Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help When Leaving My Job At The Daycare...
Unregistered 08:16 PM 05-08-2011
I am looking for some advice for other teachers that have been in this situation.

I have taught 3.5-4 year olds for the past three months. I love my job. I was looking to do this long-term, and talked with the children about things we would do this summer and always talked about the future as if I were going to be there. Well, I recently found out my hours will be cut dramatically in the summer, and I can't afford to stay at the daycare working part-time. Someone has offered me 40 hours/week (what I was working at my preschool) for the SAME PAY RATE to watch her 1 year old and 7 year old. So, due to money, I am being forced to leave my job. I am giving my 2 weeks notice tomorrow.

Before I came to the job, the children had been through 2 teachers within the past 6 months. I hate to do this to them again. Believe me, if I didn't have to worry about money, I wouldn't leave. It is tearing me up to have to do this to them again.

My question is: how can I make the transition as pain-free as possible? I am already thinking about taking a photo with them and giving it to them along with a letter and my phone number if they ever want to talk to "Mrs Ashley" in the future...but is there anything else I can possibly do?
wdmmom 05:57 AM 05-09-2011
Most centers prohibit contact with families beyond your employment. I would check with that first.

If these kids have been through several teachers already, I don't see this being much of a change. I would talk to your employer and confirm that your hours will be cut drastically and go from there.

Is there any way to work for the new family and keep part time hours at the center?

Will you go back to full time after the summer?
nannyde 06:28 AM 05-09-2011
If I were the owner, I wouldn't want you to give out your private information to the families. I don't know if you signed anything before you started but a wise Center owner will completely prohibit any contact between employees before during and after employment with their client base.

It's a good way to loose business.
Meeko 06:37 AM 05-09-2011
[quote=wdmmom;109719]Most centers prohibit contact with families beyond your employment. I would check with that first"

Your employers may not like it....but unless you signed a contract with them, there is nothing they can legally do to stop you from talking to other people! And I would never have signed a contract that told me who I could or couldn't talk to....especially AFTER I left!!!!!

I worked at a center for 3 years...teaching pre-school. When my last child was born I decided to go back to day care at home. I left and took 3 of my class kids with me! My employers were completely fine with it!! They knew the kids and the parents loved me. Even if they weren't OK with it...there is nothing they could have done. I am free to have my own business and the parents are free to choose who ever they want to care for their kids. I think it would be fine if you want to keep in contact with your "old" kids. I've done it for years and years.
Meeko 06:49 AM 05-09-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
If I were the owner, I wouldn't want you to give out your private information to the families. I don't know if you signed anything before you started but a wise Center owner will completely prohibit any contact between employees before during and after employment with their client base.

It's a good way to loose business.
Wow! This wouldn't fly around here! Most people see each other at church, school and neighborhood functions. I was always spending time with my day care kids when I worked at the center. Not always planned...it just happened.

Our kids would take part in a service projects together on Saturdays....or us women would get together for craft days at church, conferences for church, many of the parents of my class kids would have their kids in the same school activities as mine and so we would chat and sit together in the audience. Several of my pre-school class were also in my Sunday School class at church and their parents were friends of ours! I simply cannot imagine not being able to talk to literally dozens of families that lived in my neighborhood!
nannyde 06:51 AM 05-09-2011
[quote=Meeko60;109727]
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Most centers prohibit contact with families beyond your employment. I would check with that first"

Your employers may not like it....but unless you signed a contract with them, there is nothing they can legally do to stop you from talking to other people! And I would never have signed a contract that told me who I could or couldn't talk to....especially AFTER I left!!!!!

I worked at a center for 3 years...teaching pre-school. When my last child was born I decided to go back to day care at home. I left and took 3 of my class kids with me! My employers were completely fine with it!! They knew the kids and the parents loved me. Even if they weren't OK with it...there is nothing they could have done. I am free to have my own business and the parents are free to choose who ever they want to care for their kids. I think it would be fine if you want to keep in contact with your "old" kids. I've done it for years and years.
Yes you can do as you please if you haven't made an agreement before hiring. I don't know too many centers that would be pleased by loosing three clients especially if they were the three and up age (the money kids) and full time.

The centers I consult with have non competition agreements and confidentiality agreements they have the employees sign before they are hired. It basically says no outside contact with parents before, during, and after employment and you will not use the business to garner business for any business you set up.

It's a common scenario for staff in centers to start their own home day care and want to take kids with them that they already know. It's also common for parents to want to privately hire staff from the center for their private nanny when they get two plus kids and it's cheaper to pay a nanny than it is to pay center rates for an infant and toddler/preK kid/s. They also steal forms and handbooks for their own business (intellectual property that costs the center time and money to create). This can be very costly to a centers bottom line.

In this day and age it's even harder for centers to keep reign on their business and outside contact with clients. Staff having cell phones with internet access and private phone numbers can lead to a LOT of conflict in the center. You can end up having your classrooms on Facebook and Myspace. You can have clients privately contacting workers to work around policies especially early/late arrivals and SICK care and communicable disease care. You can have transportation agreements between clients and staff that put you into a gray area liability wise. You can have parents making deals directly with workers instead of the center admin.
childcarebytori 07:03 AM 05-09-2011
I worked at a daycare center for 1.5 years before I left to pursue home daycare. I worked in a 2-year-old room during that whole time and I became very attached to the children and their families.

Two weeks before I left, I wrote a small note to the kids saying I would miss them. Inside the card I placed one of my babysitting magnets that I got for free at VistaPrint and let the parents know I'd be available for babysitting on nights and weekends, or as back-up incase of daycare closings. I had already done babysitting for a handful of the families already as I had given out my card to the new families who arrived into the classroom, but I would miss all of my kids and would love to see them again after I left.

Two of the children from my classroom came to my daycare when I opened up, and I am always packed full when the daycare closes for any reason. I've done babysitting for every single one of my families at least once and I always smile to see my magnet on their fridges. The director of the center knew about me babysitting for the families and she's always been polite when I visit, but I can tell she was upset that two families left with me. There wasn't anything she could do, though, so she just accepted it, I think.

