Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Big Changes
MunchkinWrangler 08:44 AM 10-28-2016
Well, I have officially closed my doors. I am a part of the statistic of new daycares closing within 2 years of opening. I have a sadness but a happiness.

I interviewed for a position and I was offered the job the next day. I put in my notice with my one family to say I was closing. They were not happy and even insulted me when they noticed I let my license close. I didn't see the point in renewing my license if I was not going to do childcare anymore. They mentioned that they were paying for licensed childcare as if that matters. I am legally unlicensed and let them know I am legal and all of my certifications are still valid as well as my childcare experience.

Then today they give me a 1099, which now I have to explain why I can't fill that out. Sigh.

Needless to say, although I enjoyed my time doing childcare...I will not miss it. In my new position, I won't have to explain myself, wipe and smell poop , deal with sick kids except for my own, and I get to take back my home. Now I realize how exhausting it was making my home available to these families and feeling like I was in a fishbowl, feeling like I had no privacy. These are feelings I have just realized. I didn't realize how on edge it made me.

I respect all you ladies and gents that do this ever important career. I just couldn't wait for income to come in in my position, as I've wrote on other threads. I still peek in to the thread because I feel attached to all you guys on the forum. I am currently looking for daycare for my son and man, it's hard. I wish some of you lived closer!
Baby Beluga 09:02 AM 10-28-2016
Congratulations on your new job and position!
Gemma 09:13 AM 10-28-2016
Good for you!

Funny how some parents think we are not allowed to quit our job
Ariana 09:20 AM 10-28-2016
I totally get it! I am at home to raise my daughter because the quality of providers out there leaves a lot to be desired. With that in mind I wish you luck in finding a great place for your child

Enjoy your new job and all the best
midaycare 10:06 AM 10-28-2016
Good luck!!!!!!

Congrats on the job! What will you be doing?
DaveA 10:22 AM 10-28-2016
Good luck on the new job.
Cat Herder 10:30 AM 10-28-2016
Congrats!

Question: Why can't you fill out the W-10?

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw10.pdf
MunchkinWrangler 10:30 AM 10-28-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Good luck!!!!!!

Congrats on the job! What will you be doing?
I got an admin. asst. position at a law firm. I'm going to school for my paralegal degree so I'll gain so much experience. I am so excited. Thanks!
CityGarden 10:30 AM 10-28-2016
Congrats!!!

Just being curious what part of the job made you decide to close? I ask since I am a complete newbie.
MunchkinWrangler 10:33 AM 10-28-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Congrats!

Question: Why can't you fill out the 1099?
The family owns a business and looking through the forum, Tom Copeland advises against it because of the status of being self-employed and you are not considered employed by the families. And also the fact that you are running your business in your home, not in theirs or their business property. It looks like you can be audited because the 1099 form means you are working for the business and not providing a personal service.

They need to claim the childcare tax credit and that is considered a personal expense not a business one from what I understand.

And Thanks!
Cat Herder 10:37 AM 10-28-2016
Sorry... 1099 was a typo for me. I edited. I posted info on the W-10 short form.
MunchkinWrangler 10:38 AM 10-28-2016
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Congrats!!!

Just being curious what part of the job made you decide to close? I ask since I am a complete newbie.
It wasn't a decision based on the job at all. I had 4 families, one family had three children with me. In August I lost 2, and at the beginning of October I lost the family with 3 children. In my area, most are looking for infant care, I compete with a lot of centers so most only stay in care during the infant and toddler years, even though I do a preschool program.

I couldn't gain new business quick enough and couldn't wait until after the holidays to start new business. I tried everything, so I started putting in my resume and left it up to God. Whichever came first is what I would do. So that was my sign.

I was planning on running my daycare at least for the next 2 years but I lost income too fast in such a short amount of time that I had to do something. I'm sad but it is what it is.
MunchkinWrangler 10:40 AM 10-28-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Sorry... 1099 was a typo for me. I edited. I posted info on the W-10 short form.
Oh! Yeah I am planning on getting those out to my families in January and already signed HSA/FSA paperwork for 2 of my families.
Snowmom 10:51 AM 10-28-2016
Good luck.
It's hard letting go, but it sounds like you have a great opportunity ahead.
daycarediva 11:28 AM 10-28-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
The family owns a business and looking through the forum, Tom Copeland advises against it because of the status of being self-employed and you are not considered employed by the families. And also the fact that you are running your business in your home, not in theirs or their business property. It looks like you can be audited because the 1099 form means you are working for the business and not providing a personal service.

They need to claim the childcare tax credit and that is considered a personal expense not a business one from what I understand.

And Thanks!
She shouldn't fill out the 1099, she isn't a subcontractor for them.

W-10 is the appropriate form.

If a family insulted me, they would be out that day. DONE.

Good luck on your new career!
Boymom 12:11 PM 10-28-2016
Congratulations!!! God bless your new journey
sharlan 03:02 PM 10-28-2016
Wishing you the best.
Mike 06:57 PM 10-28-2016
Good luck with your new job and with finding good care for your son.
MunchkinWrangler 07:41 PM 10-28-2016
Thank you all!

Update: Because I wouldn't fill out the 1099 Dcd said he'd fill it out for me

They pulled today and won't be returning for their last week? I honestly don't understand why they reacted like this. I gave them a professional notice letter and stated how sad and upset I was to part ways but that given the current situation I had to do what was best for my family.

I mentioned that I couldn't fill out the form and that it could cause me to get audited as it would raise questions with the IRS. He said he would put in the form and make sure I was audited because I wasn't filing my taxes correctly!!! I said to him awestruck that I am a responsible person and he had no clue as to what the proper way to file my own business taxes were. I was actually so heated that I said to him that if any problem came of this he would be talking to an attorney come tax time.

I don't need this! I have worked my butt of to keep my business and sadly it didn't work out. I don't know what their motivation is to do this and I am in financial dire straits until my first paycheck 3 weeks from now. I will get over it but I can't get over how nasty the altercation was. I guess karma will have to figure this one out.
catinthebox 07:45 PM 10-28-2016
score one for the team! You go!!! Congrats and may the force and good fortune be with you
MyAngels 07:54 PM 10-28-2016
Congratulations on your new venture! I hope it's everything that you hope it will be

As far as the 1099 threat - it won't matter what they do as long as you file your taxes correctly and have all your documentation. Even if you were to get audited you'd win and if anything it would trigger an audit for them because they improperly filed a 1099.

I wouldn't give any of it another thought.
MunchkinWrangler 07:59 PM 10-28-2016
Originally Posted by catinthebox:
score one for the team! You go!!! Congrats and may the force and good fortune be with you
Thanks! The force is all I need!
MunchkinWrangler 08:01 PM 10-28-2016
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Congratulations on your new venture! I hope it's everything that you hope it will be

As far as the 1099 threat - it won't matter what they do as long as you file your taxes correctly and have all your documentation. Even if you were to get audited you'd win and if anything it would trigger an audit for them because they improperly filed a 1099.

I wouldn't give any of it another thought.
Thank you for that! I am a responsible person and for someone to judge my character this badly rattles me to the core. I guess I should have gave this an immediate closure notice next Friday but I'm not that type of person. That couldn't even respect that?!?
Josiegirl 02:58 PM 10-29-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
Thank you for that! I am a responsible person and for someone to judge my character this badly rattles me to the core. I guess I should have gave this an immediate closure notice next Friday but I'm not that type of person. That couldn't even respect that?!?
Try not to let it bother you. When people don't get their way, we see a whole different side of them. Some become like vengeful spoiled brats, which sounds like what is happening.

I wish you the best of luck in the upcoming chapter in your life!! And good luck with finding great care for your son!!
sharlan 04:21 PM 10-29-2016
I would send them a W-10 via registered mail so they have to sign for it.
mommyneedsadayoff 08:01 PM 10-29-2016
He should seek tax help because he has no idea what he is talking about. Really, even a simple Google search to see how the childcare credit works, which is probably what he did after he left the situation. I would ignore him and just go about life and enjoy your new job! He will figure it out later and you can move on to greener pastures
MunchkinWrangler 09:51 PM 10-29-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Try not to let it bother you. When people don't get their way, we see a whole different side of them. Some become like vengeful spoiled brats, which sounds like what is happening.

I wish you the best of luck in the upcoming chapter in your life!! And good luck with finding great care for your son!!
Thank you Josie, I did not see any of this coming!
MunchkinWrangler 09:53 PM 10-29-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I would send them a W-10 via registered mail so they have to sign for it.
Good idea, I think I might do that. They want to play hardball then that's what I'll do. I told them that that was the only form that was needed and I wasn't even required to do provide that for them. Needless to say I got a little mad.
MunchkinWrangler 09:56 PM 10-29-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
He should seek tax help because he has no idea what he is talking about. Really, even a simple Google search to see how the childcare credit works, which is probably what he did after he left the situation. I would ignore him and just go about life and enjoy your new job! He will figure it out later and you can move on to greener pastures
Right?!? He's self employed also but I made sure to let him know that my tax forms are way different then his and that he doesn't know what is required of me, but I do.

I just got so mad because it was a stab at my character and for no reason. I felt I was being respectful by giving them proper notice. I write in my contracts that my childcare services are at will and I can terminate immediately without reason. Thanks!
Tags:tax form, w-10
Reply Up