Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daily Schedule
melilley 07:21 AM 01-17-2013
This is my daily schedule. What do you think? I have done schedules for centers, but not for home daycare and I haven't had to do them for mixed age groups. I have a weekly theme that I base activities off of that I will make age appropriate for the different age groups so that everyone can participate. What time frames for activities, meal times, etc. work best for you or what activities work for you? My age ranges are infant - 5 year olds not yet in Kindergarten. Constructive criticism is needed! Thanks!

DAILY SCHEDULE

6:00 - 7:30 Drop off/Free play
7:30 - 8:00 Breakfast
8:00 - 8:30 Circle Time/Language Activities
9:00 - 9:15 Diaper Changes/Potty Time/Hand Washing
9:15 - 9:30 Morning Snack
9:30 - 10:30 Explorer Time - Art, Sensory, Science and Math choices
10:30 - 11:30 Outdoor Play
11:30 - 11:45 Diaper Changes/Potty Time/Hand Washing
11:45 - 12:45 Lunch
12:45 - 3:00 Brush Teeth/Nap/Rest Time
3:00 - 3:15 Diaper Changes/Potty Time/Hand Washing
3:15 - 3:30 Afternoon Snack
3:30 - 4:30 Outside Play
4:30 - Pick Up Free Play - Indoors or Outdoors
5:00 Diaper Changes/Potty Time

* The daily schedule is based on the demands of the children and may be altered to fit the needs of the daycare and children. Scheduled meal and nap times are for children 12 months and older and will not change.
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 01-17-2013
My schedule is similar. I don't actually list the toileting, handwashing and diapering in my schedule though because to me that is a given and happens throughout the day AS NEEDED and I don't want to give parents the impression that we only do those things at a scheduled time. kwim?

I am sure they understand that but leaving that part out, simplfies the schedule and makes it easier to read.

HTH
coolconfidentme 07:38 AM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My schedule is similar. I don't actually list the toileting, handwashing and diapering in my schedule though because to me that is a given and happens throughout the day AS NEEDED and I don't want to give parents the impression that we only do those things at a scheduled time. kwim?

I am sure they understand that but leaving that part out, simplfies the schedule and makes it easier to read.

HTH
..what she said, lol.
melilley 07:58 AM 01-17-2013
Thanks, I think I may remove the potty time from my schedule, but what would you put in place of it? I guess it is only 15 minutes, I could extend the before or after activity.
Blackcat31 08:51 AM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Thanks, I think I may remove the potty time from my schedule, but what would you put in place of it? I guess it is only 15 minutes, I could extend the before or after activity.
I just list our daily routine without times attached. You never know how the day will go and we try really hard not to focus on time limits and restraints.

I use a Montessori approach (loosely adapted) and one of the main focuses of this approach is uninterupted play.

It is important for kids to be able to get deeply involved in what they are doing and not have to be worried that it will be time to move ontot he next activity before they are truly done with the first.

The ONLY really strict time constraint I have is lunch and nap/rest period.

Everything else happens on it's own naturally when the kids demonstrate the need or desire to move onto the next activity.
MarinaVanessa 09:05 AM 01-17-2013
I do the same as BC. I don't have a schedule other than my meals, snacks and naptime. That never changes. Everything else happens if and when I can get to it and if and when the kids want to do them .

I'm very child-led and open ended.
melilley 09:28 AM 01-17-2013
Thanks ladies! I thought it would be a good idea to put times, but after reading the posts, I may get rid of the times. I like child led programs. Licensing requires us to have a daily activity program and I don't know if we have to make a schedule or not. I put that The daily schedule is based on the demands of the children and may be altered to fit the needs of the daycare and children. Scheduled meal and nap times are for children 12 months and older and will not change, on the bottom of the schedule. That way I have a daily activity program "schedule", but it can be altered
Crazy In Mo 11:38 AM 01-17-2013
In my state, licensing requires diaper/potty break and hand washing to be on the schedule that's posted. Dumb, I know
Starburst 12:14 PM 01-17-2013
Well technechly you change diapers as soon as possible and allow children to go to the bathroom when ever they need to. But one place I used to work at we had certain times when we would check diapers and make sure children when to the bathroom like during transitions (before/after preschool, lunch, or nap) but we did do quick diaper checks if infants were fussy or let kids go if they had to go.

But it never fails that even when you make sure all the kids go to the bathroom right before preschool that the first 5 minutes of class someone will still have to use the bathroom.
Crazy In Mo 12:39 PM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by Crazy In Mo:
In my state, licensing requires diaper/potty break and hand washing to be on the schedule that's posted. Dumb, I know
Ooops. I posted twice and don't know how to delete
Michael 02:06 PM 01-17-2013
Ooops. I posted twice and don't know how to delete
Deleted!

I believe if you go to edit the post it goes you an open to delete it within a certain amount of time.
MarinaVanessa 04:21 PM 01-17-2013
Ha ha ha ... I think that's funny only because the thought of asking a child to wait until potty break time to use the potty just like it says in the schedule .

