Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do For Halloween?
Josiegirl 08:54 AM 09-22-2013
Do you have a party? Big? Little? Just a cupcake type thing? Do you hand out goodie bags? if so, what do you give them?
I go through this before every holiday....what am I gonna do, what am I gonna do, what am I donna do.
I usually give them goodies but am trying to stay away from candy. I have one whose mom is kind of on the stricter side of 'feed healthy stuff only' and another child who is diabetic.
Any ideas?
Thanks!!
Sunshine74 08:59 AM 09-22-2013
We have the kids wear their costumes, and because we are a center, we trick-or-treat at each room. And we let anyone who wants to bring a treat, so we have a little party at snack time.

In your case, as far as sending goodies, they have little boxes of stickers, or you could do rings or something else like that, depending on the ages of your DCK's. Or maybe those plastic vampire teeth, our preschoolers love those.
Sugar Magnolia 09:48 AM 09-22-2013
Nothing. We do have a "fall party" close to October 31, featuring cider, pumpkin seeds, fall theme cookies, etc. We decorate for "fall" since autumn is foreign concept down here. But I do zero for Halloween. It is my least favorite holiday, and 90 percent of it seems NOT age appropriate for 5 and under. I let parents handle this "holiday" the way they see fit. Yep....bah humbug on celebrating the undead, ghosts, witches and commercialized costumes.
JoseyJo 10:15 AM 09-22-2013
We do a week of festivities - decorating pumpkins, making Halloween cookies, etc. On Halloween (or Fri if on a weekend) we have a trick or treat parade, everyone dresses up in costumes, kids bring halloween-ish healthy treats for a party @ lunch or pm snack. We have had the parents come in the past, depending on the group dynamics and if they can handle parents being there w/o meltdown!
Play Care 12:21 PM 09-22-2013
I LOVE Halloween! We decorate, have a party with games, and end watching one age appropriate Halloween video. Oh and the kids get a treat on their way out
LK5kids 12:25 PM 09-22-2013
I just have a special treat and one or two simple games. No dressing up or goody bags sent home. This goes for all holiday festivities. I have done a Christmas gift exchange.
MamaBearCanada 12:48 PM 09-22-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I LOVE Halloween! We decorate, have a party with games, and end watching one age appropriate Halloween video. Oh and the kids get a treat on their way out
What video do you use? I wouldn't mind one that wasn't scary if such a thing exists!
BumbleBee 01:33 PM 09-22-2013
I don't know what I'm going to do yet. Halloween is HUGE down here. The schools don't do anything so I may take their lead. Not sure though.
AcornMama 01:40 PM 09-22-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Nothing. We do have a "fall party" close to October 31, featuring cider, pumpkin seeds, fall theme cookies, etc. We decorate for "fall" since autumn is foreign concept down here. But I do zero for Halloween. It is my least favorite holiday, and 90 percent of it seems NOT age appropriate for 5 and under. I let parents handle this "holiday" the way they see fit. Yep....bah humbug on celebrating the undead, ghosts, witches and commercialized costumes.
I'm with Sugar Magnolia. We'll do a fall or pumpkin party, but not Halloween.
blandino 01:54 PM 09-22-2013
I love fall & Halloween !

We decorate for both. I use a lot of pumpkins so that they can be used throughout fall. For Halloween we have this tradition where we make a "halloween cake", which is decorated with all sorts of gummy worms and candy bugs - I have no idea how/why we started but we have been doing it for over 5 years.

We dont do costumes because I was always a wreck worrying about stains and rips before they actually had to wear them.

The day of Halloween we will decorate the cake, and eat it at snack. We will also paint the pumpkins that I put out on the front porch (each child has their name on one), and send those home.

The week of Halloween we read books and do crafts with a Halloween theme, and we have a Halloween sensory bin (spiders, pumpkins, etc). And I do break out the "It's the great pumpkin Charlie Brown" DVD.
MotherNature 07:04 AM 09-23-2013
We decorate for fall, Halloween. Christmas, and Easter. Right now, I have pumpkins and mums on the front porch, and some leaves inside and a folk art crow. I need more autumn decor. This weekend, I'll put up the Halloween stuff. It and Christmas are my favourites, so I have several totes full of stuff. I'll keep the scarier stuff away from daycare kids though..
Blackcat31 07:18 AM 09-23-2013
What do I do for Halloween? I get older

What do I do with daycare kids on Halloween? NOTHING! I actually HATE the holiday and usually close.

I know, probably a party pooper...but this is a holiday the kids can enjoy with their families.
Play Care 07:43 AM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
What video do you use? I wouldn't mind one that wasn't scary if such a thing exists!
I typically do a Halloween episode of a show I know everyone will enjoy - so Dora Halloween or a Scooby Doo (the old show, not the new one!) last year I had older kids so we did the Phineas and Ferb Halloween video. Someone gave me the Charlie Brown Halloween video a few years ago (the great pumpkin) but I despise that one.

Does anyone else notice that Halloween is the only holiday the kids get pick up early for?
Unregistered 08:03 AM 09-23-2013
I am big on Halloween so I do it right up
big crafts for a month
decorating mostly out side for safety issues
and huge decorations out side and yard lights up
webs, ghoasts coffins ex...I do try to keep kid friendly and decorate with them so they see
and then the weekend before a huge family affair
from 5 to 8 I do games and pinota ( sp ) and food and after 8 for other friends and so on
I call it the Haunted Hall of Horrors and have done it for years
littlemissmuffet 09:30 AM 09-23-2013
I LOVE Halloween - so much that hubs and I married on Halloween. I used to throw parties for the dcks but now that we have our own little we have designated Halloween as a family day and are closed I will never work on my anniversary again!
Cradle2crayons 09:39 AM 09-23-2013
We do big on Halloween. I take all the kids to different functions the week of...

