Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-02-2020, 09:18 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,862
Default 2019 Attendance Record Hours or Hours of Operation?

Q: In your Time/Space Calculations do you calculate based on *Attendance Records* hours or *Hours of Operation* hours?

I have always believed we were supposed to go by *Attendance Records* hours but don't feel I should be penalized if kids show up late. I was at work on time.

My husband does not lose time from his home office hours if no one calls or emails first thing in the morning, why should I? Valid question.

Thoughts?
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-02-2020, 09:27 AM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,032
Default Time-Space%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Q: In your Time/Space Calculations do you calculate based on *Attendance Records* hours or *Hours of Operation* hours?

I have always believed we were supposed to go by *Attendance Records* hours but don't feel I should be penalized if kids show up late. I was at work on time.

My husband does not lose time from his home office hours if no one calls or emails first thing in the morning, why should I? Valid question.

Thoughts?
If you open at 7am and no child shows up before 6:30am, you can't count this half hour just because you are open. However, if you are doing some business activity during that time, you can count the half hour.
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-02-2020, 09:43 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCopeland View Post
If you open at 7am and no child shows up before 6:30am, you can't count this half hour just because you are open. However, if you are doing some business activity during that time, you can count the half hour.
Why? Where can I find this info?
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-02-2020, 09:50 AM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,032
Default Time-Space%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Why? Where can I find this info?
There is no IRS publication that says you can or can't count an hour you are open but don't care for children. However, if you aren't caring for children you aren't using your home for your business (unless you are doing some business activity). Your home transfers back to being personal when children aren't present. Otherwise, a provider could say she's open 24 hours a day and claim 24 hours even though children are only there for 11 hours. If a providers was audited she won't win this argument.
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-02-2020, 10:04 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCopeland View Post
There is no IRS publication that says you can or can't count an hour you are open but don't care for children. However, if you aren't caring for children you aren't using your home for your business (unless you are doing some business activity). Your home transfers back to being personal when children aren't present. Otherwise, a provider could say she's open 24 hours a day and claim 24 hours even though children are only there for 11 hours. If a providers was audited she won't win this argument.
I wanted to make sure you knew I was not intending to argue with you. I truly do not understand why I lose hours when my husband, who also works from home, does not.

My business hours are only 10 hours per day (7:30-5:30). The problem is that during summer and school breaks my clients (teachers/one parent at home) would like to sleep in and drop the kids off sometime before lunch. I would lose around 4 hours per day of time/space hours during this time.

I considered being more flexible with my drop-off cut-off time (9:00) requirements for 2020, but this policy is one that helps keep my deductions in check. It all adds up. I guess I'll just stick to my current policy.

Thanks!!
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-02-2020, 12:58 PM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,032
Default Time-Space%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I wanted to make sure you knew I was not intending to argue with you. I truly do not understand why I lose hours when my husband, who also works from home, does not.

My business hours are only 10 hours per day (7:30-5:30). The problem is that during summer and school breaks my clients (teachers/one parent at home) would like to sleep in and drop the kids off sometime before lunch. I would lose around 4 hours per day of time/space hours during this time.

I considered being more flexible with my drop-off cut-off time (9:00) requirements for 2020, but this policy is one that helps keep my deductions in check. It all adds up. I guess I'll just stick to my current policy.

Thanks!!
It's okay to argue with me! Although I didn't take what you said as an argument. It's always appropriate to ask me or your tax preparer or the IRS, "Where does it say that?"
If your husband is self employed and works at your home, he must have an office or other space that is exclusively used for his business. In that case, he doesn't count hours, because the room is never used personally.
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-02-2020, 01:09 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCopeland View Post
It's okay to argue with me! Although I didn't take what you said as an argument. It's always appropriate to ask me or your tax preparer or the IRS, "Where does it say that?"
If your husband is self employed and works at your home, he must have an office or other space that is exclusively used for his business. In that case, he doesn't count hours, because the room is never used personally.
That makes sense. By the same token, my daycare playroom is not used by my family, either. It is a converted garage set up in preschool centers with a children's handwashing sink and commercial changing station. Our kids are adults and living on their own. No grandkids for a while to come. I do use a couple other rooms and more space than he does.

