Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Reward Jar
CeriBear 05:24 AM 08-22-2020
I’m thinking about using a reward jar with my new class. I really don’t like giving out stickers or other goodies to the kids who are following the rules but I want to do something as an incentive. What I’m thinking about doing is getting a jar and putting a smiley face on it. When the children sit quietly for circle, use helping hands, use quiet voices, etc. They can each drop a marble into the smiley jar. If a child hasn’t been making good choices he/she doesn’t drop a marble in the jar but I will never take a marble out of the jar or make the child take a marble out. I don’t believe in punishing children and this is taking away something that is already earned. Once a marble is earned it’s there to stay. When the marble jar is full the entire class gets a special treat. One time it could be more playtime outside, one time it could be a special treat at snack (if that’s not considered rewarding with food) If they fill the marble jar up 5 times we could have a movie day/pajama party. I know another teacher who does something similar but I want other opinions or ideas. I don’t want to seem as if I am bribing them.
springv 10:48 AM 08-22-2020
I like the idea. We use a calander and if they are good, they get a happy face and if they are bad they get a sad face and if they are really bad, they get a sad face plus a note home explaining what they had done
Jo123ABC 11:09 PM 08-22-2020
We have a treasure box. They each have a map sticker chart they have to get 20 stickers to get a novelty toy out of my pirate chest. They have the opportunity to earn 2 stickers per day. 1 for no timeouts and 1 for being quiet during quiet/nap time. They love it! I like your marble idea too!
Mariposa 12:12 AM 08-23-2020
Love it.

I have raffle tickets-just 1 $ at $ Tree. Ae made purses (folded paper, stapled on sides, hole punch ribbon to hang, they decorated). They get to redeem at the student store (all $ tree) each week or save. Good deeds, problem solving, things they are working on (my kiddo is so good I have to really search. They need to go above and beyond my expectations without asking or hinting at a prize. So she shuts the screen door she gets one. My 7 yr old daughter isn't figuring it out. She is working on doing her job chart without complaint-one ticket for working and one for a good attitude. Grunts, moans, complains, you name it.

My school agers are self sufficient and I guide littles.

Things don't sell-they go on sale.
Teaches money systems, too.
Blackcat31 07:29 AM 08-23-2020
I dunno, I’m not a fan of rewarding for expected behavior and I also think rewarding as a group is unfair to those that are almost always well behaved as basically the end reward depends only on the kids that aren’t good.

Ultimately when the jar is full (because of the well behaved kids) the “not so well behaved” kids also reap the reward if I’m reading correctly...

Also can you elaborate on what you mean by not believing in punishing kids? I’m curious what you mean by that.

I don’t think punishment belongs in a classroom either but discipline is necessary at times for correcting unwanted or negative behaviors.
Former Teacher 08:00 AM 08-23-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I dunno, I’m not a fan of rewarding for expected behavior and I also think rewarding as a group is unfair to those that are almost always well behaved as basically the end reward depends only on the kids that aren’t good.

Ultimately when the jar is full (because of the well behaved kids) the “not so well behaved” kids also reap the reward if I’m reading correctly...

Also can you elaborate on what you mean by not believing in punishing kids? I’m curious what you mean by that.

I don’t think punishment belongs in a classroom either but discipline is necessary at times for correcting unwanted or negative behaviors.
I TOTALLY agree with BC. Why "reward" the "naughty" kids once the jar is full?

When I did preschool we had the same system Mariposa. You earn tickets. Each kiddo had a pouch. You can only buy on Fridays (or if it's a holiday-last day of the week). It worked great!
CeriBear 09:57 AM 08-23-2020
I think discipline is different from punishment as it teaches correct behaviors rather than just focusing on bad ones. Putting Johnny in time out for knocking over Jimmys tower in the block center is punishment. Having Johnny leave the block area and explaining to him why he can’t play with blocks for a while teaches him. I then give him a chance to try again and if the behavior occurs it’s no more blocks for the day.
Tags:reward charts, reward system
Reply Up