Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Boys Peeing All Over Toilet
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:03 AM 05-24-2010
Is this normal for most boys to pee all over the toilet? My new 4 year old daycare boy (well he will be 4 in less than 2 weeks) has peed all over my toilet every time he goes. I have found it on the back, on the floor, and just a few min. ago he had it all over the seat cover and it splashed on the part the girls sit on. Ugg...I'm a clean freak so the moment he is finished I go in and look for messes and clean them right up with bleach/water.

But this is getting exhausting! Each and every time. Is this normal? I was in the bathroom and explained to him that he needs to aim in the toilet and showed him where he aims. When he goes he is looking all around and not watching where it goes and I have told him over and over he needs to pay attention but it keeps happening. I don't have any boys of my own, so can any of you tell me if this is normal?? Thanks.
kitkat 07:20 AM 05-24-2010
I'm think it's pretty normal, especially if he's standing. DS is 5 and still sits (his preference) and even sitting he sometimes has a small mess. I can see how cleaning up after each bathroom use would get exhausting! A friend of mine said she wished her boys would still sit because they rush and leave a mess behind. Maybe have him sit instead of stand...at least for a bit to give you a break from cleaning so much
TGT09 08:17 AM 05-24-2010
I have a 3 y.o. dcb that pees on my floor/rug at least 3 times a week. Drives me nuts. I would assume that this is pretty normal. It's quite irritating because he's trying to look around while he goes and isn't paying attention.
alyssyn 08:31 AM 05-24-2010
It's pretty much normal I think also. Until I had a son of my on I had never had any experience with boys. But my son is nearly 3 yrs old and dcb is the nearly the same age and they both do it. They seem to be in such a hurry and look around and not really pay any attention to what their doing. So I tell them to stand really still and aim at the water to try to make it "splash", they think it's a game and have done alot better. Still they have their off days, but when they try to make the water "splash" I have less clean-up afterwards.
SunflowerMama 08:45 AM 05-24-2010
My almost 4 year old dcb is the same way. Not every time but a lot of times he has aim issues. Mom and dad are working with him at home on it too. I'm giving him the benefit though because he just went from sitting to standing.
tymaboy 08:48 AM 05-24-2010
I have that problem with my DH & DS! I hollored at them a few weeks ago for it cuz it is just gross & I refuse to clean it up since I am not the one that misses.
Liliya 09:10 AM 05-24-2010
On one of childcare trainings, they suggested to put sticker on a bottom of the toilet,and ask boys try to pee on it
momma2girls 09:21 AM 05-24-2010
When potty training boys I have them sit down on the toilet and pee!
[email protected] 09:26 AM 05-24-2010
at four, he would be gloving up with me and helping to clean it up.
momma2girls 09:39 AM 05-24-2010
I would do the same thing at 4!! That is ridiculous!!
HeatherB 10:02 AM 05-24-2010
Suggest that he sit and pees.. or have him clean up himself with your guidance!
TGT09 10:53 AM 05-24-2010
I even make my 3 y.o. dcb clean up whenever he misses. I got tired of mopping it up and felt like he needed a consequence for not paying attention. I always go over it with an antibacterial wipe but still he needs to learn.
alyssyn 11:03 AM 05-24-2010
Using a sticker is a good idea, I've also heard of painting a small red circle inside of toilet to aim at also.
Pammie 11:29 AM 05-24-2010
I just drop a Cheerio in the potty and have them try to "sink" the Cheerio when they pee
They think it's a great game and it really helps with their aim
misol 11:49 AM 05-24-2010
It's definitely normal. Annoying and disgusting - but normal.

Another suggestion is to put Cheerios in the toilet and have him try to sink them.
Childminder 12:48 PM 05-24-2010
Isn't it funny that it isn't usually an issue for my boys? I've only had one or two over the years (over 40)that have a peeing allover problem and it's usually boys that I get after they've been trained. At 4 I would be going in the bathroom and making sure he's holdin' on to the little bugger. If he gets urine anywhere but in the water I'd be givin' him a glove and a wipe.

I also face them backwards on the pot and it gets them pointed in the right direction but usually by four they are standing up. Maybe if he's not anatomically correct and his hole is off center or something that could be causing it. One little boy I had had to have his penis stretched because he had the tiniest stream and could hardly get it out. Noticed this when he and ds were peeing at the same time.
jen 01:09 PM 05-24-2010
Agh! Normal but still gross! LOL! I have to wipe down the wall everytime one of my dcb is in there!
DBug 01:25 PM 05-24-2010
When my first son was still in diapers, my husband and I were youth leaders at our church. Whenever we had the teenagers over to our house, it was a guarantee that the next day, I'd be cleaning the rim, back and base of the toilet, as well as the walls and floor. Seriously -- these were 15 and 16 year old boys (I'm assuming the girls weren't to blame).

