Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What's Your Limit?
logged out 07:33 PM 06-09-2011
On how many children you'll care for at one time by yourself? I personally feel uncomfortable caring for 9-10 children ages 2-7 yrs. Is that bad? Should I be able to take care of that many children without it bothering me? Once a week this summer I'm going to have that many children all day without any help, and am feeling a little overwhelmed at the idea. (It wasn't my decision, was just kinda told what I was going to be doing). It IS within ratio (10:1 is the maximum ratio), so it's not illegal, but I do think it's a lot to do for one person trying to care for them, assist in the restroom, fix meals and snacks, keep the "bored" school agers busy, etc etc etc with only one pair of eyes and hands. The exact age groups I will have alone are five or six 2-4 yr olds and four 7-8 yr olds. Should I be okay with that? Maybe I just need to get used to it....?
Cat Herder 07:42 PM 06-09-2011
I would not do it, but it would be against regs here.

WHY are you being forced? Do you work for someone else or is this your daycare?
PitterPatter 07:53 PM 06-09-2011
I would not do anything I felt uncomfortable doing. I have had my limit in care (6) and been great with it. But another time I have had 3 in care and it was a nightmare. It depends on the children, the parents, and the personalities of each. Now I have 3 and I am fed up with 1 family so it's finally bye bye to them.

I hope u can manage a way to work so that u feel more comfortable. Good luck to u!
youretooloud 07:56 PM 06-09-2011
I feel very comfortable with 8. Over 8 is kinda hard.

Under 4 is horrible. I'm so tired on the low count days. I think I'd rather have 12 kids than three kids.

6 is my favorite.
laundrymom 08:21 PM 06-09-2011
I don't think there is a " magic number". If you don't feel comfy, you should not have to do it. I personally have 10 plus my own every single day. Birth to 4. My girls are 10&13. But that's just me.
nannyde 03:17 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I feel very comfortable with 8. Over 8 is kinda hard.

Under 4 is horrible. I'm so tired on the low count days. I think I'd rather have 12 kids than three kids.

6 is my favorite.
By myself I can have eight comfortably. Over eight is too much. With a good staff assistant we can run eleven/twelve.
Rachel 04:01 AM 06-10-2011
Here official ration is 5:1, but they will give you a 6th for certain speicific reasons. Private people take 6 - 8, one or 2 take 10 - 12 (w/o an assistant).
Kaddidle Care 04:03 AM 06-10-2011
I'd say about 7 but it totally depends on the day. Lately it's the end of the school year crazies and I'll top off at 4!

Yesterday was the day from.. you-know-where. If I didn't have an assistant with me I'd be bald!
Maddy'sMommy 04:24 AM 06-10-2011
I am allowed 5 children under 10, plus my own child. I haven't started yet, but I think I am going to have 3 kids plus my baby. I'll see how that goes before enrolling anyone else.
lil angels 04:47 AM 06-10-2011
I am allowed 12 by myself. I have done it before but was very busy. You have to be a god to a schedule to keep things running well. I have about 8 normally now and don't mind it. You will have a hard time getting used to it if it is only one day a week. Just take it minute by minute and have things planned ahead of time or you will have a very long day. It is doable hang in there. Now I normally have 7 or eight and like that.
Meeko 06:06 AM 06-10-2011
I'm licensed for 16 (four babies) but have an assistant. I can only legally tend 8 by myself (with only two babies under 2 years)
TBird 09:33 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I'm licensed for 16 (four babies) but have an assistant. I can only legally tend 8 by myself (with only two babies under 2 years)
Me too...8 by myself and that's comfortable for me. I'm gonna go group soon though so me and an assistant can rock it out though!!!
newtodaycare22 09:50 AM 06-10-2011
I can have 8 kids, two under the age of 2. I only take ages 3-5 and my personal (regular, full time) max is 6. As someone else said, I've had 7 before and it was ok because of the combo of kids. Some days I've had 4 and gone nuts though.
MN Day Mom 10:36 AM 06-10-2011
Depending on my Infant/Toddler enrollment I can have 1-12 kids by myself. Currently I am running at 8, that said in the past my numbers mostly ran at 10 to 12 full timers. Sometimes more is easier for me
momma2girls 10:45 AM 06-10-2011
I can have 5 children, but I usually always run 3-4 children. It is nice to only have this many.
Tags:provider - burnout risk, provider - stressed out, ratio, supervision - inadequate
Reply Up