I was trying to apply logic to government. I'll just cut that out, now. I used Kidkare, hit print and mailed everything off to my accountant this afternoon. Feels great to be done.

Thanks!!
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-02-2020, 02:36 PM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,032
Default Time-Space%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
That makes sense. By the same token, my daycare playroom is not used by my family, either. It is a converted garage set up in preschool centers with a children's handwashing sink and commercial changing station. Our kids are adults and living on their own. No grandkids for a while to come. I do use a couple other rooms and more space than he does.

I was trying to apply logic to government. I'll just cut that out, now. I used Kidkare, hit print and mailed everything off to my accountant this afternoon. Feels great to be done.

Thanks!!
It's a somewhat good analogy. When you have an exclusive use room it's considered business use, even if no one is in the room. But, if you are doing business activities in the room when children are not present you can count those hours.
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-03-2020, 06:24 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCopeland View Post
It's a somewhat good analogy. When you have an exclusive use room it's considered business use, even if no one is in the room. But, if you are doing business activities in the room when children are not present you can count those hours.
Thank you!!
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-08-2020, 03:21 PM
ConnieG's Avatar
ConnieG ConnieG is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Default keep busy

I think if you open at 7:30 but kids don't dhow up till later that is still hours claimed. You could empty dishwasher, work on books, get crafts ready, clean house, vacuum, dust, laundry bids, bedding. On and on endless stuff!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-09-2020, 08:19 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieG View Post
I think if you open at 7:30 but kids don't dhow up till later that is still hours claimed. You could empty dishwasher, work on books, get crafts ready, clean house, vacuum, dust, laundry bids, bedding. On and on endless stuff!
Oh, how true that is. I actually start work at 5:30 each morning (up at 4:30) with meal prep, playground inspection, play center prep and lesson planning. I do this so my evenings are available exclusively for my husband.

I do worry about adding an extra 6 hours per day on the days they would like to show up late (11:30ish). I can't depend on them not changing their minds and showing up so I still need to prep and I don't want to give up deductions, either. I would already lose those breakfast/morning snack meal count write-offs. Even though I do work those hours daily and am not free to leave (I prefer outdoors), I feel it may be something that could get me flagged. YKWIM?

I really think keeping my drop-off cut-off may be the best route for me. I need my deductions to stay profitable and be able to continue working from home. I also like the routine of all the kids on the same schedule for the day.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-09-2020, 05:45 PM
Julia2's Avatar
Julia2 Julia2 is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 18
Default

Great topic, how I deduct a space that is exclusively for business?, thank you
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-09-2020, 06:15 PM
Julia2's Avatar
Julia2 Julia2 is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 18
Default

I have a question, how do I prove that I am up at 5:30 am doing curriculum, food preparation, daycare inspection, daycare cleaning, etc; do I have to take pictures of me doing that or how?, thank you so much, I will open my daycare in a month probably, thank you for your help
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-10-2020, 03:41 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia2 View Post
I have a question, how do I prove that I am up at 5:30 am doing curriculum, food preparation, daycare inspection, daycare cleaning, etc; do I have to take pictures of me doing that or how?, thank you so much, I will open my daycare in a month probably, thank you for your help
I use the KidKare program and record my hours weekly on Fridays. Click the accounting tab, then expenses, then time/space, then the tab "other hours". It is a little more complicated to figure out than the old program, but once you figure it out it flows pretty easily.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-10-2020, 05:36 AM
Julia2's Avatar
Julia2 Julia2 is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 18
Default

