Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sunscreen...And Avoiding Sunburns
blandino 08:24 PM 04-08-2013
The summertime thread got me thinking...

We have moved since last summer, from a very shaded backyard (where sunburn wasn't a real worry) to one that has very little shade. Every summer I have parents apply sunscreen in the morning before arrival. Because it is so hot here, we are usually done playing outside before 10:30. So I am only referring to morning outdoor time in this post.

Lets assume we are in every day by 10:30, do you think the pre-daycare application of sunscreen is enough. I know conditions vary depending on water play, etc.

I guess my main question is, I would like to be as free as possible of responsibility for sunburns, but is it too much to expect that the initial application should last until 10:30 - on your average day ?

I don't have a problem reapplying, but I feel like that opens the doors for fault/blame for any sunburns.

Clearly
youretooloud 09:42 PM 04-08-2013
We don't go out much in the summer, so I almost never apply sunscreen. The parents don't either.

I don't worry about sun exposure before 10:30. (but again, we don't really go out..so, I have no idea what it's like there)

We are outside all day all winter and spring, and I never apply sunscreen. (parent's don't either) Now that it's getting hot, I will probably do sunscreen occasionally, but not each day.
Play Care 02:51 AM 04-09-2013
I would think that if you are in fact, in by 10:30 then the one application before dc should be enough - depending on what time you open/children arrive. Sunscreen needs thirty minutes to "soak" into the skin, so a child who gets the block on at say 7:00 and is dropped off at your dc by 7:30 should be fine.
We are outside for hours in the summer, so I do supply block (and have parents sign a waiver or bring their own) but I also try to avoid direct sun during the hottest parts of the day.
LaLa1923 06:06 AM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
We don't go out much in the summer, so I almost never apply sunscreen. The parents don't either.

I don't worry about sun exposure before 10:30. (but again, we don't really go out..so, I have no idea what it's like there)

We are outside all day all winter and spring, and I never apply sunscreen. (parent's don't either) Now that it's getting hot, I will probably do sunscreen occasionally, but not each day.
All day, every day? How do you manage that?
youretooloud 06:45 AM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
The two back doors are open to the yard, and the outside and inside are all part of the same space, so as long as the doors stay open, I can be either in or out and still see and hear them.

The yard is really only a large courtyard. It's not a typical yard. But, when the doors are closed, they have to have me out there with them.
SilverSabre25 06:46 AM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
pretty sure she lives in a part of the country where the weather gets dangerously hot for most of the summer. so where we stay in all winter, she stays in all summer.
Crazy8 10:28 AM 04-10-2013
there are a lot of factors to take into consideration, like the SPF of the sunscreen, the skin (fair, olive, etc.) of the children in care, what is considered an "average" temperature day in your area, etc.

There's actually a formula that says if you multiply the SPF by the time it takes you to get a sunburn that gives you the amount of minutes your sunscreen should be effective but again, there are soooo many variables.

In very general terms I'd say an application should provide coverage for about 3 hours.
Starburst 11:50 AM 04-10-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
We have moved since last summer, from a very shaded backyard (where sunburn wasn't a real worry) to one that has very little shade. Every summer I have parents apply sunscreen in the morning before arrival. Because it is so hot here, we are usually done playing outside before 10:30. So I am only referring to morning outdoor time in this post.

Lets assume we are in every day by 10:30, do you think the pre-daycare application of sunscreen is enough. I know conditions vary depending on water play, etc.

I guess my main question is, I would like to be as free as possible of responsibility for sunburns, but is it too much to expect that the initial application should last until 10:30 - on your average day ?

I don't have a problem reapplying, but I feel like that opens the doors for fault/blame for any sunburns.

Clearly
Well if you look at all the instructions on sunscreens, they say you should apply sunscreen at least 15-30 minutes before you go out to give it some time to soak in and how long they can stay out in the sun depends on the SPF and some are sweat proof and water resistant but others aren't so if they child is playing in the water or sweating excessively than they may need to be reapplied again. The average re-application recommendation varies between every 2 or 3 hours in the sun (but again it all depends on SPF).

My geography teacher says that the radiation from the sun is so powerful that the rays can seep through the clouds on a overcast and even a rainy day and could still cause skin damage. So if the kids are out all year long they should wear sunscreen every day (it helps them to remember to use too) just probably lower SPFs. Also never forget the ears, eye lids, and lips (some chapsticks have SPF) as they are the most sensitive to burns and are often the most forgotten. They also have clothing/swim suits that have a special lining to help block out harmful UV rays.

In my state you need a signed medication list to apply anything other than soap and water to the child's skin such as sunscreen, ointments/creams, or saline boogie wipes; even if the parent provides it.

Some more info on children and Sun protection:
Info on kids and sunscreen: http://suite101.com/article/what-spf...8#.UWW08rvn_6U
Basic sun protection: http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/basic_info/children.htm
Building a curriculum to teach kids about sun safety: http://www.sunsafetyforkids.org/sunp...on/curriculum/
sharlan 05:58 PM 04-10-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
Well if you look at all the instructions on sunscreens, they say you should apply sunscreen at least 15-30 minutes before you go out to give it some time to soak in and how long they can stay out in the sun depends on the SPF and some are sweat proof and water resistant but others aren't so if they child is playing in the water or sweating excessively than they may need to be reapplied again. The average re-application recommendation varies between every 2 or 3 hours in the sun (but again it all depends on SPF).

My geography teacher says that the radiation from the sun is so powerful that the rays can seep through the clouds on a overcast and even a rainy day and could still cause skin damage. So if the kids are out all year long they should wear sunscreen every day (it helps them to remember to use too) just probably lower SPFs. Also never forget the ears, eye lids, and lips (some chapsticks have SPF) as they are the most sensitive to burns and are often the most forgotten. They also have clothing/swim suits that have a special lining to help block out harmful UV rays.

