Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Changing Days
cara041083 07:01 AM 04-01-2015
I need opinions. I have a parent that works 3 days a week and pays for the full time spot. She sends me a schedule on Sundays, and some weeks she use's 3 days, some weeks 4 days, and some weeks all 5 days. Which I am 100% totally fine with. I don't care if they bring her all 5 days. As long as I know on Sunday what her DCG's schedule is, and it is within the 9 hour block that they pay for I am good. My problem is, a couple months ago, I started getting random texts from mom, that would say" they changed her shift and she needs to drop off at an earlier time. I have always said ok Since it was still in the 9 hours they contracted me for. It has started to become a regular thing, but I figured as long as it was for work and not "just because" I didn't mind. Well last week mom was on vacation, and brought her for the whole 9 hours everyday. I didn't care I knew the deal on Sunday like normal. Well this week, dad is on vacation. He showed up an hour early yesterday to bring her. I was told Sunday that she WOULD NOT be here today since mom was off. Dad made the comment to me at pick up that he thought that she was coming today and said " I will see you tomorrow". So I don't know how to handle it. Yes they pay for the spot regardless if its 3 days, 4 days or 5 days which is fine as long as I know about it. I need to let them know that they need to stick to the schedule and can't change it as they please. I also don't want to take her today. Its not that shes a bad kid, I just need them to understand that It doesn't work like that. I do realize this may set me up for having her all 9 hours, 5 days a week from here on out, but I need them to understand that they don't own me and can't come and go as they please. Do I have the right to refuse care today? Part of me feels like they paid for the day so I have to take her. I also think it is time to redo my contract and maybe charge them a different rate depending on how many days I have her? I am just at a loss as to what to do.
Unregistered 07:22 AM 04-01-2015
If your contract says they must give you a schedule in advance and stick to it, then you have every right to refuse care, imo. I would say something like, "According to the schedule you gave me for the week, dcg is not scheduled for today, so I will not be able to provide care. I plan meals and supplies based on the number of children I will have for the day , so I will not be able to accommodate last minute changes to the schedule." Or something like that. Some parents just don't understand how it inconveniences you, so I would nip it in the bud, but definitely be prepared for them to put 5 days on their schedule every week from now on.
Blackcat31 08:05 AM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by cara041083:
I need opinions. I have a parent that works 3 days a week and pays for the full time spot. She sends me a schedule on Sundays, and some weeks she use's 3 days, some weeks 4 days, and some weeks all 5 days. Which I am 100% totally fine with. I don't care if they bring her all 5 days. As long as I know on Sunday what her DCG's schedule is, and it is within the 9 hour block that they pay for I am good. My problem is, a couple months ago, I started getting random texts from mom, that would say" they changed her shift and she needs to drop off at an earlier time. I have always said ok Since it was still in the 9 hours they contracted me for. It has started to become a regular thing, but I figured as long as it was for work and not "just because" I didn't mind. Well last week mom was on vacation, and brought her for the whole 9 hours everyday. I didn't care I knew the deal on Sunday like normal. Well this week, dad is on vacation. He showed up an hour early yesterday to bring her. I was told Sunday that she WOULD NOT be here today since mom was off. Dad made the comment to me at pick up that he thought that she was coming today and said " I will see you tomorrow". So I don't know how to handle it. Yes they pay for the spot regardless if its 3 days, 4 days or 5 days which is fine as long as I know about it. I need to let them know that they need to stick to the schedule and can't change it as they please. I also don't want to take her today. Its not that shes a bad kid, I just need them to understand that It doesn't work like that. I do realize this may set me up for having her all 9 hours, 5 days a week from here on out, but I need them to understand that they don't own me and can't come and go as they please. Do I have the right to refuse care today? Part of me feels like they paid for the day so I have to take her. I also think it is time to redo my contract and maybe charge them a different rate depending on how many days I have her? I am just at a loss as to what to do.
"ALL schedules must be in writing. ANY changes after submitting a written schedule MUST be a minimum of 24 hours in advance regardless of reason.

NO care/services will be provided other than days AND times written on the schedule. Provider reserves the right to refuse care on those day in which care was not scheduled or requested within 24 hours of drop off."

I would send this memo home with ALL parents. I would let them know that unless the DCG is scheduled, there will no services.

The pay/rate they have is not so they can use you at their beck and call, it's to reserve their space on those days they need to SCHEDULE their child.

See the common theme? Schedule.

I understand that mom has occasional shift changes but I highly doubt that she is not given notice of these changes.

Next time she tries to change the written schedule via text, just reply "I understand but unfortunately am not able to accommodate this change without advance notice. See you (whenever next scheduled day is)"

When you put it back on them, they will suddenly be able to schedule in advance in almost 99% of the time.
finsup 09:00 AM 04-01-2015
Yup, let them know that last minute changes are not allowed and follow through on not providing care. I have a family that tries this and I had to get very strict with them and not provide care a few times before they stopped doing it.
Annalee 09:22 AM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
"ALL schedules must be in writing. ANY changes after submitting a written schedule MUST be a minimum of 24 hours in advance regardless of reason.

NO care/services will be provided other than days AND times written on the schedule. Provider reserves the right to refuse care on those day in which care was not scheduled or requested within 24 hours of drop off."

I would send this memo home with ALL parents. I would let them know that unless the DCG is scheduled, there will no services.

The pay/rate they have is not so they can use you at their beck and call, it's to reserve their space on those days they need to SCHEDULE their child.

I understand that mom has occasional shift changes but I highly doubt that she is not given notice of these changes.

Next time she tries to change the written schedule via text, just reply "I understand but unfortunately am not able to accommodate this change without advance notice. See you (whenever next scheduled day is)"

When you put it back on them, they will suddenly be able to schedule in advance in almost 99% of the time.
I had a mom like this who would text late the evening before wanting to change days, hours and I developed an individual contract for her. It said something like "xxx is contracted for xxxx days a week. All other days will be at the discretion of xxx and determined on an individual basis". She was paying all week as well but it got out of hand how she wanted to change things so often. After telling her "no" a couple times, she stopped asking
cara041083 09:48 AM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Thank you sooo much. I have spent the morning updating my contract and plan to give it out next week so this helps me alot
Thriftylady 01:43 PM 04-01-2015
All my contracts list dates and times as much as possible. For those who have changing ones, I list days and hours of the days as much as possible and add a clause for "schedules will be given to provider on XX each week. Just because I am open doesn't mean your child is scheduled. I plan meals, snacks and activities based on who I expect to be here and tell parents that.
cara041083 07:53 PM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
All my contracts list dates and times as much as possible. For those who have changing ones, I list days and hours of the days as much as possible and add a clause for "schedules will be given to provider on XX each week. Just because I am open doesn't mean your child is scheduled. I plan meals, snacks and activities based on who I expect to be here and tell parents that.
Awesome! Thanks
Reply Up