My advice: teach them NOW, so their wives don't have to do it one day!
Unregistered 01:42 PM 05-24-2010
Teach the boys to sit to pee. The target is bigger and they will get to know what wet bottom feels like if they don't clean up.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 02:13 PM 05-24-2010
Oh I have been really wanting to give him the rag to wipe it up each and every time, but I didn't know if this was "cruel"..plus I use bleach/water solution and didn't think he should be touching that..I don't know. I will keep working with him..seems like he has the run of the roost with his mother @@
TGT09 02:26 PM 05-24-2010
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Isn't it funny that it isn't usually an issue for my boys? I've only had one or two over the years (over 40)that have a peeing allover problem and it's usually boys that I get after they've been trained. At 4 I would be going in the bathroom and making sure he's holdin' on to the little bugger. If he gets urine anywhere but in the water I'd be givin' him a glove and a wipe. .
I felt the same way when I got this kid. I have watched upteen boys over the years and I've NEVER run across this issue. This actual dcb didn't even do it for the first several weeks he was here and then all of a sudden just started doing it. I'm only assuming this is normal behavior for him as I've had other potty accidents with an older sibling of his. Who knows.

To the OP, this is NOT cruel to me. However, I would just let him use tp to wipe it up and not the bleach/water solution. Then, you can go over it afterward. Unless, you truly think he is doing it on accident time AND TIME again! Then, I would just clean it up. I felt the exact same way as you though and felt like I was doing something wrong by making him clean it up....after the 10th time, I lost it and felt that I needed to change something. Especially at 4, I feel like they know better than to try to multi-task while peeing. :-)
QualiTcare 04:13 PM 05-24-2010
i know 40 year olds who still pee on the toilet.

so, yes.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:11 PM 05-24-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:

so, yes.
I have had adult company and find pee spots on the seat...thank goodness my husband isn't like that!! He's very clean. I would get upset if I had to clean that after a grown man.
misol 07:46 AM 05-25-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:

so, yes.
So do I! It's ridiculous.

Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
I have had adult company and find pee spots on the seat...thank goodness my husband isn't like that!! He's very clean. I would get upset if I had to clean that after a grown man.
Well my husband is guilty. Not on the seat itself but pee spots end up on the floor in front of the toilet. I hate it! I think it has something to do with the "shake" at the end. Maybe men need start wiping instead of shaking.
siloam 02:04 PM 07-16-2011
I work at a daycare. We don't really use artificial targets with our boys. Same thing with my sons, we just tell them to aim their penises so that their stream of peepee is hitting the water and making "big tinkles". First, we're very adamant about putting the seat up first, before they "go tinkles", when they've done that, we tell them that they're supposed to make loud tinkles with their peepees, then of course, we also impress upon them the importance of "putting the seat back down" LOL. While we're in there with them, when we hear the pee stream hitting the side of the bowl, we just give them a little reminder "peepee in the water". It's actually been fairly useful, in both places, our bathroom smells a little better, and there's less cleaning.
This is really cute, at the daycare center it came to a point where a little boy whose been there for awhile saw a newer little boy peeing on the side of the bowl. He walked over to the same toilet just as the boy was finishing up, and said "you're going wrong, you're supposed to make BIG peepees", and then he took his peeper out and started peeing really loudly to show off. After that day, those two boys became inseparable friends, and we even saw them peeing together in the same toilet a few times and having pee races, sorry it's just too funny.
erinalexmom 04:26 PM 07-16-2011
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
When potty training boys I have them sit down on the toilet and pee!
me too! my own son has been potty trained for a year and he is just now allowed to stand up to pee
Kaddidle Care 04:39 PM 07-16-2011
My boys are better than my husband and my Father In Law is the worst! He insists on going in the bathroom and not turning on the light and Lord knows, he needs the extra light! I'm done with cleaning up after him and when he leaves I hand my husband the cleaner and tell him to clean up after his father. Bleh!

I've heard the cheerio thing too but have never used it. I just tell the boys to lift the seat and be neat, aim for the middle. If not, before they wash their hands they're instructed to get a good wad of toilet paper and clean up after themselves. Then I go and sanitize it afterwards.

They won't be in such a hurry if they're made to stay behind and clean up.
sharlan 04:47 PM 07-16-2011
I never had an issue when I made the boys sit on the toilet and "push it down".

The two I have now want to stand. If I catch them, I make them sit.

