Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-10-2018, 03:47 PM
BGM's Avatar
BGM BGM is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 96
Default Sign In Times

So, I have this parent that signs in and out using military time. I don't know why, but it's really annoying because allllll of the other parents use regular time, so when I'm logging hours for my taxes or going through the attendance sheets, his time always throws me off because it's completely different than the others.

Do you think it would be too much to ask him to just use normal time when he signs his kid in so my time sheets are uniform or is that too anal?

I mean, I have a clock that shows the time and he still converts it to military time. C'mon man....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-10-2018, 06:45 PM
ColorfulSunburst's Avatar
ColorfulSunburst ColorfulSunburst is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bronx, New York
Posts: 643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post

I mean, I have a clock that shows the time and he still converts it to military time. C'mon man....
maybe he originally is from some other country. For example, in Russia, all people use "military time" but no one calls it as military time.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-10-2018, 07:58 PM
storybookending's Avatar
storybookending storybookending is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,493
Default

The local clinic/hospital uses military time and all of those parents sign in/out using it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-11-2018, 03:41 AM
DaveA's Avatar
DaveA DaveA is online now
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storybookending View Post
The local clinic/hospital uses military time and all of those parents sign in/out using it.
That's what I was thinking. DW went from the Navy to healthcare field. Any time written down is military time. It's just habit to her.

ETA: I would let this one go. If he's anything like DW it's a pattern that won't change.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-11-2018, 04:26 AM
Gemma's Avatar
Gemma Gemma is online now
Childcare Provider
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 1,064
Default

I'm originally from Italy, and they use military time there. I remember for a while it wasn't easy for me to remember to use am/pm, so I'm guessing if he's in the habit of using military time at work, it could just be a hard habit to break.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-11-2018, 05:30 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,861
Default

I just write the time and date in myself before handing them the clipboard for signatures. Much less room for them to wiggle in as well. Things like them writing in 530 at 539 to avoid the $9 charge and all.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-11-2018, 06:04 AM
Mad_Pistachio's Avatar
Mad_Pistachio Mad_Pistachio is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 619
Default

I grew up with 24 hours instead of 12 am/pm. it comes automatically, and I set my phone, tablet, and watch to it. yeah, I did catch strange looks when my watch showed 16:15 at 4:15pm and whenever I put my time in the timesheet at work, I have to do it in military time because 0500 will be translated by the system as 5am (whereas 5pm is 1700). learned it the hard way after being asked by a supervisor what I was doing at the library at 5 in the morning

I never tried to put military time on any DC timesheets. mental conversion comes automatically. maybe the DCD has mostly 24-hr around him, including his phone/watch, and just writes what he sees.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-11-2018, 06:34 AM
LittleExplorers's Avatar
LittleExplorers LittleExplorers is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 440
Default

I would let it go and just write it next to it daily in the form you want. My husband was in the military for 13 years and no matter how hard he might try to remember if asked, he just wouldn't due to that. In the grand scheme of things, it seems to be a small inconvenience.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-11-2018, 06:53 AM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is online now
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,796
Default

I personally can handle military time, my dad would use military time all the time and I just got use to it. What I am not personally use to is military dates. Example today would be 11-10-2018. Day month year.
I had a dcm that dated everything this way just for fun. She had no military background, she just liked to make herself look smarter. Hmm wonder if that was reason she was fired.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-11-2018, 06:58 AM
boy_mom's Avatar
boy_mom boy_mom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
That's what I was thinking. DW went from the Navy to healthcare field. Any time written down is military time. It's just habit to her.

ETA: I would let this one go. If he's anything like DW it's a pattern that won't change.
This! My husband is a navy vet and now a paramedic.... it's just his habit! If dcd is good in all other areas, I would just let it go!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-11-2018, 07:15 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,861
Default

Anyone prior military, who made it more than a few weeks, knows how to follow simple directions. I don't buy it can't be done.

Yes, DCD, we get you served; "Thanks for your service". Now let's get with the program at home, please.

My DH is also former military and we both are medics. Silly to think we can't adapt to change, IMHO.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-11-2018, 07:19 AM
boy_mom's Avatar
boy_mom boy_mom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 209
Default

I dont think it's that he cant follow rules, I'm sure dcd would adapt it she asked! But if she hasn't mentioned it, he is probably just in the habit of writing it that way....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Mad_Pistachio's Avatar
Mad_Pistachio Mad_Pistachio is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 284878 View Post
I personally can handle military time, my dad would use military time all the time and I just got use to it. What I am not personally use to is military dates. Example today would be 11-10-2018. Day month year.
I had a dcm that dated everything this way just for fun. She had no military background, she just liked to make herself look smarter. Hmm wonder if that was reason she was fired.
I got married November 10, 2012. military date makes it much easier to remember: 10-11-12
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-11-2018, 09:56 AM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,048
Default

Feels nitpicky to me. But if it makes it easier just write it the way you are comfortable with right next to the child's name when he leaves.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-11-2018, 10:08 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio View Post
I got married November 10, 2012. military date makes it much easier to remember: 10-11-12
NEAT!!!


It would honestly annoy the heck out of me, too. To be 100% honest, it would depend how much I liked the family. Good family, probably wouldn't say anything. Late pick ups/early drop offs, late payments or something that made the log necessary to keep additional track of? I'd probably ask.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-11-2018, 10:24 AM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,250
Default

I am sure that the OP can translate just fine. It's just one more step she shouldn't have to do. Her paperwork isn't that way.

