Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Colorful Tape To Stop Thumb Sucking
jojosmommy 10:42 AM 05-06-2011
I have a 3 yr Dcb who sucks thumb constantly. His speech is almost unitelligible and his teeth are terrible b/c of it. At nap he sucks both at once. He is always sick and I attribute it to always sucking his thumb (even when we are outside and his hands are dirty!) It also affects his play skills b/c he can't really play with one hand occupied and he doesn't really talk to the others much- too busy with his thumb!

Neighbor daycare lady has a dcg with duct tape or some colorful sport tape on her fingers (thumb and index) "to remind her not to suck her thumb". She says mom puts in on in the am and it stays on all day no issues.

Mom says she is going to let him suck his thumb until he is five but they have a dentist apt this Monday so I am hoping she changes her mind after that. Obviuosly I won't do anything w/o moms approval. Just wanted to know what you thought in case she brings it up after the dentist.

Anyone have any opinions about this?
cheerfuldom 10:46 AM 05-06-2011
I have never heard of tape. One of my friends has a 3 year old daughter that sucked her thumb so much, she got this disgusting rash all over her hand. Now the parents have given the paci back because they cannot find a way to get the thumb sucking to stop
WDW 11:15 AM 05-06-2011
I know someone who used sport tape on their son. He was in KDG and they wanted him to stop, it was only his left thumb. They taped it up.. he started with his right thumb. So they taped them both. He sucked on his two fingers for about a day and then quit.... said he hated the tape and wanted it off. So, it worked. Not sure how he functioned in school with no thumbs, but it was only a few days in reality... I think they started on a weekend too. Just suggest it's changed everyday as it gets really dirty!
nannyde 11:30 AM 05-06-2011
I wouldn't do tape. I think that could be a choke hazard once it is wet and comes loose and break down the skin over time.

Run this by mom....

I would use a mitted sweatshirt on him. He just needs time to learn to cope with life without having the sucking coming in between him and the world.

He'll adapt within a few hours and you will see a side of him you don't even know. Once it is blocked he will start PLAYING, talking, paying attention to the world around him.

During meals just give him a big spoon instead of a regular spoon. He'll be sloppy at first but he'll adjust to holding the spoon with the material around his hands.

It's OKAY if he tries to suck thumb thru the material. As long as it's thick he won't get his suck on... that skin to skin contact he's fixated on. Within a few days he'll see it is useless and quit doing it.

Make it a long sleeved fitted sweatshirt that doesn't have a lot of give at the neck. It needs to fit at the tips of his fingers when his fingers are completely extended and the body of the shirt needs to fit right up to his chest and abdomen. Otherwise he will try to pull his hands out thru the neck.

He's begging for someone to intervene. If his mouth has formed around his thumb and it's destroying his teeth and making it impossible for him to speak properly... he NEEDS a block put in. Tape can cause skin issues and the loose wet tape can be a choke hazard. Soft sweatshirt material will do the trick.

You will be shocked at how well he can play with his hands covered. He will be able to play WAY better with two hands mitted than both hands in his mouth or one handed with one hand in his mouth. He'll be clumsy for a few days but soon you will see that he can do 99 percent of what he could do without the sweatshirt. Kids are very adapatable.

He'll discover a whole new way of being... and he will like it. It will take a few weeks... but once he sees how life can be without the "addiction" he will most likely really start to enjoy playing. You will also most likely see his vocab skyrocket.

Mitted sweatshirt:

http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos...toid=106924234

http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos...toid=106924235

http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos...toid=106924236
Unregistered 12:31 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I wouldn't do tape. I think that could be a choke hazard once it is wet and comes loose and break down the skin over time.

Run this by mom....

I would use a mitted sweatshirt on him. He just needs time to learn to cope with life without having the sucking coming in between him and the world.

He'll adapt within a few hours and you will see a side of him you don't even know. Once it is blocked he will start PLAYING, talking, paying attention to the world around him.

During meals just give him a big spoon instead of a regular spoon. He'll be sloppy at first but he'll adjust to holding the spoon with the material around his hands.

It's OKAY if he tries to suck thumb thru the material. As long as it's thick he won't get his suck on... that skin to skin contact he's fixated on. Within a few days he'll see it is useless and quit doing it.

