Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Have a Sugar-Free Daycare?
Sunchimes 03:52 PM 02-15-2014
I have 2 kids with some behavioral issues. One is a 1 year old with SPD. Neurologists have warned us to expect problems. The other is a typical 3 yo who seems to be taking the rumor of the Terrible Threes to heart. I've done enough research to know that there is evidence on both sides blaming and absolving sugar for behavioral problems. I'm going to talk to the therapists and dietician about it before I approach the parents. I wonder if any of you have a sugar-free DC and how you handle it.
melonieb 04:39 PM 02-15-2014
I run a sugar free daycare. I actually run my household on a sugar free diet, so it easier for me. My kids are ADHD and on medication, but the diet helps out too.
melonieb 04:40 PM 02-15-2014
Forgot to add, I do inform my parents that I run a sugar free daycare and they are fine with it.
Evansmom 04:44 PM 02-15-2014
OP do you mean sugar free as in no candy and desserts or do you also mean including grains (crackers, bread, rice, pasta) flours, fruit, beans and anything else that turns to sugar in the body? Just trying to clarify bc primal and paleo diets exclude grains, beans etc.
Sunchimes 04:55 PM 02-15-2014
At this point, I'm just thinking of no cookies, pancake syrup, etc. I have never given them candy, even on holidays, but we do have cookies 2-3 a week. My husband likes having them around, so we usually have them on hand. I know that eliminating beans etc would be better, but I'm not willing to go to that much trouble and expense unless both families get on board for nights and weekends. I don't see that happening. Maybe if I try an abbreviated version here and see results, we will all jump on board 100%. Just something I'm thinking about.
Evansmom 05:42 PM 02-15-2014
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
At this point, I'm just thinking of no cookies, pancake syrup, etc. I have never given them candy, even on holidays, but we do have cookies 2-3 a week. My husband likes having them around, so we usually have them on hand. I know that eliminating beans etc would be better, but I'm not willing to go to that much trouble and expense unless both families get on board for nights and weekends. I don't see that happening. Maybe if I try an abbreviated version here and see results, we will all jump on board 100%. Just something I'm thinking about.
I don't run my daycare anymore but my family eats mostly primal (Mark Sission website called Mark's Daily Apple) and we have been doing this for 2 years, we will never go back. We just feel so much better. And since we all have different allergies and food sensitivities it simplifies everything. We occasionally make rice noodles for my 6 year old son and we will sometimes have a cheat day about once every 2 months or so. We only eat meats, veggies and some fruit and dairy products. It makes cooking so easy!

I'd encourage you to try it. If you've got kids it would benefit it would be worth it. The initial change is sometimes challenging but once you get the hang of it it's easy.
NoMoreJuice! 06:22 AM 02-16-2014
Evansmom, I LOVE Mark's Daily Apple! I get tons of recipes from him. The man's a genius.

I just posted a super long-winded post on the "food program" post...if you do nothing else in your family's nutrition, just stop feeding grains! I had one dc family approach me about feeding their children healthier foods on the weekends, and I asked what healthy foods they were already incorporating(my little trick to find out what they believe is healthy).

They said, "well, we feed them fruit and juice all the time!" FIRST of all, check out my handle. NOMOREJUICE means No More Juice!!! That is nothing but straight sugar. It would be better to hand your kid a handful of sugar cubes, because at least those aren't disguised as a health food.

I'm getting off topic. Basically, I advised this family(and all my families) to stop with the grains. The Paleo diet books are selling off the shelves, but it is such an easy and simple thing to figure out. Our ancestors (not even that many generations ago!) were super healthy and lived long lives free from diabetes and heart attacks and dozens of other diseases. What were they lacking in their diet that we are centering ours around? Grains and processed foods!

It's simple: if our ancestors couldn't hunt it or gather it, it doesn't belong on our plates. Animal protein, animal fat, fruits, and veggies. No soy, no grains, nothing that was ever in a factory!!

Good luck on your journey to making a healthier family!
Stepping 07:52 AM 02-16-2014
I don't add any sugar or syrup to their meals or serve sugary foods, such as cookies etc. we're also a no juice daycare.

The only time dck's have high sugar foods are on birthdays when parents bring in a treat.

My parents love the fact that we don't serve high sugar, processed foods. It's a big selling point.
Sunchimes 04:01 PM 02-16-2014
Thanks Evansmom, I'll check that out. Sounds interesting.

We don't do a lot of un-natural sugar here, but any is too much if it turns out to be true that it effects behavior. We have pancakes once a week. The 3 yo gets syrup but the little ones get applesauce or yogurt because I don't want to deal with toddlers and syrup. I am going to stop the syrup I think. I was buying Log Cabin because it had no HFCS, but our WM quit carrying it. I protested to the manager and the main office but they just spouted standard replies.
They get 1 cookie for snack 2 or 3 times a week. I almost never give them cakes or cupcakes. Our downfall is doughnuts. All eat breakfast (no, I don't give them doughnuts for breakfast) here, but the 1 yo's older brother gets doughnuts and Poptarts for breakfast several days a week and little one sees and wants. So by the time he gets here, he's already on a sugar high.

If I do this, I'm going to ask her not to do that. For Valentine's day, she sent everyone doughnut holes. It was very sweet of her, and we appreciated it very much. However, I couldn't face a full day of doughnut filled kids. I saved them until after nap and served them right before pickup.

We don't do juice here very often. I bought a 6 pack of those little cans of apple juice around Christmas and still have 3 left. If 3 yo old asks for juice (which isn't often), I open 1 can and water it down to give all 3 kids a few sips. It satisfies them and I don't feel too bad.
MsLaura529 07:08 PM 02-16-2014
The only time we have sugary treats is for a birthday. I make rice krispie treats, or parent brings in a small treat. Otherwise - even on the holidays when they decorate cookies and such, they take them home. I don't do syrup with waffles or pancakes. No juice.
Reply Up