Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Daily Arts/Crafts

When you do your daily arts/crafts - is it open art or do you do a project?

Do you even do arts/crafts daily?

I usually do open art almost daily and only do "projects" for holidays.

Was wondering what the rest of you did.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Daycare.com Member

I have drawing/coloring supplies available all the time. I also plan an art "experience" every day, although if they're engaged in something else we may not get to it. Most art is open-ended but I do one craft or project (aka parent pleaser) a week.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:26 PM

I have 95% of my art supplies out and available for use at any time.

I do a planned or structured craft anywhere from none to 5 times a month.

Just depends on the season and how often I 've been on Pinterest
Old 04-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaycareMom View Post

structured art is only on wed and fri....

rest of the time its open choice free art....however, most of the kids hardly touch it
Old 04-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Daycare.com Member

My goal is something to reinforce the story or concept that we are working on daily. Sometimes it is open ended, sometimes a craft. However since I have been overwhelmed with 2 yr olds, that doesn't always happen. I have the twins being dropped off at 10:30 so if we go outside before lunch we don't have much time. My kids color, playdoh, or something like that everyday.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post

Blackcat...at what age do you think its ok to have the supplies left out for use. I have two 3 year olds, a 1.5, and 2 year old. Im worried my supplies would be taken all over my room with the 1.5 year old. Any thoughts?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Family Childcare Home

Quote:

Ditto here too. Most of mine are open ended but I do crafts on occasion also because I can use the craft activity to help them practice cutting skills and other things. It's never more than maybe twice a week at the most, if that.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
I have drawing/coloring supplies available all the time. I also plan an art "experience" every day, although if they're engaged in something else we may not get to it. Most art is open-ended but I do one craft or project (aka parent pleaser) a week.
love that!!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom View Post
Blackcat...at what age do you think its ok to have the supplies left out for use. I have two 3 year olds, a 1.5, and 2 year old. Im worried my supplies would be taken all over my room with the 1.5 year old. Any thoughts?
I was wondering the same thing. I have three 4 yr olds (each of which will use an entire glue stick a day if I let them) two 2 yr olds, and a 10 mo old who is in the 100th percentile for height and literally as tall as the 2 yr olds.

I'm just not comfortable leaving scissors, glue, or paint out where the 10 mo old could reach it. And if I put it up so he can't reach it, then the 2s can't reach it either. He can also reach onto the table to grab anything the older ones leave near the edge.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Daycare.com member

We have a structured preschool program, and do art Tu-Fr, everyday after story time. Of the 4 days I try and make 2 open ended and 2 projects. I am getting better about incorporating open ended art into the projects. For example, today I had planned to make butterflies since we are doing a garden unit. So I cut out the general shapes, and gave the kids the materials to decorate and assemble them. So it wasn't such a step-oriented project. I have a hard time with process art, but am really making a focused effort to get better.

I will be honest and say that we have no art supplies out in the open. I am not sure how you ladies manage that one. I have tried and tried to imagine it working for us, and I just can't fathom it. The closest they come to being able to draw at any time, is two magna doodles that are velcroed to the table.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Daycare.com Member

Almost all open ended art, but right now I have 2 two yr olds and a 14 mo. for art time. I left markers, glue, scissors, scrap construction paper, & some collage materials out when I had all 3/4/5 yr olds but not now.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:58 PM
Daycare.com Member

I have a majority of my art materials out daily. I do open-ended projects once or twice a week and maybe one craft a week.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Not really crazy

I have:
7mo
three 1yos
three 2yos
three 3yos
two 4yos

No way on God's green Earth am I leaving any art supplies out!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Daycare.com member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK5kids View Post
Almost all open ended art, but right now I have 2 two yr olds and a 14 mo. for art time. I left markers, glue, scissors, scrap construction paper, & some collage materials out when I had all 3/4/5 yr olds but not now.
That makes me feel better. We only take up to age 3 (some who have just turned 4, but no older), so that would probably by why I couldn't imagine doing it with my group.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:26 AM
Daycare.com Member

I don't leave out supplies- I just don't have room. I offer them at various times throughout the day just like they can't go outside whenever they want, they can't have art supplies (or musical instruments) any time they want either.
I have littler ones too. MWF I have one 3 yr old and four 2 yr olds. T TH I have 1 yr old, three 2 yr olds, 3 yr old, 4 yr old. I have a two year old set of twins that have had no boundries! They ate crayons when they first arrived at my house around Christmas time... they still regularly taste paint!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom View Post
My youngest is 10 months and they don't even seem to notice the shelf with the craft supplies on it but if they did, I would simply "re-locate" them.

