Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Truth about the End of the Day.....
MissAnn 01:44 PM 11-06-2014
Parent texts that say "10 minutes" away are not to be believed.

Put the remainder of the kids at the table to draw, hoping they will talk to EACH OTHER but all you hear is your name.....over....and over....and over.....and.......

The last kid of the day doesn't want to go home....wants to run away from mom.....needs to she me something that is out in the car. Dad thinks it's cute......I'm tired and I could care less what new dinosaur you have.

I feel blah......but I'll put on my happy smile.....it's almost done.

This day needs to end.
taylorw1210 01:47 PM 11-06-2014
Right there with you, girl. Tomorrow is FRIDAY.
MissAnn 01:51 PM 11-06-2014
The parent picking up will complain about what a long day it was........Hmmmmm yours was like 8.5 hours and mine was 10.5. I win!

The parent will also want to "talk" about things you could care less about.

He will leave....you will do your happy dance....and he will come back for the forgotten coat.

The day is done! I'm gonna go get Mexican food because today.....and probably every day....I deserve it!
Crazy8 02:21 PM 11-06-2014
ahhhh yes…. just a few minutes ago mom comes in 3 minutes late - then dcb needs to show her cars so she comes in playroom and bends down to look at them while I am standing by door holding coat out. What just happened here?? Finally 18 minutes later they are gone.
Shell 02:26 PM 11-06-2014
I hear that! I have two that most definitely are comings down with a cold...again. These two keep re- infecting the daycare. Anyway, it's funny how fast they packed up when I mentioned their symptoms I'm also beginning to notice how most of the parents are completely disinterested in hearing about their child's day...like talking to a wall.
Kabob 02:34 PM 11-06-2014
Yep. By the end of the day, my brain is so fried that I can barely comprehend what the parents are saying to me anyway...one parent said she was going to be picking up early tomorrow and when I didn't process what she said, she looked at me oddly and then repeated herself a little more slowly which then registered in my coffee-deprived brain which then gave her the happy response she was looking for...yeah...Friday...
Leigh 02:42 PM 11-06-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
ahhhh yes…. just a few minutes ago mom comes in 3 minutes late - then dcb needs to show her cars so she comes in playroom and bends down to look at them while I am standing by door holding coat out. What just happened here?? Finally 18 minutes later they are gone.
I had one sit down to read her kid a book the other day at pickup time! I handed the book to Mom and told her to take it home and read it to him there and return it tomorrow! She looked at me like I was joking, but she did take it home.
rosieteddy 03:38 PM 11-06-2014
After 25 yrs in this bussiness I just about had it with end of day shennanigans.I started getting the children ready coats ,bags ect then cleared out the front foyer and set a bench and little plastic chairs out.All the kids leave at 5:30 so at 5:15 we go sit with a book.They are not to get off their chairs until mom or dad come in quick hello ,sticker and goodbye.This has made my life so much easier.It has worked for 4 yrs now.If someone goes home early parent knocks and I bring child to door.
Soccermom 05:47 PM 11-06-2014
Originally Posted by Shell:
I'm also beginning to notice how most of the parents are completely disinterested in hearing about their child's day...like talking to a wall.
This makes me so sad. I have a DCM who walks in and just starts complaining about her day and never even asks how her kids day was. I literally have to interrupt her to give any info I might have about HER kids. The other day DCG was so proud of a craft she had made that she ran to get it out of her bin to show DCM. She came running up to DCM and was saying - Look what I made Mommy! Over and over but DCM just kept talking about a client at work, completely ignoring this poor little girl that she had not seen for 10 hours..... It broke my heart. I had to say - Excuse me Mommy but your little one missed you and wants you to look at the craft she made for you.

I was thinking - Geez lady, get with it!! At least say hello to your kids! Also I had a VERY long day too and I don't get paid enough to pretend to be your psychologist every afternoon.

I honestly only have one DCM who actually asks and cares about how her little one's day was. I will often take pictures for her and send them through email so she can see what her DD is doing during the day, especially when we have special activities or outings. She will come early to help out when we have parties here too.
Jazminsdaycare 06:41 PM 11-06-2014
I missed my dd parents conference tonight because a parent was 30 minutes late, she will be paying the late fee but i have to reschedule this meeting and there are no more evenings left
so, I just don't get to go
I am getting tired of all of this
this has been the longest day ever
14 hours of work and I can't even be there for my daughter
bleh
lovemykidstoo 06:57 PM 11-06-2014
I HATE the end of the day bologna.

