Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Choose Family Childcare Then?
Stephnrich 05:54 AM 06-01-2015
Do any of you have parents that just don't communicate? I have have two sets of families where neither parents do; barely respond to my conversation at drop off/pick up, no email responding, just very unresponsive. I'm not sure why they'd pick family childcare if they're not wanting to communicate with their childcare provider?
Unregistered 06:45 AM 06-01-2015
Honestly, I think you get the same type of parents whether it's a public daycare or home based. Parents aren't getting any better imo. We're getting more self centered parents who are not putting their children first. They aren't interested in communication or rules, nor do many respect their provider's home.

I've had parents come at 6:00 in the morning allowing their children to ring the door bell, kick the door without regard to others sleeping in the home, or even the neighbors. Allowing messy food they bring to drop on the floor etc.....the list goes on.

All you can do is try and enforce rules and communication, and if that fails terminate.
childcaremom 09:22 AM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by Stephnrich:
Do any of you have parents that just don't communicate? I have have two sets of families where neither parents do; barely respond to my conversation at drop off/pick up, no email responding, just very unresponsive. I'm not sure why they'd pick family childcare if they're not wanting to communicate with their childcare provider?
I had a mom like that. I chalked it up to her being shy (which she was). She would barely even say hi to me in the mornings.

Maybe there is a better way to communicate with them? Email, text, phone? You could just ask them which they prefer.

I would actually prefer less conversation at drop off/pick ups than more, but maybe that's just me. I do converse, don't get me wrong, but I don't have time for a long conversation. A simple hello would be nice, though
Play Care 09:29 AM 06-01-2015
They probably chose you because your location was convenient and you were less expensive than a center.
Truthfully the only thing parents want is a safe place to leave their kids while they are working (or not) Most could not care less about any of the other details.

The only people who care are the providers, and State Licensing.
Unregistered 09:53 AM 06-01-2015
Depends, are they ignoring concerns and rules? If they simply don't want to talk about the weather I'm ok with that.

And truthfully there are parents who do pick home daycare because they believe they can get away with more, and it's often less costly. There are all kinds of parents out there like all people.
Annalee 10:26 AM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I had a mom like that. I chalked it up to her being shy (which she was). She would barely even say hi to me in the mornings.

Maybe there is a better way to communicate with them? Email, text, phone? You could just ask them which they prefer.

I would actually prefer less conversation at drop off/pick ups than more, but maybe that's just me. I do converse, don't get me wrong, but I don't have time for a long conversation. A simple hello would be nice, though
I also had a mom like this once. She was very quiet/reserved. Her child stayed with me from birth to kindergarten. Later in life they had another child and I didn't have a spot for him so she quit work and she had been at her job for several years..so she did like us, she just didn't communicate well! This was before text became famous so I wonder if texting would have worked for her.
Starburst 10:28 AM 06-01-2015
To be honest, not all parents see child care or even raising children the same way. Most mom's on here decided to do FCC so they can raise their own children and spend as much time with them when they're little, some mom's can't wait to go back to work and prefer to start really bonding with their kids more when they can walk and talk (some people prefer taking care of preschoolers or schoolagers over babies). Not everyone goes to a home daycare for the community aspect, some just choose it because it tends to be cheaper or they may have friends who take their kids there. If all parents had the same parenting values as you they'd try to have one parent stay home too and all child care providers would be out of a job.

Many parents don't understand how isolating it can be for some people to be only in the presents of children for 8+ hours a day and they are usually in a rush in the morning or tired at the end of the day. Some parents also like to keep the provider/parent relationship strictly business and only descuss if their child had a good or bad day in 100 words or less. When I first started writing my handbook I tried to make it communication/community driven by putting something about a regular conference (once or twice a year) because CD classes always say how that's important in ECE for teacher/parent communication but that's unrealistic in this kind of setting for most parents who just wanna drop off their kid and pick them up and be done.
AmyKidsCo 12:54 PM 06-01-2015
I have one like that right now. The child had been in group care so I don't know if she's just in the habit of not talking much at drop off and pick up, or if she's comfortable enough with me that she doesn't feel the need to talk a lot.
Reply Up