Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daycare Provider Leaving The Home On Personal Business
jellybean 01:41 PM 05-03-2011
Hello:

My daughter attends an in-home daycare run by a licensed woman with two assistants. The owner has a toddler of her own. There are 10-12 kids there, ages 6 months to 4 years.

Today the owner sent the parents an email letting us know that she is going to be taking a swim class with her toddler two mornings a week. The 30-minute swim class is in a neighboring town, a 10-minute drive away, so I figure if she hurries she might be gone for only 90 minutes (we all know that getting a toddler in and out of the car, in and out of a swimsuit and the pool, rinsing and drying, etc., is not a snap-snap operation).

That will leave only 2 people in charge of a room full of infants and toddlers; I've checked the California daycare licensing requirements and this seems to violate the adult-to-child ratio (there are at least three infants there, and a lot of sub-2-year-olds). That is one problem. The other one is that neither of the assistants speaks passable English; they are Spanish speakers. My Spanish is no better than their English, so I rely on the (trilingual) owner to tell me what went on during the day, to call me when my child is sick, etc. So if an emergency were to arise, they could not call me and easily communicate what was going on. They would have to call the owner to translate -- but she will be in a pool, where even if she hears the phone, she's not going to be able to respond quickly.

I feel like this is an irresponsible decision on the part of the owner, who is, after all, being paid (by me and others) to be present, work full time and take care of the most important people in most of our lives. I don't want to email or call other parents at the daycare and ask their opinions because I don't want to be fomenting some kind of riot -- they can decide for themselves if they're comfortable with this. But I do want other parents' input.

What would you do? Am I being a spazz? Anyone ever encountered a similar situation? Should I be fine with her using her "workday" to come and go, and take care of personal business?
Unregistered 03:59 PM 05-03-2011
But - she DID notify you - some would not. (I answered a temp ad for a DCP whose parents did NOT know she was out.) Ask her how she plans to address your concerns AFTER you have lined up an alternative. The baseline is this - are you comfortable with these people caring for your child alone. If not-go now..
MyAngels 04:22 PM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by jellybean:
Hello:

My daughter attends an in-home daycare run by a licensed woman with two assistants. The owner has a toddler of her own. There are 10-12 kids there, ages 6 months to 4 years.

Today the owner sent the parents an email letting us know that she is going to be taking a swim class with her toddler two mornings a week. The 30-minute swim class is in a neighboring town, a 10-minute drive away, so I figure if she hurries she might be gone for only 90 minutes (we all know that getting a toddler in and out of the car, in and out of a swimsuit and the pool, rinsing and drying, etc., is not a snap-snap operation).

That will leave only 2 people in charge of a room full of infants and toddlers; I've checked the California daycare licensing requirements and this seems to violate the adult-to-child ratio (there are at least three infants there, and a lot of sub-2-year-olds). That is one problem. The other one is that neither of the assistants speaks passable English; they are Spanish speakers. My Spanish is no better than their English, so I rely on the (trilingual) owner to tell me what went on during the day, to call me when my child is sick, etc. So if an emergency were to arise, they could not call me and easily communicate what was going on. They would have to call the owner to translate -- but she will be in a pool, where even if she hears the phone, she's not going to be able to respond quickly.

I feel like this is an irresponsible decision on the part of the owner, who is, after all, being paid (by me and others) to be present, work full time and take care of the most important people in most of our lives. I don't want to email or call other parents at the daycare and ask their opinions because I don't want to be fomenting some kind of riot -- they can decide for themselves if they're comfortable with this. But I do want other parents' input.

What would you do? Am I being a spazz? Anyone ever encountered a similar situation? Should I be fine with her using her "workday" to come and go, and take care of personal business?
It's my opinion that one of the most important things in the relationship with your provider is communication. I would ask for a time to sit down, without the children present if need be, and have a discussion with her about your concerns. If they are not addressed to your satisfaction, then I would begin looking for a new provider that can meet your needs.
Abigail 06:44 PM 05-03-2011
It seems like a few variables come into play.....you really seemed focused on the lack of communication because of language barriers. If you're not able to communicate in the same language and understand what your provider (you have multiple providers, not just the owner) is trying to communicate to you about then you need to find care where you are able to easily understand each other.

The second thing I see is that you expect the owner to be there at all times. I work in a facility where we have the owner and three childcare workers including myself. I don't expect the owner to put in overtime and stay all day from open to close. That is why other provider's are present.

Another thing I completely understand is your concern for ratio. It's in the morning right? Do you know for a fact the ages of the children and what times they arrive and what days of the week they attend? I find it completely acceptable for a provider who has other employees to leave for a bit to tend to her own children as well as long as she is within ratio requirements.

Large Family Child Care – License for 12
The maximum number of children for whom
care may be provided, with an assistant
present, in a large family child care licensed
for 12, including children under age 10 who
live in the licensee's home and/or the
assistant’s children , is:
* Twelve children, no more than four of
whom may be infants

WDW 07:05 PM 05-03-2011
I (as a mother and an inhome provider) understand your concerns. I see two sides. One, I completely understand your concerns about the language barrier, and the ratios of children. Two, as a provider, we work long hours, with no breaks.. my day is 7:00 to 5:15 pm with kids, which means I am tied to my house, unable to go anywhere, no lunch break, etc. (I have no assistants, and watch 6 children, plus 2 before and after school). So it is nearly impossible to do anything... and as a mother I understand the desires to do things with our children as well. I would guess in your providers mind, she is doing a favor by having the assistants and remaining open, vs. closing for those hours and putting you in a position of no childcare. My best advice is to sit down and talk to her about your concerns.... and if you don't feel that your child is safe, then you should probably arrange for back up care for those days. I know it's inconvenient, but it would help you feel comfortable.
daycare 07:11 PM 05-03-2011
First off I'm also in CA and she is not violating any laws, unless non of her assistance are CPR first aid cert an health and safety as well as finger prints and neg TB test on file. In CA the provider may leave the house 20% of the time the DC operates.

