Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any Tips?
Heart12 06:45 AM 01-03-2017
Happy New Year everyone!

I was on Holiday break last week & yesterday. Daycare kids have been here for less then 2hrs & my nerves are already so shot, I am literally shaking. Older DCK are staying home today, but Both babies have been screaming since about 5min after drop-off. They have been fed, changed & burped & are fighting sleep big time. The screams are SO intense, that I had to step outside for air. I knew that after a week away it was going to be rough to come back, but I totally under estimated how bad this would be. I know for a fact that both sets of parents did a ton of traveling over the break & didnt stick to our schedule. Does anyone have any tips for getting babies used to daycare again? Or to help me stay sane today & the days to come? I cannot handle this all day.
Blackcat31 07:00 AM 01-03-2017
Originally Posted by Heart12:
Happy New Year everyone!

I was on Holiday break last week & yesterday. Daycare kids have been here for less then 2hrs & my nerves are already so shot, I am literally shaking. Older DCK are staying home today, but Both babies have been screaming since about 5min after drop-off. They have been fed, changed & burped & are fighting sleep big time. The screams are SO intense, that I had to step outside for air. I knew that after a week away it was going to be rough to come back, but I totally under estimated how bad this would be. I know for a fact that both sets of parents did a ton of traveling over the break & didnt stick to our schedule. Does anyone have any tips for getting babies used to daycare again? Or to help me stay sane today & the days to come? I cannot handle this all day.
...and you don't have too...

If it gets too much to manage, call for pick up.

I have ZERO issues telling parents that transitioning back into daycare after a long break is tough. FOR EVERYONE. Especially when the break was full of festivities and being on the go...

I just tell parents "Baby Johnny is trying hard to re-adjust but he's really struggling and I've managed fine until now (however long you can manage) but the screaming/crying and resisting nap is really wearing on everyone's nerves so you are going to have to cut your day short and come pick up Baby Johnny. Maybe if he gets amount of rest this afternoon, he'll be ready to go again tomorrow. Thanks see you shortly!"

I KNOW that is not the route a lot of providers would go... but I would.

NO WAY I'd be willing to put up with non-stop screaming/crying because parents jammed their holiday so full of activities and travel that Baby Johnny got his internal clock screwed up...

I don't get paid enough to suck up other people's lack of preparation.
Cat Herder 07:13 AM 01-03-2017
I eased things a bit with the infants by dimming lights, stringing up left over Christmas white blinking lights, playing classical music and audio books. I gave the toddlers mini flashlights, 4-way tunnel and pop up tents. It helped, some.

Treating diaper rashes & constipation, adding extra proteins to meals and lengthening nap times also helped a lot.
JackandJill 10:26 AM 01-03-2017
If there is truly nothing to help soothe them, than I agree, its time for an early pick up!
Heart12 06:28 AM 01-04-2017
Thanks for the advice!

Yesterday was ROUGH. 1 baby took a really long nap & it helped him be happy throughout the rest of the day. DCM had even warned me in the morning that he may be off because of a lot of Holiday traveling. She even said to call her if he needed to go home. I try to not call this DCM unless absolutely necessary because she's so paranoid & I cant stand her "Only Mommy can fix it" attitude. So I like to (without stressing myself too much) prove her wrong. Im a stinker like that

The other baby... I was mostly annoyed because I could tell that he had been spoiled rotten (even more than usual) over the break. Every time I would go out of his sight (still in the same room) he would lose it. DCD annoyed me last night at pick up because he asked how the day went & without saying the words "you spoiled him all week & now hes having a hard time adjusting" I kindly & strategically guided him in the direction to admit that himself. It worked. He admitted that they held him/stayed in his face all week. But then quickly followed up asking how the other daycare kids acted. Every time I say anything other then "DCB had a great day" he inquires about the other kids. Ugh. Worry about your own! Today DCM came in saying, Sorry DCB had a rough day yesterday. So I just kindly & strategically guided her in the same direction as DCD & she admitted too that DCB had been spoiled all week & apologized. So I reminded her that while I have a lot of patience, I'm sure she doesnt want her baby crying all day because hes having a hard time transitioning back into group care. Hopefully she got the memo! So far, today has been better though!
Ariana 06:56 AM 01-04-2017
That is why calling for pickup is so important like BlackCat suggested. If the parents have to pay the consequence for poor behavior they will be more willing to follow your routine at home. The fact is they are not getting any consequences because you are the one hearing him cry. I would turn it back to them for sure!
Reply Up