Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Potty training
lblanke 09:51 PM 12-12-2014
My daughter will be 3 years old in 6 weeks. She will use the potty at certain times of the day (before bath, before bedtime, upon getting up in the morning, and throughout the day at preschool, but she has no desire to initiate using the potty to urinate. She can take off her diaper and pull up and down her pants. For the past 2-3 months, she has used the potty every single time she needs to have a bowel movement, always saying, "I have to go poopy." Her preschool does not require the children to be potty trained until 3 1/2 years old, so there is no rush from that standpoint. I was thinking Christmas break might be a good time to try to focus on this. We do have some training panties that she is just not that interested in. She is often dry through the night and will use the potty when prompted in the morning. Any advice as to a better approach than just asking if she needs or wants to go to the potty (answer always NO)? We used special stickers to get her to go poopy, but it would take a lot of stickers each day to keep her diaper dry.
Cradle2crayons 10:01 PM 12-12-2014
Originally Posted by lblanke:
My daughter will be 3 years old in 6 weeks. She will use the potty at certain times of the day (before bath, before bedtime, upon getting up in the morning, and throughout the day at preschool, but she has no desire to initiate using the potty to urinate. She can take off her diaper and pull up and down her pants. For the past 2-3 months, she has used the potty every single time she needs to have a bowel movement, always saying, "I have to go poopy." Her preschool does not require the children to be potty trained until 3 1/2 years old, so there is no rush from that standpoint. I was thinking Christmas break might be a good time to try to focus on this. We do have some training panties that she is just not that interested in. She is often dry through the night and will use the potty when prompted in the morning. Any advice as to a better approach than just asking if she needs or wants to go to the potty (answer always NO)? We used special stickers to get her to go poopy, but it would take a lot of stickers each day to keep her diaper dry.
I don't prompt for children to go but I do model the expected behavior and i have my two own children do the same when we have a dck that is potty training.

I'll put my hand on my yummy in the middle of an activity and say "ohh I need to go potty!! " I say excuse me and exaggerate my need to get to the bathroom. I go into the bathroom and shut the door for a few minutes, flush, and wash my hands. The my son or daughter will say "good job mama" and back to he activity I go.

I've used this method successfully on kids I knew were ready and completely capable of verbalizing their need but just don't for whatever reasons. All of the kids want to be ljust like us big people.

It sounds nuts. But it works. Also, parents have he opportunity to go more cold turkey at home. Put the child in real panties and go for it. Of course, at daycare I can't use that method. But as the parent here is no reason why you can't. Especially if you have several days In a row you will be home with them.

Some kids are capable but just need that extra desire to be trained.

I don't encourage parents to use reward charts or candy etc for potty training because sometimes that can't be replicated at daycare and because the kids usually end up wanting to up the anty if you know what I mean.
Reply Up