Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OSBI Background Check Question
Unregistered 12:04 PM 08-18-2010
This is for the state of oklahoma

I got a job at a daycare full time... Worked for about a month and a half, then got fired because she told me she couldn't keep me because of my background results.

I never thought of anything when I applied for this job, this is the career that I have chosen to take for myself. I have 3 children. I have completed my ELCCT, cpr&first aid, got the food handlers permit, and was looking into future CDA.

The osbi came back for something that I had gotten in trouble for from 2006.
Public intox
&
Malicious injury to property.

I was not convicted of either, got a deferred sentence, was expunged of the case, is no longer on my record, it is sealed (withen the court), I was cleared!!

But I guess not on the back ground OSBI check, it came up

To tell you the truth, I didn't even think about this that happened so long ago, especially since I was cleared from the court and that it wasn't anything, ya know, "wierd" that I got in to trouble for.

But my boss at this daycare said that she couldn't keep me, that DHS was very picky etc... and wouldn't allow it.

Was this true? And are all daycares like this?

What is, and what is not exceptable on OSBI background checks?

TIA
mac60 02:53 PM 08-18-2010
I would be contacting an attorney and be finding why it is still on your records, it should not be if it was expundged. It should be sealed. I have read articles on this before, where things were expundged yet it didn't get processed properly and showed up during checks.
Crystal 03:51 PM 08-18-2010
You can contact the licensing agency and request an exemption. Good luck.
Unregistered 10:10 AM 08-19-2010
well, I was just wondering what would be some of the reasons that you would not hire from an OSBI on someone. Do you accept some things, and not others, is it true that you can't hire for some things because of DHS regulations etc..??

Also, I looked into an attorney, and yes I do have to go through an attorney to get it expunged from my record so it will be cleared off of my OSBI checks, when it was expunged from the court that meant that it was only cleared from "public" eye, you can look me up on the computer for my state, and I won't show up for anything, but if you run a check on my osbi, it comes back.

Sadly, for my state, I can't get it cleared because the case itself took more than a year to clear, it has to take less than a year???? stupid, anyway....

I was just wondering, since there seem to be many workers/owners here if this was true on not being able to hire me because of this.
katie 06:04 PM 08-20-2010
In Florida even if it gets expunged anything at all on the record or ever was must be disclosed to the DCF. In the case of getting licenced to do childcare, becoming a cop, or working for the DCF you have to disclose it even if it is sealed or expunged. Apparently they have the authority to see those items. You have to apply for an exemption with the licencing and prove you are no longer a threat or never were a threat with all kinds of hoops: documents showing the arrest, how and if you pleaded, if charges were dropped, any rehabilitation info, testimonies of employers, etc. I researched this for a similar reason and it looks like a mess! Hope it works out for you.
Tags:background check, oklahoma
Reply Up