And since I'm afternoon care I generally have daycare kids on Halloween trick or treating night... So we all load up and go !!

Nobody trick or treats at my house because I live 300 yards into the woods and nobody knows is place exists....
jenn 10:34 AM 09-23-2013
I have a young group and most the parents don't really seem to care about the crafts. Last year, I found some pumpkin shaped pretzels that we had for snack.
I do encourage them to pick up their kid early on Halloween, so that they can get their kids ready and I can get mine ready. I also remind them that if their child is too tired to participate or sick from tons of candy, they will be sent home the next day.
Party pooper.
Sugar Magnolia 11:07 AM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What do I do for Halloween? I get older

What do I do with daycare kids on Halloween? NOTHING! I actually HATE the holiday and usually close.

I know, probably a party pooper...but this is a holiday the kids can enjoy with their families.
I already party pooped this thread!
MamaBear 11:11 AM 09-23-2013
I usually decorate like crazy and we have a little Halloween party... Which is basically little goodie bags.. cupcakes and they take home a little pumpkin trick-or-treat pail with their goodies in it. I used to have the kids wear costumes here, but it was too much of a pain upkeeping them and I think its better if they save that for their evening with mom & dad. I just feel bad if anything on their costume gets messed up.

I love this time of year!
MsLaura529 11:31 AM 09-23-2013
I'm excited for my first Halloween with the daycare We will do costumes, but not the entire day. I'm going to have some kids' Halloween music on for a dance party in the costumes and take some pictures. Otherwise, we'll do some Halloween crafts (painting pumpkins, coloring and Halloween stickers) and I'll have little goodie bags for each of the kids - not a bunch of candy, but some tattoos, stickers, and some other little Halloween type trinket.
KSDC 12:25 PM 09-23-2013
We do Halloween/pumpkin crafts during October. On Halloween I usually do fun foods for lunch and snack. (Crescent roll wrapped hot dogs to look like mummies were a big hit last year.)

I don't send treats home. But, I do let my parents know what times I will be home for them to come trick or treat at my home. My munchkins always get a special goody bag then. Usually a bit of candy, some Halloween toys, and a juice box or pop.
grandmom 02:11 PM 09-23-2013
Zip. Zilch. Nada.

I don't do scary with children in any form.

There are too many good things in this world to focus on.

Unregistered 02:31 PM 09-23-2013
Fall crafts / fun day. I'm planning on giving out candy in the evening (first time) for the sole purpose of marketing my business .
Sunchimes 07:08 PM 09-23-2013
I will decorate outside and some inside. I only have 1 old enough to know what's happening, and she is already making plans. Last year, she had just turned 2. We spent the day teaching her to trick or treat by closing a door, having her knock and say trick or treat, then opening the door and giving her a treat (a piece of play food), then having her say thank you. We did it dozens of times that day.

She started talking about Halloween a month ago. I'm always a witch, but it scared the kids. Even my dcks wouldn't come to the porch. A month ago, she said "You were a witch and you scared me last year. Don't be a witch this year." I am planning to be Cat in the Hat, but she said no, I must be a princess. I'm going to look silly as a princess, but she is going to be so disappointed if I'm not. Hubby said if I do, we will have to move. ;-)

Because of her, I'll probably fill the week before with Halloween stuff. The rest of the month will be fall stuff.
Sunchimes 07:11 PM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Fall crafts / fun day. I'm planning on giving out candy in the evening (first time) for the sole purpose of marketing my business .
Don't dress up as a witch. Last year, I painted a yard sign with chalkboard paint and wrote on it "I have 1 opening for a child 6 weeks to 4 years. Ask for information." No one asked. Late in the evening I overheard a parent point out the sign and laugh about what a good joke. sigh I finally realized that everyone thought "witch, opening for 1 child, ha ha, good joke".
jessrlee 03:11 AM 09-24-2013
Two years ago I went all out. I dressed up as a southern belle, set a whole scene with lanterns and candles, you name it. I had about 200 scholastic books I taped my business card in, and had pencils and candy besides. I had ONE bleeping trick or treater!! We had just moved into the house and I didn't realize that none of my neighbors did Halloween

After that I just go to a friends house and hang out so I can see the cute costumes
LaLa1923 04:04 AM 09-24-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
I'm thinking of letting them watch Monsters Vs Aliens Halloween edition. I think it's cute and my kids get a laugh from it!
Lyss 10:18 AM 09-24-2013
I LOVE Halloween but other than a few art activities and books throughout October I don't do much. We do go to the pumpkin patch but no party or anything. I did a party & activities in the past, but last year was my last one.

I had a parent try to tell me to take her kid trick or treating last year, DCB was my latest pick up (6:15, rest gone at 5:30ish) and that was my last straw. I felt like even though I did a party (they dressed up, made special treats, went to the nursing home across the street and we had a monster play date with a fellow DC provider nearby) the parents still expected more and that was the last straw. so I now I do less
Crazy8 10:25 AM 09-24-2013
they come in costume, we take some pics, have some snacks/treats and then I undress them before nap. Its a very hectic day, but I feel that way about all holidays.

When I started I closed about 2pm on halloween - right before my kids got out of school. But that was a pain because it was nap time. Then I bumped it to 3pm for a few years and just this year I bumped it to 4pm. My kids are older and don't need to go TorT'ing the minute they get home from school anymore.
Tags:halloween - ideas
Reply Up