Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCP Texted About Dried Poop
DeeDee 06:26 PM 03-24-2020
I received a text tonight from DCD, which is pretty similar to what DCM sent previously. I chickened out and didn't respond to the first text 2 weeks ago; I dislike confrontation and I really didn't know how/what to respond.

Message from DCM: about 2 wks prior

Hey DCP. DCB came home with dried popped on his butt and he smelled horrible. Can you please ensure he is cleaned properly, I don't want him having an excoriations. Thanks

Message from DCD: This evening
Hi DCP,

I dropped DCB at my moms right after I picked him up. She said she had to give him a bath because of dried pooped that was stuck to his skin. Please change him regularly. I don't want him to have rash or health issues.

Thanks

DCB has been in my care for 2 1/2yrs and this has never happened before, nor have I had this happen with any of my other DCK's. I change all of the kids regularly, and right away if they have a BM. DCB is usually always the last one to get picked up, so I'm assuming either he had a BM while the other DCK's were being picked up or during the car ride home. Since all the kids get a change right before pick-up and then we put on coats, shoes, etc...

Can't believe I'm spending so much time thinking about poop, smh

How/what would you guys respond. Do I need to add a policy about this? I really don't know. I'm at a loss.

Thanks guys
kendallina 07:34 PM 03-24-2020
My first thought...does this child have any symptoms of a dairy (or other) allergy?

Both of my children (and a few daycare kids) have had a dairy allergy and one thing that they all have in common is what I call "poop-toots". They have small, in-the-underwear accidents (this is when they're older and in underwear obviously). What you're describing is exactly how it presented. But my kiddos were older, so it was in the underwear...
Cat Herder 03:58 AM 03-25-2020
Is this child an older toddler? Tall and thin? Sometimes when they are tall providers don't lift them high enough to see the top of the buttocks/lower back area. It feels like you are shoving their shoes into their faces because of those long legs.

Once they are laid on the clean diaper to close, the chances of seeing are low due to how high the diaper goes up their backs. Back when I was training, this was a common occurrence with new hires, especially in children with darker skin.

I always taught them to roll the legs to each side after wiping, but before placing the new diaper and check the lower back/spine. Using a thin coat of skin protectant every other change will cut down on the chances of it, too.

If you are already doing that, I would suspect the same as Kendallina. Watery flatulence on the ride home. Maybe DCM is a tailgater/hard braker and the kid is hitting his air brakes all the way home??
DeeDee 05:22 AM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by kendallina:
My first thought...does this child have any symptoms of a dairy (or other) allergy?

Both of my children (and a few daycare kids) have had a dairy allergy and one thing that they all have in common is what I call "poop-toots". They have small, in-the-underwear accidents (this is when they're older and in underwear obviously). What you're describing is exactly how it presented. But my kiddos were older, so it was in the underwear...
DCB is 2 1/2, I haven't noticed any symptoms of an allergy. But I'll have to keep an eye out, in case that might be the cause.
lovemykidstoo 06:53 AM 03-25-2020
I would talk to them about it Maybe there is a simple explanation. Avoiding them shows guilt in my opinion. Let me explain, not that you're guilty of not wiping him well, but not basically standing up for yourself kinda shows that if that makes sense. When our son was in daycare he came home a couple of times like that and I did talk to the provider about it. Come to find out her teenage daughter had changed his diaper, so she simply talked to her about it and it never happened again.

This seems like a really simple fix, but you do have to respond to your clients.
MyAngels 07:36 AM 03-25-2020
In this case, since they seem to have an ongoing concern, I'd simply do a diaper change in front of the parent before sending this child home. That eliminates any questions about cleanliness or dried poo.
e.j. 08:07 AM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by DeeDee:
I change all of the kids regularly, and right away if they have a BM. DCB is usually always the last one to get picked up, so I'm assuming either he had a BM while the other DCK's were being picked up or during the car ride home. Since all the kids get a change right before pick-up and then we put on coats, shoes, etc...
I would reply with what you told us above. I'd let them know you're at a loss for how this is happening but offer to check the child, with the parent present, before he leaves for home. That way, you both know dcb isn't leaving your house with dried poop on his bum.

Before I opened my own day care, my son went to another day care in the area. He started coming home with "skid marks" in his diaper. After a couple of times, I politely asked his day care provider to make sure she cleaned his bum better to make sure he didn't get a rash. It wasn't until I saw the same skid marks in his diaper at home one weekend - after I had changed him myself and knew I hadn't left any poop on his bum - that I realized it wasn't his provider's fault. I felt bad for assuming it was!
DeeDee 11:45 AM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Is this child an older toddler? Tall and thin? Sometimes when they are tall providers don't lift them high enough to see the top of the buttocks/lower back area. It feels like you are shoving their shoes into their faces because of those long legs.

Once they are laid on the clean diaper to close, the chances of seeing are low due to how high the diaper goes up their backs. Back when I was training, this was a common occurrence with new hires, especially in children with darker skin.

I always taught them to roll the legs to each side after wiping, but before placing the new diaper and check the lower back/spine. Using a thin coat of skin protectant every other change will cut down on the chances of it, too.

If you are already doing that, I would suspect the same as Kendallina. Watery flatulence on the ride home. Maybe DCM is a tailgater/hard braker and the kid is hitting his air brakes all the way home??
I'm usually pretty good about cleaning this area. And I give a once over once were off the changing table just to make sure. DCB didn't have any poopy diapers yesterday, so I know it wasn't left over poop from a previous BM.

After speaking to DCD today, it sounds like what you and Kendallina said may be the cause. Thank you!
Cat Herder 11:57 AM 03-25-2020
I am so glad to hear that. Dealing with parents can be so awkward at times.
DeeDee 12:31 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I would talk to them about it Maybe there is a simple explanation. Avoiding them shows guilt in my opinion. Let me explain, not that you're guilty of not wiping him well, but not basically standing up for yourself kinda shows that if that makes sense. When our son was in daycare he came home a couple of times like that and I did talk to the provider about it. Come to find out her teenage daughter had changed his diaper, so she simply talked to her about it and it never happened again.

This seems like a really simple fix, but you do have to respond to your clients.
I understand what you mean, thanks for that perspective I didn't think about it like that. Your absolutely right I do need to respond back, my clients deserve a reply.

That's one of the things I'm trying to be better about doing; I start overanalyzing, and trying to find the best way to phrase things and then end up saying nothing at all.

Thank you for the feedback!
DeeDee 12:39 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
In this case, since they seem to have an ongoing concern, I'd simply do a diaper change in front of the parent before sending this child home. That eliminates any questions about cleanliness or dried poo.
That's a great idea!! I do remember seeing a post about another provider who did the same, it completely slipped my mind. I'll definitely be implementing this at drop-off today, this way both me and DCM/DCD are all on the same page.

Thank you!
lovemykidstoo 04:50 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by DeeDee:
I understand what you mean, thanks for that perspective I didn't think about it like that. Your absolutely right I do need to respond back, my clients deserve a reply.

That's one of the things I'm trying to be better about doing; I start overanalyzing, and trying to find the best way to phrase things and then end up saying nothing at all.

Thank you for the feedback!
I'm glad you didn't take offense, I truly didn't mean any. I'm an overanalizer too lol. The child could very well be expelling a small amount like someone said and it's drying before they're checking him also, but for sure I would talk with them about it. Good luck!
Tags:allergies - dairy, poop
Reply Up