Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can't Be Around The Kids.....
daycare 01:19 PM 10-26-2017
I just got off the phone with my doctor. I am about to have major surgery in a few weeks.

The doctor told me that he does not want me around the DCKs one week prior to surgery as it will be at the height of the cold and flu season and if I have any noise in my lungs they will not do the surgery and need to reschedule. I can not reschedule as I have already paid to fly my mother out to help me as well as moved all of my employees around.

Of course I can get sick anywhere, but as the doctor said, I am most likely to get sick from the kids.

I am not too sure how to go about this. I do have 4 employees, but for the most part, I can't be gone a full week.

I am trying to wrap my head around this. I was thinking that I could say I am going to limit my exposure and will firm up my illness policy to zero colds of any kind during this week.

Help and thoughts on this. please. I need to figure out what I am going to tell the parents and how and what to do.

thanks in advance.
Mom2Two 01:21 PM 10-26-2017
Could any of your employees be in charge for a week and get some temporary help as well if needed?

Even if you had to pay through the nose, it might be worth it for the peace of mind. Maybe your most responsible employee would be willing to have a big bonus for a lot of extra hours for one week. ???
daycare 01:27 PM 10-26-2017
yeah I could do that. but then where do I go that I won't get sick..lol I could stay upstairs but that would be horrible for a full week,
MomBoss 01:28 PM 10-26-2017
Maybe do a stricter policy like you said and wear a face mask (one that filters the air) and gloves?
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 01:30 PM 10-26-2017
Can you use ppe for the week along limiting direct contact as much as possible? Gloves at all times, mask, and clothes that are changed before leaving/entering daycare environment? Just brainstorming...
Ariana 01:30 PM 10-26-2017
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
Maybe do a stricter policy like you said and wear a face mask (one that filters the air) and gloves?
I would do this. Explain the situation and let parents know anyone with a cold will be immediately turned away. I would then wear gloves and face mask and get the assistants to do most of the work.
Blackcat31 01:31 PM 10-26-2017
Even non-symptomatic kids can bring in viruses and illness so tightening up your illness policy might not be really helpful.

In my honest opinion... I think you should just straight up close. Your health is much more important.

It's a week. (5 days) I'm sure most of your families would understand and those that don't...well...like I said your health should take top priority. period.

I am sorry you are having so many health issues this year.
Because of that, I think closing is best. You definitely need it.

No one else is going to put you first.
Sometimes you just need to do what you need to do.

daycare 01:34 PM 10-26-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Even non-symptomatic kids can bring in viruses and illness so tightening up your illness policy might not be really helpful.

In my honest opinion... I think you should just straight up close. Your health is much more important.

It's a week. (5 days) I'm sure most of your families would understand and those that don't...well...like I said your health should take top priority. period.

I am sorry you are having so many health issues this year.
Because of that, I think closing is best. You definitely need it.

No one else is going to put you first.
Sometimes you just need to do what you need to do.

thanks everyone. I wish I could close for the week. If I would have known this earlier I would have done it. But my contract states I need to give them a 30 day notice. OH and I agree about the whole no symptoms and I can still get sick.

I am also going through a divorce, so things are pretty crazy right now. that's why I have not been on here.

oh tis the season....

thank you all for the ideas. I think the gloves and mask will be very ideal and I can always limit myself coming into the childcare.
Blackcat31 01:37 PM 10-26-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
thanks everyone. I wish I could close for the week. If I would have known this earlier I would have done it. But my contract states I need to give them a 30 day notice. OH and I agree about the whole no symptoms and I can still get sick.

I am also going through a divorce, so things are pretty crazy right now. that's why I have not been on here.

oh tis the season....

thank you all for the ideas. I think the gloves and mask will be very ideal and I can always limit myself coming into the childcare.
You are self-employed. Things happen. Life happens.

If your clients don't understand your inability to provide a 30 day notice they are heartless and/or selfish or both.

Sometimes things happen that prevent us from following our contracts to a tee. In this case with some open honest communication I can't imagine why any of them wouldnt understand.

Again, I am so sorry you are dealing with so much.
daycare 02:01 PM 10-26-2017
this is true and I do have some great parents right now'
sharlan 02:06 PM 10-26-2017
Even if you closed for a week, you still have a child in school who is exposed to other children Your family will bring the germs to you.

The only way to avoid germs would be to go into total quarantine. Not sure how you could accomplish that.

I suggest upping the hand washing for everyone and boost your immune system with vitamins/essential oils.

Thoughts and prayers for a safe surgery and quick recovery.
daycare 02:10 PM 10-26-2017
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Even if you closed for a week, you still have a child in school who is exposed to other children Your family will bring the germs to you.

The only way to avoid germs would be to go into total quarantine. Not sure how you could accomplish that.

I suggest upping the hand washing for everyone and boost your immune system with vitamins/essential oils.

Thoughts and prayers for a safe surgery and quick recovery.
very true. I cant use any pills, vitamins or such two weeks prior to surgery...so I am going to be unarmed. ugh

I agree with you though that I can't avoid people.

i think I will take this as an opportunity to teach and share this with the children. We can all get face masks and I can do a curriculm on it. then I can prepare them for what my recovery will look like too
Unregistered 05:47 PM 10-26-2017
Even if the kids don't have colds..what about parents that are dropping off and picking up they can bring in germs too.
lblanke 07:59 PM 10-26-2017
Masks, hand washing, Lysol and Clorox wipes for everything, kids wash hands with antibacterial soap upon arrival and multiple times per day. Kids masks at slightest runny nose, tight illness policy, eat right and get plenty of rest before surgery, light exercise if it's your thing. Best of luck.
AmyKidsCo 08:08 PM 10-26-2017
Personally I agree that you should close. If you were in a car accident and were hospitalized for a week you wouldn't be able to give them 30 days notice - this isn't much different.

But if you definitely can't close, what about offering the parents credit toward the following week's fees if they shorten their hours or keep their children home? Then have your employees care for the children while you camp out upstairs in case of emergency. IF you have to come downstairs do the mask, gloves, change clothes thing.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...
daycare 07:48 AM 10-27-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Personally I agree that you should close. If you were in a car accident and were hospitalized for a week you wouldn't be able to give them 30 days notice - this isn't much different.

But if you definitely can't close, what about offering the parents credit toward the following week's fees if they shorten their hours or keep their children home? Then have your employees care for the children while you camp out upstairs in case of emergency. IF you have to come downstairs do the mask, gloves, change clothes thing.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...
Thank you all for your feedback and insight. All of this came with good planning on my part for an unexpected surgery and I did not see this coming at all. I am going to do my best to close and see what comes of it.

Happy Friday Everyone!
laundrymom 11:54 AM 10-27-2017
I would also wash everyone's hands immediately at arrival. And do more hands off activities. Stay up and away as much as possible. Do loads of relaxed play. And clean like a mad person. Lol.
Seriously though, I can't wait to read that you are recovering nicely and bouncing back to normal.
Josiegirl 03:07 PM 10-29-2017
Cannot add any more suggestions that haven't already been offered up but want to wish you the VERY BEST in recovery and healing thoughts!!
Take care of you first. And lean on others when you need to. I know providers are a nurturing breed but sometimes you have to let the tables turn and be taken care of yourself.
Please keep us posted.
Tags:closed from sickness, surgery
Reply Up