Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Prospective Client Worried 3 y.o. won’t Let Me Change Diaper
earlystart 11:38 AM 11-25-2014
Anyone have any experience with and older kid (3 y.o.) who doesn't want anyone besides mom/dad/grandma changing their diaper? I have a parent who wants to enroll but is worried her son will refuse to let me change his diaper. Unfortunately he's not potty trained yet. Any advice?
Heidi 11:41 AM 11-25-2014
I guess I just come from a world where "He won't let me" doesn't apply to 3 year olds.
Play Care 11:41 AM 11-25-2014
My policy is that I do not accept children over 3 who are not potty trained. And you've hit on one of the reasons

I would tell mom that if it concerns her that much, she needs to get him potty trained so it isn't an issue.
melilley 11:43 AM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I guess I just come from a world where "He won't let me" doesn't apply to 3 year olds.

I have an 11 month old who's mom said she has a really hard time changing her dd and that she won't let her. That doesn't fly here...lol She let's me change her and doesn't give me any problems, but I don't do "she won't let me".
Leigh 11:52 AM 11-25-2014
Exactly.
Heidi 11:57 AM 11-25-2014
Not kidding...my assistant's little stinker (3) doesn't "let" her do a lot of things, either. I got a clue last year (when he was still a dck), when he walked in with a cookie at 7am and "he won't let me take it away".

whaaaaattt? Heidi takes cookie, hands it back to mom, and opens the front door. "have a lovely day, mom!"
earlystart 12:08 PM 11-25-2014
To be honest, if she enrolls her son, I'm just going to change his diaper even if he cries, I don't know the boy, but what is he gonna do - hit me? He seemed like a calm somewhat shy kid. I told her she could teach him how to put on and take off a pull-up himself and I could let him do that for pee. I did tell her I've never had an issue with a kid not letting me yet, but did admit I've never had a kid this old with the issue, that younger kids may cry but they still let me do it. He's never been in group care away from his parents before, only went to a mommy-and-me type "preschool" group, so I don't even know if her concerns are justified. I think it had preschool teachers, but the parents were still there. I know kids act different around their parents than with daycare providers, and in general I find they're better behaved at preschool because they can't get away with bad behavior without swift consequences.
Cradle2crayons 12:09 PM 11-25-2014
I'm in the same world.
Heidi 12:16 PM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by earlystart:
To be honest, if she enrolls her son, I'm just going to change his diaper even if he cries, I don't know the boy, but what is he gonna do - hit me? He seemed like a calm somewhat shy kid. I told her she could teach him how to put on and take off a pull-up himself and I could let him do that for pee. I did tell her I've never had an issue with a kid not letting me yet, but did admit I've never had a kid this old with the issue, that younger kids may cry but they still let me do it. He's never been in group care away from his parents before, only went to a mommy-and-me type "preschool" group, so I don't even know if her concerns are justified. I think it had preschool teachers, but the parents were still there. I know kids act different around their parents than with daycare providers, and in general I find they're better behaved at preschool because they can't get away with bad behavior without swift consequences.
Oh boy, have fun with that one. He'll be the one that shows up the first day with a security blanket and pacifier, too.
Cradle2crayons 12:23 PM 11-25-2014
Oh boy, have fun with that one. He'll be the one that shows up the first day with a security blanket and pacifier, too.
And has to be rocked to sleep-! While singing the national anthem! While you rub his left leg just below the knee to the rhythm of "oh canada!"
Heidi 12:33 PM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
And has to be rocked to sleep-! While singing the national anthem! While you rub his left leg just below the knee to the rhythm of "oh canada!"

Tasha 09:43 PM 11-25-2014
This made me laugh so loud that I scared my cat, who jumped and ran right out of the room ...
Cradle2crayons 10:01 PM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by Tasha:
This made me laugh so loud that I scared my cat, who jumped and ran right out of the room ...
Thanks??
DaveA 03:23 AM 11-26-2014
Thanks- now I have to clean the soda I just spit out off the computer screen.

The concept of a 3 year old "not letting" me do something doesn't enter my train of thought. I'm sure he'll be fine after he gets over the "What are these things you call rules?" period.
nannyde 04:41 AM 11-26-2014
Well if we must we will spend all day every day doing "change the diaper". We will start hours before we need to if we must. We can all sit and wait till he says ok. We won't do anything else. It may take a day or two but soon enough he will be begging for a diaper change because it will be the most exciting thing that will happen to him all day long.
Heidi 04:52 AM 11-26-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
well if we must we will spend all day every day doing "change the diaper". We will start hours before we need to if we must. We can all sit and wait till he says ok. We won't do anything else. It may take a day or two but soon enough he will be begging for a diaper change because it will be the most exciting thing that will happen to him all day long.
once again
ColorfulSunburst 05:41 AM 11-26-2014
From time to time some child tries "don't allow" me to do something. My respond is always same: "I don't ask your permission, I just say what you must do"

Yesterday I asked my husband to send one boy (2.4) on potty. So it is what I have heard:
Husband: ***, do you want pee?
****:Not! I'm playing.

Me: ****, it's time to pee
***:OK
and then he went to bathroom and peed.
Reply Up