In my state you need a signed medication list to apply anything other than soap and water to the child's skin such as sunscreen, ointments/creams, or saline boogie wipes; even if the parent provides it.
Some more info on children and Sun protection:
Info on kids and sunscreen: http://suite101.com/article/what-spf...8#.UWW08rvn_6U
Basic sun protection: http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/basic_info/children.htm
Building a curriculum to teach kids about sun safety: http://www.sunsafetyforkids.org/sunp...on/curriculum/

Can you tell me where that is in writing?
Starburst 07:12 PM 04-10-2013
It is regulation 101226 Health related services in Title 22. It's considered a nonprescription medication. Here is an example of it in a CA daycare permission slip that includes it.

http://storage.cloversites.com/adven...pplication.pdf
sharlan 08:10 PM 04-10-2013
It is required for CENTERS, but recommended for FCCH. I was told by my analyst last summer that it was nice to have a form on file, but it was not required.

We encourage licensees to use sunscreen on children! Title 22 licensing regulations, Section 101226(e) (4), Health-Related Services, requires CCCs to obtain written approval or instructions from parents prior to administering non-prescription medication to children in care. Sunscreen is considered a non-prescription medication. The approval or instructions must be maintained in the child’s file. It is recommended that the same precautions be followed for FCCHs.
Starburst 08:32 PM 04-10-2013
We went over this in a ECE class this last fall ('careers with children') where we went over a freshly printed copy of Title 22 (as of August 2012), 1/2 way through the semester the professor said that there was new things being added to Title 22 making the ones we had technically outdated. We even asked her if that particular rule applied to home daycares (there were other people interested in FCC in the class) and she said Yes. She said that sunscreen, ointments, and saline count as non-prescription medications and that due to risk of allergic reactions that parents need to be aware of everything you intend to put on their child and the you need written permission before you apply it.

Even if it's not specifiacally FCCs better safe than sorry, in the future I would like to expand to a center if my business goes well and if I am able to continue my education. So it would be better if I try to follow it.
Crystal 01:34 PM 04-16-2013
Star....this is not the first time you have posted inaccurate information about licensing regs in Ca. Please, do us all a favor and verify what you are saying is REQUIRED by licensing to be accurate before posting it. It is very frustrating when people post innacurate information based on what they have "heard" rather than what they have researched to be valid and reliable. And trust me, your ECE professors don't know everything.....really, how many of them have ever been a FCCP?

Thanks!
Cradle2crayons 01:41 PM 04-16-2013
Here in ms it gets deadly hot and deadly cold and we do outside hear around, depending on temps to decide the timing. Yes, I apply sunblock to ALL children, every single morning and after nap time so it can soak in during snack time. The kids just line up. Yes, all my parents sign a form. Yes, I buy it and apply it. No it's not required but as a child I was the victim of parents not applying sunblock and got burned to the point of hospitalization more than once. Yes, I've had skin cancer, yes it was before I was even a legal adult and yes it also runs in my family. I refuse to be the reason my children or a dck gets skin cancer.
sharlan 01:56 PM 04-16-2013
Last summer, I went through 26 cans of spray sunscreen, 2 bottles of lotion sunscreen, and 4 face sticks.

When we go to the beach or water park, I line the kids up in my back yard and spray them down. We spray again when we get wherever we're going. I also spray again after lunch.

I bathe the younger kids when we get home and then lotion them down. I have the older kids shower themselves and lotion themselves down.
Cradle2crayons 01:59 PM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Last summer, I went through 26 cans of spray sunscreen, 2 bottles of lotion sunscreen, and 4 face sticks.

When we go to the beach or water park, I line the kids up in my back yard and spray them down. We spray again when we get wherever we're going. I also spray again after lunch.

I bathe the younger kids when we get home and then lotion them down. I have the older kids shower themselves and lotion themselves down.

Country Kids 02:09 PM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Star....this is not the first time you have posted inaccurate information about licensing regs in Ca. Please, do us all a favor and verify what you are saying is REQUIRED by licensing to be accurate before posting it. It is very frustrating when people post innacurate information based on what they have "heard" rather than what they have researched to be valid and reliable. And trust me, your ECE professors don't know everything.....really, how many of them have ever been a FCCP?

Thanks!
Chrystal, states change rules/regs all the time and not everyone knows about it. Might be the case here.

Happened last year in our state. No one except liscensing knew there had been a rule change on sunscreen till they were coming to our homes for inspections and having to tell us. It was in the new rule book that was put out in the very beginning of summer. My inspection was towards the end of summer but someone had told me about it which the licensor said was great and loved how we were spreading the word amongst ourselves.

Right now we have something like 54 rule changes being proposed. I called our local CCR&R about it with some questions. Guess what-they knew NOTHING about it and didn't even know a couple weeks later that there was opportunities for us to comment on us.

So maybe you just haven't heard of the changes yet, there is a chance of that. It does happen.
sharlan 02:16 PM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Chrystal, states change rules/regs all the time and not everyone knows about it. Might be the case here.

Happened last year in our state. No one except liscensing knew there had been a rule change on sunscreen till they were coming to our homes for inspections and having to tell us. It was in the new rule book that was put out in the very beginning of summer. My inspection was towards the end of summer but someone had told me about it which the licensor said was great and loved how we were spreading the word amongst ourselves.

Right now we have something like 54 rule changes being proposed. I called our local CCR&R about it with some questions. Guess what-they knew NOTHING about it and didn't even know a couple weeks later that there was opportunities for us to comment on us.

So maybe you just haven't heard of the changes yet, there is a chance of that. It does happen.

We DO NOT have to have the parents sign a form in order to use sunscreen, boggie wipes, diaper ointment, etc. in CA. It is a nice form to use, but it is NOT required.
Country Kids 02:29 PM 04-16-2013
We DO NOT have to have the parents sign a form in order to use sunscreen, boggie wipes, diaper ointment, etc. in CA. It is a nice form to use, but it is NOT required.
Heres what I found when I looked it up for CA.

http://nrckids.org/cfoc3/htmlversion/chapter03.html (hopefull this comes through)

Look under the sunscreen portion-you have to scroll down aways I believe.

It does say written permission for sunscreen so why not use a form?
sharlan 02:36 PM 04-16-2013
That is not from CA licensing.
Starburst 02:54 PM 04-16-2013

Thanks!
Actually, as I have mentioned many times on this forum before, one of my ECE teacher was a FCCP before she was a director and she does teach a class specifically for family child care providers as well as 1st Aid/CPR classes (I took both classes) where she stated in both classes not to give children anything without parental permission due to risk of allergic reaction and legal issues.

