Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Else Ever Apply For A Job... Just To See?
MamaBear 09:25 AM 09-17-2013
So every now and then I'll see a really cool job posted online & I cant help but to apply for it. There is this really nice hospital near my home & they never have a position that I'd be interested in. But last night they posted an Admin Secretary job and it has great hours and great pay and is exactly the same type of job I had at another large hospital in my hometown that I had for about 10 years.

Soooo I applied for it. But now I'm scared! haha... I have all the "what ifs" going on in my head. What if they actually contact me? I'd have to quit on all my daycare families. Some of them I wouldn't feel bad quitting on at all (haha) - but a couple I really like a lot. They probably wont even call me... but I'm kinda hoping they do... Especially with how mad a couple of my daycare parents have made me lately.

Do any of you ever apply for jobs just thinking "what if"?
lovemylife 09:30 AM 09-17-2013
I haven't actually applied for a job but I have thought about it. Some days I consider taking a job outside the house. It would be nice to have a more stable income, less stress and worry about the income. I have been blessed with amazing children lately. I have a few difficult parents but the kids make up for that.
MamaBear 09:33 AM 09-17-2013
I think I start thinking about it more during the "rough" times when parents make me mad or its more stressful here. When everything is "good" I dont seem to look at jobs online at all. I guess when things are not going wonderful, I am looking for an escape! lol
My3cents 09:33 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
So every now and then I'll see a really cool job posted online & I cant help but to apply for it. There is this really nice hospital near my home & they never have a position that I'd be interested in. But last night they posted an Admin Secretary job and it has great hours and great pay and is exactly the same type of job I had at another large hospital in my hometown that I had for about 10 years.

Soooo I applied for it. But now I'm scared! haha... I have all the "what ifs" going on in my head. What if they actually contact me? I'd have to quit on all my daycare families. Some of them I wouldn't feel bad quitting on at all (haha) - but a couple I really like a lot. They probably wont even call me... but I'm kinda hoping they do... Especially with how mad a couple of my daycare parents have made me lately.

No...... this is my job. I am in it for the long haul. I love what I do. I might have off days or challenging days or days that I just want to go on a life long vacation......ha ha but all in all I love doing this. I put a lot of effort into my daycare and so I guess I would say this is my what if- They say that you have to love what you do in order to make it a career and a job that you will stick with. I honestly love what I do. I didn't start this job to stay home with my kids while they were young and then adventure on to new things. This is my job, this is what I want to do. Any job you have you will most likely have things that go wrong, bad days, people you don't like and have to deal with etc.....just part of working.

Remind me of this when I am having an off day

The above is me- I can dearly understand how you feel and if challenging yourself for other work is what you want to do, I say go for it.

Best-
MamaBear 09:39 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
No...... this is my job. I am in it for the long haul. I love what I do. I might have off days or challenging days or days that I just want to go on a life long vacation......ha ha but all in all I love doing this. I put a lot of effort into my daycare and so I guess I would say this is my what if- They say that you have to love what you do in order to make it a career and a job that you will stick with. I honestly love what I do. I didn't start this job to stay home with my kids while they were young and then adventure on to new things. This is my job, this is what I want to do. Any job you have you will most likely have things that go wrong, bad days, people you don't like and have to deal with etc.....just part of working.

The above is me- I can dearly understand how you feel and if challenging yourself for other work is what you want to do, I say go for it.

Best-
Wow! I'm glad you love your job so much! I wish I felt like that every day. I felt like that a few weeks ago. I think sometimes sour apples in my bunch are making me have a sour taste in my mouth lately with my daycare. I hope I can break out of this funky funk soon.
Crazy8 09:39 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:

Best-
this is me too for the most part. Although, I did start this because I had a young child at home and wanted more. But my kids are all in school now and while I've had dreams of giving it up - its not really because I want a different job, its cause I want no job. I really couldn't see myself doing anything else anymore, but I know that I didn't always feel that way, it crept up somewhere over the last 12 years, LOL!
Unregistered 09:40 AM 09-17-2013
Yes and I never get a call back ......
Play Care 09:59 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Yes and I never get a call back ......
This is one of my big worries. That when the time comes and I want to work outside the home that I won't get any call backs. I feel like I put so much into this business - only to be thought of as a "babysitter" and have my resume dismissed offhand

(BTW - I do love what I do, but physically this job can be very challenging. I know some older providers who struggle with pain every day because of the lifting, carrying, etc. I know that in a few years my body will be ready for a less physically stressful job)
BumbleBee 10:15 AM 09-17-2013
Depends on the day. Have I ever applied? No, but then I just opened a year ago. I plan on doing this unless/until God leads me down another path. Totally get where you're coming from though.
Leigh 10:40 AM 09-17-2013
It has crossed my mind several times (when I have a naughty kid, when I don't feel well, etc.), but I remind myself that THIS job is best for me and my family, and THIS job has made me happier than any other I have had (other than my marketing job, but those killer hours don't go well with raising a family).
WImom 11:00 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
It has crossed my mind several times (when I have a naughty kid, when I don't feel well, etc.), but I remind myself that THIS job is best for me and my family, and THIS job has made me happier than any other I have had (other than my marketing job, but those killer hours don't go well with raising a family).
That's how I am too. Right now being one of those times. I think losing 5 to school this year and the two kids I did enroll are trying my patience along with my one problem child I have had for a year isn't getting better, just mouthier with age. I've been thinking of it more and more. I think I'm mourning the loss of my awesome 4/5 year olds right now!! I miss them!

