Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stuck......
mia 09:41 AM 05-06-2014
Sorry this may be long

I got a text yesterday for childcare ( which is great ), it would be for 2 boys (2yrs and 1yrs) right now 4 days and then 5 a week later.... Sounds great right

Well the thing is, is that right at this time I only have room 2 days and then 5 come Sept.

The problem is, is that I have a few clients that will be leaving

1- with 2 children ( sent them to center center 2 days here 3 days, come Sept the oldest will be in school (not near me, so he would be fully done), they are unsure if they are going to keep the younger one here part time or if they will put child into center center full time, (this is the family I've been mentioning about with the illness lately) (had this family for 3 yrs)

2- with one child will be going to school in Sept (i'm unsure if I want to start the before and after again, clients have marked child in for the extended care at the school) (great family, child can be iffy some days) ( had this family 2 1/2 yrs)

3- with one child - mom is pregnant and due in Aug, not sure what they are doing yet (this one is the one that allows child to run thorough out the house)
(had this family 1yr)
So this will leave me with one child in care which comes 4 days.

Question is do I accept these possible new clients and give client #1 notice and have them leave on a bad note?

Do I not accept and hope that some more possible clients will come closer to Sept? (I've got 7 different ads on Kijiji for almost 2 months, and this will be the second interview, out of 4 responses)

I have a meeting with this possible client Thurs evening.

I'M sooo suck on what to do.... For I'd hate to lose clients on a bad note and then not have this new family not work out. I do need the income at this point of time, I can not afford to not have any clients.
Leigh 09:57 AM 05-06-2014
I would absolutely give notice to family #1 and let them know that a full-time family takes priority over part-time, and since they already have the center caring for their kids 2 days a week, they shouldn't have a problem transitioning the kids to full-time there.
TwinKristi 10:05 AM 05-06-2014
You gotta do what you gotta do! I'm having a tough time with this as well and will have to make the same choice if this family who interviewed last night bites!
Crazy8 10:09 AM 05-06-2014
First interview and make sure this family is really a good fit for you and your daycare and then wait until you have signed paperwork and deposit in hand, then give family #1 notice. If it was only for one child I would give one of the other families notice, but for the 2 spots I would let them go, I am sure the center can take them the other days. You don't have to leave on a bad note, explain that full time care does take priority over part time, maybe even offer them the f/t spot if you want and then just explain that you have to make the very hard business decision to bring on a full time client.
cheerfuldom 11:24 AM 05-06-2014
do what is right for you. take the kids that you can now and dont wait around hoping that "maybe" families work out. you dont want to get screwed come fall and have everyone leave and you already turned away replacements!
Blackcat31 11:28 AM 05-06-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I would absolutely give notice to family #1 and let them know that a full-time family takes priority over part-time, and since they already have the center caring for their kids 2 days a week, they shouldn't have a problem transitioning the kids to full-time there.
Yep, full time always trumps part time in my book.

I will however offer the full time space FIRST to the current family but if they decline, I take the full timer.

In your case though, I see the part time family isn't going to be wanting a full time space since they are partially enrolled in a center already. In that case, I'd let them know they gotta go...

Nothing personal. Just business.
nothingwithoutjoy 06:37 PM 05-06-2014
For me, once a family is here, they have priority over other families (though in making a choice to enroll from two families, I'd choose full time). I wouldn't kick one family out to take another. I would do one of two things:

1) Tell the new family that you can offer them 2 days now; 5 in the fall. If they love your program, they'll figure out how to make it work.

2) Bribe family number 1. Tell them your predicament, and offer them something if they are willing to give their spot to the new family. You could offer some free days or a reduced rate until they leave or something else that makes them leave happy but ends up better for you in the end.
Reply Up