Thought the other teacher I was mentioning in that other class was not a FCCP she does do regular visits/evaluations and research in other child care facilities, including home daycares. And as stated before she asked in July and we went over it around November and not only I but other people interested in FCC asked if it applied to FCC and she said yes they just made that a rule that was only a few months ago and like I have said the rules change all the time.

In that class we went over the entire title 22 and where to look for things and she said that that section applied to FCC as well because you need permission before you give any child anything as a general rule. It does not flat out say "sunscreen" but it can fall under the category of non prescription medication. Wouldn't you need permission for the parent if you gave them aspirin or Benadryl?
Willow 03:39 PM 04-16-2013
Just to clarify, children should never be given asprin.
craftymissbeth 03:58 PM 04-16-2013
This link to the Mayo Clinic's site says aspirin is approved for children 2 and older

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/reyes-syndrome/DS00142
Starburst 04:07 PM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Just to clarify, children should never be given asprin.
I was saying if you were to give a child some type of non-prescription medication wouldn't you think you need the parents permission- it was not literally it was an example. I was using aspirin as a generic term because not many people go around saying "I have a fever, I need acetaminophen" but I know lots of people who just call pain relievers/fever reduces 'aspirin' no matter what brand it is or even if it is technically not aspirin.
Willow 04:13 PM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
This link to the Mayo Clinic's site says aspirin is approved for children 2 and older

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/reyes-syndrome/DS00142

Do you feel qualified enough to distinguish if someone else's child definitely does or does not have a fever causing or viral illness as opposed to other kinds of illnesses?

I've never heard of any licensor advising a FCCP administer asprin even with parental permission.

"The U.S. Surgeon General, the Food and Drug Administration, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the American Academy of Pediatrics the National Reye's Syndrome Foundation, and WHO recommend that aspirin and combination products containing aspirin not be given to children under 19 years of age during episodes of fever-causing or viral illnesses."
Willow 04:17 PM 04-16-2013
I was saying if you were to give a child some type of non-prescription medication wouldn't you think you need the parents permission- it was not literally it was an example. I was using aspirin as a generic term because not many people go around saying "I have a fever, I need acetaminophen" but I know lots of people who just call pain relievers/fever reduces 'aspirin' no matter what brand it is or even if it is technically not aspirin.
Why not just call it Tylenol?

And I happen to believe it's an INCREDIBLY important distinction. Lots of people read these boards. It could literally mean life or death for a child.
craftymissbeth 04:29 PM 04-16-2013
Do you feel qualified enough to distinguish if someone else's child definitely does or does not have a fever causing or viral illness as opposed to other kinds of illnesses?

I've never heard of any licensor advising a FCCP administer asprin even with parental permission.

"The U.S. Surgeon General, the Food and Drug Administration, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the American Academy of Pediatrics the National Reye's Syndrome Foundation, and WHO recommend that aspirin and combination products containing aspirin not be given to children under 19 years of age during episodes of fever-causing or viral illnesses."
First of all, I don't administer ANY OTC medications to children other than my own. In fact, I rarely give my own child OTC medications.

Actually, the fact that I rarely give my child OTC medications is the reason I posted that. I wasn't saying that anyone should give a child aspirin, but rather expressing my confusion about the conflicting information I was reading. Hence the "confused" emoticon. I guess I should have clarified.
Starburst 04:31 PM 04-16-2013
Why not just call it Tylenol?

And I happen to believe it's an INCREDIBLY important distinction. Lots of people read these boards. It could literally mean life or death for a child.
Because aspirin was just the first thing that came to mind, it was not to be taken literally. But growing up people just call pills aspirin as a blanket term- that is a vernacular I am trying to get rid of to be more specific for future. But there is also baby aspirin, though I wouldn't give that to kids either.
Willow 04:34 PM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
First of all, I don't administer ANY OTC medications to children other than my own. In fact, I rarely give my own child OTC medications.

Actually, the fact that I rarely give my child OTC medications is the reason I posted that. I wasn't saying that anyone should give a child aspirin, but rather expressing my confusion about the conflicting information I was reading. Hence the "confused" emoticon. I guess I should have clarified.
Nope, I gotchya. Sorry if I came across as if I was jumping on YOU you. General you is where I meant to go with that.
Willow 04:40 PM 04-16-2013
Because aspirin was just the first thing that came to mind, it was not to be taken literally. But growing up people just call pills aspirin as a blanket term- that is a vernacular I am trying to get rid of to be more specific. But there is also baby aspirin though I wouldn't give that to kids either.

Uh, right. But baby asprin are not for babies. That's why they're now called "low dose" asprin instead. The mere term is grossly misleading.
Crystal 04:48 PM 04-16-2013

She didn't say, in her first post, that it MIGHT change. She said that it IS a regulation.

I KNOW the regs like the back of my hand. I check the updates VERY frequently. I wouldn't ask her to be mindful of only posting FACTS about the regs if I didn't KNOW myself what they are. On more than one occasion, and specifically in this thread, Star has posted hearsay as FACT about regs and IMO it is not okay to do so. It makes providers who are doing things differently than what she states as a REGULATION feel like they have been in violation of regs, when in fact they have not.

All I am asking is to please be certain before you state something as a regulation. If it is just something you "think" is a reg, or something that you recommend, then say so.
mom2many 05:39 PM 04-16-2013
She didn't say, in her first post, that it MIGHT change. She said that it IS a regulation.

I KNOW the regs like the back of my hand. I check the updates VERY frequently. I wouldn't ask her to be mindful of only posting FACTS about the regs if I didn't KNOW myself what they are. On more than one occasion, and specifically in this thread, Star has posted hearsay as FACT about regs and IMO it is not okay to do so. It makes providers who are doing things differently than what she states as a REGULATION feel like they have been in violation of regs, when in fact they have not.

