Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Early Signs of Autism? Need Some Advices! Please!
Unregistered 09:47 AM 11-01-2016
We have a 2.5 years old boy, who has being with us since July. We notice he was a bit off but assumed he was getting used to us and the routine but I also felt like something was wrong.

But now 4 months later, I do not see improvements in what worried me.

-He rarely makes eye contact
-Would sit during circle time but won't not pay attention to the rest of the group, won't sing or clap his hands unless asked.
-Walks around the childcare away from the group, without a toy or without seeking attention
And most recently when he had a running nose, his face was covered in mucus and he didn't care a bit (we sent him home and were waiting for his mother). All the other children wipe their own nose (about the same age).

Is it possible he is just a little behind? And how would you address this matter?
Blackcat31 10:12 AM 11-01-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
We have a 2.5 years old boy, who has being with us since July. We notice he was a bit off but assumed he was getting used to us and the routine but I also felt like something was wrong.

But now 4 months later, I do not see improvements in what worried me.

-He rarely makes eye contact
-Would sit during circle time but won't not pay attention to the rest of the group, won't sing or clap his hands unless asked.
-Walks around the childcare away from the group, without a toy or without seeking attention
And most recently when he had a running nose, his face was covered in mucus and he didn't care a bit (we sent him home and were waiting for his mother). All the other children wipe their own nose (about the same age).

Is it possible he is just a little behind? And how would you address this matter?
I wouldn't worry about whether it is or isn't autism and instead focus on the developmental milestones he isn't meeting.

Relay THAT info to the parents and suggest the child be evaluated by a professional. They can determine if it's autism or something else.
Cat Herder 10:44 AM 11-01-2016
Here is a free published ASQ form to print.

http://www.ashevillepediatrics.com/w...24_months1.pdf
Tags:asq
Reply Up