Even if you have only worked there for a short while, I'm sure you will miss them dearly. I would look into pursuing business cards for babysitting and hand them out before you leave. My families, and I'm sure yours, do definitely appreciate it! It's a great way to keep I'm touch.
Meeko 07:04 AM 05-09-2011
[quote=nannyde;109730]
Originally Posted by Meeko60:

Yes you can do as you please if you haven't made an agreement before hiring. I don't know too many centers that would be pleased by loosing three clients especially if they were the three and up age (the money kids) and full time.

The centers I consult with have non competition agreements and confidentiality agreements they have the employees sign before they are hired. It basically says no outside contact with parents before, during, and after employment and you will not use the business to garner business for any business you set up.

It's a common scenario for staff in centers to start their own home day care and want to take kids with them that they already know. It's also common for parents to want to privately hire staff from the center for their private nanny when they get two plus kids and it's cheaper to pay a nanny than it is to pay center rates for an infant and toddler/preK kid/s. They also steal forms and handbooks for their own business (intellectual property that costs the center time and money to create). This can be very costly to a centers bottom line.

In this day and age it's even harder for centers to keep reign on their business and outside contact with clients. Staff having cell phones with internet access and private phone numbers can lead to a LOT of conflict in the center. You can end up having your classrooms on Facebook and Myspace. You can have clients privately contacting workers to work around policies especially early/late arrivals and SICK care and communicable disease care. You can have transportation agreements between clients and staff that put you into a gray area liability wise. You can have parents making deals directly with workers instead of the center admin.
I can see some of the business side of all that...but it still wouldn't work around here. Maybe in a big city. Our communities here are too tied up together in church etc to ever ban people from socializing. We all meet and greet at the grocery store, around town etc. I would never be able to attend any church or school functions if I had been banned from having contact with present or past day care kids, because I am not about to tell my neighbor that my EX employer says I can't socialize with her at the church pot luck...or tell my husband we can't go to dinner with a group of friends because "Bert" has a kid that used to be in my class etc etc. It would alienate the entire area!
Unregistered 07:14 AM 05-09-2011
This is most unfortunate. I agree with the rest of the group that you probably aren't going to be allowed to provide your personal information under your employer's policy. When teachers have left, parents rarely found out in advance. We usually found out through the center after the fact. It was always a major disruption for the children because they really need stability and consistency. It should be obvious to your current employer that what they are doing is just plain wrong for the children - you'll be the 3rd teacher to quit in 6 months? Those poor kids! I think before you leave, you definately should have a discussion with the director at this facility and go to his/her boss if this is a national chain to complain about the turnover and why you are really quitting. This isn't bridge burning - it's an exit interview and you are bringing up valid concerns that other teachers should be bringing up as well. There is no excuse for cutting your hours if the preschool is a full time program.
Meeko 07:38 AM 05-09-2011
Originally Posted by childcarebytori:
I worked at a daycare center for 1.5 years before I left to pursue home daycare. I worked in a 2-year-old room during that whole time and I became very attached to the children and their families.

Two weeks before I left, I wrote a small note to the kids saying I would miss them. Inside the card I placed one of my babysitting magnets that I got for free at VistaPrint and let the parents know I'd be available for babysitting on nights and weekends, or as back-up incase of daycare closings. I had already done babysitting for a handful of the families already as I had given out my card to the new families who arrived into the classroom, but I would miss all of my kids and would love to see them again after I left.

Two of the children from my classroom came to my daycare when I opened up, and I am always packed full when the daycare closes for any reason. I've done babysitting for every single one of my families at least once and I always smile to see my magnet on their fridges. The director of the center knew about me babysitting for the families and she's always been polite when I visit, but I can tell she was upset that two families left with me. There wasn't anything she could do, though, so she just accepted it, I think.

Even if you have only worked there for a short while, I'm sure you will miss them dearly. I would look into pursuing business cards for babysitting and hand them out before you leave. My families, and I'm sure yours, do definitely appreciate it! It's a great way to keep I'm touch.
I am still close with my old employer and pop in to say hi when I get the chance...or I often see her around town. She was sad to lose me when I left and tried to get me to stay...but she knew I wanted to be home with my baby (who is now 14...good grief where does the time go!) of course she wasn't THRILLED to lose the 3 kids to me...but she knows that people have choices and it's nothing to get upset over. She still calls me to ask if I want to come to training classes to get my required hours in etc. No animosity whatsoever. We sat together at the last appreciation dinner that CCRR did for us providers and I just went to her daughters wedding.

I guess that's why I love living here. It's "love your neighbor" and not "Every man for himself" !!!
nannyde 08:16 AM 05-09-2011
[quote=Meeko60;109734]

I can see some of the business side of all that...but it still wouldn't work around here. Maybe in a big city. Our communities here are too tied up together in church etc to ever ban people from socializing. We all meet and greet at the grocery store, around town etc. I would never be able to attend any church or school functions if I had been banned from having contact with present or past day care kids, because I am not about to tell my neighbor that my EX employer says I can't socialize with her at the church pot luck...or tell my husband we can't go to dinner with a group of friends because "Bert" has a kid that used to be in my class etc etc. It would alienate the entire area!
It's not about this: I can't socialize with her at the church pot luck

It's about this: I left and took 3 of my class kids with me!

Of course you can't control people running into each other and having common things like church and baseball. I'm talking about doing BUSINESS with them that is competition to your business and discussing the business of the business. That's what the confidentiality and non-competition agreements are.
melskids 08:38 AM 05-09-2011
when i worked at a center ( and i am in a small close knit town, where everyone knows everyone, goes to church and school together, etc) i still had to sign papers that i wouldnt open a daycare of my own for 1 year after my employment, and that i wouldnt take any of their clients with me.

i dont know if it was legal, or they could persue it, but it was over a year before i opened anyway.....
Meeko 11:26 AM 05-09-2011
I guess things are just different elsewhere!

Parents asked me why I was leaving and what was I going to do? I told them I wanted to stay home with my baby and was going back to doing home day care. Within hours, the parents wanted to know how they could sign up with me. They didn't want to take their chances with a new teacher. Their children loved me. I just can't see myself telling them they don't get to choose! The director told the leaving parents that she would miss them, but that she understood how they felt about me. She wished me well with my new business.