All I am asking is to please be certain before you state something as a regulation. If it is just something you "think" is a reg, or something that you recommend, then say so.
I find this interesting, because in 27 years I have witnessed NUMEROUS situations where CA licensing has many "grey & inconsistant areas" and I have had more than one licensing analyst contradict another licensing analyst even within their own office in Santa Clara County.

Regarding sunscreen application this is what I was told in 2010 when I took the CA Child Care Pediatric First Aid class from the Red Cross required by licensing. I was instructed that as a provider we are no longer allowed to apply sunscreen per licensing.

My jaw dropped upon hearing this, because in the summer months, we spend a great deal of time outside. The instructor said that the parents must apply it before the child attends daycare in the morning. Because I have experienced so many inconsistencies within licensing over the years, I tend to never know for sure who to believe!

I decided to simply play it safe and use shade cloths and big umbrellas in our back yard to keep the kids out of the direct sun.
Cradle2crayons 08:10 PM 04-16-2013
that is the craziest thing I have ever heard!! Yes, signed permission required etc but to NOT ALLOW sunscreen, that's insane??? Am I crazy to think this? I would for CERTAINLY question this if I was told this simply because they require outside time in most license regulations and you can't allow them to get sunburned that's a serious health issue.
Starburst 09:36 PM 04-16-2013

Well sorry I wasn't aware that I was getting graded and quized on all my comments and that I am apparently the only person who ever gotten things mixed up on this site. I am still human and I know sometimes I make mistakes. As far as I am aware this is only the second time something like this was brought to my attention on this forum. I wasn't aware if you get confused on regulations more than once you get verbally attacked. What's the penalty for a third misunderstanding? Burn me at the stake? A public hanging? Or are you just going to cut out the middle man and bury me alive?

And it wasn't the fact that they were not rules for California (because technically they are) it was confusing them with regulations between centers and home daycares. Sorry if I thought there was a higher standard when it comes to health and safety in home daycares (which happened to be part of the other issue too). It's not like it hurts to have it on file or like you will get a citation for having it. And if for some reason they did change the laws at least you would already have it. No blood, no foul.

But then again for all I know maybe you will get a citation for having it on record, so please don't electrocute me for not knowing that!
canadiancare 04:29 AM 04-17-2013
I get my kids to wear rashguard shirts to play in and we are only out before 10am and after 4 pm.
Willow 06:15 AM 04-17-2013
Well sorry I wasn't aware that I was getting graded and quized on all my comments and that I am apparently the only person who ever gotten things mixed up on this site. I am still human and I know sometimes I make mistakes. As far as I am aware this is only the second time something like this was brought to my attention on this forum. I wasn't aware if you get confused on regulations more than once you get verbally attacked. What's the penalty for a third misunderstanding? Burn me at the stake? A public hanging? Or are you just going to cut out the middle man and bury me alive?

And it wasn't the fact that they were not rules for California (because technically they are) it was confusing them with regulations between centers and home daycares. Sorry if I thought there was a higher standard when it comes to health and safety in home daycares (which happened to be part of the other issue too). It's not like it hurts to have it on file or like you will get a citation for having it. And if for some reason they did change the laws at least you would already have it. No blood, no foul.

But then again for all I know maybe you will get a citation for having it on record, so please don't electrocute me for not knowing that!

It's incredibly important if you're going to state state licensing regs that they be accurate.

Providers and parents alike come here looking for correct information. Perhaps when you finish your education and get up and running you'll come to realize the importance of those details.

In the mean time, istead of getting butt hurt about the suggestion that your information was inaccurate perhaps you can step back off the drama and take it for what it's worth with an - "OH THANKS! And I'm sorry, I had no idea the information I had was incorrect!!!" No need to insult by throwing out digs about higher standards or go on about your torture and murder

Providers who have been providing care for some time and are invested in what they do do tend to know what they're talking about. I do wish you would be more open minded to that. Most of us here go above and beyond what you could possibly comprehend in our careers. Just because we don't go into the detail you do doesn't mean we don't know or don't do exactly what you elaborate on. It bothers me (that to me anyway) you seem to have this tone in many of your posts. Maybe it's unintentional, I do hope it is anyway.

We can all learn from each other. I just get the feeling you're not exactly sold on that being a two way street here and I have no idea why......
Country Kids 06:59 AM 04-17-2013
It's incredibly important if you're going to state state licensing regs that they be accurate.

Providers and parents alike come here looking for correct information. Perhaps when you finish your education and get up and running you'll come to realize the importance of those details.

In the mean time, istead of getting butt hurt about the suggestion that your information was inaccurate perhaps you can step back off the drama and take it for what it's worth with an - "OH THANKS! And I'm sorry, I had no idea the information I had was incorrect!!!" No need to insult by throwing out digs about higher standards or go on about your torture and murder

Providers who have been providing care for some time and are invested in what they do do tend to know what they're talking about. I do wish you would be more open minded to that. Most of us here go above and beyond what you could possibly comprehend in our careers. Just because we don't go into the detail you do doesn't mean we don't know or don't do exactly what you elaborate on. It bothers me (that to me anyway) you seem to have this tone in many of your posts. Maybe it's unintentional, I do hope it is anyway.

We can all learn from each other. I just get the feeling you're not exactly sold on that being a two way street here and I have no idea why......
No one jumped all over Mom2Many for saying she was told NOT TO USE SUNSCREEN by the redcross per the liscensing dept. Has everyone been advised of this? I'm surprised Chrystal didn't bring this up since she knows the rules/regs like the back of her hand. Why wouldn't she bring it up right away?

This tells me that must be a true statement then and one I find really interesting. If no one disputes it, why is everyone in CA appling sunscreen if its against the regulations in CA?
Willow 07:05 AM 04-17-2013
No one jumped all over Mom2Many for saying she was told NOT TO USE SUNSCREEN by the redcross per the liscensing dept. Has everyone been advised of this? I'm surprised Chrystal didn't bring this up since she knows the rules/regs like the back of her hand. Why wouldn't she bring it up right away?

