Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Ask For a Few Hours Off?
mim 04:43 PM 04-30-2014
I just found out that my ds has a competition for math in a couple of weeks. It is just certain kids that get picked to compete. Unfortunately it is too soon to ask for a vacation day as I say I will provide 4wks notice to take a paid vacation day. It is in just under 2 wks. I really want to go because it's at an expo center so its a big deal. Math Triathlon of sorts. I never get to do things like this for my kids. Mainly because as dcp we work every day for 12-15hrs/day. I would only need a couple hours off during lunch time. Like 11:30-2ish. Would it be bad to let them know I have to close at 11:30 and can reopen at 2pm and still charge a full daily rate. I have kids as early as 4pm and as late 5:45pm and kids coming and leaving at all times in between. What would you do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
jenn 04:59 PM 04-30-2014
Do you have a sub that could cover for you during that time? I know each state is different, so I'm not sure what your laws about that are. If you can't get a sub, I would probably just close for the day, even if it is unpaid. It would be my luck that if I tried to close early or for just part of the day, someone would not show up and I would be stuck at home.
mim 05:11 PM 04-30-2014
I do have a sub, but they work full time so they can only cover a couple hours in the morning before work so I can go to dr appts and stuff. I was thinking about taking the day off but unpaid is a good chunk since I have 8 kids. And its my luck too about someone not picking up.
VTMom 05:16 PM 04-30-2014
I'd either close at 11:00 for the rest of the day, or take the whole day off. It sounds like you will really regret it if you miss it, so make sure that you don't! I wouldn't reopen afterwards. Take your son out to celebrate!

I'd give them notice as soon as you can. Don't ask, don't explain. Just let them know what you decide for your closing (in the morning or the whole day off), what that means payment-wise, and you apologize for any inconvenience.

Congratulations!
VTMom 05:17 PM 04-30-2014
Originally Posted by mim:
I do have a sub, but they work full time so they can only cover a couple hours in the morning before work so I can go to dr appts and stuff. I was thinking about taking the day off but unpaid is a good chunk since I have 8 kids. And its my luck too about someone not picking up.
Ah...take the day off for sure! You won't regret the time you spend supporting your son!
Cradle2crayons 05:47 PM 04-30-2014
I'd take off half a day... Warn about late fees if they don't pick up on time and credit them only a half of a day. At least you would not have to do without a whole days income.
Shell 06:15 PM 04-30-2014
I posted about a very similar scenario about a month ago. I was a nervous wreck about taking a 1/2 day- most of my parents are very accommodating, but I have one that never has a back up, and makes me feel terrible when I need a day off
With the advice from this forum, I sent dcm an email that stated the day and time I was closing. No explanation, no "sorry", just the facts. I was shocked when dcm responded, "No problem". So, that's my advice, too- just do it- you need the time off, and you have a life, too!
taylorw1210 04:56 AM 05-01-2014
I say just do it! Take the entire day off. I sometimes have to close for various personal reasons (actually just sent a letter yesterday informing parents I was closing the Tuesday at Memorial Day) and with enough notice and their rate being pro-rated, I don't get too many complaints. And even if I do, I remind myself AND them that they sometimes need to take days off from their job for personal things and I need to do the same occasionally.
Play Care 05:05 AM 05-01-2014
Don't ask, TELL!

"On x date I will be closing at x time to attend a family function. Thank you for your understanding." You don't even have to say family function, you could just say you are closing early on that day.

Make sure your time is with enough leeway in case anyone is late (and charge accordingly!!)
LadyPearl 05:23 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Don't ask, TELL!

"On x date I will be closing at x time to attend a family function. Thank you for your understanding." You don't even have to say family function, you could just say you are closing early on that day.