Make it a long sleeved fitted sweatshirt that doesn't have a lot of give at the neck. It needs to fit at the tips of his fingers when his fingers are completely extended and the body of the shirt needs to fit right up to his chest and abdomen. Otherwise he will try to pull his hands out thru the neck.

He's begging for someone to intervene. If his mouth has formed around his thumb and it's destroying his teeth and making it impossible for him to speak properly... he NEEDS a block put in. Tape can cause skin issues and the loose wet tape can be a choke hazard. Soft sweatshirt material will do the trick.

You will be shocked at how well he can play with his hands covered. He will be able to play WAY better with two hands mitted than both hands in his mouth or one handed with one hand in his mouth. He'll be clumsy for a few days but soon you will see that he can do 99 percent of what he could do without the sweatshirt. Kids are very adapatable.

He'll discover a whole new way of being... and he will like it. It will take a few weeks... but once he sees how life can be without the "addiction" he will most likely really start to enjoy playing. You will also most likely see his vocab skyrocket.

Mitted sweatshirt:

I COMPLETELY disagree with this. I think this is mean, and if you did this to my child, I'd be LIVID. I also disagree that tape would be a choking hazard with a child old enough to use this one. You just would have to wrap it around their hand a bit so it didn't slide right off. I think someone should put you in a mitted sweatshirt and see how you adapt. MEAN.
WDW 02:37 PM 05-06-2011

Run this by mom....

Mitted sweatshirt:

I'm not sure how I feel about this at all, but I definitely think it should come off during mealtimes.
QualiTcare 02:44 PM 05-06-2011
why not just use band aids? get some cartoonish ones and he might be less resistant.
Crystal 02:47 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by WDW:
I'm not sure how I feel about this at all, but I definitely think it should come off during mealtimes.
well, I think it's utterly ridiculous and there is no way in heck I'd allow it with my own child or do it with anyone elses. I see it as CAUSING a special need - it's like trying to teach a child what it's like to have limited use of the hands - and it limits their ability to manipulate materials, develop small motor skills, etc. nope....I'd be livid if someone did that to my kid - ESPECIALLY if it were over thumb sucking.

sorry Nan...agree with you on quite a bit, but not this.
mamaski 03:01 PM 05-06-2011
Have you heard of Thumbuddy To Love? It really helps to stop thumb sucking. check out their web site and kids love it because it is not shameful.
google it or go to thumbuddytolove dot com
you can also get it on Amazon.
nannyde 03:08 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by WDW:
Sure

That's the beauty of it. It's such a SIMPLE on and off. You can do a thousand variations of it...

Five minutes on... fifteen minutes off...
increase to ten minutes on ... ten minutes off
off for meals
on for nap
off for nap
on for walk
off for outdoor play
on for story time
on for sand play
off for climber play

easy peeazy

Do it gradually... do it full on... do it one day a week... do it seven....

It's a BREAK for the thumb... a break for the teeth.. a break for fixation... a break to speak....

When you have him paying the price of:
speech is almost unitelligible
teeth are terrible
always sick
affects his play skills
doesn't really talk to the others much

it's time to get creative and think about what can you EASILY do. The consequence of what he is fixated on is very high and could affect him for his lifetime. The consequence of having "mittens" or covers on is very very very very low and he won't even remember it. He's a human baby.... he will figure out the "work around" in short order and the "new world" will come into his brain.
Lucy 03:21 PM 05-06-2011
Smart and/or desperate kids would wriggle their arm right out of that sleeve.
nannyde 03:41 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
Smart and/or desperate kids would wriggle their arm right out of that sleeve.
Oh sure. It may take a few adjustments to get it to fit properly.
Lucy 05:10 PM 05-06-2011
Unless it's a straight jacket, they'd find a way. Believe me.
nannyde 05:33 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
Unless it's a straight jacket, they'd find a way. Believe me.
Nah