This tells me that must be a true statement then and one I find really interesting. If no one disputes it, why is everyone in CA appling sunscreen if its against the regulations in CA?
Not sure if you quoted me by accident? I didn't quote mom2many, I cannot even see her posts lol

Was only referencing Star and that one post there
Crystal 07:10 AM 04-17-2013

Couldt't have said it better myself.
sharlan 07:14 AM 04-17-2013

Applying sunscreen in CA is not against the regs. Nor do we, as FCCH have to have written permission to do it. Centers must have permission per title 22, but daycare homes do not.

I was told by my analyst last summer that it was a nice thing to have, but NOT MANDATORY. I have it because I was told here that it was required and that I had to have it recorded every time I used it. The person who told me that was wrong.

I have been given so much bad information during the mandatory classes. I quickly learned to think for myself and question.
Country Kids 07:22 AM 04-17-2013
Applying sunscreen in CA is not against the regs. Nor do we, as FCCH have to have written permission to do it. Centers must have permission per title 22, but daycare homes do not.

I was told by my analyst last summer that it was a nice thing to have, but NOT MANDATORY. I have it because I was told here that it was required and that I had to have it recorded every time I used it. The person who told me that was wrong.

I have been given so much bad information during the mandatory classes. I quickly learned to think for myself and question.
What would happen then (just a question) if you put sunscreen on a child/ointment/whatever and there was a reaction. The parent then says, why did you put that on them (you know how parents are) and you have nothing to show they gave you permission-as in signing a form. Isn't that alot of they said, she said if it came down to it. How would you prove anything if nothing is signed.

Also, when a analyst says its a nice thing to have, it sounds to me that, even if its not mandatory, it should be something the provider does to protect themselves and show that yes they did have permission.

This is why I have forms for EVERYTHING even though most of its not required. I'm protecting myself, family and career from a parent and have everything documented that they have signed giving the me/the child permission to do.
Blackcat31 07:25 AM 04-17-2013
I am NOT trying to be rude at all, but I've noticed this several times lately but it is Crystal NOT Chrystal. There is no "H"

I'm sorry if I offended you but my name is VERY similar and it drives me batty when someone spells it incorrectly...especially someone I have "known" for a while
Country Kids 07:37 AM 04-17-2013
Sorry Crystal for the misspelling of your name. I know several that have a H so its just natural.

I have a funny feeling though it wasn't bothering you as you didn't notify me of it. If it was though I do apologize. Also, it could have been done behind the scenes (PM).
Crystal 07:43 AM 04-17-2013

Excuse me, but I did not "jump all over" anyone. I ASKED her to be certain that a reg is a reg before she states that a reg is a reg. I see nothing wrong with that

I didn't bring up that we are not allowed to apply sunscreen because THAT is not accurate either. Why would I state that it is if it isn't? Also, I did not reply to that because I had not read it yet.

My whole point was, if you are going to state something as FACT, please be sure to have your FACTS straight so as not to further confuse the poor California Girls who have to deal with mis-interpreted regs on a regular basis.
Crystal 07:44 AM 04-17-2013
Sorry Crystal for the misspelling of your name. I know several that have a H so its just natural.

I have a funny feeling though it wasn't bothering you as you didn't notify me of it. If it was though I do apologize. Also, it could have been done behind the scenes (PM).
Haha! People do it ALL the time. One provider whom I have known for 13 years and HAS been corrected about the misspelling STILL does it.
youretooloud 07:46 AM 04-17-2013
LOL.. I still say asprin. I could mean vicodin, and still say asprin.

I say Kleenex too, everybody else says "Tissues".
mom2many 07:48 AM 04-17-2013

Exactly! When I am taking a class that is MANDATED by the state, I would assume that they are giving me "correct and up to date info." However, over the years I have found that is definitely NOT the case!

I cannot even trust Licensing to give consistent answers. In Starbursts defense with being new and receiving current info from ECE instructors...one would naturally assume they are up to date and 100% accurate on the info they are giving out! If I was new, I would do the same! It's only because I have been at this for decades & witnessed way too many inconsistencies and way too many "personal" interpretations that I now question what is "FACT" and what is not!
Starburst 08:18 AM 04-17-2013
Couldt't have said it better myself.
Well it's not exactly easy to say "okay I made a mistake" when something had already been addressed and then everyone is jumping on the band wagon of "lets just all gang up on the newbie!"

And I always feel like I have to defend my self here not only on facts but my own opinions or thoughts that have nothing to do with regulations.

and like I said it's not like it was the other way around where I said you don't need it and you legally do- that would have been bad. And yes I do think some standards are too low and I would like my program to be held to higher standards than just the bare minimum.
Crystal 09:27 AM 04-17-2013
Well it's not exactly easy to say "okay I made a mistake" when something had already been addressed and then everyone is jumping on the band wagon of "lets just all gang up on the newbie!"

And I always feel like I have to defend my self here not only on facts but my own opinions or thoughts that have nothing to do with regulations.

and like I said it's not like it was the other way around where I said you don't need it and you legally do- that would have been bad. And yes I do think some standards are too low and I would like my program to be held to higher standards than just the bare minimum.
Sure it's easy. I have done it myself. I misquoted something about taxes one day. Someone corrected me. I was grateful for the correction, thanked the member and apologized for providing inaccurate information. We are human, we all do it, ya just gotta own it when you do.

No one attacked you here, and thinking you are being ganged up on because you are a newbie is inaccurate. Trust me, I get plowed over LOTS and have been here for years

I simply asked that you please be sure to provide accurate info re. regs. We get enough confusion in the state of Ca., we don't need more And, really, it is a HUGE pet peeve of mine, which is why I said anything in the first place.

Now, my second post in response to Country Kids was a little harsh, but that was directed at HER, not you....she has been "challenging me" on a few issues so I responded to her in a harsh tone because she is questioning me on things/making remarks that are really uncalled for and seem to be intentionally trying to fan some flames
Play Care 11:18 AM 04-17-2013

I think the way mom2many worded her post is why. She didn't come across saying that it was in fact a reg, just that she had been told that. At least that's how I read it. Had she said "This is the reg because this was what I was told" I think it would have been different. She is following what she was told "just in case" and I can't say I blame her.

