Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hoping someone can help me figure this out
Josiegirl 03:17 PM 03-11-2015
My backyard is all fenced in which is nice, it's safe and private. But getting to the backyard is a different story. The front door to my house is maybe 25' from the road and there is a sidewalk that leads right to it, plus lawn on both sides. You go out the door, down a couple steps, take an immediate right and go around the side of the house to the backyard. Going out there doesn't seem to be a problem; it's coming back in that either the dcks lose their listening skills(bigtime!) or if given any opportunity at all, one of them will bolt to wherever she can get to. Plus I have 2 dogs on leashes that go out with us.
I really would love to put some kind of fencing up that doesn't give anyone the option of going anyplace else except to the backyard. I don't know how to do that. Any suggestions??
I need to do something before the snow goes and their speed picks up, it's a hazard with the group I have right now.
Unregistered 03:32 PM 03-11-2015
Put up a dog run?
Baby Beluga 03:40 PM 03-11-2015
Do you have an entry/exit from your house to the backyard?

What about some type of picket fence to match the exterior of your house along the walkway?
Unregistered 03:43 PM 03-11-2015
I've seen the small garden fences at the Dollar Tree. Maybe use those as a guide? Or stepping stones? The kids would like that. I bought stepping stones at Lowe's for under a buck each.
Josiegirl 04:00 PM 03-11-2015
Haha a dog run might be just the thing!!

No BB, I don't have an exit to the backyard, I wish I did though!! The playroom runs along the whole back of the house and I've wondered what it would cost to put a door, with maybe a ramp out there.

I had talked to my fence guy last summer about putting the big stones as a walkway around the house but I'm not sure that would deter the running. And I'm not sure the garden fences would either.

I remember many years ago, I had a 4 yo dcb who didn't listen to a word I said, wouldn't hold my hand to come in(I'm talking thrashing screaming falling down on the ground), would take off running given an inch, and I could not wait for him to leave. He'd end up running into the neighbor's yards. Well, now I foresee another one except this child is only 20 months old. Hoping she'll change but to her, everything is funny right now.

Maybe I'll give my fence guy a call and ask him for ideas on fencing. I kind of like the idea of fencing in the whole front yard with the white picket fence type thing, then I'd have to have a gate by the road. But I don't want it to get ripped down by plows or weird things like that. And I'll ask my contractor guy to give me an idea of what it would cost to redo a wall in my playroom to include a door, with a ramp outside. Or maybe I'll just have to carry this little munchkin till she leaves my dc.
AuntTami 04:07 PM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:

No BB, I don't have an exit to the backyard, I wish I did though!! The playroom runs along the whole back of the house and I've wondered what it would cost to put a door, with maybe a ramp out there.

I had talked to my fence guy last summer about putting the big stones as a walkway around the house but I'm not sure that would deter the running. And I'm not sure the garden fences would either.

I remember many years ago, I had a 4 yo dcb who didn't listen to a word I said, wouldn't hold my hand to come in(I'm talking thrashing screaming falling down on the ground), would take off running given an inch, and I could not wait for him to leave. He'd end up running into the neighbor's yards. Well, now I foresee another one except this child is only 20 months old. Hoping she'll change but to her, everything is funny right now.

Maybe I'll give my fence guy a call and ask him for ideas on fencing. I kind of like the idea of fencing in the whole front yard with the white picket fence type thing, then I'd have to have a gate by the road. But I don't want it to get ripped down by plows or weird things like that. And I'll ask my contractor guy to give me an idea of what it would cost to redo a wall in my playroom to include a door, with a ramp outside. Or maybe I'll just have to carry this little munchkin till she leaves my dc.
You only have one door leading outside then?...........

Could you hang a rope from the back fence with some shower curtains and when you go in/out everyone has to hold onto the rope the whole way in/out? Consequences for not listening/holding on?
daycarediva 04:31 PM 03-11-2015
I would put an exterior door on! It would solve the problem permanently. Probably in line with the cost of fencing, too.
Heidi 04:33 PM 03-11-2015

Of all your options, I think adding the door seems like the best one. Most likely, it could be put in the same spot as a window, if that'll work for you. I'd get a "half light" door with glass on top, solid on the bottom. Not so smeary as full glass, but will let some natural light in.

