Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Picking Their Children's Noses... EWWW!!!
permanentvacation 05:32 PM 02-09-2015
I just had an interview. We were talking and the next thing I knew, the mother looked at her child and without a word, shoved her finger up the kid's nose and started digging for gold!! Then she told the child that he had 'boogies up his nose'. I was completely caught off guard and just thought "Eww! How disgusting! OMG! Really? OMG! Eww!" I had just sat my handbook on the table for her to look through right before she did that. My initial thought was to grab up my handbook before she put her finger full of mucus on it! I offered her tissues and she literally said, "No, I'm fine." UMMM.... EWWW...NO! You are NOT fine! You're GROSS!!!! I had to shove the tissues at her and demand that she use them. I then demanded that she wipe her hand off with a diaper wipe. (I could tell there was no way I was going to get her to actually WASH her hand, so I thought at least a diaper wipe would clean the muck off of her finger a bit.)

She left a half hour ago and I'm still grossed out, shaking my head and wondering who does that? It's gross enough that she picks the kids nose. But to sit in front of someone you don't even know and do it, just as naturally as can be. How disgusting, rude, lack of class, lack of dignity, etc.!

The thing is that it's not just this one mother. I couldn't tell you how many mothers have done that here on an interview or when dropping off their child or picking their child up from daycare.

Why do mothers pick their kids' noses? I never did, I never saw my sisters pick their kids' noses. My mother never picked my nose. Do you pick your children's noses? Do your daycare parents pick their kids' noses? Am I the only one grossed out by this?
Baby Beluga 07:51 PM 02-09-2015
I am grossed out by anyone picking their nose - but especially an adult and especially if tissues are present.
daycare 08:28 PM 02-09-2015
Eeeewww I hate snot boogars whatever you want to say that they are.

I just threw up.
Starburst 08:58 PM 02-09-2015
I personally wouldn't use my finger, but I think some parents after a while just lose that initial gross-out after a kid or two. Like that Luvs diaper commercial about the new mom boiling all of her baby's stuff and when she's a second time mom and her baby drops a binky on grass she just puts it in her mouth before giving it back to the baby (which is actually better because it helps build that baby's immune system).

I was on facebook earlier today and one of my mom's friend's granddaughters posted an article about those blue nose bulb syringes being full of mold (even when cleaned regularly/properly). It actually didn't startle me because a friend of mine used to use those for her ears and it started to wear out it cracked open and it was full of mold. That's pretty gross to clean your baby's nose with (not to mention unhealthy). http://www.babble.com/baby/better-th...-on-your-baby/.
Attached: mold.jpg (44.7 KB) 
Unregistered 09:30 PM 02-09-2015
Seriously? You're concerned what a mother chooses to do with her child. It may be gross to you, but when you're a mother there's not too much that really grosses you out. Is much rather pick my child's nose than have my child walking around with snot all on his face, as I have seen lots of children. I swear sometimes the people on this forum find the smallest and stupidest things to complain about. THAT is classless. Life must be so miserable to find so
Many things to complain about.
Unregistered 02:51 AM 02-10-2015
Some parents use their mouths to suck the snot out of babies noses too with or without a nosefrieda snot sucker. Yuck
sahm1225 04:30 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Seriously? You're concerned what a mother chooses to do with her child. It may be gross to you, but when you're a mother there's not too much that really grosses you out. Is much rather pick my child's nose than have my child walking around with snot all on his face, as I have seen lots of children. I swear sometimes the people on this forum find the smallest and stupidest things to complain about. THAT is classless. Life must be so miserable to find so
Wash your hands afterwards! You licking your child's nose and then touching things means YOU are spreading germs!!
Play Care 05:24 AM 02-10-2015
Why did I open this thread as I was eating my breakfast....
Shell 05:47 AM 02-10-2015
Perhaps dcm could have asked for a tissue to handle the situation, or a baby wipe?!
permanentvacation 07:18 AM 02-10-2015
After she started, I OFFERED her a tissue and she said she didn't need it, she was fine shoving her finger up his nose. I don't know where she thought she was going to wipe the mess off of her finger. Was she going to flick his nose mess onto my carpet? Wipe it onto my chair she was sitting on? Or wipe it on her own clothes?? I literally had to DEMAND that she use a tissue and then DEMAND she wipe her hand off with a diaper wipe.
Shell 08:59 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
After she started, I OFFERED her a tissue and she said she didn't need it, she was fine shoving her finger up his nose. I don't know where she thought she was going to wipe the mess off of her finger. Was she going to flick his nose mess onto my carpet? Wipe it onto my chair she was sitting on? Or wipe it on her own clothes?? I literally had to DEMAND that she use a tissue and then DEMAND she wipe her hand off with a diaper wipe.
Yeah, that's gross. I hope you understood I was trying to point out to pp that there were more appropriate ways for dcm to handle the boogers
I take it you're going to pass on this family, right?!
Leigh 09:14 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
Exactly my thought when I read the first post...just what was she going to do with it when she got the boogie out of there?
Josiegirl 09:26 AM 02-10-2015
There is a huge difference between picking some dried stuff off the outside of a child's nose, then washing your hands afterwards and digging for gold, then resisting when offered a baby wipe!! I'm sorry, but I'd be totally grossed out too. And I've handled lots of gross stuff in my past 30+ years as a dcp.
spinnymarie 10:19 AM 02-10-2015
Oh I definitely pull out the ones that are all crusted up out front. And then I wipe it on a kleenex, have them blow their nose, and we all wash hands.
I'm not too grossed out by the nose-picking. But it is SUPER weird that she refused a kleenex when offered?
melilley 10:26 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
Oh I definitely pull out the ones that are all crusted up out front. And then I wipe it on a kleenex, have them blow their nose, and we all wash hands.
I'm not too grossed out by the nose-picking. But it is SUPER weird that she refused a kleenex when offered?

This is me. I will pick my child's nose, but I definitely wash my hands! It doesn't gross me out.
laundrymom 11:14 AM 02-10-2015
I use a wipe as a barrier. Then wash. Bare handed boogies grosses me out.
Unregistered 11:29 AM 02-10-2015
Yes that is gross! I have seen worse I have had two daycare moms wipe snot from their kids face with their hands then wiped it off on their paints. That's just nasty!
Jack Sprat 12:16 PM 02-10-2015
I have a dcm that nose this to dcb who is 9 months. He screams and throws a fit every time. I guess what she was flicking it, not anymore now I had her a tissue. It is so nasty!
Tags:nose pickers
Reply Up