I get the feeling (and I could be wrong) that perhaps Star's first language isn't English. If it is, then I apologize, but the "tone" of her posts sees more like a ESL.
Cradle2crayons 11:32 AM 04-17-2013
No one jumped all over Mom2Many for saying she was told NOT TO USE SUNSCREEN by the redcross per the liscensing dept. Has everyone been advised of this?

Actually I questioned this several posts up from here?? Not attacking anyone, just questioning
canadiancare 11:54 AM 04-17-2013
I hate it when you answer a thread and find out you're in the middle of a heated discussion.
Cradle2crayons 12:00 PM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
I hate it when you answer a thread and find out you're in the middle of a heated discussion.
That happened to me yesterday on this same thread lol.. Matter of fact it was so heated, no one apparently even saw my comment from yesterday hahaha..

So many kind of posted at one time and I got lost in the heated part until I saw it much later lol
Starburst 12:14 PM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I think the way mom2many worded her post is why. She didn't come across saying that it was in fact a reg, just that she had been told that. At least that's how I read it. Had she said "This is the reg because this was what I was told" I think it would have been different. She is following what she was told "just in case" and I can't say I blame her.

I get the feeling (and I could be wrong) that perhaps Star's first language isn't English. If it is, then I apologize, but the "tone" of her posts sees more like a ESL.
Actually English is my first and only language and I have always gotten A's in English classes (and always scored in the proficancy range on the English portion of state tests), so IDK what you mean by my tone seems ESL.

Maybe I misunderstood some of what was said and maybe it was a regional thing they are trying to in force instead of a state regulation. This was all from classes I took last semester and I was taking 6 CD classes at once so maybe some of the information got a little mixed up (especially because 3 of those classes were all with the same teacher).
Country Kids 01:00 PM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Actually I questioned this several posts up from here?? Not attacking anyone, just questioning
Sorry!!! It was early and now looking back I saw it-
Cradle2crayons 01:05 PM 04-17-2013
Sorry!!! It was early and now looking back I saw it-
No problem bob!! I almost wondered why nobody flamed me for my comment (not that I'd care lol) but I'm pretty to the point lol...

Anything I'm told that I know directly affects the health and safety of a child like not applying sunblock I have an issue with. In Mississippi, it's seen as neglect. And as a cancer survivor because my parents didn't care or know better..... Wee don't get me started lol
Country Kids 01:14 PM 04-17-2013
If you are receiving wrong information from liscensing, classes you take, and other providers (who have heard it first hand) who do you believe in the end.

Two people on here have said that in CA, they were told certain things by teachers of required classes that were per regulations/liscensing. This actually sounds like it might happen alot in CA. Not picking on you guys but it seems there have been several posts in other threads about this.

Then you have licensing that tell you different thing. Believe me, I have had that happen and the person was dumbfounded when they found out they told me two different things on two visits. Yea me for remembering and asking. Our licensor is known to have different rules per house almost. What goes for one house doesn't go for another. We have questioned it for years and nothing changes. I wonder if that could be the case here.

We have things going on in our state that even the CCR&R's were unaware of and of course this even causes more confusion. So if no one can relay the same information, how are we suppose to keep everything in check!
Cradle2crayons 01:19 PM 04-17-2013
Good point, that's one reason I'm glad I don't have to deal with all that. I simply get permission for everything... And I do mean everything. I even have a potty training form, because I'm not going to be the only one potty training a child. I learned years ago that documentation is the difference between not only saving a life, but my career. I saw it happen to a fellow nurse. She lost her license because of it. That's one reason I'm a little on the crazy side when it comes to permission.
Blackcat31 01:19 PM 04-17-2013
I stay up to date on my state's licensing rules, regulations and changes by being on the e-mail list for the Department of Health and Human Services for the state.

I receive the same notices and updates as the child care licensors and social workers do and at the same time.

Our state also makes ALL changes and rules available on the state's DHS web-site so providers and parents can access that info any time they wish.

Licensors interpret things differently and what one licensor from one county believes to be true could be completely different than another county.

What I personally do to remedy that issue is to make sure I stay in close contact with my licensor, e-mail her if and when I have questions and get IN WRITING from her anything that may be questioned later.

Like most things in child care, communication and documentation is VERY important.
Crystal 01:22 PM 04-17-2013
If you are receiving wrong information from liscensing, classes you take, and other providers (who have heard it first hand) who do you believe in the end.

Two people on here have said that in CA, they were told certain things by teachers of required classes that were per regulations/liscensing. This actually sounds like it might happen alot in CA. Not picking on you guys but it seems there have been several posts in other threads about this.

Then you have licensing that tell you different thing. Believe me, I have had that happen and the person was dumbfounded when they found out they told me two different things on two visits. Yea me for remembering and asking. Our licensor is known to have different rules per house almost. What goes for one house doesn't go for another. We have questioned it for years and nothing changes. I wonder if that could be the case here.

We have things going on in our state that even the CCR&R's were unaware of and of course this even causes more confusion. So if no one can relay the same information, how are we suppose to keep everything in check!
I don't go by what anyone "says" - I go by what is WRITTEN in the regulations. Even if it was a licensor....if they tried to give me a citation for something, they better show me where it is in writing that I am violating a LAW. Otherwise, there'd be a lawsuit.
Country Kids 01:27 PM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Good point, that's one reason I'm glad I don't have to deal with all that. I simply get permission for everything... And I do mean everything. I even have a potty training form, because I'm not going to be the only one potty training a child. I learned years ago that documentation is the difference between not only saving a life, but my career. I saw it happen to a fellow nurse. She lost her license because of it. That's one reason I'm a little on the crazy side when it comes to permission.
I actually have a form for them to use the play equipment and to be able to participate in all activities that we do inside and in the yard!

I also have learned to cover myself on everything.

My "water" permission form allows water tables, sprinklers, water bottles, and even to bath/shower the child if necessary.

When I had my inspection, they were very impressed with all the forms I have for my parents to fill out. They said its better to have every form possible filled out, instead of looking back and saying "I wish I had".
Cradle2crayons 01:28 PM 04-17-2013
I actually have a form for them to use the play equipment and to be able to participate in all activities that we do inside and in the yard!

I also have learned to cover myself on everything.

My "water" permission form allows water tables, sprinklers, water bottles, and even to bath/shower the child if necessary.

