Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Must Be On The Naughty List =\
Daycarelady1979 06:44 PM 12-21-2012
For the first time EVER in 9 years of business, I got NOTHING from my daycare parents for Christmas. Not a card, not a family picture, not a gift, no baked goods...nothing. I'm completely blown away. I sent the kids home with gifts I bought them, which I feel I put a lot of time, effort & money into, and I never even got a thank you. I got them a TON of stuff. No thank you's at all. I feel like a failure...I have never felt so unappreciated in my life. Ugh. =[
lovemykidstoo 06:50 PM 12-21-2012
I am so very sorry. I cannot imagine how that must feel. Is this a new group of parents that you have? Have you had problems with any of them? That is so wrong. Like I said in another thread, even a card with a heartfelt message inside would be enough. I'm so sorry, hugs to you!
Kaddidle Care 06:54 PM 12-21-2012
Wow! Try not to expect.. but Christmas is still 4 days away. Crossing fingers that you'll be happily surprized.
Daycarelady1979 06:54 PM 12-21-2012
It's 2 families and they've both been full time here since early in the Fall...
I have done EVERYTHING to accommodate these people.
My feelings are so hurt.
momofboys 06:55 PM 12-21-2012
Me too! I know it is hard - I am a little down about it but trying not to be bitter. Who doesn't give their childcare provider a gift or at least a nice card?? I am disappointed. . Know you are doing a great job even if parents did nothing to acknowledge you. I am hoping your dcp went home tonight and thought wow, after all these nice things miss perfect provider did maybe we should gave reciprocated. If u r like me I am guessing you would have just appreciated a well thought out note. That's all I wad hoping for.
Daycarelady1979 06:57 PM 12-21-2012
Wednesday was 1 kid's last day, she will be back Jan. 2. No gift. No thank you.
Tonight was the other one's last night until Dec. 26. No gift. No nothing.
SilverSabre25 06:59 PM 12-21-2012
I dunno, it might be the economy. The main thing I got for Christmas from my dcfs was a slightly embarrassed and uncomfortable, "You didn't need to get my kids anything!" (okay, the other dcf was appreciative and

Sorry, dcm...I do it every year! It's Christmas....you give people presents...it's what we do...
Daycarelady1979 07:01 PM 12-21-2012
It makes me question, am I doing something wrong? Do they not like me? Should I just give up? I do everything for these kids!! I love them all very much. All I really wanted was a Thank You for the mass amount of gifts I sent home with them. I really thought the parents would be thrilled. Turns out they don't care at all...
WoodOx 07:02 PM 12-21-2012
Thats sad, no thank you's from the gifts you gave themwhats wrong with these parents,don't they know how to teach their kids to say thank you. At least they know you gave them the gifts. I can't tell you how many times parents have gotten the credit from the gifts i give their kids they think mommy and daddy got it for them, soo mean.
aside from that, I didn't get a thing either not even a christmas thank you card. I feel your saddness and dissapointment. Next year I will NOT give out ANYTHING to these familiesnot worth wasting my time and hard earned money. a simple "Merry Christmas" will do, lets face it, kids should not expect presents just bc its christmas.
SilverSabre25 07:14 PM 12-21-2012
Originally Posted by Daycarelady1979:
It makes me question, am I doing something wrong? Do they not like me? Should I just give up? I do everything for these kids!! I love them all very much. All I really wanted was a Thank You for the mass amount of gifts I sent home with them. I really thought the parents would be thrilled. Turns out they don't care at all...
First off, i seriously doubt you're doing anything wrong. For some reason, today's culture overlooks a lot of the niceties that most of us expect. For me, i started making sure to a)not do things for the parents, but for the kids, b) make sure to "gift myself" in the form of time off (I think some providers save away like $5/week/family for a "bonus" at the end of the year), and c) to only give stuff that I feel comfortable with. Usually, books.

Last year, I made the kids all fleece naptime blankets--they were timeconsuming, but the kids needed them and love them. This year, it was a ball of homemade playdough sent home in a container...but the thanks and joy in their eyes was enough to fill me up for weeks! I did the playdough this year mostly because of money, but also because I knew my dcks would LOVE it!
Willow 08:28 PM 12-21-2012
It's the economy!

I'm sure it's got nothing to do with you at all so please don't question yourself as if it might be.
Sunshine74 10:52 PM 12-21-2012
That is terrible. It doesn't cost much to get a card with a few kind words written in it. Heck, our dollar store has them 2/$1. And it doesn't cost anything to have the child color or draw on a piece of paper and turn it into a card. People are just ungrateful sometimes. :/
Crystal 10:54 PM 12-21-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
First off, i seriously doubt you're doing anything wrong. For some reason, today's culture overlooks a lot of the niceties that most of us expect. For me, i started making sure to a)not do things for the parents, but for the kids, b) make sure to "gift myself" in the form of time off (I think some providers save away like $5/week/family for a "bonus" at the end of the year), and c) to only give stuff that I feel comfortable with. Usually, books.