My assistant is my son. But if I had a paid assistant and she decided to leave and took some of my kids with her...I may not like losing the income temporarily...but she has as much right to open a day care as the next person. And if parents want to follow her...then so be it. Would I really want to keep parents that don't want to be here?!!! If they all left...then maybe I should take a long hard look as to why? If you run a good program, then you shouldn't have to worry about losing some business for a short while.
nannyde 12:56 PM 05-09-2011
I guess things are just different elsewhere!

Parents asked me why I was leaving and what was I going to do? I told them I wanted to stay home with my baby and was going back to doing home day care. Within hours, the parents wanted to know how they could sign up with me. They didn't want to take their chances with a new teacher. Their children loved me. I just can't see myself telling them they don't get to choose! The director told the leaving parents that she would miss them, but that she understood how they felt about me. She wished me well with my new business.

My assistant is my son. But if I had a paid assistant and she decided to leave and took some of my kids with her...I may not like losing the income temporarily...but she has as much right to open a day care as the next person. And if parents want to follow her...then so be it. Would I really want to keep parents that don't want to be here?!!! If they all left...then maybe I should take a long hard look as to why? If you run a good program, then you shouldn't have to worry about losing some business for a short while.

Parents asked me why I was leaving and what was I going to do
?

If I were the owner I wouldn't want you to tell them you were leaving. It's really none of their business. The same business that found you and kept you for three years will find and keep your replacement. They obviously know what they are doing because they picked YOU. I would trust that they will do the same for your replacement.

This kind of thing is why directors often just have employees leave or switch rooms/ hours when they give notice.

Since she is the owner it is up to HER to tell clients when there will be an employee change in the room.

I just can't see myself telling them they don't get to choose! Yes it's that kind of thinking in every business that gets people to contact clients to get them to switch to their business. After all, they should get to choose.

This thinking is the genesis of non competition agreements. You seem lovely and you believe it. When an employer hires you they know there is a good chance that you will have this kind of thinking.

The director told the leaving parents that she would miss them, but that she understood how they felt about me.

Was that the owner of the business or the director? I can't imagine an owner being happy she just lost a key employee and lost three great clients to boot. If the director got the same pay whether those three clients were there or not then she has nothing to loose by saying that.

If this director didn't own the business there may have been more to this story than you know.

But if I had a paid assistant and she decided to leave and took some of my kids with her...I may not like losing the income temporarily...but she has as much right to open a day care as the next person.

Not me. I would be very upset. I don't hire my staff assistant to do any parent contact or conferencing. I don't want to mix my parents with my employee. My current staff assistant has been here for two years and hasn't spent five minutes TOTAL with any of my clients other than meeting them at the interviews.

Centers are different in that the employees must have face to face contact with the parents but in my small setting it's not necessary at all to have two people doing parent contact. I do ALL of it here... every day...every week... every month.. every year.

If you run a good program, then you shouldn't have to worry about losing some business for a short while.

Or it could be just becomes an OPTION for them to have a known person who is way cheaper.

I've had many a friend over the year who have lost staff assistants to parents who poached them right from their day care and clients who were poached by staff assistants who became friends with them in their business. Families that have two or three kids are the most likely to want the staff assistant to come work for them. Often that is for less money OR they want a nanny for the price they are paying for day care.
Meeko 02:13 PM 05-09-2011
[quote=nannyde;109862]

Parents asked me why I was leaving and what was I going to do?

If I were the owner I wouldn't want you to tell them you were leaving. It's really none of their business.

They put it in the center newsletter that I was leaving and how much I would be missed!

Was that the owner of the business or the director? I can't imagine an owner being happy she just lost a key employee and lost three great clients to boot. If the director got the same pay whether those three clients were there or not then she has nothing to loose by saying that.

If this director didn't own the business there may have been more to this story than you know.

...she's the owner and the director! Husband and wife business. Still my friends 14 years after I left!

I CAN see your point from a business standpoint.

But I live in a very friendly, very close knit community and that amount of distrust between business's wouldn't be tolerated. Like I said....my employer hugged me and wished me well!

What do these centers threaten people with if they try and start their own daycares or take clients that used to be theirs? Do they sue? Can they take away someone's license?

I admit I don't know if any of the national chains here (there's a KinderCare two cities away from here) do this. But I know a lot of the local, privately owned center owners personally and they don't exercise that much control over their employees.

I actually called a friend who runs a center to ask about this. (Not the one I worked at) She was so shocked that some centers would act that way. She's had a successful center for over 20 years...and has lost several employees to do day care themselves......but she doesn't give it a seconds thought....it hasn't affected her center in the slightest. She has always replaced the lost employee and signed up more kids. She said if she was that unfriendly to her employees, her doors would have closed years ago.
nannyde 02:18 PM 05-09-2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-compete_clause
Former Teacher 05:11 PM 05-09-2011

But if I had a paid assistant and she decided to leave and took some of my kids with her...I may not like losing the income temporarily...but she has as much right to open a day care as the next person.

Not me. I would be very upset. I don't hire my staff assistant to do any parent contact or conferencing. I don't want to mix my parents with my employee. My current staff assistant has been here for two years and hasn't spent five minutes TOTAL with any of my clients other than meeting them at the interviews.
Nanny with ALL due respect...what kind of parents (clients) do you have? They let you rule over EVERY single aspect of their child. From laundry soap to not being allowed in the play room in which their child is all day to not even having any communication with your assistant? Of course I do not blame you. I blame the parents for allowing such control.

Back to the topic: When I was about to leave my former center after 17 and half years, I informed the special parents verbally that I grew close to that I was leaving. A few even cried. A week before I was to leave, I posted a letter to all the parents on the front door. My former director also posted a beautiful letter celebrating my time there and to wish me the best of luck. I still have it
Jolaine83 06:40 PM 05-09-2011
I did sign a non-competition clause with the daycare center I worked at before my son was born. It basically stated I couldn't open up a daycare center within 5 miles of their center for 1 year after I left.

Otherwise, it stated nothing about contact with the parent after leaving. I still have several parents on my facebook as friends. I think I would have side-eyed it a little to be told who I couldn't have contact with. The non-competition clause stopped me from taking kids away from them anyway.

But that being said, babysitting outside of center hours was encouraged. Even after I quit, according to the clause's guidelines, I could babysit any of those kids after hours or on the weekend. It only specifically avoided direct competition.

Just check with your center for what the rules are. I gave my parents notice at both centers I worked at, so I gave them the option of asking for information if they were interested. That's actually when one of them asked to be my friend on facebook.

Hope that helps!
QualiTcare 07:56 PM 05-09-2011
i didn't read all of the posts. i will just say this..

i wouldn't give out my phone number to the kids. if you are close with the parents and you want to stay in touch, i don't see anything wrong with giving them your email or telling them you're on facebook or something like that.

i wouldn't tell the kids you are leaving until the last week. they don't have a good concept of time. they need to be warned, but not prematurely. KIDS ARE VERY RESILIENT! not to hurt your feelings, but they won't care a couple weeks later.
QualiTcare 08:08 PM 05-09-2011
non compete clauses rarely hold any weight. i worked for a place once where i had to sign one saying i wouldn't work for a competitor for a year after terminating my employment. i really didn't plan to, but just out of curiosity i checked into the validity of it. i was told they couldn't do anything if it were to happen bc of something like they can't stop you from being able to provide for yourself and/or family - basically.

it's not like a daycare provider who leaves a daycare and opens up her own place is selling secrets of the trade that only that center had. that's different. we're not talking about a cook at KFC giving the "secret recipe" to Popeye's. THAT would be illegal. however, a cook at KFC telling customers he was going to work at Popeye's and those customers started going to Popeye's and quit going to KFC - nothing they could do about it. it's free will.
nannyde 04:17 AM 05-10-2011
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Nanny with ALL due respect...what kind of parents (clients) do you have? They let you rule over EVERY single aspect of their child. From laundry soap to not being allowed in the play room in which their child is all day to not even having any communication with your assistant? Of course I do not blame you. I blame the parents for allowing such control.
Parent who have the wisdome to know this is a really really good deal here. Parents who stay for their child's whole early childhood. Parents who pay the big bucks to do this great deal. Parents who don't want other childrens parents visiting their kid when they are in day care.

The laundry soap is a scent allergy issue. They don't want to incapacitate me so I can't provide care THAT day. They want me to work.

The no parents in the playroom is to visit the OTHER kids. They are welcome to come into my second playroom and visit their little one as long as they wish.

The no communication with my staff assistant: She works for ME. The parents contract with ME.

Remember I'm not required to HAVE a staff assistant. She is an extra person here. I can run the daycare completely by myself without any additional help. Also when I hire my staff assistant I explain completely to them that I do not have them do ANY parent contact or conferencing. This is fully discussed and the interview stops if it is a role the assistant would like to have in her new job. The staff assistant AGREES as part of the hiring process that she will not have this in her duties. She meets the parents when they interview but is not a part of the interview process. She sees the parents at departure but she is not a part of the conferencing at arrivals and departures. She ALREADY KNOWS before she starts that this is a part of the job and gladly takes it. Most peopel dont' want to deal with the parents anyway. They would rather someone else do it.

The staff assistant could leave tomorrow and another one could come. Within a few weeks the new one will care for the kids in an identical way to the way she cares for the kids. I train staff to do MY system. Until they DO my system I'm with them constantly. Doesn't matter what staff assistant is here... they are the do the same year after year after year. When my last staff assistant moved on her replacement was already here and working. It was about three months before the parents even asked about the one before and she was here for 2.5 years at that time and a total of 7.5 years in her total years here. Having a new staff assistant doesn't affect the kids care in ANY way. There's no point in having the staff assistant have relationships or communication with the parents. Nothing good can come of it. You can end up even or have problems ... but you can't gain anything from it.

Nearly 18 years of having a staff assistant and I haven't had a single solitary problem between my staff and my parents. I break even on this system... and that's the best I can do. I'll take that.

The other thing is that I keep staff a really long time. They look at this as an education. They get hands on training from me and paid well to do it. They like the education that comes with this job. When they leave they are ready to run their own home day care or have children of their own. This is a really good way to learn about kids and the business of child care. It's a "get paid while you get schooled" deal.
QualiTcare 05:42 AM 05-10-2011
Parent who have the wisdome to know this is a really really good deal here. Parents who stay for their child's whole early childhood. Parents who pay the big bucks to do this great deal. Parents who don't want other childrens parents visiting their kid when they are in day care.

The laundry soap is a scent allergy issue. They don't want to incapacitate me so I can't provide care THAT day. They want me to work.

The no parents in the playroom is to visit the OTHER kids. They are welcome to come into my second playroom and visit their little one as long as they wish.

The no communication with my staff assistant: She works for ME. The parents contract with ME.

Remember I'm not required to HAVE a staff assistant. She is an extra person here. I can run the daycare completely by myself without any additional help. Also when I hire my staff assistant I explain completely to them that I do not have them do ANY parent contact or conferencing. This is fully discussed and the interview stops if it is a role the assistant would like to have in her new job. The staff assistant AGREES as part of the hiring process that she will not have this in her duties. She meets the parents when they interview but is not a part of the interview process. She sees the parents at departure but she is not a part of the conferencing at arrivals and departures. She ALREADY KNOWS before she starts that this is a part of the job and gladly takes it. Most peopel dont' want to deal with the parents anyway. They would rather someone else do it.

The staff assistant could leave tomorrow and another one could come. Within a few weeks the new one will care for the kids in an identical way to the way she cares for the kids. I train staff to do MY system. Until they DO my system I'm with them constantly. Doesn't matter what staff assistant is here... they are the do the same year after year after year. When my last staff assistant moved on her replacement was already here and working. It was about three months before the parents even asked about the one before and she was here for 2.5 years at that time and a total of 7.5 years in her total years here. Having a new staff assistant doesn't affect the kids care in ANY way. There's no point in having the staff assistant have relationships or communication with the parents. Nothing good can come of it. You can end up even or have problems ... but you can't gain anything from it.

Nearly 18 years of having a staff assistant and I haven't had a single solitary problem between my staff and my parents. I break even on this system... and that's the best I can do. I'll take that.

The other thing is that I keep staff a really long time. They look at this as an education. They get hands on training from me and paid well to do it. They like the education that comes with this job. When they leave they are ready to run their own home day care or have children of their own. This is a really good way to learn about kids and the business of child care. It's a "get paid while you get schooled" deal.
i don't know why i even read that, but i have to say, after reading - it sounds like you're afraid the assistant might say something "wrong" that you don't want the parents to hear. it's just weird. i can't think of any other reason - it's just the impression i get.

whateva.
nannyde 06:02 AM 05-10-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i don't know why i even read that, but i have to say, after reading - it sounds like you're afraid the assistant might say something "wrong" that you don't want the parents to hear. it's just weird. i can't think of any other reason - it's just the impression i get.

whateva.
Yes saying something wrong is one of the reasons.

Not so much what they shouldn't hear but how they should hear it. That's my job. I have a communication style with the parents that is VERY laid back and comes from 30 years of practice. A staff assistant couldn't communicate with them at that level.

I'm not in partnership with the staff assistant. If they were my partner I would feel completely differently about it. Their salary doesn't change when kids come and go. Mine does.

That's reason enough.
Meeko 06:40 AM 05-10-2011

They may have the training to open their own day care after they leave you.....but do you make them sign that they won't?

I guess we are all different.....which is good. Parents would hate it if every day care in the country was run the same way.

The parents deal with me when it comes to rules, money etc. They know that I am in charge. But they know my assistant/son well. The kids adore him and don't leave at the end of the day until he has had a big hug too. (His fiance doesn't have to worry about whether he'll be a good dad!!!) When he gets married, he is going to open his own day care with his wife and my husband will "un-retire" and be my assistant again. We really are a family affair!

We sometimes get as many as 3 or 4 kids arriving or leaving at the same time. (We have 16) The front door would be too busy without his help. My son is right there at the door helping with coats etc and greeting the parents/kids. Sometimes if I am at the door with one parent, he is with the other kids. If I am busy, on the phone etc....he gets the door. It's a true partnership.

I think some of my parents would worry if I had a "mystery person" in the back somewhere that they never got to see. I know as a parent I would want to know who was with my child during the day.... not some stranger I shook hands with at an interview.. never to talk to again. A person who is a huge part of my child's life is someone I want to know.

You said that having your assistant leave doesn't affect the children's care in any way.
Doesn't she interact with the kids? Don't they grow attached to her? Both my son and I LOVE our kids. He's 26 years old, 6' 4" tall with shoulders in different time zones. He's a tough ex football player who has cried with me when kids leave because he's so attached to them.

Our kids adore him. He is a hero as far as they are concerned. I have single mom's who tell me how grateful they are that their child has a positive male role model to look up to. He's the one who plays football with the boys. He's the one who can carry 4 kids at the same time as they hang on his outstretched arms. He's the one I love to see helping a 3 yr old girl put shoes on a Barbie!! He's the one they can run to when they scrape a knee and know he cares.
When he gets married next year they are going to miss him A LOT. They know my husband very well and my son will be back to visit often as he is family of course......but it will be hard for the kids to be without him at first.

I don't know how your kids could not be affected by your assistant leaving...unless she never evens talks to them. Does she just do things like prep work, laundry etc and not interact with the kids at all? How can a child be in the same home with a person for years and their care not be affected in the slightest when they leave?

I think it's a bit sad that parents didn't even know your assistant had left and didn't even ask until MONTHS later A person who I assume had been a huge part of their child's life and yet they didn't know anything about her. Did she not do a good job? Did she not deserve as much as a mention to the parents? I can't imagine having a job...giving it my all....and then just slinking out the back door without so much as an acknowledgement.

When my son leaves here, I could not just let it slide and not tell the parents and not give them a chance to say goodbye. I KNOW they will want to say goodbye and to thank him for all he has done for their children. To do otherwise would be cheating them....and him.

That's why the owner of the day care I worked at put a lovely goodbye note in the center newsletter for all the parents to see. She thanked me for my hard work and let the parents know when my last date was. She actually TOLD them I was going to be home with my new baby and starting my own home day care. I received many gifts, hugs and notes from grateful parents. My classroom assistant (still one of my best friends) gathered photos taken over the years and put them in an album. All the staff and lots of the parents had signed it all over. I will treasure it forever. My boss bought donuts and cakes for my last day and all the staff got to enjoy. That's how we do things around here.

It would have broken my heart to have left quietly with a threat over my head that I had better not be any competition to her.

I saw your link to the non-compete contracts. I'm sure in some places and instances they are needed. Around here, we don't live that way.

Like I said......I guess we all do things differently. It sounds as if you run a tight ship and it works well for you and your day care kids. I have learned a lot from this forum since joining. It's very interesting to see how other people run their day care business.
wdmmom 08:54 AM 05-10-2011

whateva.
Here's another good reason:

I had a daycare assistant that worked for me for a year. I had a family that was a bit odd to say the least. I was contracted with the mom but the dad had custody of the kids, he paid the daycare bill and he usually did drop off and/or pickup all days.

DCD was usually greeted at the door by my assistant if I was tending to unhappy infants....until he tried to BOGART MY ASSISTANT!!!

My assistant came to me and said DCD had asked her to quit working for me and go work for him in his house watching his 2 younger children. I was completely appalled! Not only does this tell me he is unhappy with the level of care I provide but he's looking to leave. I was thankful my assistant told me and later we could laugh about it but it really p*ssed me off!

Then it happened AGAIN about a month later! This time I told the DCM about it and that I didn't like that DCD was haggling my assistant and offering her way more money that I was paying her and said he'd throw in all sorts of benefits, etc. DCM laughed it off and said I need to know DCD's sense of humor and that he didn't mean anything by it. REALLY?! There is no humor here...this is a business and I run it as such. We laugh about the cute things kids say, not about poaching my assistant or offering her things like she can be bought!

And...guess what?! It happened yet again after that! That was the last straw! Not only did he do it in front of me but threw the offer on the table to pay her $300 a week plus any and all activities if she left me and went to work for him at his house! I watched the kids that day and when DCM picked them up, I handed her a letter resigning that day. She was uber p*ssed and said she hated me from the get go, etc. I just laughed and asked why they were here so long and continued to pay than?!

Then, DCD showed up that night after hours apologizing profusely and said that I misinterpreted what he was saying. (Sure I did ...I was right there when he said it!)

He must have thought that by apologizing we were in the good because he showed up the next day with kids in tow.

I didn't answer the door. He left a message telling me "Merry Christmas, they won't be back, blah, blah, blah". Really?! I think that's what I told YOU first!!!!!

THERE'S ONE H*LL OF A GOOD REASON FOR THE ASSISTANT NOT TO HAVE ANY CONTACT WITH THE DAYCARE PARENTS!!!!

Way too much drama and bullcaca for me to deal with!
Meeko 08:56 AM 05-10-2011
non compete clauses rarely hold any weight. i worked for a place once where i had to sign one saying i wouldn't work for a competitor for a year after terminating my employment. i really didn't plan to, but just out of curiosity i checked into the validity of it. i was told they couldn't do anything if it were to happen bc of something like they can't stop you from being able to provide for yourself and/or family - basically.

it's not like a daycare provider who leaves a daycare and opens up her own place is selling secrets of the trade that only that center had. that's different. we're not talking about a cook at KFC giving the "secret recipe" to Popeye's. THAT would be illegal. however, a cook at KFC telling customers he was going to work at Popeye's and those customers started going to Popeye's and quit going to KFC - nothing they could do about it. it's free will.
This is how I feel. When I left the center I worked at, some of the parents left to join me. They had a total right to do so. I wasn't stealing anything! I believe that if a center needs to threaten it's employees in order to keep them in line and stay in business then it doesn't deserve to BE in business.
Meeko 09:08 AM 05-10-2011
Here's another good reason:

I had a daycare assistant that worked for me for a year. I had a family that was a bit odd to say the least. I was contracted with the mom but the dad had custody of the kids, he paid the daycare bill and he usually did drop off and/or pickup all days.

DCD was usually greeted at the door by my assistant if I was tending to unhappy infants....until he tried to BOGART MY ASSISTANT!!!

My assistant came to me and said DCD had asked her to quit working for me and go work for him in his house watching his 2 younger children. I was completely appalled! Not only does this tell me he is unhappy with the level of care I provide but he's looking to leave. I was thankful my assistant told me and later we could laugh about it but it really p*ssed me off!

Then it happened AGAIN about a month later! This time I told the DCM about it and that I didn't like that DCD was haggling my assistant and offering her way more money that I was paying her and said he'd throw in all sorts of benefits, etc. DCM laughed it off and said I need to know DCD's sense of humor and that he didn't mean anything by it. REALLY?! There is no humor here...this is a business and I run it as such. We laugh about the cute things kids say, not about poaching my assistant or offering her things like she can be bought!

And...guess what?! It happened yet again after that! That was the last straw! Not only did he do it in front of me but threw the offer on the table to pay her $300 a week plus any and all activities if she left me and went to work for him at his house! I watched the kids that day and when DCM picked them up, I handed her a letter resigning that day. She was uber p*ssed and said she hated me from the get go, etc. I just laughed and asked why they were here so long and continued to pay than?!

Then, DCD showed up that night after hours apologizing profusely and said that I misinterpreted what he was saying. (Sure I did ...I was right there when he said it!)

He must have thought that by apologizing we were in the good because he showed up the next day with kids in tow.

I didn't answer the door. He left a message telling me "Merry Christmas, they won't be back, blah, blah, blah". Really?! I think that's what I told YOU first!!!!!

THERE'S ONE H*LL OF A GOOD REASON FOR THE ASSISTANT NOT TO HAVE ANY CONTACT WITH THE DAYCARE PARENTS!!!!

Way too much drama and bullcaca for me to deal with!

We are always talking on this forum about how the parents can't tell us what to do just because they pay us. Yet we want to own our assistants and dictate who they even TALK to?

The dad was very rude to offer her a job in front of you.......but he has a right to offer her a job and she has the right to say yes or no. You do not own her because you pay her!

Yes...I guess it can get messy and dramatic at times........but as parent, I would NEVER leave my children in the care of a person I was not allowed to talk to.
wdmmom 09:24 AM 05-10-2011
[quote=Meeko60;110048]We are always talking on this forum about how the parents can't tell us what to do just because they pay us. Yet we want to own our assistants and dictate who they even TALK to?

The dad was very rude to offer her a job in front of you.......but he has a right to offer her a job and she has the right to say yes or no. You do not own her because you pay her!

BACK THE TRUCK UP! You wouldn't take your child to a provider because an assistant helped out and you weren't permitted to have daily contact with her?!

I took my youngest daughter to Nannyde! She is the primary provider and her assistant was just that. If Nan paid her to dust and vacuum and sanitize while kids were napping who am I to say I want to see her, talk to her, etc?! Daily contact with my child or not, these people need to go through a background check just like anyone else.

As for my post...No, I didn't own my assistant but the dad had ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT to offer a job IN MY HOUSE while his children were under my direct care!!!! If he wanted to post an ad on Craigslist and hire a nanny, he is well within his right. You disrespect me in my own house, you're out!!! I'm not the type of provider that deals with disrespectful, rude parents. I'm not going to cry if your $100-$200 a week goes elsewhere.

Money is money but I'm not going to take bad money for good kids. Get my drift.

FYI...If I've learned anything: Parents that are great to work for have the worst kids and the best kids are the worst parents to work for!
Meeko 09:32 AM 05-10-2011
[quote=wdmmom;110051]
We are always talking on this forum about how the parents can't tell us what to do just because they pay us. Yet we want to own our assistants and dictate who they even TALK to?

BACK THE TRUCK UP! You wouldn't take your child to a provider because an assistant helped out and you weren't permitted to have daily contact with her?!