When I had my inspection, they were very impressed with all the forms I have for my parents to fill out. They said its better to have every form possible filled out, instead of looking back and saying "I wish I had".
Amen!!!
Country Kids 01:35 PM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I stay up to date on my state's licensing rules, regulations and changes by being on the e-mail list for the Department of Health and Human Services for the state.

I receive the same notices and updates as the child care licensors and social workers do and at the same time.

Our state also makes ALL changes and rules available on the state's DHS web-site so providers and parents can access that info any time they wish.

Licensors interpret things differently and what one licensor from one county believes to be true could be completely different than another county.

What I personally do to remedy that issue is to make sure I stay in close contact with my licensor, e-mail her if and when I have questions and get IN WRITING from her anything that may be questioned later.

Like most things in child care, communication and documentation is VERY important.
I received an email on the proposed rule changes for our state (54 of them) but none of the CCR&R's did. I found that very odd that with that many proposed changes they wouldn't notify the CCR&R's!!!

Then they were having meetings/forums on it and once again our CCR&R knew nothing about it. That I find scary, if the CCR&R's aren't being notified, why aren't they since they are really our go to's.

We did have the whole spray on sunscree change last summer and it was no spray on sunscreen-none. Received my new rules/reg book, yep there it was. Was looking the other day for something on line with our rules/regs, it has now been changed to no Aerosol spray but just last summer it didn't say that.
I received nothing on this-

Thats what I don't like-changes that we aren't being made aware of.
Play Care 02:22 PM 04-17-2013
Actually English is my first and only language and I have always gotten A's in English classes (and always scored in the proficancy range on the English portion of state tests), so IDK what you mean by my tone seems ESL.

Maybe I misunderstood some of what was said and maybe it was a regional thing they are trying to in force instead of a state regulation. This was all from classes I took last semester and I was taking 6 CD classes at once so maybe some of the information got a little mixed up (especially because 3 of those classes were all with the same teacher).
Um yeah, well, this is awkward.
Crystal 02:26 PM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Um yeah, well, this is awkward.
LOL!!!

I didn't think you meant it to offend her, hopefully she didn't either.
Blackcat31 02:27 PM 04-17-2013
I received an email on the proposed rule changes for our state (54 of them) but none of the CCR&R's did. I found that very odd that with that many proposed changes they wouldn't notify the CCR&R's!!!

Then they were having meetings/forums on it and once again our CCR&R knew nothing about it. That I find scary, if the CCR&R's aren't being notified, why aren't they since they are really our go to's.

We did have the whole spray on sunscree change last summer and it was no spray on sunscreen-none. Received my new rules/reg book, yep there it was. Was looking the other day for something on line with our rules/regs, it has now been changed to no Aerosol spray but just last summer it didn't say that.
I received nothing on this-

Thats what I don't like-changes that we aren't being made aware of.
I don't know about where you are at but here, the CCR&R is NOT the "go-to" for child care rules and regulations.

I've NEVER discussed rules/regs with anyone at CCR&R before.

I've had contact with the local CCR&R in my area twice since I opened.

Once to apply for the T.E.A.C.H. grant when in college and once to enroll in an on-line course to renew my CDA.

Other than that, I have no contact or connection with the CCR&R.

I suppose like everything else in this field, their role is different depending on your area and/or state.

I give out their phone number though for people calling looking for child care as I do know they keep a list of licensed providers and give out that list when someone asks.
Country Kids 02:31 PM 04-17-2013
I don't go by what anyone "says" - I go by what is WRITTEN in the regulations. Even if it was a licensor....if they tried to give me a citation for something, they better show me where it is in writing that I am violating a LAW. Otherwise, there'd be a lawsuit.
Oh right now we have some huge things going on in our state:

citations for only having 11 bandaids in the first aid kit-no regs

citations for relaying messages to parents via/personal ipads-no regs

being told/citations possibly? (by licensors) that parents have to have background checks if on property more then 15 minutes.-no regs

These are issues providers are having and the Unions are having to fight as the licensors are not backing down from what I am reading.

Its a big mess out there right now!
Crystal 02:38 PM 04-17-2013
Oh right now we have some huge things going on in our state:

citations for only having 11 bandaids in the first aid kit-no regs

citations for relaying messages to parents via/personal ipads-no regs

being told/citations possibly? (by licensors) that parents have to have background checks if on property more then 15 minutes.-no regs

These are issues providers are having and the Unions are having to fight as the licensors are not backing down from what I am reading.

Its a big mess out there right now!
I would fight it tooth and nail if it wasn't clearly defined, in writing, in the code. No judge in America is going to find a provider guilty if it isn't a law.
Crystal 02:38 PM 04-17-2013
I don't know about where you are at but here, the CCR&R is NOT the "go-to" for child care rules and regulations.

Once to apply for the T.E.A.C.H. grant when in college and once to enroll in an on-line course to renew my CDA.

I suppose like everything else in this field, their role is different depending on your area and/or state.

I give out their phone number though for people calling looking for child care as I do know they keep a list of licensed providers and give out that list when someone asks.
Same here.
mom2many 03:53 PM 04-17-2013
I would fight it tooth and nail if it wasn't clearly defined, in writing, in the code. No judge in America is going to find a provider guilty if it isn't a law.
However, if you are cited for something-the process is to file an appeal. How do you sue a licensing agency? I would love to see how that works!

The problem that I have found is that in CA regs Title 22 it does not clearly define anything in black and white print and leaves too much up to an individual's interpretation and discretion.

Licensing analysts cannot even agree on specific things and time and time again, I have heard about providers getting cited for things that have been okay in the past with others, but now someone finds it a problem.

For example, what is "inaccessible" to one person, may not be "inaccessible" to another. I have gone back and forth with being told contradictory things and unfortunately I have had half a dozen different analysts over the years who cannot agree on anything! This makes it darn near impossible to follow whatever the whim of the moment may be!
sharlan 04:00 PM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by mom2many:
However, if you are cited for something-the process is to file an appeal. How do you sue a licensing agency? I would love to see how that works!