It's simple. I've used them for many years for different purposes and have never had a problem.
PitterPatter 05:34 PM 05-06-2011
My Mom got some thumb sucking horrible tasting liquid for my sister when we were kids. It didn't stop her. She would suck and wipe suck and wipe until it was off then suck all day. If your kid wouldn't figure that out maybe dip the thumb in lemon juice or something that wouldn't cause harm but possibly deter it. I have never had that problem so that's my best advice.
nannyde 05:37 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
My Mom got some thumb sucking horrible tasting liquid for my sister when we were kids. It didn't stop her. She would suck and wipe suck and wipe until it was off then suck all day. If your kid wouldn't figure that out maybe dip the thumb in lemon juice or something that wouldn't cause harm but possibly deter it. I have never had that problem so that's my best advice.
I wouldn't use any kind of lemon juice or any foul tasting or bitter things on their thumbs. If they rub their eyes with their hands they could get it in thier eyes.
PitterPatter 05:38 PM 05-06-2011
I wouldn't use any kind of lemon juice or any foul tasting or bitter things on their thumbs. If they rub their eyes with their hands they could get it in thier eyes.
Oh yes this is true didn't think of that! Thanks Nanny!
MN Mom 05:48 PM 05-06-2011
My 9yo DD stopped sucking her thumb in 10 days. She's been "suck free" for 2 months now. Here's how we did it, as approved and planned by my family dentist:

He bought the most coarse medical tape he could find (Walgreen's brand) and some ace wraps.

We had her make a poster with 10 check boxes and a picture of something special she wanted to do when she was finished.

The title of her poster was...

When I quit sucking my dumb thumb I want to....

And she drew a picture of a horse for horseback riding.

We used the medical tape on both thumbs every day. It did not come off in the shower or from writing, playing, or anything of that sort. It's meant to STICK through all that stuff. At night we ace wrapped around her elbows, so if she should happen to stick her thumb in while sleeping, the pressure would become uncomfortable and cause her to straighten her arms.

We did the ace wrap for 5 days and the tape on the thumbs for 10.

The key with breaking a habit is that the person with the habit has to WANT to stop. If they don't want to, it will be 10x harder and more frustrating for all involved. My DD was ready and it was easy peasy.

I would suggest to mom, and to anyone who has a thumb sucker to have a meeting with your dentist and child about the issue. These consultations are usually free. Most dentists are happy to help, and have years of experience in dealing with thumb suckers.

Hope this helps!!
squareone 08:50 PM 05-06-2011
One product that we used for our son was the Thumbguard. Even though it didn't work for us, I thought this device had the best concept and design out of all the other products we came across. Our son (who was 3 at the time) figured out how to get it off in 2 days. He couldn't get the wristband part off but he could get the plastic thumb part off. When I picked him up from daycare he would be sucking his thumb and the device would just be dangling off his wrist like a little bracelet LOLLLL. I am sooo glad that we are past this because thumbsucking is one of the most unsanitary habits ever! It used to gross me out! Ugh!

I did a search (because I couldn't remember the name of the Thumbguard) and I came across this. Looks like Nannyde's idea is not as farfetched as some may think. Someone is actually selling these and it's patent pending!

http://www.myspecialshirt.com/home.php
QualiTcare 09:06 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by MN Mom:
My 9yo DD stopped sucking her thumb in 10 days. She's been "suck free" for 2 months now. Here's how we did it, as approved and planned by my family dentist:

He bought the most coarse medical tape he could find (Walgreen's brand) and some ace wraps.

We had her make a poster with 10 check boxes and a picture of something special she wanted to do when she was finished.

We used the medical tape on both thumbs every day. It did not come off in the shower or from writing, playing, or anything of that sort. It's meant to STICK through all that stuff. At night we ace wrapped around her elbows, so if she should happen to stick her thumb in while sleeping, the pressure would become uncomfortable and cause her to straighten her arms.

The key with breaking a habit is that the person with the habit has to WANT to stop. If they don't want to, it will be 10x harder and more frustrating for all involved. My DD was ready and it was easy peasy.

I would suggest to mom, and to anyone who has a thumb sucker to have a meeting with your dentist and child about the issue. These consultations are usually free. Most dentists are happy to help, and have years of experience in dealing with thumb suckers.

Hope this helps!!
and this is why i'm pro-pacifier vs. thumb.
Unregistered 10:21 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
One product that we used for our son was the Thumbguard. Even though it didn't work for us, I thought this device had the best concept and design out of all the other products we came across. Our son (who was 3 at the time) figured out how to get it off in 2 days. He couldn't get the wristband part off but he could get the plastic thumb part off. When I picked him up from daycare he would be sucking his thumb and the device would just be dangling off his wrist like a little bracelet LOLLLL. I am sooo glad that we are past this because thumbsucking is one of the most unsanitary habits ever! It used to gross me out! Ugh!

