Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Damage control after a disgruntled ex employee
Unregistered 12:29 AM 08-21-2014
We have a case of a disgruntled ex employee at my center. She has slandered us (all 120% false info!!) to parents and prospective clients in the parking lot of the center and has costs us clients. The whole situation is wierd in that she had no real reason to even be disgruntled, it ends up she must just have mental or emotional health issues that we cannot control. Basically, she is unstable and acting like a 5 year old (she is 40!!).

Anyone have any advice on damage control? ? You would think people would realize she has issues and not believe her, but with the care of someone's children it's another story--while I am disappointed that the loyal customers even gave her rants any consideration at all, I really don't blame the prospective clients who didn't know us.

I need some ideas on what to say to the moms she spoke to tomorrow! I have to be careful what I say---if I say anything about the ex employee having "mental issues" they will doubt our screening process and lose trust in us.

I also thought of maybe issuing a brief statement on our Facebook page acknowledging the "unfortunate recent events" and wishing she "gets the help she needs"--what do you think? Do it or just let it go? She really upset staff too who had been close to her.

Part of me wants to ruin this girl's life and call her new boss (we actually had given her a reference for another position, she was to move away, and she was actually a good employee until she went off the deep end). But I realize we just need to move on.
Laurel 03:45 AM 08-21-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
We have a case of a disgruntled ex employee at my center. She has slandered us (all 120% false info!!) to parents and prospective clients in the parking lot of the center and has costs us clients. The whole situation is wierd in that she had no real reason to even be disgruntled, it ends up she must just have mental or emotional health issues that we cannot control. Basically, she is unstable and acting like a 5 year old (she is 40!!).

Anyone have any advice on damage control? ? You would think people would realize she has issues and not believe her, but with the care of someone's children it's another story--while I am disappointed that the loyal customers even gave her rants any consideration at all, I really don't blame the prospective clients who didn't know us.

I need some ideas on what to say to the moms she spoke to tomorrow! I have to be careful what I say---if I say anything about the ex employee having "mental issues" they will doubt our screening process and lose trust in us.

I also thought of maybe issuing a brief statement on our Facebook page acknowledging the "unfortunate recent events" and wishing she "gets the help she needs"--what do you think? Do it or just let it go? She really upset staff too who had been close to her.

Part of me wants to ruin this girl's life and call her new boss (we actually had given her a reference for another position, she was to move away, and she was actually a good employee until she went off the deep end). But I realize we just need to move on.
Maybe issue a statement such as: As you know, we are changing staff at ABC Daycare. If you have any concerns about any of our routines or policies, please don't hesitate to discuss them with our director personally. She would be happy to talk with you. Thank you.

Or something like that... There is NO way I'd even allude to any mental problems or help she might need. I wouldn't even allude to her in particular. Sounds risky and not professional.

Laurel
Laurel 03:47 AM 08-21-2014
P.S. If it gets worse I wonder if you could get a restraining order so she couldn't be on the property legally.
Cat Herder 04:33 AM 08-21-2014
I'd recommend staying out of it.

When you start trashing her or answering to rumored (2nd hand info) conversations you make yourself look just as childish.

She may feel her complaints are valid. You may not. Parents may or may not... So be it. Let it filter out problem families for you.

If "the lady doth protest too much" (shameless Hamlet reference) the scale may tip in her favor.

There is a newish Mnemonic that helps in situations where our emotions run higher than our logic. Do not JADE.

J: Justify
A: Argue
D: Defend
E: Explain

(AKA: Don't feed the Troll)
KiddieCahoots 04:57 AM 08-21-2014
Good advice already.

Drama.....drama.....drama....keep it all at bay.

People are able to figure things out on their own, and in the end you'll look and be more professional.
TwinKristi 01:40 PM 08-21-2014
Do NOT elude to her having mental issues. A) if she does that's only going to piss her off. B) if she doesn't that could be considered slander and you'd set yourself up for a defamation suit C) she was working at your center and you're saying she's mentally ill. Parents may not think very highly of a center that doesn't screen for crazies before throwing them into a room with several young children.

If you want to talk to parents who've left, do so privately and with each family individually. It would take quite a bit for me as a parent to believe someone who was perhaps disgruntled and lying. Perhaps there may be some truth to what she's saying but not as elaborate or in the same context?

If you truly are concern about the loss of business and your reputation and she is 120% lying, then get a restraining order, send a cease and desist order, get a lawyer and sue her for defamation and lost business. But if there is any stretch of the imagination that she's being truthful, you don't want to even go there and risk losing all your clients.

Also, you may want to have a staff meeting after hours and address the things she's saying and making sure they're not true. Also, she or an upset parent may turn you into licensing so you may want to give them a heads up as well.
Reply Up