As for other kids in care...they range from age 20 months to 5 years old and each one of them has their own plastic art box. In that art box is:
  • 12 pack of colored pencils
  • 24 pack of crayons
  • glue sticks
  • small bottle of Elmer's glue
  • scissors
  • markers
  • scotch tape
  • masking tape

On the self available for ALL children are paints (both tempura and water colors), modeling clay, collage supplies such as pom-poms, magazines, paper {both construction and plain paper}, pipe cleaners, stickers, stencils, wipe off boards, glitter, yarn and all sorts of things I have collected over the years that the kids like to use for arts/crafts.

I guess I have never really thought about it but none of the kids have ever really just tore through the art/craft area and messed up the supplies or drug them all over the place.

Caring for the art supplies though is something that is sort of taught from day one simply through guidance and re-direction if necessary.

It is sort of like the concept that if it is out and available to everyone at all times then the need to want to destroy and rummage isn't so great...kwim?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Daycare Member

crayons and colouring books are available at all times (sitting at the kitchen table)

I have a theme of the week and we do a theme craft everyday just prior to lunch. It may be a detailed craft or it may be a worksheet but it goes like this

one day colouring, one day paint, one day gluing, one day work sheet and on Fridays they do a collage of images they bring in from home or we find here that go with the theme.

If freeplay tidying takes too long and starts to eat into craft time then it is off the table for the day and we go right to lunch.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have crayons, Markers, blank paper, scissors, and glue stick out all of the time. I usually do 1 craft per week that ties into our theme or a book we are reading. It is usually somewhat process, but does have an end product mind. We do process art a couple of times per week which is usually water color painting, dot dot art, or collage. We also do a letter craft/art (usually weekly).
Old 04-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaycareMom View Post

I do my own preschool program so I try to throw something in daily related to what the week is.

I do both open art and planned out-
Old 04-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

think I have seen this before but do you have pictures you could share of your art area or creative area?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I never do crafts of any sort. My art supplies are out and accessible to children at all times and they use them ALL DAY LONG Even my littles use them independently and I have never had an issue with it. The preschoolers are very good about helping the toddlers. Typically around 1 year my kids are sitting at the table drawing, painting, etc.

My art supplies include a wide variety of drawing materials, paint, watercolors, collage/glue/scissors, etc.

I do offer specific experiences, but not craft type stuff. I put out framed canvas for painting withacrylics, mosaic pieces with tile, clay, etc. and the children create whatever they wish.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Daycare.com Member

They have certain art supplies that are always out and they can always explore them - I put out paint and other things as a group but never have an expectation of a finished piece of art - it is about them exploring the materials and some days that just means ripping paper.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:01 PM
New Daycare.com Member

I usually do 2-3 projects per week, but keep some art things available to the kids as they want. I just bought a great art table (from Goodwill for 15.00) which has this pole that goes up through the middle of the table and these 2 bins high enough that my 3/4 yo's can reach it, but not to where younger kids can so I keep crayons in one bin and markers in the other.

We do crafty projects, artsie ones or something pertaining to the number, color, letter we're working on for that week.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3cents View Post
think I have seen this before but do you have pictures you could share of your art area or creative area?
Sure thing!

I will try to take a couple and post them tomorrow.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Daycare.com Member

My supplies are out on the shelves and accessible-sort of. It is on a different floor than what we are normally on, but I can see it from the play area. If they ask to go to it, I allow them up there. I can still see and hear them. We usually don't do "projects" unless it is a holiday or something and the parents are all wondering where the pumpkins or turkeys are. We'll do a turkey that I cut out and they decorate and then I'll give them the paper and scissors and tell them to cut out their own turkey and decorate it. On dcb I have doesn't like cutting at all, so he will make one little cut into the paper and say "looky my turkey!" Great-mom with love it!