Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feast or Famine, But Where is That Perfect Family?
DaisyMamma 10:45 AM 08-14-2012
A month ago I wasn't covering my bills
Now I have 7 candidates for 4 spaces. Only 1 of them I "love" and she might have her neighbor do it. Pickup by 4:45. $75/week
2 are an absolute no way, 8 yr boy ADHD, 11 girl who didn't seem to like the little kids and mom seems snobby. Mom called and said she wants to use me. 4 days a week. 5:30 pickup, one late day of 6:30. $140/week
2 only want 2 days a week. Also SA, both loud kids, but leave by 5. I had them before and the parents are great. $60/week
2 want insane hours and have a low budget, but don't qualify for state aid. Single Dad lives around the corner and seems great. Haven't meet the 5 yr boy SA, or 8 month baby, which means I would need assistant for 3 months till one DCkid turns 2. Dad works 6:30-6:30. Has DCB5 in daycare @ $170 (not with me) till school starts. Can't afford to send DCG8mo so she's living with family of course he is looking for both kids at like 200 but not for those hours! I would charge 400. There is a neighbor girl14 who might be able to pickup at 5:30 and bring them home for that hour taking $100 off my price. Or he has a friend who can watch baby till 3:30 so I would get both kids 3:30-6:30 and I would still charge $250. Or have girl14 pickup at 5:30 making it $150. This seems best but I feel like its an unreliable situation, kwim?
countrymom 11:00 AM 08-14-2012
keep looking, SA are the worst, I find that after school that they are so crazy from being in school that its just not worth it.
DaisyMamma 11:35 AM 08-14-2012
I just had another call! Crazy
jojosmommy 11:41 AM 08-14-2012
LUCKY YOU!

You must have a great ad out or some good referrals!

Good luck. With all these calls you should be able to find the RIGHT person. Don't take just anyone. I know its tempting to do but I always regret it when I do that.
Blackcat31 11:54 AM 08-14-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
A month ago I wasn't covering my bills
Now I have 7 candidates for 4 spaces.
I just had another call! Crazy
Welcome to the wonderful ever changing world of child care.

I too, am finding that I will be having to give notice to some great part time/drop in families come Fall.

I wish I could keep them all but capacity laws don't allow that and the part time/drop in's don't want to commit to anything permanent so I gotta do what I gotta do.

The worst is a DCG4.5 that I have had in care since birth (had her older brother..age 15 too). I hate having to term a family just because the schedule isn't working. I will probably get flamed for this but terming because of bad behavior (parent or kid) is much easier.
nanglgrl 11:59 AM 08-14-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Welcome to the wonderful ever changing world of child care.

I too, am finding that I will be having to give notice to some great part time/drop in families come Fall.

I wish I could keep them all but capacity laws don't allow that and the part time/drop in's don't want to commit to anything permanent so I gotta do what I gotta do.

The worst is a DCG4.5 that I have had in care since birth (had her older brother..age 15 too). I hate having to term a family just because the schedule isn't working. I will probably get flamed for this but terming because of bad behavior (parent or kid) is much easier.
I won't flame you at all. I'm sure it is so hard for you to let go of a family but this is a business most of us don't do it for fun or for spending money, we do it to pay the bills. Sometimes, because we are care providers people assume that we do our jobs because of our loving nature but I would say for the vast majority of us it is a business regardless of our nature.
Blackcat31 12:02 PM 08-14-2012
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
I won't flame you at all. I'm sure it is so hard for you to let go of a family but this is a business most of us don't do it for fun or for spending money, we do it to pay the bills. Sometimes, because we are care providers people assume that we do our jobs because of our loving nature but I would say for the vast majority of us it is a business regardless of our nature.
Thanks for that.

I feel horrible but I gotta eat too.
countrymom 05:14 AM 08-15-2012
I just don't understand why we can't be real and acually say "I do this job because I need to pay my bills" why can't we just lay it out and not get flamed for it. Its a job, just like teachers, they do it because it pays their bills too. kwim.
DaisyMamma 05:26 AM 08-15-2012
Thanks for that.

I feel horrible but I gotta eat too.
I hear you. If they don't want to commit then they are making that choice

I took the family who had the low budget. He agreed to my price. But now I need an assistant, any ideas on where to find someone?
Blackcat31 07:56 AM 08-15-2012
. But now I need an assistant, any ideas on where to find someone?
Community colleges are a great palce to start. Alot of times college students have funky hours or are in the ECE field and looking for some hands on experience.

I suggest making yourself an awesome flyer () and posting it in your community college commons area, or library or maybe even a local gym or YMCA.....anywhere you know the public will see it.

I have also used volunteers and had them come in an do story hour or rock my babies or whatever needs doing.
DaisyMamma 08:06 AM 08-15-2012
Community colleges are a great palce to start. Alot of times college students have funky hours or are in the ECE field and looking for some hands on experience.

I suggest making yourself an awesome flyer () and posting it in your community college commons area, or library or maybe even a local gym or YMCA.....anywhere you know the public will see it.

I have also used volunteers and had them come in an do story hour or rock my babies or whatever needs doing.
Really good ideas, Blackcat, thanks
Reply Up