Last year, I made the kids all fleece naptime blankets--they were timeconsuming, but the kids needed them and love them. This year, it was a ball of homemade playdough sent home in a container...but the thanks and joy in their eyes was enough to fill me up for weeks! I did the playdough this year mostly because of money, but also because I knew my dcks would LOVE it!
Silver.......this is the BEST!!!!!
Crystal 10:58 PM 12-21-2012
It's 2 families and they've both been full time here since early in the Fall...
I have done EVERYTHING to accommodate these people.
My feelings are so hurt.
I am SOOO sorry for you. Know that your fellow childcare providers do appreciate you!!!!!! (even if your grinch-families do not show it )

I wish you and yours a very happy holiday season!
DaisyMamma 04:44 AM 12-22-2012
Don't blame the economy. The dollar store sells Christmas cards 12/$1, sometimes 16/$1.
It doesn't cost anything to say Merry Christmas and thanks for all you do.

I'm in the same boat. One family gave me and my kids a token gift before they left for their $4000 vacation, which they only had to pay half the tuition for the week.
The other families gave nothing, said nothing..."see you next Thurs"

A simple merry Christmas, enjoy your time off, thank you....what's so hard about that?

((((HUGS))))
DaisyMamma 04:47 AM 12-22-2012
Oh and no "thank you"s for the gifts I gave out either. And that's just plain rude!
Scout 08:31 AM 12-22-2012
Not saying Thank you is very, very rude. I gave my three kids each a $10 gift. I didn't even put names on them. They got to pick one out themselves when they left. I did not get anything, but, that is ok. I expected it since I just started last month! I will say that the economy has a big impact on what we have always bought at xmas. The first year my son was in childcare I did get her a gift. The years after that we could not afford it. We also stopped buying for anyone who wasn't a kid. So we basically cut out our parents, brothers, sisters, & opted out of my families gift exchange. Please try not to take offense to not getting a gift. But, I do think you should be upset about not getting a thank you...two little words that can mean so much! Sad that people want to teach their kids these manners. Don't let it ruin your holiday! Be with your family & love every second of it!
Meeko 08:43 AM 12-22-2012
I got a big gift basket from one family, and $100 and a gorgeous card with a heartfelt note from another. Some homemade English toffee from another.

I have 16 DCK's in all.

Not so much as a "thanks" from the others.

And while the $100 was awesome, I appreciated the homemade goodies just as much because they came with a huge hug and thank you.

I have learned not to expect anything at all and then IF I do get something, I can be genuinely surprised!

I will still continue to give small gifts to the kids and their families as I want to teach the kids it's about the GIVING and not the receiving. They most certainly aren't getting taught that at home.

I keep the gifts small. This year the kids helped me make cookies and fudge and we wrapped them in pretty bags for the families. For just the kids this year, I put an apple and an orange in a cute bag with a sprinkling of Christmas candies. Last year I made HM playdoh and put it in decorated baby formula cans. Nothing big as 16 kids could get real expensive, real fast!

I don't think any provider really wants to get big gifts. We just want to be appreciated. So it is disappointing when people don't even acknowledge you.

So ladies (and gents!) I APPRECIATE YOU!!!! You put in long hours and freely give of your love and your homes. You are AWESOME!!!!! I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year. May you be blessed with happiness and love. You deserve it!
Daycarelady1979 01:53 PM 12-22-2012
Thank you everyone.
I realize it is better to give than to receive...and I don't mean to sound like a child whining b/c I didn't get anything. I guess I was just looking for some acknowlegment that what I do is important...or appreciated.
I got each of the daycare kids a stocking & I put their names on them w/ glitter glue. I filled them each with a book, coloring book, crayons, little bath toys, a musical instrument, candy...and I bought them each a pair of pajamas. There may have been something else in the stocking too, I forget now. Anyway, it was STUFFED. Then I also got them each a gift that was wrapped seperately so they had something to "open"...the girls got Barbies & the boy got a Hot Wheel truck. I put a lot of time, money & effort into those gifts, believe you me!
I planned a super awesome Christmas party on the 15th, we were going to decorate & bake cookies & I bought a bunch of wooden ornaments for the kids to color & hang on the tree. I also arranged for Santa & Mrs. Claus to come & surprise the kids. I printed up cute invitations & let the parents know to bring a camera. I spent HOURS shopping, planning, cleaning & decorating...making sure everything was just perfect. And guess what happened?? 3 out of the 4 kids were sick so I had to cancel the party. I realize that it was out of my control, but still...I was bummed. I even put on the invitation "we're not doing a gift exchange between families this year, but don't worry- each child will have a gift to take home"...so they had plenty of notice that I would be giving gifts to THEM. I just wonder, were they going to show up at the party with nothing for me? I guess so, seeing as how I ended up with nothing. I also asked each family to bring a canned food item or two to donate to our local food pantry. No one did.
Ah well, live & learn, I suppose. My pity party is over. I'm just going to stop feeling sorry for myself & enjoy the next 3 days off with nobody else's kids but my own!
Countrygal 02:56 PM 12-22-2012
I feel for you. Like I mentioned in another post, it is not the norm to receive or give CM gifts around here very often. I gave the kids toys for the daycare and some dollar tree-type things for a stocking.

