Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Daycare Problem?
Unregistered 06:53 AM 09-09-2020
Hello, I've never posted here but I am totally confused on what to do or how to even go about this situation. I have a 9m old in daycare hes on his 2nd week attending, hes been doing fine. Hes been coming home with bruises on his knees and i always wonder how he even gets them? What could he possibly be doing if all he does is crawl, if he was running/walking bruised knees would be understandable. Today 9/8 I picked him up and he had a red mark under his eye, I asked the teacher "Is this a bite?" Looked alot like a mosquito bite or some sort of bite. She said oh no he fell, I said oh? Was no one going to call me or let me know because its really close to his eye? She said " I was going to make an indicent report after the other child in the class was done eating." I thought to myself so I guess a hit in the face is no priority for them huh. Mind you there was 2 teachers in his class everyday when I pick him up so how could one not make the report and the other feed the baby. Common sense. Right? Haha nope.
Anyway, I asked her what time it happened? I arrived to pick him up at 4:15 by the time I signed him out ut was 4:17. She replied with 4:15 mind you my sons face turns red and it stays red for minutes after he's done crying because he's lighter skinned tone so it's obvious when he's cried. I started wondering to myself? What? She said 4:15 I was here already. She had also told me that they struggled for a little while to get him to calm down because he was crying alot. I called after I left to talk to a manager. The manager brushed it off as hes crawling it happens. But what im wondering is why wasn't I contacted? Why is the teacher lying about the time? Why wasn't the report done right after it happened? Idk how to go about it. This is my first kid I've ever had in daycare so I don't even know what I can do. Its a new daycare that just opened in February and paying 220 a week for my son to have all this stuff happening to him all because I wanted a break cause his dad works alot. I feel so guilty.
rosieteddy 07:50 AM 09-09-2020
Not knowing how he was injured is frustrating for you.I know as a long time caretaker that children in group care is different than home with you. If it was my child I might make a point of stopping by to check on him. I personally would maybe pick up before lunch. See if there are the appropriate teachers there. Maybe come at 3 pm or when nap time is over another day. Don't tell them you are coming ,just drop in.Now this will annoy them and you should take your child home with you when you stop in.I am a firm believer of one drop off ,one pickup per day. From your post it seems like you don't need care to work,but for respite. Go with your gut feeling investigate.Good luck.
Cat Herder 09:36 AM 09-09-2020
Bruising to the top of his knees would make me suspect he may be banging them kicking in the highchair when he is ready to get down but they are not quite ready for him or it is taking a bit longer to get his food to him than he is used to.

Bruising to the bottom of knees would make me suspect crawling on hard floors or dropping back down from standing at the toy shelves.

Both would be common bumps and bruises that most group providers would not really take notice of as they are expected.

The small mark under his eye could be from learning to use a book for the first time, pulling a toy from another child that gave way sooner than he expected or even faceplanting in the toy box as is pretty common of wobblers.

I'd look for the most likely scenario before assuming malice. We are not required to record them unless they require treatment or the child was visibly upset and injured. Most kids don't even notice the small bumps and bruises unless we make them.
Bluemoon5 11:30 AM 09-09-2020
At my center, policy is anything above the neck is a report and an automatic call home. Below the neck is usually a report and a call home depending on the severity/ our discretion. You get to know the parents; some appreciate the heads up, some wonder why we're bothering them at work.

In the case of the bruised knees, that probably wouldn't warrant a report or a call unless there was a very specific incident. Since you are new to the center, I may have mentioned it the first time at pickup, let you know that it was common/expected and not brought it up again.

As for the red mark, if it happened here I would have called, especially because you were new. But things happen. Even with one or two other teachers in the room, there have been times when I just didn't get a second to call. I fully intend to call after I finish whatever, then ten other things need my attention. If I'm on the phone to a parent, I'm not giving my full attention to the other kids. It's possible the incident happened right before you walked in. I usually round when marking the time down. If an incident happened at 4:12 I'll probably put 4:15.

If you are comfortable with everything else at the center, I might let this one go and see what happens next time. Maybe let the teachers know that you know things happen and they're busy but you'd really appreciate a heads up when something happens.
Tags:care, day, daycare, florida, florida licensing, group care vs nanny care, unrealistic expectations
Reply Up