My sil had the right idea when she had her house built, she had two toilets installed in the master bath and her's was off limits to everyone.
Unregistered 05:35 PM 07-16-2011
I cringe every time one of my daycare boys goes into the bathroom. As soon as I see them starting for the bathroom, I start reminding them not to make a mess, and "hold your peepee down." Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Besides the Cheerios in the toilet, I've tried putting a square of TP in the toilet, and telling them to "sink the TP"! I agree that boys just seem to be too busy looking around, not paying attention to what they're really in there for. Once they are tall enough to stand, have them use one hand to hold "it", and put their other hand up on the lid of the toilet tank. That seems to make them concentrate a bit more.
CheekyChick 05:37 PM 07-16-2011
You would think after all of these years, I would think twice about sitting down to go to the restroom. I have sat in SOOOOOOO much urine that my little boys so kindly leave me. I have almost slipped from puddles of urine on the floor. The problem is, my little boys rush so they can get back to playing.

My suggestion is to let him put a Cheerio in the toilet and tell him to aim for the center of it. It's a fun way to assure that his urine will actually make it in the toilet. Hopefully. LOL!!!
Abigail 08:34 PM 07-17-2011
OMG the cheerio system sounds so cute! Cheap and effective, ha ha. I wouldn't want to paint the inside of my toilet, a moving target like a cheerio would be great! Our dcboys sit on the toilet facing backyards while they're in potty training stage. Beyond that when they are 4+ they get privacy and we're only in the bathroom if we're changing diapers so we're not really in there to watch them exclusively like in potty training stage.

Our kids always spill water from the bathroom sink and they always grab a paper towel and wipe it up....that is why the line for the bathroom is so long sometimes! I'm guessing if they "missed" they would just wipe it up and not say anything. The only bathroom issue I've had is a 6 year old girl who sits on the edge of the seat to poo and twice in one week I had to literally put a glove on and use tp to push it down into the water because it wouldn't flush. I could tell she was embarassed both times, but it's gross. LOL

My question about those who use bleach/water to clean up fast: Do you just squirt it with the bleach/water solution used on the changing table onto the toilet and use a paper towel or do you use a rag or how exactly do you do the whole quick clean up?
mac60 04:37 AM 07-18-2011
Sit down and pee and make them "hold" it down. Or sit on the toilet backwards, when the legs are spread it automatically aims down. No standing up here.
dEHmom 07:07 AM 07-18-2011
could let them put some cheerios in toilet and might help teach them aiming...

i have the same troubles here.

on friday I could not for the life of me figure out where the pee smell in my kitchen was coming from. I mopped and still couldn't find it. Then I happened to look in the dogs water dish and noticed the water was a little bit murky, but not unusual because sometimes dog food gets in the water and turns it colors. But my ds PEED in the dogs bowl. And did it AGAIN when the bowl was empty. He has peed on many toys and cars outside, in the old baby pool, etc. It's getting on my nerves. He knows he shouldn't, we've told him not to do it again or there will be consequences, but he still does it!
SandeeAR 09:29 AM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
could let them put some cheerios in toilet and might help teach them aiming...

i have the same troubles here.

on friday I could not for the life of me figure out where the pee smell in my kitchen was coming from. I mopped and still couldn't find it. Then I happened to look in the dogs water dish and noticed the water was a little bit murky, but not unusual because sometimes dog food gets in the water and turns it colors. But my ds PEED in the dogs bowl. And did it AGAIN when the bowl was empty. He has peed on many toys and cars outside, in the old baby pool, etc. It's getting on my nerves. He knows he shouldn't, we've told him not to do it again or there will be consequences, but he still does it!

Consequences aren't hard enough, or he wouldn't still be doing it.
dEHmom 09:33 AM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Consequences aren't hard enough, or he wouldn't still be doing it.
honestly, there are no consequences for this kid, not even spankings from daddy that stop his bad behaviors. He is 3 yrs old and drives me insane. His memory is about 2 seconds.
MarinaVanessa 09:37 AM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by Liliya:
On one of childcare trainings, they suggested to put sticker on a bottom of the toilet,and ask boys try to pee on it
I use cheerios. I drop one in the toily and the boys have to try to "hit the target". After a while they get better.
laundrymom 10:36 AM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
honestly, there are no consequences for this kid, not even spankings from daddy that stop his bad behaviors. He is 3 yrs old and drives me insane. His memory is about 2 seconds.
I'd put him in diapers until he could learn where to pee. Especially being my own child. That would also earn him a constant spot beside me until he was good for a week. I just have no tolerance for that. I know I'm mean about it and I'm sorry but if Chris did that at that age, he would be moms shadow! Lol
Tags:toilet train
Reply Up