Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Neighbors Have Surveillance Camera Pointed in My Back Yard
Unregistered 05:42 AM 04-19-2016
I don't know what to do! They have a camera on there back window pointed right in my back yard. My daycare children deserve privacy as do I! I am really pissed about it! We called the cops they said they couldn't do anything about it that you can have a camera and point it where ever you want. I am looking in to a privacy fence. What would you do if your neighbor had a camera on your backyard?
Thriftylady 05:49 AM 04-19-2016
I might be inclined to go speak to the neighbors. Who knows maybe it is just a deterrent and isn't even on.
permanentvacation 05:49 AM 04-19-2016
You could simply ask them about it. Do they think that you might or have done something wrong to/with the kids that they made them feel the need to record your interactions with the kids? You said it makes you want to put a privacy fence up. Is there any fence at all between your yards now? If not, they are probably monitoring whether or not your kids/toys get into their yard. They could be monitoring just because they don't want your kids/stuff on their precious grass or because they're worried about liability if one of your kids get hurt on their property.
Blackcat31 05:51 AM 04-19-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I don't know what to do! They have a camera on there back window pointed right in my back yard. My daycare children deserve privacy as do I! I am really pissed about it! We called the cops they said they couldn't do anything about it that you can have a camera and point it where ever you want. I am looking in to a privacy fence. What would you do if your neighbor had a camera on your backyard?
I have cameras all over my yard. Many "appear" to be aimed where they are not.

Are you SURE the camera captures your back yard purposely or does it capture your yard 'while' covering their own?

If the police have been there, I am guessing it just happens to capture your back yard but isn't doing so purposely. IF that is the case, that is why the police can't do anything about it.

I'd also consult an attorney and ask about laws in your state/city but don't be surprised if they aren't in your favor either as although this type of thing has become an issue, it's not always so cut and dried.
Blackcat31 05:53 AM 04-19-2016
Different states have different laws regarding surveillance. In some states, mere visual recording is not illegal so long as the camera is on your neighbor’s property.

In other states, visual recording is acceptable but any audio recording is not. And in other states, all forms of recording might face criminal or civil penalties.

Generally, any publically viewable areas like back yards are fair game – which is how companies like Google can record their Street View images across the United States.
JackandJill 06:09 AM 04-19-2016
Is there a section in your yard that you can play and be out of range? I would play there while you wait for the fence to be installed. I would also chat with the neighbors and let them know your concerns, maybe they have a good reason for the camera, or didn't realize your perspective of the children's privacy! Open conversation is always the best starting point
Ariana 06:29 AM 04-19-2016
I would also talk to the neighbours about it and make up a little white lie that parents are concerned about it. Other than that I wouldn't let it bother me. The neighbour could just as easily be sitting and staring out their window so to me I wouldn't care. I feel like if they are normal people this is just an innocent situation where it seems like the camera is focused on your property but it isn't.
Unregistered 06:55 AM 04-19-2016
It is pointed directly across the fence in to my yard! No way can they see there yard on that camera it would have to be faced a whole different direction.
permanentvacation 07:09 AM 04-19-2016
You could start waving to the camera, or if you don't like them, giving them the finger or something. Or, if you're like me, I'd put my 250 pound self in the skimpiest bikini I could. Then stare right at the camera and shake it for them while blaring the country song by Luke Bryan 'Country Girl Shake it for me'! I'd give 'em a good show that they will remember for the rest of their lives! But,,, then again, that's me... that's something I would do. I can be a 'little not too right' if I want to be.
Blackcat31 07:09 AM 04-19-2016
It is pointed directly across the fence in to my yard! No way can they see there yard on that camera it would have to be faced a whole different direction.
Unfortunately, as stated above ANY open and viewable space is considered "public" when it comes to videos.

It may be surveillance only and not record.

It may be video picture only and not capture audio.

If either of the above are true, there is nothing you can do about it. Your back yard is considered "public" in those examples.
Cat Herder 07:31 AM 04-19-2016
My neighbor has the same thing pointing at my playground area. Along with others surrounding her property. It served us well when her property was vandalized with paintballs.

I have tennis netting over our fencing for privacy, she has cameras for security.

She also bakes a mean homegrown blueberry muffin the DCK's enjoy.
Mike 07:41 AM 04-19-2016
As Blackcat31 said, the laws are different everywhere. Find out what is and is not allowed in your state, then you will know what you can or can't do about it. Whether it's allowed or not, I'd start with asking them about it.