I did a search (because I couldn't remember the name of the Thumbguard) and I came across this. Looks like Nannyde's idea is not as farfetched as some may think. Someone is actually selling these and it's patent pending!

Even that program specifies it is only for sleeping. I would (and SHOULD!) lose my license if I put one of those on an awake child in the manner you are suggesting. Sleeping...ok...to keep hands warm in the winter outside...sure. NOT for what is being stated here. Awful.
QualiTcare 10:51 PM 05-06-2011
the whole "mitten shirt" concept reminds me of restraints in the hospital. no surprise that nannyde is a nurse - although restraints aren't used for thumb suckers.
nannyde 04:33 AM 05-07-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:

Oh boooo hoooo
there goes my idea of mass producing and getting rich

You can make your own for way cheaper
countrymom 04:37 AM 05-07-2011
i too would never ever use the shirt, that is a restraint and i don't care if you put it on for 5 minutes or 10 min. you are restrainting the use of the childs fingers. Imagine if there was an emergency......I would talke to the dentist and see what he says. I know there may be problems later with speech and talking but restraining, never. Oh and I'm a nurse too and have been for a long time, I would never do this.
morgan24 05:06 AM 05-07-2011
If the parents are on board with using the shirt to help stop thumb sucking, I would use it. I had a dcg who is 6 now and has a metal appliance in her mouth to help move her teeth and to widen the roof of her mouth. She has to wear it for at least 5 years. I know that her parents would of been okay with using the shirt. I had her from the time she was 6 weeks until she went to school and we tried everything but never thought of the shirt.
PitterPatter 05:31 AM 05-07-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
If the parents are on board with using the shirt to help stop thumb sucking, I would use it. I had a dcg who is 6 now and has a metal appliance in her mouth to help move her teeth and to widen the roof of her mouth. She has to wear it for at least 5 years. I know that her parents would of been okay with using the shirt. I had her from the time she was 6 weeks until she went to school and we tried everything but never thought of the shirt.
With metal in her mouth I would be afraid the shirt would catch on it. Is it like braces or something? I would worry if she tried to put her thumb in her mouth the shirt would catch and if she pulls it could cause damage or harm.
nannyde 06:03 AM 05-07-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
i too would never ever use the shirt, that is a restraint and i don't care if you put it on for 5 minutes or 10 min. you are restrainting the use of the childs fingers. Imagine if there was an emergency......I would talke to the dentist and see what he says. I know there may be problems later with speech and talking but restraining, never. Oh and I'm a nurse too and have been for a long time, I would never do this.
Nah

What emergency would that be? Fire?

We've done countless winter fire drills thru our basement windows where every kid had on a mitted sweatshirt over their coats and every one of them that could get out the window and window well were able to in the same time they do when we do them in the summer.

We use them to pop over kids coats for winter walks which allows us to NOT have to put gloves or mittens on eight kids and then run their gloved or mitted hand thru the coat sleeve so there is no skin at the wrist being exposed to the cold. It takes five seconds to pop one of them over their coats and saves me about ten/fifteen minutes a day of getting eight kids in full winter gear. The one I have pics of that I've linked to are the "over the coat" style mitted shirt. They are wide armpit to armpit width... wide sleeved.... wide necked and double layered thickeness at the hands for extra warmth. Each kid has one that is a full size or two bigger than their coat so it fits right over the Gap warmest coats I provide for the kids.

POP on... and you have hands covered AND an extra layer of warmth on the trunk and arms. They cost some money to buy and make but oh boy... do they pay off in the cold Iowa winter when we are dressing eight kids in full head to toe winter gear. It saves an hour plus a week in dressing kids which is HUGE by the end of the winter. They pay for themselves in one winter. They are aslo FABULOUS in the spring and fall when we go out for early morning walks when it's 45-50 degrees. We can pop on the sweatshirts and we don't have to put jackets on the kids. It's a nice thick sweatshirt that keeps their hands warm too. (just have to use the smaller size on them when they don't have a coat underneath)

It's not a restraint. It doesn't harm the kid in any way. It doesn't affect them emotionally. It has NO side effects. It's simple... common sense cheapo solution to many things that come up in the care of kids.