Make sure your time is with enough leeway in case anyone is late (and charge accordingly!!)
You don't ask!!! Daycare parents are not your employer. It still amazes me how so many parents think we shouldn't attend our own functions because it inconveniences them!
mim 06:19 AM 05-01-2014
Thank you all for advice. It was very helpful. I do think dcp forget or maybe just don't care that we are parents too. I will just text and let them know. Thank you
KiddieCahoots 07:10 AM 05-01-2014
Maybe think about changing your vacation/personal day notice from 4 weeks notice to 2 weeks. More leeway for you.
Parents that complain usually complain either way, may as well make it work better for you.
Crazy8 08:02 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
Maybe think about changing your vacation/personal day notice from 4 weeks notice to 2 weeks. More leeway for you.
Parents that complain usually complain either way, may as well make it work better for you.
I did this about a year ago. I miss soooo many things for my kids because of the daycare, but fortunately my husband's schedule is a little more flexible and he can go to some stuff. But last year I was redoing my contract and I decided the 30 day notice is only if I am using an entire vacation week, and made using individual days only 48 hours notice. I also changed it to let them use their days individually without notice (like for sick days instead of just vacation) so they felt like they were getting something in return.

I would either close for the whole day or close at 11am, wouldn't bother reopening - if they have to pick the kids up chances are they will make arrangements for the rest of the day.
Annalee 08:44 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
I have in my contract, I will let them know as soon as possible....especially with personal days.....those can arise at anytime. This is all included with my 52 weeks pay.....no pro-rating. My parents pay regardless.....spot, not attendance and my closings don't change the pay scale either.
mim 09:00 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I have in my contract, I will let them know as soon as possible....especially with personal days.....those can arise at anytime. This is all included with my 52 weeks pay.....no pro-rating. My parents pay regardless.....spot, not attendance and my closings don't change the pay scale either.
I am curious to know exactly how that is stated in your contract, like how many days you can take total and such. I am just afraid if I word it how you put it, parents may think I will be taking off all the time and they have to pay anyways. kwim?
Unregistered 09:56 AM 05-01-2014
You don't ask. You just tell them you are taking off.
Soccermom 10:04 AM 05-01-2014
All parents with a child who goes to an in home daycare NEEDS to have at least 2 back up plans. Anything can happen and we don't have any staff to come to the rescue. I confirm it before I sign a contract with them.

Most of us have children and we do this to be able to make $ while still caring for our own children. Parents need to remember and realize this.

As long as you are not taking days off all the time, I wouldn't even think twice about it. Just tell them you have an important event going on that day and you will be required to close for the day.

If you haven't talked about backup plans...this is a good opportunity to do so.

Most parents are really understanding and those who aren't likely aren't a good fit for in home childcare.

Don't feel guilty hun...your DS comes first

Also...never be afraid to make changes to you rules and regulations, especially if you are just starting out. Most of us make it up as we go by seeing what works and what doesn't work in the first few years.
Annalee 10:16 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by mim:
I am curious to know exactly how that is stated in your contract, like how many days you can take total and such. I am just afraid if I word it how you put it, parents may think I will be taking off all the time and they have to pay anyways. kwim?
After listing my holidays, professional and vacation days, I say xxxx may close unlimited emergency days without notice..i.e. no water/electricity, serious death/illness in family, etc. xxxx will also use personal days for special family time throughout the year i.e. school graduation, weddings, etc. Notice will be given as soon as possible. I know this can be hard for providers because it was for me when I began to clamp down on parents. Bottom line, you gotta protect yourself. This is our livelihood. Be strong. These are some words my mentor gives me to this day. We have to help each other. Be non-negotiable whatever you decide to do. Some parents are just going to be gripers. But they will just have to get over it.
My3cents 10:48 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by LadyPearl:
You don't ask!!! Daycare parents are not your employer. It still amazes me how so many parents think we shouldn't attend our own functions because it inconveniences them!
I agree we shouldn't ask- but honestly I do it out of politeness. It doesn't matter if they say no or not, I am still going to close and its rare that I do this or ask this of my parents. Just me-
Reply Up