Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Not really crazy

Default Those That Take Christmas to New Years Off

What are you taking off this year? Christmas falls on Wednesday and so does New Years, making for an odd break. I like to take Christmas Eve off which is on Tuesday, I don't really want to work just on Monday. But if I take the whole break it is a 13 day break.

Which sounds awesome!

to me.

But probably not to the dcp's.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Daycare.com Member

I'm off that whole week and the following whole week. Parents know well in advance and I actually don't charge for those 2 weeks, so it's basically a non issue here.

As long as they have plenty of notice I don't see it as an issue.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Daycare.com Member

I do the same. On Monday if I have any kids it will be a movie day, play dough etc. I fully expect having kids because it will be my parents day to get everything done for their Christmas.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:12 AM

I will be off Monday, December 23rd through Friday, December 27th.

I will be open on Monday December 30th as well as Tuesday December 31st (but only until 3:00) and then closed on Wednesday January 1st.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Daycare.com Member

I usually take the same days off as the school, but with the full two,weeks, I still don't know exactly how/if I am going to do it. Honestly I don't like to take the time off unless we are going somewhere as otherwise all I do is the same thing I do every day but in a different order.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I'm taking off the whole week of Christmas. I have Christmas Eve, Day and Day after (if it falls on weekday) off as paid and then I will be taking Monday and Friday off unpaid. Then I'll be open the next week except for New Years Eve and Day (Also paid)

I can't wait!!!! I so need a week off.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:21 AM
Daycare.com Member

I follow the school calendar so will have the full 2 weeks off. Can't wait! Love having the school schedule. Does make it a little hard to get dck's though. I usually try to be fair and only charge my parents for half the school vacations, but it isn't usually a full 2 weeks for christmas, so I guess I need to figure out how I will charge this year.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Advanced Daycare Member

I have teacher's kids & they are both off the week of Christmas & the week after so I am closed for both weeks!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I will be off Monday, December 23rd through Friday, December 27th.

I will be open on Monday December 30th as well as Tuesday December 31st (but only until 3:00) and then closed on Wednesday January 1st.
This! Except I don't close early on NYE. But yeah. This.

I CAN"T WAIT!!!

Longest break I've had in almost 4 years (it will be 4 Jan 11, '14)

that's not actually a happy enough smiley to accurately convey my feelings on the subject. I let everyone know with my 2013 calendar that I handed out last January. Two of those days (christmas Eve and christmas day) are with pay; the rest are without. I put on the calendar that payment for those days is due the previous friday by pick up, or late fees would begin to accrue.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:55 AM
New Daycare.com Member

I am takin off the whole two weeks his year. This is the first time I took the 2 weeks off. I gave my parents plenty of notice. I'm not charging them so they are all ok with it. I'm excited and can't wait to take this time off with my own kids!!!
Old 10-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Family Childcare Provider

I'm taking off the whole week and then as of now I only have one boy on Tues & Thurs the week after since I'm closed on Wednesday. Last year I only took of Christmas Eve & Christmas and boy was that a mistake. We also had a stomach bug and the flu going around and DCP still wanted to bring her DCB. Ugh it was a nightmare. I know now that I want to take those 3 days off at least. We're going out of town this time and one family is leaving after Dec and the other is only PT.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Daycare.com Member

I will be closed the entire week of Christmas and closed until wed (new years day) the next week. So I will re open jan 1st. BUT I am considering taking those last two days too- I get half pay for all the other days but would take the last two un paid if I take them off-
I LOVE having the Christmas break off- we really have some great family time- best choice I ever made when I decided to do it. And now my families that have been here love havig it off to
Old 10-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Daycare.com Member

I normally close early on the eves and closed on the holiday and that's it. This year I only used 3 vacation days, so I decided to use some then. I will be open Monday and Tuesday (closing at 3pm) and closed until Jan. 2! My own kiddos are excited to only have the dc kiddos here one full day of their break. Christmas eve I will probably only have 1 until noonish.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Daycare.com Member

*sigh* I'm not sure yet. The only days I'll get paid for are the 2 actual holidays and I can't afford taking much time off, especially that time of year. Maybe I'll close early Christmas Eve and NYE. Or maybe I'll win the lottery and can give my 2 weeks notice now.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:33 AM