The lady that invented the "special shirt" has some good info on her site for the medical issues you can use these for like severe exzema, scratching, and obviously thumb sucking.

I've used them for a number of different challenges but the number one thing is outerwear for cold weather.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ighlight=blood
nannyde 06:23 AM 05-07-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
If the parents are on board with using the shirt to help stop thumb sucking, I would use it.
I've had many parents use this technique at home and then donate the shirt when their kid outgrows it.

The number one home use has been mosquito bite allergies. I have two older girls here and had three older girls last summer who have HORRIBLE reactions to mosqito bites.

When they get them on places like their eyelids, around their eyes, and on or close to the neck the flare up (swelling) when they itch can be life threatening or cause them permanent harm.

(The area around the eyes is a common place for these kids to get bites. It's the area where parents feel hesitant about putting repellent on because of the proximity to the eye.)

All three girls GLADLY wear a shirt at nap time to stop the scratching in their sleep. Simple solution that decreases the threat of injury or infection and decreases the amount of anti-histamine products they need to use as the bite heals.
nannyde 06:50 AM 05-07-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Even that program specifies it is only for sleeping. I would (and SHOULD!) lose my license if I put one of those on an awake child in the manner you are suggesting. Sleeping...ok...to keep hands warm in the winter outside...sure. NOT for what is being stated here. Awful.
Yeah I can see by her design that this would be a sleep tool only. Way too much extra material at the hands. The random bunching of material with every hand move could affect their play.

You say it's awful.

I say this is AWFUL:

teeth are terrible
always sick
affects his play skills

Poor little guy is three and a half years old and has unintelligble speech.

Poor little guy is three and a half years old... in prime physical and emotional growth and has a sick body all the time.

Poor little guy is three and a half and can't play toys.

Poor little guy is three and a half and can't really talk to other children.

Poor little guy is three and a half and has horrible teeth.

That's SO awful. That's serious medical and emotional stuff. His fixation is creating serious problems in every key important aspect of his life.
Unregistered 07:05 AM 05-07-2011
Yeah I can see by her design that this would be a sleep tool only. Way too much extra material at the hands. The random bunching of material with every hand move could affect their play.

You say it's awful.

I say this is AWFUL:

teeth are terrible
always sick
affects his play skills

Poor little guy is three and a half years old and has unintelligble speech.

Poor little guy is three and a half years old... in prime physical and emotional growth and has a sick body all the time.

Poor little guy is three and a half and can't play toys.

Poor little guy is three and a half and can't really talk to other children.

Poor little guy is three and a half and has horrible teeth.

That's SO awful. That's serious medical and emotional stuff. His fixation is creating serious problems in every key important aspect of his life.
I didn't log in for this reply, just on the off chance that my daughter may read this and be upset that I posted about her .

After having tried unsuccessfully to stop my daughter for years from sucking her thumb and fingers, I would have definitely used this if I had only thought of it. She's nearly grown up now, and her jaw is deformed and her teeth are crooked because of a childhood of sucking. She had problems all through her grade school years, until she was old enough to figure out that she shouldn't do it in front of her classmates. Believe me, we tried everything that we could think of to stop it, but she just adapted. In retrospect, many of the things that we tried were far more harsh than this and obviously not particularly effective to boot.

Using something like this would not cause long-term problems and if used with proper supervision would not cause safety issues, as was suggested by a PP.

Most kids who are thumb suckers will stop with the usual, easier, methods, but if you've got a stubborn case, I wouldn't be afraid to try whatever it takes to get it stopped earlier rather than later.
nannyde 07:15 AM 05-07-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
well, I think it's utterly ridiculous and there is no way in heck I'd allow it with my own child or do it with anyone elses. I see it as CAUSING a special need - it's like trying to teach a child what it's like to have limited use of the hands - and it limits their ability to manipulate materials, develop small motor skills, etc. nope....I'd be livid if someone did that to my kid - ESPECIALLY if it were over thumb sucking.

sorry Nan...agree with you on quite a bit, but not this.
Nah

It doesn't create a special need.

You see in her post that he's not able to manipulate materials and develop small motor skills etc because he has his hands occupied in his mouth.

