Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Activity Boxes
itlw8 12:17 PM 02-07-2012
well mine are actually drawers in this really great cabinet but the idea is the same

Several years ago a friend Had a grea t Idea. At the end on the month she gathered everything they had use for the month. Books, songs, craft ideas. She put it in a box so the next year when she say wanted to do Fall and Halloween it was all together.

I took mine a step further. I looked at my books and materials and started making theme boxes. Then as I find something I add it to the box. Some started out at a big idea and then got seperated into smaller themes.

I made spring but now it is bugs, garden, Easter and baby animals

These boxes save loads of time in planning and give everything a home.
Kim 08:22 AM 02-13-2012
I just finished doing this- thanks to your suggestion in another thread !

I sorted mine by month so each month I pull out a tub and all the themes are in that month's tub. I put all the resources for each theme in there- books, games, puppets, etc.

I have ten tubs total- one for each month September through May and one tub for summer.

countrymom 06:34 PM 02-14-2012
what a great idea, I have no idea where I would put them all
boysx5 07:21 AM 02-15-2012
Love this idea going to work on it this weekend I love this site
athomemommy 11:20 AM 02-15-2012
want to post your themes?
Kim 11:04 AM 02-16-2012
These are the main themes I cover. I add and change a bit sometimes depending on the kids I have in care- ages, interests, etc.

September
All About Me
Five Senses
All About Apples
Down on the Farm

October
Fire Safety
Welcome Fall
Stranger Danger
Halloween & Pumpkins

November
Community Helpers
Harvest
Family/Thanksgiving

December
Winter
Christmas Around the World
Christmas At Home

January
Happy New Year
Winter Weather
Animals in Winter
Healthy Habits

February
Nursery Rhymes/Fairy Tales
Valentine’s Day
Eric Carle

March
Dr. Suess
St. Patty’s Day/Rainbows
Transportation and Construction

April
Earth Day
Spring
Easter
Bugs & Butterflies

May
Mother’s Day
Zoo
Dinosaurs
Space

Summer- June to August
Father’s Day
Summer
Under the Sea/Ocean
Happy 4th of July
Camping
Teddy Bear Picnic
Heidi 11:11 AM 02-16-2012
uuuuuu I am so stealing some of these ideas!
melissa ann 06:27 PM 02-16-2012
Love, love your activity boxes. I will definitely be doing this. What a great idea. Just need to get some boxes/tubs.
AgnerWagner 07:15 AM 04-18-2012
Thanks for the response, Jim. My adventures in the Activity Editor are limited but I learn a little bit each time. Ill give it a try and see what happens. At least it isnt something I did or didnt do and it is something that can be remedied.

Doug
cmama425 11:20 AM 05-16-2012
You can also (at least where I live) go to your local library and get leap kits that are boxes filled with theme related books, props, etc.
I started making my own cuz the library was always out of them but I took it a step further and started keeping craft supplies and projects in there also so that everything was always ready!
Tags:activity boxes, boxes
Reply Up