Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>LICENSE vs. UNLICENSED ENROLLMENT CALLS
seashell 09:17 AM 06-18-2009
I currently run an unlicensed home daycare and I am considering becoming licensed. Now before you jump on me for being unlicense, let me tell you why I chose not to become licensed.

I previously owned a large center and I was licensed. I was discusted at the level of professionalism and training the "Inspectors" received. I had no respect for the system and I honestly believe daycare is between the parent and the provider. Parents have a sense of false trust when they see a licensed center. They believe there is someone looking over the program, watching whats going on. We all know the truth here. Licensing come to see you once a year? If that? I went 4 years between visits at one point. Parents are in and out everyday. They see whats going on. Licensing? They are clueless!

So that's my first reason for not getting licensed. I just dont believe it makes for better care.

My second reason is that it is very expensive to have the medical exams done if you don't have insurance.

And before anyone starts yelling, I DO PAY TAXES ON THE MONEY I MAKE!

These reasons combine, I chose not to get a license. I am now reconsidering for one reason. Exposure.

I had a full house until about a month ago. One child moved out of state. Another had her grandma retire and start to care for her. 2 moms just got laid off. Im sure you know how much that hurts losing the kids you love, let alone the financial problems that come along with it.

I advertise on Craigslist for kids, but I haven't had a phone call in several weeks.

So here's my question. Do you receive more calls for daycare based on referals from state licensing or from advertising that you do?

Thanks!
Tags:licensed vs unlicensed
Up