Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thoughts?
Unregistered 10:54 AM 04-15-2020
The TLDR version below.
Long version:
Background: I have a lot of experience from assistant through full day site director plus before and after only director. I have to wait for my licensing inspection to see if I can do 6 kids or 12 kids or somewhere between. 6 is beginner but I was told they can change to max. Capacity if licensee has the experience and considering a licensor has been my licensor for 3 of my 4 centers they may keep me with her and they may grant me more. I believe my space allows for 12 because I am using a big hallway and hopefully a stair landing (3 steps to a window. Calm down area.) Etc.

I am opening up an in home soon, granted the pandemic subsides enough. I want to open in the summer. I am doing only school age but am limited to my daughter's school mostly, due to school times. She is at an "early start|early release" school and her boundary moved to a new school so I do not know her bus times. This means I can take 2 children to another school or two in the morning, and 2 children to a nearby school in another district (because of end time, and I am at the border so it is not far) 4 days of the week, possibly all 5 (the schools all do early release on Wednesdays, and I do not know when my daughter's school rerurns to know).

I feel like SA is my strong suit and it will allow me to have the middle of the day for the back end.

However I worry about # of kids and income. I have a young 3 year old who has almost 2.5 years of preschool left. He struggles in school because he hits a lot-and his transitional preschool teacher is great but the preschool teacher who is in his room for the first 3 hours of the day has issues because he hits. I do not want to lose a spot and he has done many preschools (not due to him) so far if it does not pan out. But I don't see him doing well. They started giving lots of behavioral reports (I was a director at the sister site so they weren't doing reports I guess until I put in my notice? Hmmm.) They are transitioning him in August if he is ready so it gives me a couple of months hopefully to see how the home childcare works full day. I just do not know how he will do with her. The director is not terribly flexible with my ideas to help curb the behavior

If I do that, I could not do another AM school because I would start a school-day only preschool at 9 (845-9 drop off) until 1130. (Meaning no preschool when there are school agers-but if there is space an older preschooler can join in) Then I have mid day for admin, etc (shopping one day, curriculum another, etc) and then it is back to SA.

TLDR:
Lots of experience as a director, hoping to get licensed for max capacity 12.
I want to do a school age only, nervous of income as it is primarily 1 school, but can do 2 AM in one school, possibly 2 from another school (different times ending so I could pickup and drop off). But if I add a 2.5 hour preschool program it eliminates the 2 from another school in the AM. Less time in the day for backend work.

Opinions, thoughts, questions for clarity?
Reply Up