I really do love my job!! I just need to say that over and over!
Play Care 11:05 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by WImom:
That's how I am too. Right now being one of those times. I think losing 5 to school this year and the two kids I did enroll are trying my patience along with my one problem child I have had for a year isn't getting better, just mouthier with age. I've been thinking of it more and more. I think I'm mourning the loss of my awesome 4/5 year olds right now!! I miss them!

I really do love my job!! I just need to say that over and over!

A couple of years ago I lost a large group (including my youngest child ) to school. I replaced them with younger kids but the whole dynamic had changed. I was actually quite depressed about it for most of the school year.
MamaBear 11:12 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:

A couple of years ago I lost a large group (including my youngest child ) to school. I replaced them with younger kids but the whole dynamic had changed. I was actually quite depressed about it for most of the school year.
I think thats part of my problem right now too. I had all older toddlers and preschoolers before and now I have all infants & one toddler... who acts like an infant. And it starts to wear me down sometimes. I miss my past kids and this new crew is sweet but definitely not the same. Oh and I have a very needy new girl that just started last week... UGH... shes a lot of work. She an 8 month old that I could tell gets held all the time. She has no "in between" from happy to sad. She goes directly to bloody murder screaming in a heartbeat.

Now that i think about it... I was MUCH happier before she started coming here! lol
melilley 11:34 AM 09-17-2013
No, I have never applied for a job. I have honestly thought about it, but in reality, I could never see myself sitting behind a desk or doing something that didn't have to do with children. I just opened in Jan. of this year, but before I opened, I have worked in centers for 14 years and babysat before that (I did have non child jobs in between, but I was young) and earned my AA in child development so I don't really know how to do anything else....lol

Like others have said though, I do have one child who I could definitely do without (he is 24 mo.) and if he wasn't here and I replaced him with a child who didn't hit, push, throw tantrums all the time, I think I would be totally happy! I can't bring myself to term so it's my fault, but I can't do it! His mom is awesome (we are working on curbing the behavior) and he will just go somewhere else and have to start over so I have a soft spot for him.
LK5kids 11:43 AM 09-17-2013
Yes....a 2nd grade teaching job, a position at the YMCA, and a position at a montessori preschool. Had an interview for the 2nd gr job-didn't get it, and got an interview, but decided not to do the interview for the Montessori position.
Moppetland 01:00 PM 09-17-2013
Yep. And the ironic part about it is, I just left the work force and came back to open my business again. I closed down for a year, worked in a preschool only center, where I didn't like what was going on in there, and that made me come back to my own.

But, I had to get re-licensed. I'm still waiting on one more thing my rep needs to come out, then I'll be re-licensed. Right now, I'm license-exempt, which probably prompted me to apply for this job in the first place. But I applied for a Preschool for All job as an assistant and got called back for an interview. The hours were going to be great w/benefits. The pay not too bad, but definitely stable. Then I had a change of heart. Why quit one preschool program and apply for another? I found that I like to run my own, and I am away from work place bull crap. I can't tolerate that anymore. This is why when I have difficult parents, I just term. My health is more important than money. If I'm ill, I can't work anyway, and if I'm dead, there's no need for me having money.

So, that being said, I obviously like what I do (caring for children), and I like owning my own business. I have to just deal with the ups and downs of this business just like everyone else who is self-employed.
Familycare71 01:10 PM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
this is me too for the most part. Although, I did start this because I had a young child at home and wanted more. But my kids are all in school now and while I've had dreams of giving it up - its not really because I want a different job, its cause I want no job. I really couldn't see myself doing anything else anymore, but I know that I didn't always feel that way, it crept up somewhere over the last 12 years, LOL!
Me too!!
MyAngels 02:21 PM 09-17-2013
I used to, but now when I get that bug I just listen to my DH talk about all his needy\difficult\compulsive\whacko employees and it nips that right in the bud
Josiegirl 03:23 PM 09-17-2013
I've fantasized about finding a different job A LOT through out the past 30 years. I never went as far as applying though. I figured I would have difficult days no matter where I went and I'd be someone else's employee, which I've never really wanted. Now if I could find a different self-employed type job where I could work out of my home and it paid fairly decent, I'd seriously look into it.
Maybe.
momofboys 03:24 PM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBear:

Yes, ME! Now that my kids are all in school I am looking. I just applied for a position at a library, part-time, 20 hrs/week, great pay (I used to work in a small town public library but this is at a big city branch). The only downside for me is I feel like I am behind in the times with my computer software knowledge & haven't been in the work force for roughly 6 years. I would be thrilled to get this job though if I get an interview.
MamaBear 04:16 PM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by momofboys:
Yes, ME! Now that my kids are all in school I am looking. I just applied for a position at a library, part-time, 20 hrs/week, great pay (I used to work in a small town public library but this is at a big city branch). The only downside for me is I feel like I am behind in the times with my computer software knowledge & haven't been in the work force for roughly 6 years. I would be thrilled to get this job though if I get an interview.
Thats me too... It's been 7 years since I've been doing daycare - so I'm not sure if they would consider me or not. I still keep my computer skills up to par on my own... but not sure if they would consider that possibility. My kids are all grown too... so working outside the home is always a temptation to me these days.
Reply Up