Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How long is to long
Thriftylady 03:58 PM 10-07-2015
How long is to long on the crying spot? I have DCG 6 there. She is in kindy and got mad because she had to take her shower. (Not something I normally do but mom is a nurse and works less days but 12 hours so I do it for her girls so she gets a little time at home with them). DCG is sitting in the crying spot has been there for 15 mins. I told her when she gets done she can come back and join us but she is still throwing a screaming tantrum. I know she "gets it" but I don't want to over do it.
Ariana 04:02 PM 10-07-2015
Why is she mad about taking a shower? Is something else going on? 15 minutes seems like a long time to me.
Thriftylady 04:12 PM 10-07-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Why is she mad about taking a shower? Is something else going on? 15 minutes seems like a long time to me.

Well about five minutes before I told her lets take a shower she had laid on the couch. When I told her lets go shower she was pretending to be asleep and smiled at me so I said come on lets go and the fit started. Other than that she has been fine all evening. She just came in and decided she was done. She may be tired and acting out because she got here at 6 this morning and didn't go back to sleep like she sometimes does.

My daughter used to be able to throw two hour tantrums. NO I'm not kidding! But she was my child so it was different.
Ariana 04:19 PM 10-07-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Well about five minutes before I told her lets take a shower she had laid on the couch. When I told her lets go shower she was pretending to be asleep and smiled at me so I said come on lets go and the fit started. Other than that she has been fine all evening. She just came in and decided she was done. She may be tired and acting out because she got here at 6 this morning and didn't go back to sleep like she sometimes does.

My daughter used to be able to throw two hour tantrums. NO I'm not kidding! But she was my child so it was different.
Two hours?! you poor poor woman

Yep sounds like overtired to me too. Can you skip shower or somehow get her to choose when she does it? "Do you want to take a shower before or after xyz." I know it's a toddler trick but it might work
Thriftylady 04:26 PM 10-07-2015
I ended up getting her a short shower. She has passed out on the sofa now. Must be a tired thing. I just don't do tantrums well, in that I refuse to give into them. My daughter kind of burned me out on that. She is a joy to be around now but for a few years, Oh Lord!
daycare 05:57 PM 10-07-2015
I would have done this.

you can be mad, angry or whatever, but we do not scream. Screaming is not ok. ( I don't do screaming lol)

I would have told her.

you can get up like a big girl , walk to the shower and take your shower right now and I will read you a wonderful story of your choice OR.

I can pick you up and carry you to the shower, kindly help you bathe and you will need to go straight to sleep.

count in your head to 10 and if she doesnt answer, tell her ok, you must want me to decide, so I am gong to pick you up...........

$5.oo says she immediately gets up and goes on he own.
Thriftylady 06:31 PM 10-07-2015
I talked to mom when she picked up and mom confirmed she was likely tired. I guess mom put her to bed last night and at 10:30 mom was still trying to get her to quiet down and go to sleep, she kept talking to herself and such. I guess I don't know what you do in that situation, because you can put them to bed but you can't force them to sleep. Sigh... This little girl just doesn't like to go to bed and that is being compounded by the fact she started school this year I think. A nap isn't much of an option.
daycare 07:26 PM 10-07-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I talked to mom when she picked up and mom confirmed she was likely tired. I guess mom put her to bed last night and at 10:30 mom was still trying to get her to quiet down and go to sleep, she kept talking to herself and such. I guess I don't know what you do in that situation, because you can put them to bed but you can't force them to sleep. Sigh... This little girl just doesn't like to go to bed and that is being compounded by the fact she started school this year I think. A nap isn't much of an option.
a lot of parent say that. which yes we can't make them sleep, but we can implement routines and boundries for bed time.

Kids in there singing and clapping you go in and tell them sleep time. After that you may need to set consequence. I don't know, maybe I am just mean, but with my own children i had to do this. If you get out of bed again, I take your bear,, if you don't close your eyes, I am turning off the light. until they are sleeping with nothing but their PJs if need be. If you scream, I close the door. It took me doing this 4-5 times and they quit it really fast.

I would give them about 15-20min max to unwind and thats it. there is no reason why it should take an hour plus to go to sleep. unless there is something wrong.

I have parents that say I put them to bed at 8 but they didn't fall asleep until 1130. Um where were you during that time?
Thriftylady 06:18 AM 10-08-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
a lot of parent say that. which yes we can't make them sleep, but we can implement routines and boundries for bed time.

Kids in there singing and clapping you go in and tell them sleep time. After that you may need to set consequence. I don't know, maybe I am just mean, but with my own children i had to do this. If you get out of bed again, I take your bear,, if you don't close your eyes, I am turning off the light. until they are sleeping with nothing but their PJs if need be. If you scream, I close the door. It took me doing this 4-5 times and they quit it really fast.

I would give them about 15-20min max to unwind and thats it. there is no reason why it should take an hour plus to go to sleep. unless there is something wrong.

I have parents that say I put them to bed at 8 but they didn't fall asleep until 1130. Um where were you during that time?
I tend to believe this DCM. She has been great to work with, and will admit the issues that her kids have. They are mostly well behaved but of course have things they do like any kid does. She is by far one of the best DCM's I have had, in the top 3 for sure! I realize that some DCP's will say anything to make it sound like they are just doing it all perfect. But I don't think she is one of them.
Reply Up