Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Water Table Aprons
Jupadia 02:14 PM 09-08-2017
Hey all,

My husband built us a wonderful water table. But of course kids get wet while playing with water. I've tried to use a simple apron (no arms) but they work better for painting then water since the toddlers get very wet and preschools get wet pants cause there not long enough. Mostly I find with the toddlers that water runs down arms and onto clothing.
What do you use and how effective is it at keeping the kids mostly dry?
Thanks for the help.
Attached: 22.jpg (109.7 KB) 
CalCare 06:26 PM 09-08-2017
Hi! So, I have a question. I don't use a water table because my concern is that someone will need to go to the bathroom and I have to go with them, and now I can't leave the water unattended. So, it has to be dumped out? How do people manage water tables with no other adult? I do water play but it's either I let them fill a couple buckets in the sandbox or I fill a small container with water and I don't mind dumping that if needed. It's the big plastic boxes that come with the toy organizers... That's what I use...
CalCare 06:30 PM 09-08-2017
DSC_0001.jpg
I hope this works! Trying to attach a pic of what I do.. I'd rather do a water table, but how?
Attached:
Jupadia 07:44 PM 09-08-2017
Originally Posted by CalCare:
Hi! So, I have a question. I don't use a water table because my concern is that someone will need to go to the bathroom and I have to go with them, and now I can't leave the water unattended. So, it has to be dumped out? How do people manage water tables with no other adult? I do water play but it's either I let them fill a couple buckets in the sandbox or I fill a small container with water and I don't mind dumping that if needed. It's the big plastic boxes that come with the toy organizers... That's what I use...
I have a lid on mine. It's just a simple storage bin on a wood stand (that still needs staining)
But if I have a preschooler who needs to go I can watch them go down the stairs and just almost see them enter washroom. I'll hold door open and keep eye on kids playing outside. If it's warm ( and it is cause they sre playing with water) and for a diaper change then I use a mat and have a bag of diaper supplies outside with me. Toddlers I(potty training ones) break down and take everyone inside.
daycare 07:19 AM 09-09-2017
I'm also in CA and I found these water tables with kids. They are sold in sections of 4. They were approved by licensing that I could leave it filled with water and put the lid on and be ok. Let me see if I can find the link. I think I found them on discount school supply.
CalCare 09:26 AM 09-09-2017
Cool thanks! Awesome if you find the link I'll try to find what you mean
daycare 01:33 PM 09-09-2017
http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...3804&Category=

Looks like they sell them in set of two now.
e.j. 01:44 PM 09-09-2017
We do water play first thing when we head outside and only if it's very warm and sunny. The kids do get wet but since I fill the water tables as soon as we get outside and end play about a half hour or so before heading back inside, they have time to dry off. If the kids' clothes are still damp when it's time to go inside, I just change them into dry clothes. Most have water shoes or sandals that dry quickly. Wet sneakers are placed outside in the sun to dry. I never thought of using aprons () and think it's a great idea. I may get some plastic ones that will keep them at least a little drier than than stay now. Thanks for the idea; I'm sorry I couldn't give you more helpful advice!
e.j. 02:17 PM 09-09-2017
While I'm applying sunscreen, I have the older kids take turns using the bathroom and change the younger kids' diapers. The kids know that if we have to head inside to use the bathroom, there's a chance we may not be going back out, depending on the timing. As a result, most kids do their best to use the bathroom and we rarely have someone who can't wait to use it until we head back inside.

If someone does need to use the bathroom, though, and the child is old enough, I send that child inside alone. As long as it's warm enough to have the bathroom window open, I can stand at a point on my patio where I can hear what's going on in the bathroom and still hear/see the kids in the yard. If I need to change a poopy diaper, all bets are off and we head inside. Since the kids are all with me, I don't empty the water table for the few minutes we're inside. I just change the diaper and head back out with everyone. If it's late enough and makes more sense to stay inside for lunch after I change the diaper, I empty the tables before heading inside with the kids.
Ariana 10:52 PM 09-09-2017
I use my water table in the bathroom. My bathroom is pretty big and is tiled so it just makes sense. It also has a lid. I lay a bunch of towels down to avoid slipping.

I never protect the kids from getting wet. Before we start I bring all the kids extra clothes either outside or wherever the water table is and then when they are done I change them one by one. Poopy diapers can wait until we go inside.
LK5kids 12:07 AM 09-10-2017
I have the water table available most days all summer long.

Along with the water table I may also have available large bubble wands and bubbles, the baby bath - my husband built a low table and I have a real baby bath tub, baby wash cloths, pump soap bottle, duckies, etc. and / or the sand kitchen which has water available. Parents know we have lots if messy fun!

I don't use aprons either. The kids dry off fairly quickly and really don't get that wet. If they do I may change their shirt or hang it to dry during lunch.

For me the water table is so fun and the hassle of providing aprons, getting them on and off, getting them hung up, dried and put away each day would drive me nuts!
Mom2Two 11:33 AM 09-11-2017
Like another poster said, we do water play earlier in our outdoor time, and let the kids play for a while in warm weather to dry off. If a baby got soaked (I have a very flat water table as well as one on legs) I would change clothing.

I also have indoor water tables, but I don't have them out all the time. They are flat on the floor, and I set them on towels, and I also have towels that the kids put on their laps to help protect from getting wet.
flying_babyb 09:36 PM 09-12-2017
we use smocks that have arms! works out great (also makes wonderful dinner bibs)
Tags:apron, water table
Reply Up