Plus you can quickly pop in on and off for whatever you are doing that day. It's not that big of a deal. Easy peezy... takes seconds... works great.. has NO side effects.

I was just thinking about this past winter when we would get back in from walking. We had all eight kids in them and after unloading everyone into the playroom we undress their full winter gear from youngest to oldest. By the time we get to the oldest the older kids have half the playroom out and playing. Trust me, the mittens AND a heavy thick coat (think big marshmallow pillsbury dough boy look) on doesn't stop them from getting their play on. It's better than sitting around waiting for us to undress them.

Same thing while they are getting geared up. We dress them from oldest to youngest so the oldest go play while we are working on the younger children. They have NO problem playing while they are waiting for everyone to get ready.

They have NO problem playing in them before or after the walk... none at all.

When we are out for a walk they pick up leaves, twigs, rocks, and even coins off the ground for our projects. NO problem.

Seriously you can attach negative and mean to the child to it but in reality it's just a simple last resort short term fix idea that's worth a shot. His health is worth the try. His teeth are worth the try. His speech is worth the try. His play development is worth the try.
MN Mom 07:29 AM 05-07-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
and this is why i'm pro-pacifier vs. thumb.
Ahh believe me...I would have preferred her use a paci so I could have taken it away. We have US pictures of her sucking her thumb in womb, and after she was born she had it in her mouth between feedings. I tried a paci with her to no avail, it would fall out and in would go her thumb. Of my 4 kids, she was the only one who needed the extra sucking and was my only thumb sucker. We tried many things for years to get her to stop, including special stuff you paint on the nails and thumbs...she liked the taste. Luckily her teeth aren't bad, it didn't impair her speech, nor affect her play as she only wanted it when she was tired/sleeping, but I do believe it caused her extra unneeded illness which has since subsided in the 2 months she's been suck free.
nannyde 08:41 AM 05-07-2011
but I do believe it caused her extra unneeded illness which has since subsided in the 2 months she's been suck free.

Yes that is a huge motivator.

Look raising kids isn't a perfect science. You do the best with what you know. If your heart tells you that this kids behavior is causing issues in other areas of core areas of growth and development it's worth it to TRY different methods to deal with it. It's not ideal at the time but in the end... look what you have!!! A healthier, happier, little one.
jen 10:33 AM 05-07-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
I have a 3 yr Dcb who sucks thumb constantly. His speech is almost unitelligible and his teeth are terrible b/c of it. At nap he sucks both at once. He is always sick and I attribute it to always sucking his thumb (even when we are outside and his hands are dirty!) It also affects his play skills b/c he can't really play with one hand occupied and he doesn't really talk to the others much- too busy with his thumb!

Neighbor daycare lady has a dcg with duct tape or some colorful sport tape on her fingers (thumb and index) "to remind her not to suck her thumb". She says mom puts in on in the am and it stays on all day no issues.

Mom says she is going to let him suck his thumb until he is five but they have a dentist apt this Monday so I am hoping she changes her mind after that. Obviuosly I won't do anything w/o moms approval. Just wanted to know what you thought in case she brings it up after the dentist.

Anyone have any opinions about this?
So, while I agree that thumb sucking is not a terrific habit, it really is his parents call on whether or not to stop it. JMHO, but you've discussed your conerns with Mom, and she's told you what her intentions are, your job is done. period.

I think as providers we get way too involved in what is good or not good for someone elses kid. It only makes sense that we would, we see them daily, care for them, want whats best for them. Unfortunately, the truth is, our job is to provide care during specific periods of the day, but overall parenting decisions are up to Mom and Dad. If you don't want him to suck his thumb because of the germ factor, remind him to leave his thumb out of his mouth and make him wash his hands each and every time. As for his speech and his teeth, that is his parents responsbility, or in this case, lack thereof.

I applaud you for wanting to do whats right for the kid, it's sad his parents aren't as concerned as you are.
nannyde 11:03 AM 05-07-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
So, while I agree that thumb sucking is not a terrific habit, it really is his parents call on whether or not to stop it. JMHO, but you've discussed your conerns with Mom, and she's told you what her intentions are, your job is done. period.