I would ask dcd to write it like everyone else.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-11-2018, 10:37 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
So, I have this parent that signs in and out using military time. I don't know why, but it's really annoying because allllll of the other parents use regular time, so when I'm logging hours for my taxes or going through the attendance sheets, his time always throws me off because it's completely different than the others.

Do you think it would be too much to ask him to just use normal time when he signs his kid in so my time sheets are uniform or is that too anal?

I mean, I have a clock that shows the time and he still converts it to military time. C'mon man....
Can I ask you why?
Does your state require you to turn in your sign in/out sheets?
Is it just that an entry using military time just looks different on the sign in/out sheet?

Depending on your reasoning, my answer will differ.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-11-2018, 11:14 AM
BGM's Avatar
BGM BGM is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Can I ask you why?
Does your state require you to turn in your sign in/out sheets?
Is it just that an entry using military time just looks different on the sign in/out sheet?

Depending on your reasoning, my answer will differ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
I am sure that the OP can translate just fine. It's just one more step she shouldn't have to do. Her paperwork isn't that way.

I would ask dcd to write it like everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
NEAT!!!


It would honestly annoy the heck out of me, too. To be 100% honest, it would depend how much I liked the family. Good family, probably wouldn't say anything. Late pick ups/early drop offs, late payments or something that made the log necessary to keep additional track of? I'd probably ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Anyone prior military, who made it more than a few weeks, knows how to follow simple directions. I don't buy it can't be done.

Yes, DCD, we get you served; "Thanks for your service". Now let's get with the program at home, please.

My DH is also former military and we both are medics. Silly to think we can't adapt to change, IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy_mom View Post
I dont think it's that he cant follow rules, I'm sure dcd would adapt it she asked! But if she hasn't mentioned it, he is probably just in the habit of writing it that way....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 284878 View Post
I personally can handle military time, my dad would use military time all the time and I just got use to it. What I am not personally use to is military dates. Example today would be 11-10-2018. Day month year.
I had a dcm that dated everything this way just for fun. She had no military background, she just liked to make herself look smarter. Hmm wonder if that was reason she was fired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio View Post
I grew up with 24 hours instead of 12 am/pm. it comes automatically, and I set my phone, tablet, and watch to it. yeah, I did catch strange looks when my watch showed 16:15 at 4:15pm and whenever I put my time in the timesheet at work, I have to do it in military time because 0500 will be translated by the system as 5am (whereas 5pm is 1700). learned it the hard way after being asked by a supervisor what I was doing at the library at 5 in the morning

I never tried to put military time on any DC timesheets. mental conversion comes automatically. maybe the DCD has mostly 24-hr around him, including his phone/watch, and just writes what he sees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
I'm originally from Italy, and they use military time there. I remember for a while it wasn't easy for me to remember to use am/pm, so I'm guessing if he's in the habit of using military time at work, it could just be a hard habit to break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst View Post
maybe he originally is from some other country. For example, in Russia, all people use "military time" but no one calls it as military time.
I don't think he was in the military and he's from Wisconsin
I think he does it because he's into computers and is one of those "I'm super smart" types. He's alluded to his higher intelligence before
I do set my computer up so that the time is displayed right in front of the time sheet. So he sees the time, translates it and then writes it down

I can interpret it, it's just another step that I don't want to do as Meeko said.

Why I don't like it is because when I'm double checking attendance vs food program records or tallying my hours worked vs children in attendance for my taxes (which I try to do throughout the year instead of in April like I did last year), I'll be on a roll and then I'll see military time peppered throughout and it stalls my otherwise smooth translation from the sheet to whatever I'm doing.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-13-2018, 09:39 AM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
I don't think he was in the military and he's from Wisconsin
I think he does it because he's into computers and is one of those "I'm super smart" types. He's alluded to his higher intelligence before
I do set my computer up so that the time is displayed right in front of the time sheet. So he sees the time, translates it and then writes it down

I can interpret it, it's just another step that I don't want to do as Meeko said.


Why I don't like it is because when I'm double checking attendance vs food program records or tallying my hours worked vs children in attendance for my taxes (which I try to do throughout the year instead of in April like I did last year), I'll be on a roll and then I'll see military time peppered throughout and it stalls my otherwise smooth translation from the sheet to whatever I'm doing.
Do you use kidkare? I use military time in kidkare because it's easier than remembering to hit a P before I hit enter
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-16-2018, 07:52 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwichlaz View Post
Do you use kidkare? I use military time in kidkare because it's easier than remembering to hit a P before I hit enter
Brilliant.

I am so sick of that P I can't even tell you. If they are logging out the assumption should be that it is P, not A, again. Grrr...
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-16-2018, 01:00 PM
CityGarden's Avatar
CityGarden CityGarden is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: The Happiest Place on Earth
Posts: 1,667
Default

I like to pick my battles, so I would let this go. Likely right after drop off and pick up I would just write the time in myself.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
arrival times, attendance, sign in sheet, tacticool

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sign In & Out mia Forms - Uploads 12 05-22-2014 09:56 AM
Soon to be Divorced Parents Sign Contracts? Separately? Logged out Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 10-31-2013 01:04 PM
Sign Language lovemykidstoo Parents and Guardians Forum 22 04-15-2013 06:30 PM
Sign for daycare DCMama Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 08-08-2012 05:48 PM
Registered User - Can't Sign Up! Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 12-14-2009 06:14 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:52 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming