Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>AS during Summer Break
Christina72684 10:13 AM 06-02-2014
I will have ONE after schooler during summer break. We told the other DC families that we are no longer doing AS care (YEA!!!!!) but this is a sibling with 2 other brothers here so we made the exception. Now I'm regretting it because I'm afraid he will make nap time difficult. Plus one of his other 2 brothers will be in K in the fall, so he won't be napping much longer.

Do you keep your AS kids quiet enough during summer break so they don't disturb your other kids? I wish I had another room to put them in but my space is one large room. I thought about setting up a computer for him to use with headphones. Or he can bring his tablet or whatever handheld gaming system he has as long as it doesn't cause any problems. If it was me I would want my son with other kids his own age (I have 3-5 year olds and he's 8) especially since there are so many summer camp options that cost about the same.
lilcupcakes09 10:30 AM 06-02-2014
I have 4 that nap and 4 who are before/after school, I have no problems during naptime with them being quiet. I usually turn on a movie and they are allowed to play their DS's, ipods, and ipads quietly. My littles ones are in a seperate room so that probably makes it easier for me. They are also allowed to play quietly in the playroom while the others sleep. It usually works our pretty well, they are old enough to know better.
cheerfuldom 10:33 AM 06-02-2014
Honestly, I would just let him go if you can.

Otherwise, are you allowed to put him in another room to watch a movie or something? Can he be trusted?

sounds like it is going to be a long summer for you
Play Care 10:35 AM 06-02-2014
Honestly I would talk to the parents about a different placement -stressing that while you love DCB, you feel he's bored being the only big kid and may benefit from a summer camp. I don't know tht I'd feel comfortable keeping him all summer knowing there will be issues, KWIM?
I do have a schedule for the SA kids in my care during nap time, but they can be in a different area without me and go outside with out me. I have them do a half hour of quiet reading, a half hour of educational electronics and then they can go outside for a bit (I watch from my window). But I would think only having one kid would be too difficult.
VTMom 11:20 AM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by lilcupcakes09:
I have 4 that nap and 4 who are before/after school, I have no problems during naptime with them being quiet. I usually turn on a movie and they are allowed to play their DS's, ipods, and ipads quietly. My littles ones are in a seperate room so that probably makes it easier for me. They are also allowed to play quietly in the playroom while the others sleep. It usually works our pretty well, they are old enough to know better.
I have a similar situation here too. Half nappers, half older school agers. Following lunch, the older kids need to read quietly for an hour before being allowed to have electronics. I also put on a movie or show (after reading hour) if there were kids who were interested.

My nappers also have a separate napping room. Without that, I don't know how I'd make it work.

Good luck!
DaisyMamma 06:20 AM 06-03-2014
Because its only one I think it will be fine. If there were two then I would be worried. But either way get a tablet or computer with headphones and he will be fine.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:45 AM 06-03-2014
My SAs "read, write, or draw," during nap. Occasionally (esp. if there's just one), they listen to audio books on headphones while drawing. It works well. But they are in a different room, with 2 rooms separating them from the nappers.

Is there somewhere else yours can be? Otherwise, I think it would be very difficult. Maybe a private corner--furniture arranged to create a private spot, or a pop-up tent or something--so they can't see what he's doing? But I think having to sit perfectly still for all of nap time would be very challenging. I'd try really hard to find another place in the house for him.
heyhun77 10:53 AM 06-03-2014
I have 3 school agers who are currently working on their learning activities while my other 5 nap. They have 1 word activity daily, 1 journal prompt daily, they research a state each day with the goal of completing a book about their country Abby the end of summer then they are expected to read for 40 minutes and I have them do an online program for math concepts and fact fluency. This keeps them pottery busy and their minds sharp through the summer and it's typically poet quiet. When they are done they can do Lego's, play outside, read some more draw, ect. The while learning time takes them about an hour total including reading and a lot of times they will start it after breakfast.
Reply Up