all this!

I don't care about FT/PT/shifts etc. I have 16 places in my daycare. They are a certain price per week. Take it or leave it. That way everyone "owns" their place and can use it however they wish. No switching, no asking if they can come early or late. As long as they don't drop off before 6AM or pick up after 6PM...I'm a happy camper.

I would go completely nuts (well...MORE nuts) if I had to try and juggle everyone.

I do have a few kids on a drop-in basis. Their parents call to see if I have room. If another child is on vacation or out sick, then I take the drop-in.....but that's all.

I would just let the parents be grown-ups and arrange their own schedules. You're busy enough already!
cheerfuldom 05:55 AM 01-24-2013
I would never encourage parents to talk to each other by providing phone numbers, LOL

I have nothing to hide, just heard to many bad stories about providera making sure their DCPs have access to each other....they seem to become friends and then band against the provider more often than not
Tags:part time
Reply Up