Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How do you save a spot so far in advance?
afmama 07:12 PM 06-23-2011
I'm currently doing only drop-in care/part-time care. I juuuuust started out and I have had a few inquiries for various slots in the fall. One lady needs only 3 hrs. on Thursday nights starting in the fall.

Then 2nd inquiry needs half-day care 2 days a week also in the fall.

Right now I mostly want only date nights, dr appts. mommy time etc. But I do want to fill some part-time semi regular slots.

Obviously if I save these spots for them I can still take "drop-ins" throughout the summer in the time slots. But I'm afraid they will bail and then I could lose out on other people who might need that slot.

Is it wrong to make them pay a retainer or something since techinically I'll be "double-dipping" on their spot all summer. What would be the best way to not get myself screwed over but still be fair?
CheekyChick 08:42 PM 06-23-2011
Enrollement fees. A registration fee and deposit. The deposit is for the last two weeks of care. So... If you charge (for example) $40.00 for two days per week, they would need to pay you $80.00, plus a $25.00 registration fee to hold their spot. Make sure to note in the contract that enrollment fees are non-refundable. If they choose to go somewhere else, you've already been paid for
2+ weeks of care.
mac60 03:43 AM 06-24-2011
I would charge a discounted set fee per week that you hold to assure they will not bail in the end. While charging a registration fee, etc is a good idea, if you are holding a spot for 3 or 4 months, on say a $125 registration fee, then they find alternative care and at the end of the 4 months they are not with you, you have turned down other clients. You may have gotten to keep the registration fee, but you are out a client. There was a day when a handshake was all a person needed in trust.
afmama 05:56 AM 06-24-2011
So the deposit would be non-refundable no matter what? What if she pulls out during the 2 week trial period? Like say she pulls out during the 1st week do I need to refund her for the 2nd week?
Reply Up