Yesterday, 2 kids from same family are the last ones here. I have somewhere to be, so I'm all ready to go. DCM comes in and puts shoes on almost 2 yr old. Then she puts shoes on 3 yr old. 3 yr old says nothing until his shoes are on (he can very well put them on himself, but she does it for him). After she puts them on, he takes them off, throwing fit because he wants to walk to car in barefeet. It's 40 degrees and raining. She argues with him for a minute and then says, fine, I'll take brother to the car and come back and get you. Seriously? So she goes out, puts the one kid in the car, comes back and carries 3 yr old out to the car with no shoes on. Seriously? UGH! I would have dragged that child out shoes or no shoes. Why do parents allow that behavior?
Controlled Chaos 08:02 PM 11-06-2014
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
After 25 yrs in this bussiness I just about had it with end of day shennanigans.I started getting the children ready coats ,bags ect then cleared out the front foyer and set a bench and little plastic chairs out.All the kids leave at 5:30 so at 5:15 we go sit with a book.They are not to get off their chairs until mom or dad come in quick hello ,sticker and goodbye.This has made my life so much easier.It has worked for 4 yrs now.If someone goes home early parent knocks and I bring child to door.
Excellent. I usually try to get them doing a quiet easy to clean activity at the end of the day, but books would be good. I worry, that parents would linger through a book or two if the child whined. Can you tell me more about your procedure with the sticker and getting them out the door? If you have something to tell the parent is it in the note or do you pause to tell them quickly?
rosieteddy 04:26 AM 11-07-2014
The sticker started because in the good daylight pickups the children started having fits about getting in car ect. I instituted a you get a sticker if you greet your parent.I taught them to say "Hi mommy=daddy how was your day".It worked beautifully.Then the time change and we were indoors I decided being ready was the best bet.Same thing greet your parent ,put your book to me get your sticker and go.All the children have a spot-chair,They are encouraged to say hello to their friends parents "say hello and go(meaning no rambling convos with someone elses parent).I give the parent a quick rundown of the day.Anything important is a note home.
Childminder 06:27 AM 11-07-2014
I do not want to hug and kiss your snot nosed child 10 times before you finally leave. I have spent all day trying to avoid the spread of her germs so please just wave as you head out the door.
MissAnn 07:52 AM 11-07-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I do not want to hug and kiss your snot nosed child 10 times before you finally leave. I have spent all day trying to avoid the spread of her germs so please just wave as you head out the door.
Exactly! The kids rarely hug me while parents are present yet the parents insist their kids hug me. Well, they don't want to....and it doesn't hurt my feelings....honest!

Oh, I did have one precious girl who had a routine....she would hug me.....step three steps away and run back to me. She would do this about 3 times. I loved it from her! It was our game and we both enjoyed it.
Annalee 08:06 AM 11-07-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Exactly! The kids rarely hug me while parents are present yet the parents insist their kids hug me. Well, they don't want to....and it doesn't hurt my feelings....honest!

Oh, I did have one precious girl who had a routine....she would hug me.....step three steps away and run back to me. She would do this about 3 times. I loved it from her! It was our game and we both enjoyed it.
I have an infant I got at 6 weeks and is now 8 months.....her mom tells the infant to tell me she loves me every afternoon as they leave then leans her over for a hug from me....such a game!!!!! ...
SignMeUp 08:24 AM 11-07-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I have an infant I got at 6 weeks and is now 8 months.....her mom tells the infant to tell me she loves me every afternoon as they leave then leans her over for a hug from me....such a game!!!!! ...
I love the infant sense of humor My nine month old kicks his feet excitedly when his mom comes, and I hand him over. Then he leans back toward me (which used to get the from mom, but now she understands that it's a game) and comes back to my arms. Back & forth, back & forth a few times. Then we say "All done " and he goes to mom.
To me, he's saying, "my best people!" when we are both here and it's a game
daycarediva 09:56 AM 11-07-2014
I love this thread! TGIF!

Last night I had one kid for almost an hour later than anyone else. He is also a HELLION when his mother is here and I have to wrestle him out of everything while she watches. I have tried the shoes/coat on, doesn't work. He takes them off. She lets him.

I'm D O N E DONE lady. GO HOME!
KiddieCahoots 10:19 AM 11-07-2014
I find it comical when you do get to tell the dcp's about their child's day, and of course we usually keep it all about the good news of the day.
Then the dcp will say....."ohhhhh....I wish I could've stayed here all day".
While I inwardly laugh to myself thinking.....I bet you'd last an hour ......
Controlled Chaos 11:30 AM 11-07-2014
There are two families I always enjoy chatting with at the end of the day (we have been friends pre kids and daycare). My husband works late so parent pick up is my one shot at grown up talk till 11pm : some times one dcm will sign her kids out and we will have a beer or even order pizza on a Friday.

Well, last Tuesday was so bad - terrible behavior from kids and I had less patience than usual. When dcm arrived I had kids in coats, bags ready, gave the daily report and ushered them out the door by 5:01. Dcm texted me later apologizing for whatever evils her children had committed that day and brought me coffee the next morning. The best!
Rockgirl 11:47 AM 11-07-2014
My dog starts jumping around when the last parent comes, wanting to be fed. It really kind of helps....yesterday a dcm said, "Come on, let's go--Joe is hungry!" Thanks, buddy.
SignMeUp 12:08 PM 11-07-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
I find it comical when you do get to tell the dcp's about their child's day, and of course we usually keep it all about the good news of the day.
Then the dcp will say....."ohhhhh....I wish I could've stayed here all day".
While I inwardly laugh to myself thinking.....I bet you'd last an hour ......
so true
Reply Up