Thank you, I will check kidcare
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-10-2020, 05:59 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia2 View Post
I have a question, how do I prove that I am up at 5:30 am doing curriculum, food preparation, daycare inspection, daycare cleaning, etc; do I have to take pictures of me doing that or how?, thank you so much, I will open my daycare in a month probably, thank you for your help
Add this link to your book marked sites.
It is a huge resource for anything child care business related.

http://tomcopelandblog.com/
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-10-2020, 03:07 PM
ConnieG's Avatar
ConnieG ConnieG is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Default Time/space

I never thought about "proving" that we get up early to do things for daycare. Tax people have just always taken my written word. I use the Redleaf Press Calendar Keeper, because I am more a pencil and paper kind of book keeping person and it has all the best info needed printed ready to use.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-11-2020, 07:38 AM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,032
Default tracking hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia2 View Post
I have a question, how do I prove that I am up at 5:30 am doing curriculum, food preparation, daycare inspection, daycare cleaning, etc; do I have to take pictures of me doing that or how?, thank you so much, I will open my daycare in a month probably, thank you for your help
Track two months worth of these hours on a calendar or on KidKare. Then use the average for these two months for the rest of the year.
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-12-2020, 04:46 PM
YoderT's Avatar
YoderT YoderT is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Texas
Posts: 3
Default Director hours

I was resently hired as a DC director. They want me to work 60+ hours at the center and take all paperwork home. Plus teach a class and do everything else. I'm looking at 70+ hours per week. No benefits or perks. Thinking of not accepting. Haven't started yet. Any advise?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-12-2020, 04:59 PM
YoderT's Avatar
YoderT YoderT is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Texas
Posts: 3
Default Director hours

Add on:
Also... these hours on a very small salary.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-13-2020, 03:06 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoderT View Post
I was resently hired as a DC director. They want me to work 60+ hours at the center and take all paperwork home. Plus teach a class and do everything else. I'm looking at 70+ hours per week. No benefits or perks. Thinking of not accepting. Haven't started yet. Any advise?
That is pretty common. That is why many of us end up just opening our own. We already have all the certs, training and experience.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-13-2020, 11:27 AM
YoderT's Avatar
YoderT YoderT is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Texas
Posts: 3
Default Director hours

In not sure how I'm supposed to be both Teacher and Director of a large DC. Plus, I didn't hire on as a teacher, this was all a surprise to me last week as if I was down with it. Also, zero breaks! We have 30+ students and enrolling more bit she only wants to hire 3 people...Lol
Ugh!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-13-2020, 06:36 PM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,032
Default overtime hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoderT View Post
I was resently hired as a DC director. They want me to work 60+ hours at the center and take all paperwork home. Plus teach a class and do everything else. I'm looking at 70+ hours per week. No benefits or perks. Thinking of not accepting. Haven't started yet. Any advise?
A director is an exempt employee which means they are not required to pay you overtime pay. However, these are very long hours with no benefits. You should think twice about taking this job.
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-14-2020, 07:18 AM
Sunshine69's Avatar
Sunshine69 Sunshine69 is online now
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoderT View Post
I was resently hired as a DC director. They want me to work 60+ hours at the center and take all paperwork home. Plus teach a class and do everything else. I'm looking at 70+ hours per week. No benefits or perks. Thinking of not accepting. Haven't started yet. Any advise?
That seems more like doing in-home childcare without the tax benefits, or the benefit of being your own boss. If the salary isnít a good one, I wouldnít take it. Depends on your circumstances though.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
attendance hours, breakfast, hours of operation, kidkare, meal counts, morning snacks, poll, time space percentage, tom copeland

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Need Some Ideas On How To Charge daymommy Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 01-07-2016 08:14 AM
Contracted Hours Of Operation? EarthyMom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 13 09-24-2012 03:43 PM
What Are Your Part-Time Hours? Country Kids Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 13 08-24-2012 12:28 PM
MMK Actual Vs Attendance Hours? jojosmommy Daycare and Taxes 11 01-14-2011 01:39 PM
Help With Hours, Please!! Daycare_Mama Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 10-13-2010 03:29 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:36 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming