Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-13-2014, 05:21 AM
Shell's Avatar
Shell Shell is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,743
Default Too Many Babies

I had an open spot, and a dcm gave me a referral for a PT new baby that would be looking to start this summer.
The problem is:
1. they need me to open 30 mins before my opening time (I'm not a morning person),
2. I just got two babies through the infant stage, and I am not looking forward to another infant in the summer time (naps, finding lots of shade outside, etc).
3. Part time infant (say no more)

The family chose me, I said I would save the spot, because it was the only call I've gotten in a long time. I don't require a holding fee- so it's kind of like it's my word that I will keep the spot. Last email, I tell the expecting mom to get in touch with me in the next few months to finalize details. No word from her for 1.5 months so far, despite me sending one congratulating them on baby. I only have mom's work email (she's now on maternity).

Meanwhile, an existing FT dc family gives me notice that they are moving this summer, and don't know exactly when. Now, I need to fill the PT spot.

Same dcm with the referral above sends me an older infant for an interview. FT, want to start next month. And, I think I want to take them, but I can't take the PT baby from above due to ratios (only 3 under age 2 in my state).

How do I do this without being totally unprofessional? I know full time trumps part time. Do I give the part time family the option of going full time, do I assume not interested since they haven't responded? Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-13-2014, 05:48 AM
Margarete's Avatar
Margarete Margarete is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 289
Default

No word in 1.5 months, No start date, No contracts. I did this, and they winded up deciding to have one parent stay home with the baby. I would try to get another contact email for them from the dcm that referred them (if not just send it to the work email, the only contact information you have) and let them know you need a start date, contracts signed (with the rate you are willing to do for part time, or full time), and a solid commitment, including perhaps a non-refundable deposit that goes to the first week or two of care (not the same as a holding fee) to continue to hold the spot. Give her a specific time frame to respond, complete paperwork put down a deposit... and if no response by that time you are free to enroll the other family. You could skip the step of trying to find a different email and just send it to the work email if you want, it's not your fault she didn't give you a better way to contact her.
... When did you send the email asking her to get in touch with you "in the next couple of months to finalize details"?

The reason this is tricky is because of both of them being referred to you from the same DCM. It's great shes giving you referrals!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-13-2014, 05:51 AM
llpa's Avatar
llpa llpa is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 460
Default

I wouldn't assume they (pt dcb) aren't interested, since you gave them a several month period to get in touch. Out of courtesy, I would call/email pt mom and tell her you have the opportunity to take a ft child and you need to do that, but are offering her the opp to take a ft position. If she passes, then you will be taking the ft child and won't be able to watch her child. I would also give her a time limit of a few days to respond so you aren't waiting too long to contact the ft family.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-13-2014, 05:54 AM
KidGrind's Avatar
KidGrind KidGrind is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Red, White & Blue
Posts: 1,108
Default

The only issue I perceive is you told them to get back with you in a few months. 1.5 months is not a few months. So they seem to be following your instructions.

I would call them. Give them the option to go full-time and start paying a holding fee. If you cannot get in contact with them, Id shoot an e-mail to them. Id give them 48 hours to get back to me. No word from them Id take the FT infant.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-13-2014, 06:19 AM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llpa View Post
I wouldn't assume they (pt dcb) aren't interested, since you gave them a several month period to get in touch. Out of courtesy, I would call/email pt mom and tell her you have the opportunity to take a ft child and you need to do that, but are offering her the opp to take a ft position. If she passes, then you will be taking the ft child and won't be able to watch her child. I would also give her a time limit of a few days to respond so you aren't waiting too long to contact the ft family.
Absolutely. A situation arose and you MUST enroll a full-time child now.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-13-2014, 06:41 AM
Shell's Avatar
Shell Shell is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margarete View Post
No word in 1.5 months, No start date, No contracts. I did this, and they winded up deciding to have one parent stay home with the baby. I would try to get another contact email for them from the dcm that referred them (if not just send it to the work email, the only contact information you have) and let them know you need a start date, contracts signed (with the rate you are willing to do for part time, or full time), and a solid commitment, including perhaps a non-refundable deposit that goes to the first week or two of care (not the same as a holding fee) to continue to hold the spot. Give her a specific time frame to respond, complete paperwork put down a deposit... and if no response by that time you are free to enroll the other family. You could skip the step of trying to find a different email and just send it to the work email if you want, it's not your fault she didn't give you a better way to contact her.
... When did you send the email asking her to get in touch with you "in the next couple of months to finalize details"?

The reason this is tricky is because of both of them being referred to you from the same DCM. It's great shes giving you referrals!
Yeah, the referral dcm is awesome, and I don't want to put her in an awkward spot. The PT dcm is supposed to get back to me in mid-March, but it made me nervous when she didn't respond to the congratulations email I sent on 3/1. They have tons of family in the area, so I am thinking they might figure out daycare on their own? I know it's kind of soon to assume they aren't interested, maybe wishful thinking?!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-13-2014, 06:44 AM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle View Post
Yeah, the referral dcm is awesome, and I don't want to put her in an awkward spot. The PT dcm is supposed to get back to me in mid-March, but it made me nervous when she didn't respond to the congratulations email I sent on 3/1. They have tons of family in the area, so I am thinking they might figure out daycare on their own? I know it's kind of soon to assume they aren't interested, maybe wishful thinking?!
I have seen many Moms who say they will go back to work after baby but then baby comes and their minds change ...
Either they become SAHMs or they have a family member watch the child. I think it is common enough that it isn't just wishful thinking on your part. I WOULD contact her being that it is mid-March.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle View Post
Yeah, the referral dcm is awesome, and I don't want to put her in an awkward spot. The PT dcm is supposed to get back to me in mid-March, but it made me nervous when she didn't respond to the congratulations email I sent on 3/1. They have tons of family in the area, so I am thinking they might figure out daycare on their own? I know it's kind of soon to assume they aren't interested, maybe wishful thinking?!
Either way, even if the PT mom had gotten back to you, you are now wanting (or needing) to enroll the FT family that just came along?

If that is the case, what I would do is either offer the PT mom the option of coming or paying a FT space OR I would let her know that you have unfortunately had something come up that does not allow you to offer her the space anymore. (If you need a hand in writing a letter letting her know, PM me and I'll gladly help you out.)

The fact that they want you to be open earlier than your normal time is enough for me to want to say "pass" and take the PT.

Infant space is HARD to come by here so I only charge one flat rate for anyone under age 15 months. Full or part time....same rate and I would never consider opening or closing outside my normal hours....too long of a day..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-13-2014, 09:58 AM
TaylorTots's Avatar
TaylorTots TaylorTots is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 613
Default

You only have email... could you ask the referral parent for the other parent's phone number? Phone would be better on this one since she may not have access to her work email while on maternity.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ethics, filling enrollment, filling spots

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How To Get Babies To Sleep At Daycare LeslieG Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 24 10-09-2015 02:17 PM
Babies Or No Babies... Favorites? lflick Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 18 08-12-2013 08:23 PM
For Those of You With Babies... tenderhearts Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 08-04-2010 11:57 PM
Babies, Babies, Babies Francine Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 05-15-2010 04:13 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:37 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming