Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Any Of You Have A Biting Policy?
crazydaycarelady 01:39 PM 10-25-2012
I have a returning dckid who was kicked out of their new dc for biting. I am wondering if I should add a paragraph about biting into my parent handbook. Something like 3 bites and you're out? I don't think there are any state rules specifically for biting, they were kicked out by the choice of the provider after the other parents called the stae..
Blackcat31 01:55 PM 10-25-2012
I don't have a biting policy but I also don't think it is fair to say "Oh if your child bites 3x then you are kicked out of care".

I agree that biting is a tough thing to deal with a provider, a stressful thing to deal with as a parent and an even worse thing to deal with as a victim of a biter but I would try really hard to work with the parent to find a solution for the child as well as make a plan of action to stop it.

Biting is 100% normal for children with no verbal skills and not so good coping skills.

I understand why biting is a hot topic for centers and FCC's but I think setting a strict limit to the number of incidences is kind of one sided and not at all helpful or supportive for anyone. Especially the child having issues.

My advice would be to make a plan of action that both parent and provider have to agree to and then only if that fails or if one party doesn't feel the other is doing their share, then I may entertain the possibility of terming.
crazydaycarelady 02:13 PM 10-25-2012
In 21 years of this biz I have never had a serious biting issue (knocking on wood!) but I did have a child bite once during the summer. The next day her dad called me all upset thinking she would be kicked out. I told him to relax no big deal. My assistant worked at a center before coming here and in the center a child got sent home if they bit 3 times in one day. After 3 days of being sent home they were termed. This is what made me think maybe I should address it in the parent handbook. So parents know that their child won't be kicked out for minor incidences but could be for major ones (the returning dckid bit the other child all over her face during naptime, beyween 3-5 times.)
crazydaycarelady 02:13 PM 10-25-2012
Deleted - double post
MarinaVanessa 02:15 PM 10-25-2012
I do have one that goes with a behavior and discipline policy that I use as a guideline. When I am faced with behavior challenges I go on a case by case basis instead of a "three counts you're out" policy because some things may be more severe than others and may need immediate termination and others may be less severe or might have immediate improvement. One child might bite another child and not leave a mark and another might break the skin KWIM.

But here's what I have and maybe you'll get some ideas and think of something that works better for you. Sorry it's long but I'm very detailed ... and this is the shorter version lol. I didn't copy all of the parts that talk about verbal and physical altercations lol. I added the intro so you could get a better feel of where I'm coming from. From my handbook:

There are three principals that the daycare rules are based on:

You may not hurt yourself
You may not hurt others
You may not hurt things

Behavior Policy
It is [our] policy to encourage positive behavior. Any unacceptable behavior will be dealt with only after considering the child's age, stage of development and level of understanding. The children will be allowed time to practice obeying new rules before guiding them. We realize that young children have limited memories and may not recall a new rule without plenty of practice.

Guidance (Discipline)
Children are never punished for lapses in toilet training or for accidents such as spilled drinks or food for example. Please keep in mind that there will be disagreements between children. Young children who are not adept at communication have a hard time expressing their feelings. Sometimes they hit, pinch or throw toys etc. This is normal behavior in most cases, however this is still unacceptable behavior in group care and we strive to teach the children about appropriate behavior.

To guide a child we will implement developmentally appropriate techniques such as positive reinforcement, forestalling, redirection, active listening, and calm-down time. We like to use strategies to engage children in their own problem solving.

If a negative behavior becomes a consistent problem, the client will be notified of the situation. If a child remains unruly, the client will be called to remove the child for the remainder of the day. Please keep in mind there is more than one child to care for and if all energy is spent on any one child that misbehaves or acts difficult, the provider would not be able to give the kind of care that the other children require.

If inappropriate behavior or something of a more serious nature occurs that is a threat to the safety of the child or other children, these matters will be discussed with the client of the offending child so that a plan of action can be made. If the problem cannot be resolved within a reasonable amount of time then arrangements may need to be made for the child to receive care elsewhere.
Biting
Biting causes more upset feelings than any other behavior in child care programs. It is important for the provider and parents to address this behavior when it occurs. Children may bite for many different reasons therefore a child that has shown the desire to bite will be watched carefully to try and determine any “triggers”.

When a child bites (or intends to bite) another child the daycare provider will quickly but calmly intervene. The childcare provider will briefly talk to the offending child about how biting is not acceptable. For a child with limited language the child will simply told “No bite”.

The provider will then point out how the biter’s behavior affected the other child. “You hurt him and he’s crying.” The bitten child will be encouraged to tell the biter how he/she feels and will be comforted. If the skin is broken, the wound will be washed with mild soap and water, bandaged and then an ice pack will be applied to prevent swelling. The biter will be encouraged to help the other child by getting the ice pack, etc.

The parents of both the bitten child and the child who bit will be called and notified. The provider will tell what happened but will not name or label the child who bit.

A plan of action will be made with the parents of the child that bit on how to prevent and handle future biting. If biting continues a meeting with the parents of the child who is biting will be made to plan a more concentrated plan of action. The child who bit will be closely “shadowed”.

When the child bites, the child will be removed from the area or activity where the biting took place and the child will be redirected to another activity. If a child still continues to bite or does not seem to mind the consequences, the parent will be recommended of the possibility that the child may need an environment with fewer children or one with more one-on-one adult attention.
Blackcat31 02:20 PM 10-25-2012
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
In 21 years of this biz I have never had a serious biting issue (knocking on wood!) but I did have a child bite once during the summer. The next day her dad called me all upset thinking she would be kicked out. I told him to relax no big deal. My assistant worked at a center before coming here and in the center a child got sent home if they bit 3 times in one day. After 3 days of being sent home they were termed. This is what made me think maybe I should address it in the parent handbook. So parents know that their child won't be kicked out for minor incidences but could be for major ones (the returning dckid bit the other child all over her face during naptime, beyween 3-5 times.)
I have been super lucky with the biting thing too...or rather lack of biting.

I do agree that having a paragraph or so in your handbook outlining your policies about repeated bad behaviors or the really bad ones.. I can't think of a good word, I am thinking, biting, severe aggressive behaviors etc would be a really good idea.

This way parents understand that you are willing to work with them and try to overcome or stop some of these normal but frightening behaviors. I think it would show parents that you will try first to work it out before immediately terming them. Good way to build positive parent relationships IMHO.
dave4him 02:56 PM 10-25-2012
30, then swallow

No i dont have a policy, we would discipline with time outs though
Tags:biting
Reply Up