If they have any suspicions about you, blocking their view will just cause problems, and it's just an expense that you shouldn't have to do, unless there is no fence now, then that can be a good idea.
hope 07:59 AM 04-19-2016
I have a crazy neighbor (have posted on him hefe before) that also has cameras pointed into my yard and do not cover any of his yard. I have had police look at it and spoke with my attorney and there is nothing I can do as long as it is not pointed into any of my windows or it is being recorded and distributed. I keep kids on the other side of my yard out of view from the camera. We are also looking into planting huge trees to block the cameras view. A privacy fence will not be enough because he can move the cameras higher up on his side. Depending on your relationship with them, I would suggest first speaking with them or sending a letter to discuss your concern.
Josiegirl 09:43 AM 04-19-2016
It's not really much different than somebody staring out their window I guess. Creepy either way. I'd go with the privacy fence for sure.
Although you'd think if they're watching kids, the officials would make them change the direction of their camera. Teachers would certainly question you if you were standing outside a playground watching kids during recess.
laundrymom 10:14 AM 04-19-2016
Google
PVC privacy screen.

Make it however big it needs to be.
Use rebar drove into the ground to anchor and guide wires if needed. Think :: big square sail.
:-)
Unregistered 10:34 AM 04-19-2016
I'm confused.
Is there a fence or no fence?
Rockgirl 10:42 AM 04-19-2016
I'd go with the privacy fence--a tall one.
Unregistered 12:02 PM 04-19-2016
Yes there is a fence chain link around my yard.
laundrymom 12:17 PM 04-19-2016
If you've already got a fence and are just wanting to keep peeping eyes out, either go get a panel to attach to your exhisting fence to block the cameras view or place a screen, umbrella, something like that in front of it.
I'd go for a pvc frame and a colorful sheet. But it could be as simple as a big board or properly placed ladder covered w a painters tarp.
Blackcat31 12:19 PM 04-19-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
If you've already got a fence and are just wanting to keep peeping eyes out, either go get a panel to attach to your exhisting fence to block the cameras view or place a screen, umbrella, something like that in front of it.
I'd go for a pvc frame and a colorful sheet. But it could be as simple as a big board or properly placed ladder covered w a painters tarp.
Sadly most city's have ordinances that specify how tall a structure and/or fence can be.

A properly placed ladder could be a licensing violation.
laundrymom 12:29 PM 04-19-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Sadly most city's have ordinances that specify how tall a structure and/or fence can be.

A properly placed ladder could be a licensing violation.
Hadn't thought of the violation part. We use them as part of our outdoor classroom and licensing hasn't said anything here. I guess if push came to shove, I'd sink a couple 4x4s and make a clothesline. Lol. Hang out big blankets.
Michael 12:43 PM 04-19-2016
Time to put a tree on that side of your property.
Ariana 02:29 PM 04-19-2016
I would definitely be talking to them and voicing my concerns about it. Do you know them at all? What kind of people are they? I am fairly friendly with my neighbours so that is something I would do but not everyone feels that comfortable with their neighbours.

I am having a really hard time understanding WHY they would do this! If you think the sole purpose is to spy on you I just don't get why that is happening. Was there an incident on their property or something? Like a kid throwing a ball etc?
Unregistered 06:17 PM 04-19-2016
Don't you watch spy movies? A can of black spray paint could sure come in handy
Josiegirl 02:11 AM 04-20-2016
Haha I like that solution! Or you could get your own camera and point one their way. See how long it takes to get the hint.
Cat Herder 06:53 AM 04-20-2016
I probably used the wrong word for "tennis netting".

I was referring to the privacy screens that zip tie in place with metal grommets intended for use with chain link fences. They were always on our tennis courts growing up.

They sell for under $100 on amazon. The kids love to color on it with chalk. It will actually give you QRIS points for "art" and "no easy footing" for climbing.
Attached: fence netting.jpg (55.4 KB) 
Mike 08:25 AM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Haha I like that solution! Or you could get your own camera and point one their way. See how long it takes to get the hint.
That's my favorite solution. It doesn't even have to be real. You can buy very real looking fakes for $10.
daycarediva 11:00 AM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I would also talk to the neighbours about it and make up a little white lie that parents are concerned about it. Other than that I wouldn't let it bother me. The neighbour could just as easily be sitting and staring out their window so to me I wouldn't care. I feel like if they are normal people this is just an innocent situation where it seems like the camera is focused on your property but it isn't.
I would attempt to speak to them first. "Parents have raised concerns about their child's privacy. I would really appreciate it if you could point your security camera in the opposite direction..."

It would put them on the spot, for sure!

Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Hadn't thought of the violation part. We use them as part of our outdoor classroom and licensing hasn't said anything here. I guess if push came to shove, I'd sink a couple 4x4s and make a clothesline. Lol. Hang out big blankets.
If they refuse to move it, I would do this! It's a non obvious, innocent fix!

too bad it would be obvious who did it!
284878 08:04 PM 04-20-2016
Or you could hold batting practice in the back yard.

Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I probably used the wrong word for "tennis netting".

I was referring to the privacy screens that zip tie in place with metal grommets intended for use with chain link fences. They were always on our tennis courts growing up.

They sell for under $100 on amazon. The kids love to color on it with chalk. It will actually give you QRIS points for "art" and "no easy footing" for climbing.
Lol I was picturing the net in the middle of the court. I thought why would she use that, there holes in it.
Tags:children's privacy, recording, surveillance cameras, video cameras
Reply Up