I took my youngest daughter to Nannyde! She is the primary provider and her assistant was just that. If Nan paid her to dust and vacuum and sanitize while kids were napping who am I to say I want to see her, talk to her, etc?! Daily contact with my child or not, these people need to go through a background check just like anyone else.

As for my post...No, I didn't own my assistant but the dad had ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT to offer a job IN MY HOUSE while his children were under my direct care!!!! If he wanted to post an ad on Craigslist and hire a nanny, he is well within his right. You disrespect me in my own house, you're out!!! I'm not the type of provider that deals with disrespectful, rude parents. I'm not going to cry if your $100-$200 a week goes elsewhere.

Money is money but I'm not going to take bad money for good kids. Get my drift.

FYI...If I've learned anything: Parents that are great to work for have the worst kids and the best kids are the worst parents to work for!
I think you were absolutely right to term this family. He was very disrespectful to you in your own home. I can't stand that either (see my other posts!)

But in answer to your question about the assistant. No...I would never leave my child in the care of a person I was not allowed to talk to. Even if I loved and trusted the main provider....I would also want to be able to talk to the other person who is with my child all day. As a parent, I would find it super creepy that a person who spends that much time with my child is not allowed to talk to me about that time. Now if they never had any contact with my child...just did janitorial work etc.....that MIGHT be acceptable. But in a home care setting...it would be almost impossible to keep them separate.

And just knowing that a person had a background check is not good enough for me. Many pedophiles would pass a background check. (Just means they haven't been caught yet.) Having a background check doesn't automatically make you a nice person. I would want to actually TALK to any person who is spending each and every day with my child. I would want to get to know them. My youngest kids are in high school now. I STILL make sure that I meet all their teachers and get to know a bit about them. They are with my kids every day and you betcha I want to know all the details.
wdmmom 10:21 AM 05-10-2011
And that's why we all beg to differ.

All parenting styles are different, all teaching styles are different and all daycare are run different. What may be suitable for you may be against everything a person stands for to someone else.

My assistant works about 15 hours a week...I pay her to sanitize, clean, and supervise. She has very limited contact with my parents. She will say, "hi" while they are here but as for asking questions regarding the child's day, that needs to come from me. My parents have all met her and know who she is and are completely fine with it. My assistant also works from about 9am to 1230pm after all kids are here and she leaves before they do. She assists with lunch and supervises them during free-play times. She's also very shy and she doesn't want much involvement with the parents. She knows that this is MY business and MY house and the parents contract with ME. I can run the daycare without her...it's my housecleaning that will behind.
nannyde 10:28 AM 05-10-2011
[quote=Meeko60;110054]

I think you were absolutely right to term this family. He was very disrespectful to you in your own home. I can't stand that either (see my other posts!)

But in answer to your question about the assistant. No...I would never leave my child in the care of a person I was not allowed to talk to. Even if I loved and trusted the main provider....I would also want to be able to talk to the other person who is with my child all day. As a parent, I would find it super creepy that a person who spends that much time with my child is not allowed to talk to me about that day.
No...I would never leave my child in the care of a person I was not allowed to talk to.

Oh absolutely. I don't leave my staff assistant alone with the kids. They are ALWAYS in my care. She may provide care to the children but only directly supervised by me. She is on camera at all times and I am at most ten seconds away from the kids at all times.

I decide EVERYTHING. I run the show completely. There is NOTHING the staff assistant could tell the parents about their child's day that I couldn't tell them.

The biggest decision my staff assistant would make would be the color of paint a kid would use in a craft.... the number of jinglebells to put into their mothers day basket.... which four year old comes to the table first... THOSE kinds of decisions. Non substance decisions that have no consequence either way. Other than that I decide EVERYTHING every single day. The kids are in MY care every day all day long ... every week... every month... year after year... MY care. Whatever staff assistant I have... it's the same care regardless of the person currently filling the position.

Your perspective on this is very different. You ARE the staff worker who left and took three clients with you. You HAVE a staff assistant who doesn't have ANY chance of leaving your business while taking clients from you. You have only BEEN on the receiving end of this "principle".

Try running your sixteen kids with someone else and see how it works to loose a staff assistant you have invested time and money into training and three kids who were doing perfectly well in your business all at the same time. Then you might think a little differently.

The whole idea that they would leave because they weren't perfectly happy is so silly. People leave over money ALL the time. If the parents are given the option of a cheaper arrangement with a known person they could easily leave a situation they were very happy in.
Meeko 10:33 AM 05-10-2011
And that's why we all beg to differ.

All parenting styles are different, all teaching styles are different and all daycare are run different. What may be suitable for you may be against everything a person stands for to someone else.

My assistant works about 15 hours a week...I pay her to sanitize, clean, and supervise. She has very limited contact with my parents. She will say, "hi" while they are here but as for asking questions regarding the child's day, that needs to come from me. My parents have all met her and know who she is and are completely fine with it. My assistant also works from about 9am to 1230pm after all kids are here and she leaves before they do. She assists with lunch and supervises them during free-play times. She's also very shy and she doesn't want much involvement with the parents. She knows that this is MY business and MY house and the parents contract with ME. I can run the daycare without her...it's my housecleaning that will behind.
I think the biggest difference here is that you can run your day care without her. And it sounds as if she is more of a housekeeper than a provider.

We are a family group home and must have TWO providers that interact with the children all day. My son can take off if I only 8 kids (and only 2 under age 2). But that is rare. Other than that he is with the kids all day, every day (approx. 60 hours a week) Because of that...parents want to know him well. He is a HUGE part of their kid's day.

If anyone asks him a policy or financial question he usually refers them to me (even though he knows the answer) But he is perfectly qualified to answer questions about daily routine and events.

I love this forum! It is really interesting to hear about other day cares! I have learned so much in the short while I have been here.
nannyde 10:55 AM 05-10-2011
[quote=Meeko60;110054]

But in answer to your question about the assistant. No...I would never leave my child in the care of a person I was not allowed to talk to. Even if I loved and trusted the main provider....I would also want to be able to talk to the other person who is with my child all day. As a parent, I would find it super creepy that a person who spends that much time with my child is not allowed to talk to me about that time. Now if they never had any contact with my child...just did janitorial work etc.....that MIGHT be acceptable. But in a home care setting...it would be almost impossible to keep them separate.
The Dad was "disrespectful"? Ummm I'm thinking the Dad was MONEY. He tried to take a staff assistant who had been trained for a year and he planned on scooting his money right on out the door.