I hear your concern about language barrier and I would also be concerned.
I would not want to be in that situation
You should talk to her first to see how she will care for this matter. Don't blow steam just yet.
I hope it gets resolved
MsMe 09:01 PM 05-03-2011
I completly understand your concern about the language barrier and I would not feel comfortable with no English speaking provider (but also keep in mind they would be able to contact emergency services if needed).

I also think it is unreasonable for the provider to be present at ALL times if you never want a disruption in care.

You need to communicate with her open and honest.
QualiTcare 05:58 AM 05-04-2011
ugh. no way, jose.

the whole scenario annoys me.
youretooloud 06:59 AM 05-04-2011
You guys obviously have good communication.

I would let her know your concerns and ask her all the "what ifs", and honestly.... I'd just see how it goes. Two days a week for under two hours, with two ladies. I personally think it will be fine.

You are not being a spaz though. Your concerns are very real and normal. A language barrier is frustrating. You want to be able to talk to your caregivers. What if something bad happened to YOU? You want to call the providers and have them understand you. What if your area had some natural disaster? You want to know where your kids are, and you'd like someone who can explain where they are to you without a big communication gap.

But, without that communication problem, I think the rest of the situation will be fine. I think it's worth a try if you trust the other two ladies.

You do need to discuss your concerns with her though.
AnythingsPossible 07:34 AM 05-04-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
It's my opinion that one of the most important things in the relationship with your provider is communication. I would ask for a time to sit down, without the children present if need be, and have a discussion with her about your concerns. If they are not addressed to your satisfaction, then I would begin looking for a new provider that can meet your needs.
Ditto this exactly. If you approach it in a non-confrontational manner and let her know your issues, she should be open to discussing them with you. Her response will either make you comfortable with the situation or steer you to finding new care for your little one!
Unregistered 10:34 AM 05-04-2011
I personally think it's unacceptable to have non english speaking assistants in a daycare setting where all of the children are english speaking (primary language). Most importantly, non english speaking teachers aren't going to be able to communicate appropriately to the children or emergency responders if there's an emergency. Also, children learn speech from adults and if the teachers can't speak english, I believe the children are at greater risk to develop speech problems or communication problems. On the other hand, I prefer teachers who are at least bilingual - my child is learning Spanish - but only if the teacher's original primary language is english. There are just too many ways children can pick up incorrect speech patterns and habits from those that don't speak english as primary language. I've worked with many people whose original primary wasn't english and they still speak incorrectly - using the wrong words and wrong phrases and put sentences together wrong. It makes it very hard to communicate with them.
momatheart 04:43 PM 05-04-2011
Am I seeing this clearly what seems to me is that you are really bothered by the non English speaking caregivers especially in an emergy sitation. Now if they could speak English would you be as concerned?
Mom_of_two 06:44 PM 05-04-2011
I am a provider and mom of two, one and three years. My oldest was in daycare til age two. I would not at all be comfortable with that situation! I will eventually drive my girls to school with the bunch, but that is a necessity. My girls will do swimming on the weekends, like most other 'two parents that work' families. the language barrier would be a huge concern, but also would be slightly put off that the provider is choosing to do extra=curricular activities during her workday. To me that is very different than kids doctor appointments, etc.
youretooloud 07:45 PM 05-04-2011
Originally Posted by Mom_of_two:
I am a provider and mom of two, one and three years. My oldest was in daycare til age two. I would not at all be comfortable with that situation! I will eventually drive my girls to school with the bunch, but that is a necessity. My girls will do swimming on the weekends, like most other 'two parents that work' families. the language barrier would be a huge concern, but also would be slightly put off that the provider is choosing to do extra=curricular activities during her workday. To me that is very different than kids doctor appointments, etc.
I'll admit, I wouldn't be comfortable LEAVING my daycare twice a week for 90 minutes. I would make arrangements for my own child's classes to be in the evenings after work.
cheerfuldom 09:12 AM 05-05-2011
I have an assistant and I do run errands and leave the home about half the time that she is here. Thats the whole point of having an assistant, so that I can actually get a break without that being a problem for the DC parents. Not every thing is available in the evenings. But if I was the OP, I would certainly check on the ratio regulations. I would also be concerned about how much English the assistants actually know. Are they able to do their job completely? Instruct the kids? Handle phone calls? etc?
momofsix 12:38 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I have an assistant and I do run errands and leave the home about half the time that she is here. Thats the whole point of having an assistant, so that I can actually get a break without that being a problem for the DC parents. Not every thing is available in the evenings. But if I was the OP, I would certainly check on the ratio regulations. I would also be concerned about how much English the assistants actually know. Are they able to do their job completely? Instruct the kids? Handle phone calls? etc?
This exactly!
Tags:assistant, language barrier
Reply Up