I know it's not really this way but the idea popped into my head . I have to have a "schedule" posted for the food program and licensing likes to look at it too but mine is so general that I don't see what the point is.

For the food program I specify the times which don't change and of course naptime but that's it. Mine looks something like this:

Daily Routine
7:00am Breakfast
9:00am Snack
11:30am Lunch
3:00pm Snack
5:00pm Dinner

*Wet diapers will be checked and changed every 2 hours minimum. Diaper with BM will be changed as needed.
*Infants will be fed and napped on command as needed.
*Each day children will be free to explore their own interest through open-ended and child-led activities both inside and outside as weather permits.
itlw8 05:54 PM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
DAILY SCHEDULE

6:00 - 7:30 Drop off/Free play
7:30 - 8:00 Breakfast
8:00 - 8:30 Circle Time/Language Activities
9:00 - 9:15 Diaper Changes/Potty Time/Hand Washing
9:15 - 9:30 Morning Snack
9:30 - 10:30 Explorer Time - Art, Sensory, Science and Math choices
10:30 - 11:30 Outdoor Play
11:30 - 11:45 Diaper Changes/Potty Time/Hand Washing
11:45 - 12:45 Lunch
12:45 - 3:00 Brush Teeth/Nap/Rest Time
3:00 - 3:15 Diaper Changes/Potty Time/Hand Washing
3:15 - 3:30 Afternoon Snack
3:30 - 4:30 Outside Play
4:30 - Pick Up Free Play - Indoors or Outdoors
5:00 Diaper Changes/Potty Time

* The daily schedule is based on the demands of the children and may be altered to fit the needs of the daycare and children. Scheduled meal and nap times are for children 12 months and older and will not change.
30 minutes and 1 hours is too long for meals. Children need blocks of child directed activites Is that your explorer time? or is that teacher directed?
melilley 07:28 PM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
30 minutes and 1 hours is too long for meals. Children need blocks of child directed activites Is that your explorer time? or is that teacher directed?
The breakfast is 30 minutes, but I am including prep. time, the children will do child directed activities while I make b-fast. Snack times are 15 min.. Lunch is 1 hour, but I was including the preparation in that time. The children will do some type of activity while I prepare the breakfast/lunch. The explorer time is child directed. I will have centers, but the children will decide where they want to spend their time. After reading several posts, I want to do child centered activities. If it comes down to it, I will give a written schedule to licensing, but like it says at the bottom, the schedule may change depending on the needs of the children, that way I'm covered either way!
melilley 07:32 PM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Ha ha ha ... I think that's funny only because the thought of asking a child to wait until potty break time to use the potty just like it says in the schedule .

I know it's not really this way but the idea popped into my head . I have to have a "schedule" posted for the food program and licensing likes to look at it too but mine is so general that I don't see what the point is.

For the food program I specify the times which don't change and of course naptime but that's it. Mine looks something like this:

Daily Routine
7:00am Breakfast
9:00am Snack
11:30am Lunch
3:00pm Snack
5:00pm Dinner

*Wet diapers will be checked and changed every 2 hours minimum. Diaper with BM will be changed as needed.
*Infants will be fed and napped on command as needed.
*Each day children will be free to explore their own interest through open-ended and child-led activities both inside and outside as weather permits.
I agree, having a schedule for the children to use the potty is absurd! I think a general schedule will comply with licensing, but also leaves it open. They can't really say anything.
theycallmetaytor 06:24 PM 02-13-2013
I know this thread is old, but I was thinking about a "schedule". What exactly are centers?
melilley 05:32 AM 02-14-2013
Centers are areas that have certain activities in them.
I have centers but they are kind of squished together because I only have my living room as the playroom and it isn't that big. I use a table, shelving unit, and a toy storage bin to separate areas. For instance, I have a large and small manipulative center with blocks, cars, those bead toys etc.. I have a pretend center where the kids can dress up, play babies, and play in the play kitchen. A sensory and art center, a reading center where the children can read and do quiet activities and a science/math/music center where materials for those activities are. I do allow for the children to bring items from one center to another to broaden their play experience.
theycallmetaytor 06:01 AM 02-14-2013
Ohhh...I see. I know how the livingroom space is. That's all I've got until my garage is converted and its still small too. I've been trying to figure out where I'm going to put a play kitchen in my living room!
melilley 06:36 AM 02-14-2013
Originally Posted by theycallmetaytor:
Ohhh...I see. I know how the livingroom space is. That's all I've got until my garage is converted and its still small too. I've been trying to figure out where I'm going to put a play kitchen in my living room!
Luckily I have a family room too, or I don't know what I would do! You are lucky to be able to convert your garage! I bought a cheap plastic kitchen for now, but it fits into a corner so it saves a little space. I suppose you could do that with any kitchen, but the back is angled to put in a corner. I've tried to post pictures in the decor group, but it keeps telling me I can't.
Tags:schedule, schedule - examples
Reply Up