Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Think I Should Of Talked To Daycare Parents First?
Mrs.Ky 05:19 AM 02-06-2011
We have been thinkig about gettig a Puppy for a few years now and we went and saw a Maltipoo Pup yesterday and I fell in love we put a depoist on her and she will be ready to come home March 5th. Well I was talking to my Sister who is a Daycare Parent at a center and she asked if I asked the parents I told her no its my home why would I ask them I dont need premisson from them she said I should of least talked to them about it first. Well I posted it all over facebook and one of my parents is all excited about it saying the kids will love the pup and enjoy playing with it the other parent hasnt said one word about the pics, the pup, etc. I dont know if she is either mad about it or doesnt care she is on my fb also. The Pup doesnt come home for a month when she will be 8 weeks old so they can decided if they wanna stay at my daycare or go but the Pup wont be going if they have a problem with it. Im gonna attach a pic of our new pup below I wanna show her off hehe.
Attached: Our Maltipoo puppy at 5 weeks.jpg (32.3 KB) 
Little People 06:03 AM 02-06-2011
Your puppy is sooo cute. And as far as asking your parents, I would not ask them. I agree it is your house and if everytime you wanted to do something in YOUR HOUSE if you started asking your DCP, then I think they will start running your home and daycare. I would never ask my daycare parents anything I am doing at my own home. Now, if one of your DCP had on there enrollement forms that their child had fears or allergies then this would be a different. If they don't then I say get ready for you new puppy and enjoy!!
Unregistered 06:12 AM 02-06-2011
No, I don't think you need to tell your D/C parents about the dog. It is your home, your personal life and your personal business. If they don't like it, let them find another daycare provider. The parents should not be telling us how to live our lives,no one has the right to tell you that you can't get a dog and if they do,that is not right nor fair. It seems we let daycare parents walk all over us,if they don't the like it,then they can go elsewhere. Yes, we take care of their kids, but that does not give them the right to tell us how to live or what we can do.
I hope you enjoy your new pet and that it wil bring you love and joy i your life!
Danielle 06:17 AM 02-06-2011
Awww she's sooo cute! I think you're fine. We've added a puppy and 2 rats since I started doing daycare. Never did I ask the parents first. I always got the comments about how much their kids will love the new pet.
Former Teacher 06:23 AM 02-06-2011
Originally Posted by Mrs.Ky:
We have been thinkig about gettig a Puppy for a few years now and we went and saw a Maltipoo Pup yesterday and I fell in love we put a depoist on her and she will be ready to come home March 5th. Well I was talking to my Sister who is a Daycare Parent at a center and she asked if I asked the parents I told her no its my home why would I ask them I dont need premisson from them she said I should of least talked to them about it first. Well I posted it all over facebook and one of my parents is all excited about it saying the kids will love the pup and enjoy playing with it the other parent hasnt said one word about the pics, the pup, etc. I dont know if she is either mad about it or doesnt care she is on my fb also. The Pup doesnt come home for a month when she will be 8 weeks old But so they can decided if they wanna stay at my daycare or go but the Pup wont be going if they have a problem with it. Im gonna attach a pic of our new pup below I wanna show her off hehe.
First and foremost, I think the new baby is a cutie patootie!

However IMO I think yes you should let the parents know about the new addition. Maybe because I would like to know what's going on in my providers environment. I dont know.

That being said: I also agree to tell the parents that the puppy stays regardless.
kendallina 06:33 AM 02-06-2011
Cute puppy! How exciting!

I think it's courteous to inform families of a puppy before he comes home. But, obviously, I don't think you need to ask permission or anything. And, if someone has a problem with it, be clear that the puppy is staying.

Congrats on your new addition!
AnythingsPossible 06:41 AM 02-06-2011
We got a maltese mix puppy last May and I didn't ask any of the parents before hand. Though we do already have one dog. I talked about it with the kids, and a few parents noticed when I brought the puppy kennel in and we talked about it then. You most certainly don't need their permission, but maybe you could post a note by the door with the puppies picture with a cute little note about the puppy.
Word of advice, keep your eye on the kiddos around the puppy!! The little ones don't get the concept of being gentle with such small puppies. Little dogs are not as patient with small children as bigger dogs are. Where she is being brought up with the kids, it may not be an issue though. My little pup isn't a huge fan of the dck's. She plays with them sometimes and likes to nap with them, but most of the time, she hides by me!
This is a picture of her last May....
Attached: april may 2010 062.jpg (169.6 KB) 
MG&Lsmom 08:10 AM 02-06-2011
We are part of a weekend puppy raiser program for an assistance dog training facility. We didn't get too much notice of being matched with a puppy so my families got a very short, like 2 day notice, that there would be a puppy here on Friday afternoons for a couple of hours and once a month all day on a Monday. But I just let them know it was happening and they were mostly fine with it once we established the ground rules.

