Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-24-2018, 09:04 AM
happymom happymom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,813
Default Help Me Help My Little One

School started 3 days ago for us. I have a first grader and a little son who is turning 3 in October.

I drop my oldest off at his elementary school and then drop my youngest off at daycare before heading to work each morning.

We say goodbye to big brother in the drop off line, and then he spends the rest of the time in the car telling me that he's big and he wants to go to school with his brother. When we pull up to the daycare center he loses his mind. "NOT THIS SCHOOL! I DON'T WANT TO GO TO THIS SCHOOL". He will say the name of the daycare center and makes a little scene.

Drop off was never an issue when both boys went to the daycare center. Now that school's started, it's been really really hard.

The only thing that has changed is now we have two drop offs in the morning and we drop off big brother first. Once he's dropped off, he's fine, but he is so mad that I am leaving him there. I had problems with drop offs when my oldest son was around this age....so it could just be a phase.

Just wondering if you have any advice for me=) thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-24-2018, 09:46 AM
storybookending's Avatar
storybookending storybookending is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,495
Default

The change in routine is probably just wigging him out a bit alongside missing brother and the sense of security he has in knowing that brother is close by. It will probably pass on itís own in a week or two. If it doesnít is there a way he could be dropped off first?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-24-2018, 10:44 AM
happymom happymom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storybookending View Post
The change in routine is probably just wigging him out a bit alongside missing brother and the sense of security he has in knowing that brother is close by. It will probably pass on itís own in a week or two. If it doesnít is there a way he could be dropped off first?
I could drop him off first. Then I'd have to go through the elementary school traffic twice and backtrack/leave earlier.

I feel sad for him. He just insists he's big enough for kindergarten Yesterday his teacher had to hold him while so that I could leave. Today I was able to sneak out but he was really upset.

I don't stick around to make sure he's alright. I feel guilty but I know it's not the best thing, cause I don't want him to put on a show for me.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-24-2018, 09:46 PM
storybookending's Avatar
storybookending storybookending is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom View Post
I could drop him off first. Then I'd have to go through the elementary school traffic twice and backtrack/leave earlier.

I feel sad for him. He just insists he's big enough for kindergarten Yesterday his teacher had to hold him while so that I could leave. Today I was able to sneak out but he was really upset.

I don't stick around to make sure he's alright. I feel guilty but I know it's not the best thing, cause I don't want him to put on a show for me.
As hard as it is to leave him like that it really is better for him in the long run and I am glad you realize that! I hope this passes for him quickly! I have a sib set where one will be attending morning 4K starting after Labor Day. I’m already worried little brother might start acting like this at drop off as he will be missing her. She was out sick two days last week and it was rough for him as they had her in the car to take to grandmas house and he wanted to be with her. I am hoping they drop her off first but we’ll see.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-25-2018, 03:31 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storybookending View Post
As hard as it is to leave him like that it really is better for him in the long run and I am glad you realize that! I hope this passes for him quickly! I have a sib set where one will be attending morning 4K starting after Labor Day. I’m already worried little brother might start acting like this at drop off as he will be missing her. She was out sick two days last week and it was rough for him as they had her in the car to take to grandmas house and he wanted to be with her. I am hoping they drop her off first but we’ll see.
I'm in the same boat; a big sis will be starting K soon and little sis has been stuck to her like glue all summer long. Plus the dck group will be different than it was last year when this happened so it's going to be an adjustment. I'll try to have something cool planned when she comes in first thing, so hopefully it won't be that tough on her.

Happymom, how is your ds the rest of the day? Is it just the transition first thing in the morning? If so, that will pass quickly as he gets used to the new routine. Can you give him something personal to hold onto, such as a picture of his family? Ask him to draw a picture for big brother while he's at dc? Tell him when you pick them all up at the end of the day, you can all 'insert their fav activity here' together.
It's heart-tugging watching our kids go through this but he will get through it and so will you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
3 year old, age appropriate - curriculum, own child, separation anxiety

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:16 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming