Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>ODD situation- mini rant
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 06:28 PM 08-15-2012
SO this is my odd situation that happen today. Maybe I just find it odd and it really isn't a big deal. Mom came to pick up daycare baby today but this time she brought some lady with her. After she walked in the door she introduced the lady to me as someone she works with and that she had to take her to pick up her car, she hopes I don't mind that she invited her in. Are you serious? Your already standing in my living room. Well it seem to be a very odd moment. They played with the daycare baby and talked with each other and completely disregarded my 18 month old daughter saying hi. It was more of this lady checking out my setup time thing. I would have never invited a co-work into my daycare provider home. I would have ran in and got my child and then went on. Plus the car dealerships are between her work and my house. So anyway.. I just found it odd. After a good 15 minutes. The lady asked me about my daughter. How old is she, what is her name. Then she started asking me about my dog, what kind is he, is he good with the daycare kids, where is he when the daycare kids are out. It was like she was interviewing for a spot...or looking to take my daycare kid. I really hope it is the second. I wanna give notice anyway...because I can't stand the way she (mom) acts and how high maintenance the daughter is. I know she is only 6 months, but the have to be in motion to even not cry is getting old very quickly. This morning mom basically blamed me for missing orajel that I never even use. I get well this is the 2nd tube that has fallen out of her bag. (they put it in the side of her milk bag that is open and in an open box) Then mom is concern because the baby doesn't eat but 2oz of breast milk every 2 hours while with me or with dad and she feels like she is losing weight. Nevermind the fact that the baby is getting longer and was just seen by the doctor Friday and the doctor wasn't concern. Just to give you an idea of what I am dealing with.. while pregnant mom asked the doctor if she could crush the baby head when she bent over. She didn't understand why the doctor looked at her crazy. It is just to name a few. I want to terminate, but don't know what to say without telling her that her child is not the only one in my care and that I can't constantly carry her around or rock her or put her in a swing. She might be only 6 months, but she is just as big as my 18 month old. She is already 22lbs and 30 inches long. She was awesome little baby and now she has learn to expect the holding, rocking. The fact that I only have her sometimes 2 days, sometimes 3 days sometimes 5 days a week when they feel like it doesn't make it easier. Dad picks up sometimes by 11am and she gets here at 8. I have had her since April and she has only been here a full 5 days 2 times. They only pay for the days they use right now. Half the time I don't even know she won't be here until the day of or i might get a text message at 10pm the night before. Sorry about the rant!!!
momma2girls 07:40 PM 08-15-2012
I know how you feel, I just vented on here also! GRR!!!
sharlan 09:10 PM 08-15-2012
It sounds like it's time to change your policies. Charge full-time rates regardless of how many days she comes. You need to know what your income will be.
MizzCheryl 09:23 AM 08-16-2012
Yep! Put it on them. Tell them you have to stop part time and they are welcome to take the full time spot. If not you will have to replace them.
But if you don't want them don't give them a choice. Just tell them you are going to full time only and it was great but you are replacing them.

This is your business.You are the boss. I know we have to put up with some garbage but ... You get to choose how much garbage. When you are done.. be done and be at peace. Enjoy your job, most people do not get to enjoy their jobs like we can. Be good to yourself!

But when you do tell them just say as little as you can. I have found this works best with everything. Don't try explaining and all that. Just say it plain and simple.
Meeko 10:20 AM 08-16-2012
I have a part in my handbook that tells parents not to bring other people to "look at" my daycare.

"Please do not bring your relatives/friends/co-workers/neighbors etc. to “look at” our day care without asking for an appointment first. (Of course custodial parents are welcome any time their child is in attendance). We ask you to respect that this is a private home and not a public building and that the person you may bring is a stranger to us and to the children in care. Would you show a stranger through your home without notice? We are very happy to show off our day care to your friends and family…but at a time that is convenient for us! Just ask for an appointment! 
For the safety of your children we do not conduct new client tours/interviews during working hours."
Annalee 10:26 AM 08-16-2012
I have a grandmother that picks up a child occasionally, and she makes me feel like I am being inspected.....She is constantly looking around with her nose snarled.....I feel like asking her if something is stuck up her nose
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 10:43 AM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by dapb45:
I have a grandmother that picks up a child occasionally, and she makes me feel like I am being inspected.....She is constantly looking around with her nose snarled.....I feel like asking her if something is stuck up her nose
LOL... It was just such an odd situation. She knows that my new contract is coming out for review and signature next week. She asked me if a lot is going to change and if she can still tell me the night before if her daughter is coming or not. I'm seriously thinking about putting her down as drop-in care because although she has been here all week this week she has been picked up two days before 1130. Then another day was at 520.
Annalee 10:47 AM 08-16-2012
With the new contract coming up.....now is the time to either make stiff changes or get rid of her completely. Good luck!
Crazy8 10:50 AM 08-16-2012
just her schedule alone would be a deal breaker for me. I would put a stop to that crazy schedule immediately!

I was thinking maybe her friend/co-worker is looking for care too but I would think she'd come right out and say that and I'd expect a parent to ask me before they brought the person over. Weird!!

I think if you are having other issues and getting ready to hand out new contracts she is probably planning on leaving.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 10:52 AM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
just her schedule alone would be a deal breaker for me. I would put a stop to that crazy schedule immediately!

I was thinking maybe her friend/co-worker is looking for care too but I would think she'd come right out and say that and I'd expect a parent to ask me before they brought the person over. Weird!!

I think if you are having other issues and getting ready to hand out new contracts she is probably planning on leaving.
I was really wishing she would give notice. I'm sure that when she gets the new contract it will happen. If not then when we move and I take on more kids then it will happen.
countrymom 10:56 AM 08-16-2012
that is a crazy schedual. Nows your chance to fix it or get rid of them.
Annalee 10:56 AM 08-16-2012
Some parents may don't get it on their own. Too many times, we have to lay it out in elementary terms what we expect. She may give her notice and move on, then again she may linger causing you to "tell" her what she will do. Just sayin.......
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 06:48 PM 08-16-2012
I think it is gonna be one of those things that your right I'm gonna have to tell her. I can't believe she asked me today if when the contract comes out if she is still gonna be able to call me the night before to tell me if her daughter is coming or not. Ummm sure if you are Drop-In status then sure you can. If your part-time 3 days or less I get paid for the contracted hours regardless if child is in care or not. Oh how I can't wait for September.
EchoMom 06:54 PM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by Cozy_Kids_Childcare:
I think it is gonna be one of those things that your right I'm gonna have to tell her. I can't believe she asked me today if when the contract comes out if she is still gonna be able to call me the night before to tell me if her daughter is coming or not. Ummm sure if you are Drop-In status then sure you can. If your part-time 3 days or less I get paid for the contracted hours regardless if child is in care or not. Oh how I can't wait for September.
LOL, me too! Oh how I can't wait for January, that's when I'm passing out my new contract with major infant rate increase.
e.j. 06:37 AM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by Cozy_Kids_Childcare:
SO this is my odd situation that happen today. Maybe I just find it odd and it really isn't a big deal. Mom came to pick up daycare baby today but this time she brought some lady with her. After she walked in the door she introduced the lady to me as someone she works with and that she had to take her to pick up her car, she hopes I don't mind that she invited her in. Are you serious?
I had something similar happen to me only it was a grandparent, not a parent, showing off my day care to one of her co-workers. We had been very busy so at the end of the day, my house looked like a tornado went through it. The kids had slept late so after nap, I just left the nap mats, pillows and blankets on the floor and had them go to the kitchen for snack. While the kids were eating, some parents arrived for early pick up. I was running around trying to serve the kids seconds, trying to help potty training kids in the bathroom and trying to get the kids who were leaving changed and ready to go.

When this woman arrived to pick up her grandchild, she told me she wanted to show the room to her friend. I explained that it wasn't a good time but she walked right on through the closed doors of my playroom saying, "Oh no problem! She grew up with 6 kids in her family; she knows what it's like. We just want to look." This family tends to have problems with boundaries anyway so I shouldn't have been surprised but I couldn't believe how she completely disregarded the fact that I had just told her it wasn't a good time. I can't imagine having that kind of nerve.
Reply Up