We're having such a good time with this pup that we might consider getting a puppy in a year when our commitment is over. Well, more than a year cuz housetraining a dog in the winter with 5' of snow on the ground is not fun!
lvt77 09:15 AM 02-06-2011
I would not have asked, I would tell them met the newest member of our family. we have a cat, but she lives in the garage in a cat palace. She is NOT part of the daycare and is not allowed in the DC for any reason.

I think as long as you dont make a big deal out of it and play it safe by not including the dog into your DC you will be fine...

Honestly, I do not like dogs at all, only becusae I was attacked as a child.It screams liability to me..... I would be hesitant to send my chlild to a DC where there is a pet that is included in the DC. If it was seperate from where my child was and my child would not have acess to it, then I would probably be ok with it. I think a lot of it would have to do with the breed of dog that you have. and I would consider yours ok for a famiy daycare....very cute puppy.
laundrymom 10:34 AM 02-06-2011
I would (have actually) told them about it, gave them notice to find alternate care, and enjoyed my puppy love.
Abigail 10:45 AM 02-06-2011
I would mention the new addition to your families. They should be told because they might feel like will need to ask you specifically about every little thing if you can't just tell them you will have a new puppy in the house. It obviously isn't a fast trip by the pet store by accident and home it came. LOL. Tell the parents and make a little "welcome "puppy name here" board with a few pictures and basic information and "date of arrival to new home" with the date your daycare kids will meet him. You should also try to plan special activities about puppies and baby animals for your theme.
jen 12:12 PM 02-06-2011
I wouldn't have asked...in my opinion, you should ONLY ask if their answer will sway your decision. If the daycare parent was uncomfortable are you willing do skip the dog? If not, I wouldn't bother to discuss it with them, it will give them a sense that they have some power to veto your decision and when you don't do that, they will be more irritated than they might have been to begin with. Instead, I would send out an annoucement like this:

We want to welcome a new member of our family! Roofus will be coming home on March xx, 2011! She'll be eight weeks old. We did a great deal of research before deciding on what breed of dog would be best suited to our family and to our daycare. Malti-poos are fabulous family dogs. They have a wonderful disposition, they don't shed, and are great with kids. For more information on malti-poos please check out this website.....

In order to keep puppy and children safe we intend on doing the following:

Puppies chew! Until puppy is past the chewing stage she will not be joing us in daycare unless I am directly supervising the childrens interactions with puppy.

Puppy will attend puppy kindergarten and we plan on having a theme week at daycare surrounding appropriate puppy care and handling.

And, of course, puppy will be fully vacinated.

Thank you for joinging us in welcoming our new family member!
Lilbutterflie 01:00 PM 02-06-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
I wouldn't have asked...in my opinion, you should ONLY ask if their answer will sway your decision. If the daycare parent was uncomfortable are you willing do skip the dog? If not, I wouldn't bother to discuss it with them, it will give them a sense that they have some power to veto your decision and when you don't do that, they will be more irritated than they might have been to begin with. Instead, I would send out an annoucement like this:

We want to welcome a new member of our family! Roofus will be coming home on March xx, 2011! She'll be eight weeks old. We did a great deal of research before deciding on what breed of dog would be best suited to our family and to our daycare. Malti-poos are fabulous family dogs. They have a wonderful disposition, they don't shed, and are great with kids. For more information on malti-poos please check out this website.....

Puppies chew! Until puppy is past the chewing stage she will not be joing us in daycare unless I am directly supervising the childrens interactions with puppy.

Puppy will attend puppy kindergarten and we plan on having a theme week at daycare surrounding appropriate puppy care and handling.

I completely agree with this. You don't need to ASK them... it's your home. But I do feel they need to know about it, and have adequate time to find alternate care if they don't like it. But who wouldn't love a face like that! Too cute!
QualiTcare 01:20 PM 02-06-2011
how cuuute!

yup, i don't think you should've ASKED, but you should let them know in enough time to be able to find other care if they aren't comfortable with it. maltipoos are so tiny, i can't really imagine anyone having a problem with it, but you never know. maybe a parent has an allergy and never mentioned it bc they knew you didn't have a pet so it never mattered.
WImom 01:23 PM 02-06-2011
I would not have asked but I would let them know about it just incase one of their children has an allergy. I know here in WI when we are licensed we have to tell the parents if a pet comes into the home.

Cute puppy!!
jen 02:46 PM 02-06-2011
I almost forgot...CUTE, CUTE, CUTE! I love Malits!
e.j. 03:17 PM 02-06-2011
I don't think you need to ask permission from the day care parents but I do think telling them about the dog beforehand is the courteous thing to do. Telling them now gives them time to find alternative day care if they prefer a pet-free environment for their child. The dog is awfully cute, though!
Mrs.Ky 04:00 PM 02-06-2011
Originally Posted by jen:

This is GREAT thanks. I will be writing them an email this week even thou they all know from FB about the dog but I do wanna write some of the things you suggested and more this is a great idea.
Tags:pets in daycare
Reply Up