Is it far down? Wondering why the ramp would be necessary?
Aussiedaycare 08:35 PM 03-11-2015
Could you put the 20 month old in a stroller for the short term until you sorted something more permanent?
Baby Beluga 09:16 PM 03-11-2015

Bummer! I think given your options, adding an exterior door would be your best bet. It would likely cost around the same as a fence and would help resale value I would think. Until then what about a walking rope that has the velcro wrist ties on it?
jenboo 09:26 PM 03-11-2015
Buy a few more leashes??
Josiegirl 03:12 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Buy a few more leashes??
Believe me, the thought has crossed my mind. I used to frown on those kid leashes but no more. As a provider and parent, I now understand why they get used.

Nope, no exit to the backyard. I do have a 2nd exit from the house, via my basement, in emergencies. Plus I also have windows all along the playroom. My house is smallish so in case of emergencies, we're right at the front door.

The ramp, I think, would be so much easier than trying to get dcks down steps. And there's not a lot of space there between my property and the neighbors so it could turn towards my yard. It is a little bit off the ground, I'm thinking maybe 6 steps or so.

Now to price something like that and see if it's affordable. In the meantime, holding tight to hands and/or carrying this particular child. At least until snow and mud season is over, then the stroller comes out.

Thanks everybody!
rosieteddy 05:49 AM 03-12-2015
I second the walking straps .I use them on the stroller and if someone decides to run they can't.Also another idea would be the walk-o-dile.That is a safety vest attatched to a walking rope to keep everyone together.Another portable fix would be a chicken wire fence (like a dog run) into yard.I used the plastic coral baby play yard to make a path into my play yard for just this reason.I used teent stakes to secure it on the bottom.It kept two dogs innnn and the kids had a walking path to the yard.I eventually got a short 3 ft high black with gate fence installed.The baby gate did work though.
DaveA 06:13 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I would put an exterior door on! It would solve the problem permanently. Probably in line with the cost of fencing, too.
That's what I was thinking, especially if the playroom would be directly accessing the fenced yard. How many windows does the playroom have? How wide are they? How high is the top of the window from the floor? You can't just cut out the window and framing beneath and drop in a door, but they can serve as a natural starting point.

Short term I would do more of the leashes/ walking ropes.
butterfly 08:35 AM 03-12-2015
If putting up a type of fence is an option, you may want to check out something like this: http://m.lowes.com/pd/No-Dig-BlackPo...6-8-in/3464104

I put this around my garden to keep the kids out. Very durable - kids lean and bang on it, but its too tall for them to walk over. So easy to install - I did it myself. There are several patterns available. My fence survived a harsh winter and still looks great.

I like the idea of adding a door, but that could be huge $$$.
Josiegirl 09:47 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by butterfly:
If putting up a type of fence is an option, you may want to check out something like this: http://m.lowes.com/pd/No-Dig-BlackPo...6-8-in/3464104

I put this around my garden to keep the kids out. Very durable - kids lean and bang on it, but its too tall for them to walk over. So easy to install - I did it myself. There are several patterns available. My fence survived a harsh winter and still looks great.

I like the idea of adding a door, but that could be huge $$$.
Hmmm, that looks interesting, and doable. Is it something that I could take down in the winter if I had to? How do you install it; do you use stakes for reinforcement? Maybe I can find something similar at Home Depot, I have gift cards to there.
Thanks!!
butterfly 10:25 AM 03-12-2015
Hmmm, that looks interesting, and doable. Is it something that I could take down in the winter if I had to? How do you install it; do you use stakes for reinforcement? Maybe I can find something similar at Home Depot, I have gift cards to there.
Thanks!!
Yes, it's very easy to remove and reinstall!!! It comes with peg like things that you stick into the ground and then the panels go over top of them. The pegs look a lot like miniature electric fence posts, if you are familiar with those? No digging required. You just step on the pegs to put them in the ground and the panels slide onto the pegs. Easy Peasy.
Reply Up