Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm So Mad At Myself!!
Lilbutterflie 03:10 PM 10-05-2011
Because I let something in my contract slide and now the other infant in my care is sick because of it.

Two weeks ago Friday, my 10 mo dcb had diarrhea. It was just one episode, and no fever or any other symptoms. His mom told me they had just bought a generic form of his formula and that must have been the cause. He came back Monday after having been back on his normal formula for two days and had 4 episodes of diarrhea. Again, no fever or other symptoms. Mom said the generic formula must've still been in his system. I let him stay and come back; thinking eventually it would go away. DCM hasn't exactly been great about his diet to correct his diarrhea. At my daycare, parents supply their food up until 1 yr old; and she's been sending all sorts of food that's not great for kids with diarrhea. So, I kept letting him come back b/c I thought his little tummy had just been upset for switching formulas and then aggravated with all of the normal foods she has been feeding him. Finally today, the 12th day of diarrhea, I pushed her to get him a Dr appt. Her Dr keeps telling her they can't do anything about it since he has no other symptoms. They say he can come to them if he still has diarrhea over 2 weeks. She pushed them and made an appt for him for tomorrow.

Well, now my 3 mo dcg has BAD diarrhea. And she's fussy. No fever though. UGH. I am so mad at myself! I should have stuck to my contract (which says they can't come back until diarrhea free for 24 hrs). I really didn't think he had an infection b/c there was no fever. But if I had stuck to my contract, I may have jeopardized my relationship with 10 mo dcm b/c she would have been without a daycare provider for 2 weeks. Darned if you, darned if you don't.

Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this diarrhea illness with no fever???
Michael 03:46 PM 10-05-2011
Not to scare you but E.Coli is one that does not show fever but usually has bloody diarrhea. I would take your daughter to her doctor to be on the safe side just because you seem to indicate it is contagious. Let us know what the doc says.

http://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesfor.../ucm103263.htm
godiva83 03:48 PM 10-05-2011
This is what is happening to me!!!
I ended up sending DCB home last week for 3 bouts of diarrhea and DCM said it was just because he was teething - I pulled out my handbook to the hi-lighted sick policy and re-read her my diarrhea policy so he stayed home the next day and DCM said she went to the doctor and doctor said he was lactose with teething(?) so I trusted her and said he could come back if Doctor cleared it!!! BIG mistake! Now 2 have it and it is lasting forever lesson learned this DCM will now need written proof from Doctor and I will stick to my guts
Lilbutterflie 05:39 AM 10-06-2011
In this case, DCM informed his doctor of the diarrhea from the start and said he shouldn't come see him unless there was another symptom (such as vomiting or a fever). He said he would only see him if it lasted 2 or more WEEKS. That's a LOOOONG time for a little baby to have diarrhea! Anyway, if I had asked for a Dr's note to send him back to daycare he would have gladly sent it. He told DCM he was fine to be at daycare.

Michael, there has not been any blood in his stool, trust me I have been on the lookout! Just plain old diarrhea for two full weeks. He's going to the Dr. today, although Dr. still didn't want to make the appt for him. Says he is fine unless there are other symptoms. He needs a new Dr. IMO!

The girl who just got it yesterday is my daycare girl, she is only 3 months old. Her stool yesterday was literally like colored water, poor thing. I am hoping hers was a fluke and unrelated; and that his diarrhea is caused by something in his diet. We shall see!

But looking back, if I had excluded him; it would be for two full weeks! If I was his parent, I would have been slightly perturbed at my daycare provider since this has been his only symptom.
Tags:contagious, diarrhea, diarrhea policy, sick policy
Reply Up