I think as providers we get way too involved in what is good or not good for someone elses kid. It only makes sense that we would, we see them daily, care for them, want whats best for them. Unfortunately, the truth is, our job is to provide care during specific periods of the day, but overall parenting decisions are up to Mom and Dad. If you don't want him to suck his thumb because of the germ factor, remind him to leave his thumb out of his mouth and make him wash his hands each and every time. As for his speech and his teeth, that is his parents responsbility, or in this case, lack thereof.

I applaud you for wanting to do whats right for the kid, it's sad his parents aren't as concerned as you are.
I think that's a good general rule BUT in this case it sounds like no matter how you slice it... it does affect child care. Having a kid want to suck so much that they will suck hands covered in dirt... is sick all the time... can't speak ... can't play.. etc.

That DOES affect child care a lot in many ways.

But... if it comes down to simply what the parents want then as always... the provider just decides if she can provide services to THAT child and meet his/her needs.

With all the unintended consequences that do affect care the choice is to try to deal with the source problem, just cope, or have the kid go to an environment that more suits his sucking needs and all the stuff that comes with it.
morgan24 11:21 AM 05-07-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
With metal in her mouth I would be afraid the shirt would catch on it. Is it like braces or something? I would worry if she tried to put her thumb in her mouth the shirt would catch and if she pulls it could cause damage or harm.
That was just an example of the kind of damage sucking your thumb does. She's 6 now and in school so I never put a shirt on her when I had her.
QualiTcare 01:57 PM 05-07-2011
Ahh believe me...I would have preferred her use a paci so I could have taken it away. We have US pictures of her sucking her thumb in womb, and after she was born she had it in her mouth between feedings. I tried a paci with her to no avail, it would fall out and in would go her thumb. Of my 4 kids, she was the only one who needed the extra sucking and was my only thumb sucker. We tried many things for years to get her to stop, including special stuff you paint on the nails and thumbs...she liked the taste. Luckily her teeth aren't bad, it didn't impair her speech, nor affect her play as she only wanted it when she was tired/sleeping, but I do believe it caused her extra unneeded illness which has since subsided in the 2 months she's been suck free.
yeah, i said that bc we had a discussion not long ago about pacifiers and some people who were anti-paci were saying that's what thumbs were for. i guess the "natural" way to soothe. i disagreed bc you can take a paci away, but not a thumb. it was just funny that this came up.

we went on a field trip in 7th grade and there was a girl who was sucking her thumb. nobody knew until that trip bc she did it only at night, but she was made fun of for it after that.
Lucy 04:21 PM 05-07-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I agree. I mentioned straight jacket earlier. This is a close 2nd. Same with using these to make a kid eat slower. I literally went
nannyde 08:07 AM 05-08-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
After having tried unsuccessfully to stop my daughter for years from sucking her thumb and fingers, I would have definitely used this if I had only thought of it. She's nearly grown up now, and her jaw is deformed and her teeth are crooked because of a childhood of sucking. She had problems all through her grade school years, until she was old enough to figure out that she shouldn't do it in front of her classmates. Believe me, we tried everything that we could think of to stop it, but she just adapted. In retrospect, many of the things that we tried were far more harsh than this and obviously not particularly effective to boot.

Using something like this would not cause long-term problems and if used with proper supervision would not cause safety issues, as was suggested by a PP.

Most kids who are thumb suckers will stop with the usual, easier, methods, but if you've got a stubborn case, I wouldn't be afraid to try whatever it takes to get it stopped earlier rather than later.
That's why I posted the idea here. Any parent who has gone thru what you have and actually SEEN the adverse lifetime affect this can have on a child would look and this and go "wow... I wish I would have that of it. It's such a simple solution"

The beauty of this is not only does it not cause any long term problems... it doesn't cause any short term problems either. Just a simple cloth block between thumb and mouth.. that's it.... nothing more or less.

I'll bet your daughter would have exchanged a few weeks or even months when she was three to stop the fixation then deal with what she has now. It's a no brainer. The truth is that there is nothing out there (including the cute toy thumb blockers) that really works. If there was, we wouldn't be having this conversation. This may not work for every kid or every family but having an option that is affordable, flexible, and easy on/off is definitely worth a try.
jojosmommy 09:26 AM 05-08-2011

Hope this helps!!
THANKS! My mom is in the dental field and said they tell parents this all the time but I wanted actual experience!
Tags:sucking thumb
Reply Up