You say "disrespectful?". That's a nice way to talk about someones livlihood.

No...I would never leave my child in the care of a person I was not allowed to talk to.

But what if there was LITTERALLY no single solitary reason whatsoever for you TO talk to the person? What if everything you needed to know about your kids day was being told to you... answered immediately... without equivocation... without a doubt?

When your kid has surgery are you going to meet the surgeon AND all the OR techs and OR nurses or are you going to want to talk to the one who wields the knife?

You don't have staff assistants in the jobs WDMMom and I have. You don't HIRE that person. You don't have a job description for that person. The jobs you have worked at and the job you have in your business are NOTHING like the jobs we have for our staff.

Remember they are HIRED with the "parent conferencing/contact" not on their job description.

The parents I serve understand that I am the go to guy. If they want to hire someone who has a staff assistant who does parent conferencing and contact then my services just woudn't work for them. My business just doesn't support the kind of training and costs it would take to hire someone and train them to do that role MY way. It would be so expensive that I couldn't support it within my fees. Heck I had a staff assistant for 7.5 years and she wasn't trained well enough to do it.

I'll do that myself thankyouverymuch. I'm not going to hand over the possibility of blowing a 7 to 14K a year contract to someone who has done child care for a couple of years under my direct supervision. The child care part is easy to train.. the parent contact... the kind of contact that gets them to pay and stay for five years... not so easy. By the time my staff assistant is capable of doing that she's too expensive to have here.
nannyde 10:59 AM 05-10-2011
I think the biggest difference here is that you can run your day care without her. And it sounds as if she is more of a housekeeper than a provider.

We are a family group home and must have TWO providers that interact with the children all day. My son can take off if I only 8 kids (and only 2 under age 2). But that is rare. Other than that he is with the kids all day, every day (approx. 60 hours a week) Because of that...parents want to know him well. He is a HUGE part of their kid's day.

If anyone asks him a policy or financial question he usually refers them to me (even though he knows the answer) But he is perfectly qualified to answer questions about daily routine and events.

I love this forum! It is really interesting to hear about other day cares! I have learned so much in the short while I have been here.
But see here's the difference. If you son blows up one of your daycare relationship you have FIFTEEN kids to spare. In our situations we have half or less kids. We are running a one to three/four ratio of kids ... not a one to eight.

It's okay to train him within those large numbers. Centers do it all the time. We are talking about really small groups where one kid leaving can be your mortgage payment for six months.

We have a lot more to loose.
Unregistered 11:24 AM 05-10-2011
I worked in a center before I started a home daycare and I left the daycare for that reason. Could I have told all of the parents what I was doing? Sure, but it wasn't right for me to do that. I told them that I was leaving but I didn't say specifically why I was leaving. I signed a "no soliciting" clause when I started working at the center and I was honoring that by not trying to get the daycare families from the center to follow me. Even if I could have legally done it, I wouldn't have done it because it doesn't feel like the right thing to do.

That's just my opinion.
Blackcat31 11:42 AM 05-10-2011
I have an assistant in the summer months and maybe 1, possibly 2 parents have ever seen her or talked to her. None have ever asked about her because they enrolled their child into MY care and trust that I am providing the services I said I would. I don't think any of them care who she is or what she does while she is here. Their only concern is the safety and quality of care their child receives while here.

Of course if I had a parent who wanted to know the 411 about my assistant, I wouldn't have any issues with that, however, none have asked.

Before I did childcare myself, my children were enrolled in a center and I don't think I knew every person my child came into contact with there. I knew the teacher and maybe a parent or two that I saw during drop offs/pick ups but that was pretty much the extent of it. I guess I didn't give it that much thought. I just knew my kids came home happy, clean and well cared for. That was all I needed to know. I also do not think my kids could tell you today the name of anyone they knew from the center with the exception of the lead teacher.

On the flip side, I have been doing this for a long time now and if asked, I don't think I could name every kid I have ever provided care for. I should hope I made a difference in their lives, but in reality, I was only a small part of it.
Meeko 12:03 PM 05-10-2011
But see here's the difference. If you son blows up one of your daycare relationship you have FIFTEEN kids to spare. In our situations we have half or less kids. We are running a one to three/four ratio of kids ... not a one to eight.

It's okay to train him within those large numbers. Centers do it all the time. We are talking about really small groups where one kid leaving can be your mortgage payment for six months.

We have a lot more to loose.
Yes I can see your point Nannyde. You guys are in the middle and have a lot to lose. The more kids,,,the less the impact. I am not a huge facility...but my son is not about to stab me in the back!!!

When I left working at the center, 3 kids left with me. But the center was running at full capacity with just under 200 kids. I doubt she even felt the loss before she picked up 3 new ones....and I was replaced very quickly too.

As for the assistant thing......I have been lucky enough to never have put any of my four kids in care. But I am super fussy and want to know anyone who spends any kind of time with my kids.

For example if I found out my child had kicked "Miss Kathy" () I don't just want to hear that from "Miss Nancy" I would want to talk to Miss Kathy personally and get HER version of what happened....not Miss Nancy's possibly watered down or over-dramatized version. I wouldn't be happy with a third party explanation. There is a possibility that Miss Nancy didn't even SEE the incident. Even if she is in the same room...she doesn't have eyes in the back of her head.

We have had behavior problems that my son has dealt with during the day and he will be the one to tell the parents on many occasions.

But I CAN see the reasoning with keeping the chat between main provider and parents as much as humanly possible.

I guess it's a good job I'm the provider.......I would be one of the fussy parents we all moan about on here!
Unregistered 10:49 AM 08-13-2012
Here's an odd question. I too, may be forced to close my in-home daycare due to personal circumstances. Any suggestions as to where to go next? I do not have enough classes to be a director (missing 45 hr infant toddler, etc.), but am looking at other options. Thanks.
Tags:leaving daycare job
Reply Up