The problem that I have found is that in CA regs Title 22 it does not clearly define anything in black and white print and leaves too much up to an individual's interpretation and discretion.

Licensing analysts cannot even agree on specific things and time and time again, I have heard about providers getting cited for things that have been okay in the past with others, but now someone finds it a problem.

For example, what is "inaccessible" to one person, may not be "inaccessible" to another. I have gone back and forth with being told contradictory things and unfortunately I have had half a dozen different analysts over the years who cannot agree on anything! This makes it darn near impossible to follow whatever the whim of the moment may be!
Welcome to CA DSS-CCLD.
Country Kids 04:06 PM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by mom2many:

Our licensor never said anything about me about having to have mulch/chips/ anything like that under the swings/play structures. She has told another provider every single time she goes there (the person has been in childcare 33 years as a provider) that you have to have 6 inches of mulch under swings/playstructures and even measures for it!!!!

Two years ago she said I had to have something for my bathroom or something like that. I said, last time you were here you said that was ok. Oh, I would never ok that was the reply. She went back through my paperwork she had and yes, it had been ok'd and signed off with her signature. That discussion was quickly ended and we moved on to something else.

When I was reading CA Title 22 on line, I didn't even see anything for sunscreen but I could totally have missed it. It was not an easy document to read.
mom2many 04:09 PM 04-17-2013
Welcome to CA DSS-CCLD.
Yes, a lot has changed and it seems that the longer I am in this business, the more convoluted things become! The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing...I think this is why QRIS scares me so much!
Country Kids 04:20 PM 04-17-2013

Our QRIS advisory is at CCR&R, all classes/trainings, providers organizations, conferences, provider night outs, have something it seems to do with CCR&R.
They will advice us of grants, important information (except proposed rules), scholarships that are available. We even had our Christmas party at the CCR&R advisors house.

Our licensor is about 100 miles away, 2 counties away and hard to get ahold of. Even our food program is about 150 miles away and I always have to leave messages or have the secretary will try and answer my question because they are hardly ever in. When they come here to do inspections they actually stay several nights so they can get them done and over with at once.

I'm very thankful for our CCR&R!
mom2many 04:30 PM 04-17-2013
Our licensor never said anything about me about having to have mulch/chips/ anything like that under the swings/play structures. She has told another provider every single time she goes there (the person has been in childcare 33 years as a provider) that you have to have 6 inches of mulch under swings/playstructures and even measures for it!!!!

Two years ago she said I had to have something for my bathroom or something like that. I said, last time you were here you said that was ok. Oh, I would never ok that was the reply. She went back through my paperwork she had and yes, it had been ok'd and signed off with her signature. That discussion was quickly ended and we moved on to something else.

When I was reading CA Title 22 on line, I didn't even see anything for sunscreen but I could totally have missed it. It was not an easy document to read.
I never saw it in writing either. However, the instructor stated that we were no longer allowed to do it per licensing regs.

I was never one to question authority and when a teacher mandated by the State of CA to teach a class says, "This is a new policy per licensing regs", I trusted them to know what they were talking about and took it at face value.

It is horrible trying to deal with so many MAJOR inconsistencies in policies/regs and I think this is my biggest grievance with licensing as a whole!
Crystal 04:57 PM 04-17-2013
This is from a 2011 licensing update.....so far I have not found anything more current:

Sun
Avoiding the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., when the sun’s rays are the strongest. Try to schedule outdoor activities for other times of the day or limit the amount of outdoor time during these peak periods. Encouraging parents to dress their children in protective clothing such as a, long-sleeved shirt, pants, a wide-brimmed hat, and sunglasses when possible. Upon the request and approval of the parent, apply a sunscreen with a rating of SPF 15 or higher. Apply sunscreen liberally 30 minutes before going outdoors and reapply about every two hours. Use even on cloudy days since ultraviolet rays can penetrate cloud cover.
Note: Title 22 licensing regulations, Section 101226(e) (4), Health-Related Services, requires Child Care Centers (CCCs) to obtain written approval or instructions from parents prior to administering non-prescription medication to children in care. Sunscreen is considered a non-prescription medication. The approval or instructions must be maintained in the child’s file. It is recommended that the same precautions be followed for Family Child Care Homes (FCCHs).Using caution near water and sand as they reflect the damaging rays of the sun, which can increase the chance of sunburn.
If a
sharlan 05:16 PM 04-17-2013
There is a big difference between REQUIRED and RECOMMENDED.
sharlan 05:17 PM 04-17-2013
This is from a 2011 licensing update.....so far I have not found anything more current:

Sun
Avoiding the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., when the sun’s rays are the strongest. Try to schedule outdoor activities for other times of the day or limit the amount of outdoor time during these peak periods. Encouraging parents to dress their children in protective clothing such as a, long-sleeved shirt, pants, a wide-brimmed hat, and sunglasses when possible. Upon the request and approval of the parent, apply a sunscreen with a rating of SPF 15 or higher. Apply sunscreen liberally 30 minutes before going outdoors and reapply about every two hours. Use even on cloudy days since ultraviolet rays can penetrate cloud cover.
Note: Title 22 licensing regulations, Section 101226(e) (4), Health-Related Services, requires Child Care Centers (CCCs) to obtain written approval or instructions from parents prior to administering non-prescription medication to children in care. Sunscreen is considered a non-prescription medication. The approval or instructions must be maintained in the child’s file. It is recommended that the same precautions be followed for Family Child Care Homes (FCCHs).Using caution near water and sand as they reflect the damaging rays of the sun, which can increase the chance of sunburn.
If a
That is exactly what I posted 66 posts ago.
Crystal 05:18 PM 04-17-2013
haha! think that would have ended the debate, huh?
Cradle2crayons 07:29 PM 04-17-2013
I don't make it a habit of questioning authority but if someone in authority says "your kids are required so and so outside time and sunblock needs to be applied 30 momutes before outside time but oh providers can't apply it" then YES, heck YES I would question it.... That's a huge problem. At that point I would have simply said " wow that's interesting, can I get a copy of that regulation" so if that's called questioning authority, then YES, I do and I don't have a problem admitting it.
Tags:health, safety, sunscreen
Reply Up