I'm closed Dec.23 through Jan.3rd. I can't wait!!!!!!! I really, really need a break-I'm so worn out and about - this close - to my breaking point.
I have mostly teacher's kids anyhow and I don't really want to 'enjoy" the sa-ers during the holidays
Old 10-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
*sigh* I'm not sure yet. The only days I'll get paid for are the 2 actual holidays and I can't afford taking much time off, especially that time of year. Maybe I'll close early Christmas Eve and NYE. Or maybe I'll win the lottery and can give my 2 weeks notice now.
Winning the lottery has been my backup plan for the last 6 months but it hasn't panned out yet!
Old 10-02-2013, 11:45 AM

I'm closed Dec.23 to Jan.2 this year.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:28 PM
mac n peas

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofboys View Post
I have teacher's kids & they are both off the week of Christmas & the week after so I am closed for both weeks!
Same here
Old 10-02-2013, 01:53 PM
New Daycare.com Member

I should have taken off the whole first week of Christmas break. But, I'm not. I will be closed Christmas Day and New Years Day. I have two teacher kids so they will be gone all of break. My other three will still need care. Which is fine. But, now wishing I would have taken a bit more time off.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Daycare.com Member

I'm taking Monday, Dec 23- Wed, Jan 1st off.
Dec 24-25 and Jan 1st are paid holidays.
Dec. 23, Dec. 26-27, and Jan. 31-31 are 5 paid vacation days.
They know the dates I am closed for the whole year each August when school starts.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:03 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Default vacation days

I have been giving my dcp a list of days off and early closings a year ahead of time for the last 3 years. I try to make appointments such as routine doctor's and dentist's the year ahead.
I have taken off the week between Christmas and New Year's due to the way the holiday falls in the week. I think as long as they have ample notice (and I don't charge for the holidays if I take them off in a block of time) they should be fine.
I also have a policy that I do not charge if the kids are not in day care. Helps a lot during cold and flu season. Parents are more inclined to keep a sick child home if they don't have to "pay anyway".
I also go through the calendar for the upcoming year and give myself 3 day weekend in the months where there is no holiday--call them "mental health days".
I hand this list over to parents in January--of course--I always have to post a reminder on the door a couple of days ahead of time for early closings and days off--they will forget to consult the paper after the first couple of months.
This system has worked very well for me and has made the difference on 2 occasions as to whether I got the child or they went to another day care. (there is a lot of competition in my area).
Old 10-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Daycare.com Member

I will be closed for 9 days!!! I will be closed on Tuesday, December 24 and will reopen on Thursday, January 2. Non paid, but worth it. Looking back at previous years, I have really low attendance during this time, and right now I would rather have the day off than be open for only one or two kids.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Unregistered

I find these holidays to be sucxh fun to be with children
the excitement and crafts ex
though I could use a break I find many clients have extra days off those weeks too and I am not as full as normal
if children are here it is full days for school is out so beneficial to parents and myself financially to be available
so I am open over the holidays ( closed Xmas and new years days ) and I / We have fun !!!!
Old 10-03-2013, 10:46 AM

I debate this every year... technically my paid holidays are xmas eve and xmas day and ny eve and ny day - so would be Tues/Wed & Tues/Wed this year. I'd love to close Thurs, Fri & Mon. too but I'd have to do it unpaid. Sometimes I do - I base it on what my dc families needs are and what days they are taking off. Sometimes I can get away with no kids without officially closing, sometimes I will close cause I know I have some who will bring their kids the day after xmas even though they are off.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Monkey View Post
I should have taken off the whole first week of Christmas break. But, I'm not. I will be closed Christmas Day and New Years Day. I have two teacher kids so they will be gone all of break. My other three will still need care. Which is fine. But, now wishing I would have taken a bit more time off.
Its only the begining of oct cant you add some?? Plenty of time for them to plan!!
Old 10-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofboys View Post
This except our teachers go back on the Friday after NY's so I am open. I am hoping that none of mine will go to work and that they won't bring their kids.

Tags
christmas, new year's, paid time off, time off, vacation