One family left last week without even a "good-bye" or one day's notice, right at Christmas. Talk about rude.... But I was expecting it sooner or later. The timing really stunk, tho.

I may be really pessimistic, but I have found most people around here to be rude. People I've worked with, people I've helped, etc.. I don't think it's the economy as the way they were raised... IMO
Kaddidle Care 04:43 PM 12-22-2012
Thank you everyone.
I realize it is better to give than to receive...and I don't mean to sound like a child whining b/c I didn't get anything. I guess I was just looking for some acknowlegment that what I do is important...or appreciated.
I got each of the daycare kids a stocking & I put their names on them w/ glitter glue. I filled them each with a book, coloring book, crayons, little bath toys, a musical instrument, candy...and I bought them each a pair of pajamas. There may have been something else in the stocking too, I forget now. Anyway, it was STUFFED. Then I also got them each a gift that was wrapped seperately so they had something to "open"...the girls got Barbies & the boy got a Hot Wheel truck. I put a lot of time, money & effort into those gifts, believe you me!
I planned a super awesome Christmas party on the 15th, we were going to decorate & bake cookies & I bought a bunch of wooden ornaments for the kids to color & hang on the tree. I also arranged for Santa & Mrs. Claus to come & surprise the kids. I printed up cute invitations & let the parents know to bring a camera. I spent HOURS shopping, planning, cleaning & decorating...making sure everything was just perfect. And guess what happened?? 3 out of the 4 kids were sick so I had to cancel the party. I realize that it was out of my control, but still...I was bummed. I even put on the invitation "we're not doing a gift exchange between families this year, but don't worry- each child will have a gift to take home"...so they had plenty of notice that I would be giving gifts to THEM. I just wonder, were they going to show up at the party with nothing for me? I guess so, seeing as how I ended up with nothing. I also asked each family to bring a canned food item or two to donate to our local food pantry. No one did.
Ah well, live & learn, I suppose. My pity party is over. I'm just going to stop feeling sorry for myself & enjoy the next 3 days off with nobody else's kids but my own!
Yep, yep! Move on Mcduff! Enjoy your mini-vacation. To me it's better that they didn't say anything rather than - "Oh, I have something for you but left it home." yeah... right.. never got anything. LOL Ancient history.

As I've said before.. I don't know why but it always seems like the parents of the kids that are the hardest to care for are the ones that say nothing, do nothing.
dave4him 04:49 PM 12-22-2012
I didnt expect anything so i wasnt sad when i got nothing in return. My mother in law did bring cupcakes friday so the kids could have a party! That was nice
Unregistered 05:03 PM 12-23-2012
People are saying that 'thank you' notes are a lost art. Many people do don't think about doing this anymore because they don't realize how much more appreciated it is compared to a verbal "thanx". If you don't already try sending more thank you notes (maybe a monthly one for families that always pay on time and how much you appriciate them choosing your daycare. Also teach the kids how to right thank you notes; maybe they can send them to school teachers (if school aged) or soldiers or maybe after the holidays have them make a thank you note for every person who gave then a gift. Sometimes parents learn more from their kids then they teach their kids.
Daycarelady1979 08:20 PM 12-23-2012
Ok, so I have an update...
I have one family that I occasionally do daycare for...this month it was one day (supposed to be 3 but he was sick), last month one day, the month before no days. VERY random. The family goes to the same church as us. Anyway, at church today the mom came over & gave me a gift bag & said thank you for all I've done for her son. I WAS SO HAPPY! She had filled a little gift basket with some goodies for me. I couldn't have been more excited.
daycarediva 06:12 AM 12-24-2012
Ok, so I have an update...
I have one family that I occasionally do daycare for...this month it was one day (supposed to be 3 but he was sick), last month one day, the month before no days. VERY random. The family goes to the same church as us. Anyway, at church today the mom came over & gave me a gift bag & said thank you for all I've done for her son. I WAS SO HAPPY! She had filled a little gift basket with some goodies for me. I couldn't have been more excited.
All it takes is one nice family!

I got gifts from half my families (even the homemade goodies are awesome because of the thank you cards with handwritten notes inside)

The rest gave cards with pictures of the kids, except for ONE family but they are young, divorced and ill mannered in general (but dcb is a GEM who said thank you to me for his gift about 100x during the party, THAT's all the appreciation I need!)
Mama 07:34 AM 12-24-2012
I'm sorry hun! Maybe since this was their first Holiday with you they just didn't realize that you would be doing something. My seasoned families know I spoil my kiddos and always do nice keepsake projects with the kids. Maybe they'll bring something after the new year. They probably don't want to disturb you on your break! (Trying to think the best)
Childminder 01:19 PM 12-24-2012
I have gotten some undercooked brownies and the ugliest soap dispenser I have ever seen. Lol, yes I know it's the thought. In the past I have received awesome gifts, one family used to give a months wage, and it all depends on the economy, this year I have a lot of state pay.
Reply Up