Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To Hold An Open Spot Or Not?
MonkeyingAround 07:23 PM 01-16-2013
Hello!

I am new to the daycare world and have a question for everyone.

I had someone call me today about daycare (she's a friend of my neighbor). She is due with her first baby in April. She's also a teacher. She is looking at daycare now but won't need care until school starts back in August.

I'd LOVE to watch her baby because the hours she'd need as a teacher are perfect (pretty much the same as the other kids I watch). I do have an open spot now too.

Would you hold a spot for the baby? If so, do you charge a holding fee?

For those who watch teacher's kids...do you charge anything during the summer to hold their spots? Also how do you handle christmas and spring break? I almost feel like teacher's should have their own "clause" in my contract. LOL.

Thanks in advance!!!
Melissa
Nickel 07:44 PM 01-16-2013
I held a spot for someone on more than one occasion and both times that person didn't start and caused me to lose money. Honestly, you don't know what is going to happen from now until August. I would keep her on my mind, but would not necessarily hold the spot. If you find someone that fits well with your program, I would start them, you never know what is going to happen between now and Aug. So don't count on someone that far away.

Also, as far as summers, I personally do not charge a holding fee. I don't have teachers, but I have a lot of college students. I do not charge them for time off between semesters, summer, or spring break. Every other time, they pay the same every week. So they don't get any additional vacation time without pay. The reason is because I WANT summers off. I WANT that time to spend with my children. I would rather be closed, or have less children because I can do more with my own children.

I do have a completely separate contract for my college student parents. My other families only get 2 free weeks of vacation per year, so they don't need to know that my other dcf get special if you know what I mean.

I also know when breaks are ahead of time so I can budget for them. It all depends on what YOU want. Do you want summers off? Can you afford NOT to charge them? It's all up to you and what you want/need.

That's just my two cents
Heidi 06:22 AM 01-17-2013
I am holding a spot now for similar circumstances.

I had them put down a 2-week, non-refundable deposit, agreed not to charge them for summers off (and hold that deposit for their spot), and they do pay me for other breaks, including Christmas break.

This is a very nice family, mom teacher, dad attorney. Educated, sweet people are not in huge supply around here, so I was willing to negotiate. On the other hand, high-quality infant care is also not in huge supply around here, so we both get something out of it.
AnneCordelia 08:07 AM 01-17-2013
My teacher's families get this deal:
They must pay for Christmas Break and Spring Break and their children may NOT attend daycare during those weeks. It is this fee that reserves their spot in September. They do not have to pay for the summer vacation (because they paid for Christmas and Spring break). This way I get my summers completely off of my teacher's kids (better for me, because I have 3 school agers myself who I'd rather spend a lighter summer with). I know a provider near me who charges 1/2 fees for summer but the kids may attend for 2 days a week. This wouldn't work for me because I like the lighter load of children all summer. It all depends on what you're looking for. What do other providers near you do?
MonkeyingAround 10:21 AM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I am holding a spot now for similar circumstances.

I had them put down a 2-week, non-refundable deposit, agreed not to charge them for summers off (and hold that deposit for their spot), and they do pay me for other breaks, including Christmas break.

This is a very nice family, mom teacher, dad attorney. Educated, sweet people are not in huge supply around here, so I was willing to negotiate. On the other hand, high-quality infant care is also not in huge supply around here, so we both get something out of it.
So does that 2 week deposit count as their first 2 weeks of tuition?
MonkeyingAround 10:27 AM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
My teacher's families get this deal:
They must pay for Christmas Break and Spring Break and their children may NOT attend daycare during those weeks. It is this fee that reserves their spot in September. They do not have to pay for the summer vacation (because they paid for Christmas and Spring break). This way I get my summers completely off of my teacher's kids (better for me, because I have 3 school agers myself who I'd rather spend a lighter summer with). I know a provider near me who charges 1/2 fees for summer but the kids may attend for 2 days a week. This wouldn't work for me because I like the lighter load of children all summer. It all depends on what you're looking for. What do other providers near you do?
That sounds fair. I like that!

I'm not sure what others do in the area...I am new to the area and have yet to find a local daycare group.
Tags:holding spot
Reply Up